Am I cutting it too close?

Jae351

What time of year? Direct flight or do you have changes? Domestic or international flight? You have to be checked in ready to board by 3:30. Yes, the airport is very close although there probably will be a 15 min drive to get to the ship. You have to get off the plane - I always seem to be nearly the last off - get to baggage claim, get out of the terminal and get a cab. Way too close for my comfort. Weather delays can cause you to miss your ship.

Picture of Hollywood airport and Port Everglades (taken from Southwest Airlines plan after Westerdam cruise):

BG-51.jpg

I would be nervous with any same day flight. My hubby and I decided when we were given a red-eyed flight (for my second cruise) that we would demand it changed and never, ever again allow that to happen (most of our cruises are from our home port, which is an hour's drive, and even for those, we strive to be out the door by 10am). Too many issues can arise including weather, labor problems Even problems at another airport that have nothing to do with your own or destination airport can affect flights. Now we make our own travel arrangements and stick with our plan.

for our train trip to get to our Alaskan cruise that started on a Sunday, we booked a Friday evening arrival (and ended up getting in four hours late so we were glad to have Saturday to recover).

Our flight lands at 12:05 and ship depart time is 4:30 from Fort Lauderdale. Word is that the airport is directly across the street from the port.

Barring no flight delays, have I allowed enough time to board?

Lets assume your flight lands exactly on time, and you have some checked luggage. Until you get off the plane, to the luggage area, and retrieve your luggage it will likely be about 12:50. Then you can walk outside, grab a taxi, and be at the port a little after 1pm which is fine. Now, lets assume your flight gets delayed by weather, mechanical failure, or whatever and you do not get to FLL until 3:00! You get to the port about 4:10 and are denied boarding because you were supposed to be there at least 90 min prior to departure time.

Or, assume you do get in on time (or a little late) but your luggage was left behind or went to the wrong airport. It does happen.

This is why experienced cruisers know that it is always wise (for multiple reasons) to fly-in at least 1 day early. If you are OK leaving your trip in the incapable hands of a US airline....then you should spend the next few months in church or synagogue praying.

One other thing. Are you taking a closed loop cruise? Are you traveling without a Passport? Many cruisers use only picture ID and a birth certificate which does meet the requirements for most closed loop cruises. But if you miss your cruise and the cruise line or airline wants to help get you to the first port to catch your ship....that is not possible without having a valid Passport.

Hank

I think, yes, you are are cutting it to close.

Barring no flight delays? That happens very often.

I am sorry but I would not take a chance of missing my cruise.

You could make it if nothing goes wrong.

Edited by janetz

IF everything goes the way it is supposed to - no weather or mechanical delays, no missed connections, no misdirected luggage - you will make a 3PM cutoff time. IF and only IF.

Should you miss that cutoff time no amount of begging or pleading at the terminal will get you on board. The cruise line would have to restart the 90-minute clock with Homeland Security and it would foul up their scheduled departure. (Plus added overtime $$ for harbor pilots, linesmen, wharfage fees.) You will be denied boarding and will have to fly to the next port. If you are traveling without a passport and that next port is outside the US you are screwed since any international flight requires a passport.

I've seen last minute arrivals get turned away on a transatlantic crossing. Next port - Southampton, UK. Those passengers lost their entire vacation.

This might sound like I'm being very harsh but the required checkin time isn't negotiable. Some people love drama but there is no way I would book a flight that close to sailing.

Edited by BlueRiband

You are fine if your flight is within a couple hours of the planned arrival time. Kind of risky, but living on the edge can be exhilarating.

So...is it "fine" or "risky"? Seems you contradict yourself.

