Auto Gratuity Deadline Removal

montrealroyalc

Will be gong on a 14 night cruise shortly. I was wondering what is the latest the auto gratuities on my onboard account can be removed. Can it be removed the last night of the cruise or does it have to be by a certain day? Thanks for your input.
Usually several days before the end of the cruise.

They let you know when the deadline is.

It's not a good ideat to remove them because management sees that as a black mark against all those assigned to you, if you are getting bad service from one particular person, it's mich better to ask to speak to their supervisor and report the issue. If, as an example, a stateroom attendant isn't doing the job well, when you remove the auto tips, the waiters suffer, and they did nothing wrong.

To the OP. If this thread goes the way of previous ones, get ready for a lecture and possibly name calling. I see you have already received advice about not removing the auto-gratuity, and you only asked when was the last date you could remove them.:)

To the OP. If this thread goes the way of previous ones, get ready for a lecture and possibly name calling. I see you have already received advice about not removing the auto-gratuity, and you only asked when was the last date you could remove them.:)

No lecture from me, but perhaps someone could restate the ins and outs of removing the tips, as many people are unaware of how the system really works.

I cannot understand why someone would go into a cruise already planning to remove the autotip. The crew work long hours and deserve every penny.

On our last cruise our stateroom attendant was not the best, but I did not consider changing the gratuity because it would not only affect him but our waiters and all the others who work so hard. Not fair at all to them.

Please do not selfishly stiff those who work hard to make your week wonderful. Those dollars mean so much more to them than they do to us.

There is no benefit in doing so. 1). You've enjoyed the service received and the auto tip will reward them and tipping cash direct will only get pooled anyway. 2) there is an aspect of service you are not happy with so you should speak to the relevant management/guest relations and give them a chance to fix it. 3) you don't want to pay gratuity in which case cruising isn't for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will be gong on a 14 night cruise shortly. I was wondering what is the latest the auto gratuities on my onboard account can be removed. Can it be removed the last night of the cruise or does it have to be by a certain day? Thanks for your input.

Why remove them the last night of the cruise?

I cannot understand why someone would go into a cruise already planning to remove the autotip. The crew work long hours and deserve every penny.

On our last cruise our stateroom attendant was not the best, but I did not consider changing the gratuity because it would not only affect him but our waiters and all the others who work so hard. Not fair at all to them.

Please do not selfishly stiff those who work hard to make your week wonderful. Those dollars mean so much more to them than they do to us.

Why start another thread about removing autotips:eek: read all the old posts. When a person asks what is the last day they can remove auto tips when they are on a cruise, this only means to me they want to wait to the last minute to stiff the staff:( Hopefully I am not correct in this assumption. There are no more assistant room stewards and the main stewards are working very hard to keep everyone happy. In the Suites the Butlers are helping the stewards keep up with the work load.

Edited by happy 2 b cruising

Who said anything about not tipping? I simply asked when the deadline is for removing auto gratuities as I always tip in cash anyways and I"m not interested in waiting at guest services when we board as their is usually quite a long line. I thought it would be easier to do it later in the week. Some individuals on this forum need to calm down, who do think you are making assumptions of others and how they choose to go about tipping. These forums are becoming more and more unpleasant to visit as time goes by.

Who said anything about not tipping? I simply asked when the deadline is for removing auto gratuities as I always tip in cash anyways and I"m not interested in waiting at guest services when we board as their is usually quite a long line. I thought it would be easier to do it later in the week. Some individuals on this forum need to calm down, who do think you are making assumptions of others and how they choose to go about tipping. These forums are becoming more and more unpleasant to visit as time goes by.

Have to say, my initial thought was that you wanted to tip more and directly to the individuals...it's amazing that the first thought of so many was that you wanted to stiff everyone with no tips...

I thought a decision had to be made at the start of a cruise. I seem to recall a notice on the daily concerning auto gratuities. Never being one to ever consider removing them it was not something I took particular notice of.

But if you remove auto grats and tip in person, those tips are pooled so the staff you want to tip see no additional benefit, so why bother? If you want to tip extra, leave the auto tips in place then any additional tips go to the person you give them to. The ONLY valid reasons for removing auto grats are to not tip at all or if you want the gratification of being thanked for handing over an envelope to someone who will wonder why you didn't leave the auto grats in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But see, you cannot tip in cash to many of those who share in the auto-tip.

Why not if you have access to them? Sure some people you will never see but if one removes the auto tips it will not change. If one wants to give a staff member extra in cash then do so. My only suggestion is to be discreet about it to avoid any possible angst from fellow staff members

Why not if you have access to them? Sure some people you will never see but if one removes the auto tips it will not change. If one wants to give a staff member extra in cash then do so. My only suggestion is to be discreet about it to avoid any possible angst from fellow staff members

If one removes the auto tips it WILL change. Once you remove them, the staff is notified that if you receive money from ______________, you have to turn the money into the tip pool.

Be discreet to avoid possible angst? Maybe possible if the amount you intend on giving is truly large, otherwise, why would someone risk their job instead of turning it in.

The staff is notified of who removes the auto tips.

If one removes the auto tips it WILL change. Once you remove them, the staff is notified that if you receive money from ______________, you have to turn the money into the tip pool.

Be discreet to avoid possible angst? Maybe possible if the amount you intend on giving is truly large, otherwise, why would someone risk their job instead of turning it in.

The staff is notified of who removes the auto tips.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who told you all this?????? Just curious, have you ever seen reports of such notification to the staff ?

signed, a good cash tipper

Don't get why anyone would want to take off the Auto Tips.

Just don't get it, and don't give me the crap I tip extra,

was at Guest Relations last cruise and someone was trying to reduce the

daily amount to $10 as they thought this was enough.

If you don't want to pay the tips don't cruise

Why removed the auto tip? You can always give cash to those who give extra or exceptional service. You can get envelops at guest Relations. Of corse we all have different preferences and habits.

Don't get why anyone would want to take off the Auto Tips.

Just don't get it, and don't give me the crap I tip extra,

was at Guest Relations last cruise and someone was trying to reduce the

daily amount to $10 as they thought this was enough.

If you don't want to pay the tips don't cruise

If i do not want to pay the tips I go to GR and have them removed. They do not tell me not to cruise - so why do some on here feel the need to ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If i do not want to pay the tips I go to GR and have them removed. They do not tell me not to cruise - so why do some on here feel the need to ?

Sorry, that's just wrong. The pricing structure, like it or not, is tipping is required to help the crew get a decent wage. Sorry but that's the way it is. If someone doesn't tip that's just wrong. They are only stiffing the crew. And yea, maybe tips should be included by they aren't. I don't care what the practice is in some other countries, this is not the same pricing structure.

Edited by Duanerice1