To the OP: Your 4:30 departure is actually at 3:00, due to the need for checking in well before the ship actually sails. So you are down to a bit less than 3 hours between arrival at FLL and check-in time. Know that arrival is merely scheduled, and anything within 15 minutes is "on time" when it comes to flight stats. Put yourself towards the back of an aircraft and there is another 5 to 10 minutes as everyone in front of you gets off. Now, the walk to baggage claim. Now waiting for your bags. Now schlep the bags out the door. Now wait in line for a taxi. Now drive over to the port. Now wait in the port security line at the gate. Now get to the terminal and pay cab driver. Now unload bags and transfer to porter. Now head into the actual terminal, go through a security screening and then to the actual check-in desk.

Beyond the actual time to do those tasks, each and every one of them has the potential for delay. Sometimes just a minute or two, but it could be significant. How's that 2 hours and 55 minutes looking now?

In the end, it all comes down to your risk tolerance. Do you feel lucky?

To directly answer the question as the OP actually intended to word it: barring any flight delays you will absolutely have enough time to board.

But to address the hyperbole of all the other responses: cruise lines and travel agents regularly book flights arriving up until 1:00-1:30 for their clients leaving Florida ports. Is it risky? No more so than a flight scheduled to arrive the same day at 9:00--as delays tend to cascade and are made up only after subsequent flights are cancelled. So in my book you are no more likely to have a problem reaching the ship than anyone else flying in the same day.

And everyone barking the response that the only responsible thing to do is to fly in a day or more early needs to take into consideration how that is not always possible for those of us with job or family responsibilities that cannot be abandoned as early as one wants. In my case I flew from Florida to embark a cruise in Montreal the same day; the flight was delayed and did not arrive until almost 1:30--but the cruise line reps were still in the baggage claim waiting for the roughly two dozen cruisers on that flight. As long as you have entered your flight information into online check-in, and fully completed online check-in, you name is on the manifest and contrary to the urban legend repeated ad nauseum on these boards you will not be removed from the manifest by a certain deadline--as long as you show up before the gangway is pulled you will be on your cruise.

Edited by fishywood

to directly answer the question as the op actually intended to word it: Barring any flight delays you will absolutely have enough time to board.

But to address the hyperbole of all the other responses: Cruise lines and travel agents regularly book flights arriving up until 1:00-1:30 for their clients leaving florida ports. Is it risky? No more so than a flight scheduled to arrive the same day at 9:00--as delays tend to cascade and are made up only after subsequent flights are cancelled. So in my book you are no more likely to have a problem reaching the ship than anyone else flying in the same day.

And everyone barking the response that the only responsible thing to do is to fly in a day or more early needs to take into consideration how that is not always possible for those of us with job or family responsibilities that cannot be abandoned as early as one wants. In my case i flew from florida to embark a cruise in montreal the same day; the flight was delayed and did not arrive until almost 1:30--but the cruise line reps were still in the baggage claim waiting for the roughly two dozen cruisers on that flight. As long as you have entered your flight information into online check-in, and fully completed online check-in, you name is on the manifest and contrary to the urban legend repeated ad nauseum on these boards you will not be removed from the manifest by a certain deadline--as long as you show up before the gangway is pulled you will be on your cruise.

sounds----uummm---fishy !!

As long as you have entered your flight information into online check-in, and fully completed online check-in, you name is on the manifest and contrary to the urban legend repeated ad nauseum on these boards you will not be removed from the manifest by a certain deadline--as long as you show up before the gangway is pulled you will be on your cruise.

Wow, that's quite a claim. Can you absolutely PROVE that this is true for every single cruise line?

Edited by Langley Cruisers

No way I would risk it that close!

My panic/anxiety level would be ultra high!!

If you can change your flight, I would fly in the day before.

Are you willing to risk your cruise?

As others have stated, in a perfect world you could make it. I worry about the potential glitches

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will have to CHECK IN 90 mins prior to sail away.....you should have plenty of time. I know everyone says get there a day early...and in most cases, I agree....but not everyone can do that. Your flight times are ok...if all goes according to plan.

I arrived for a cruise due to a flight delay just in time to see the doors close at the terminal 60 mins prior to departure. I made a big stink about it and the person at the door got the nod to let me in - but believe me they do shut you out! I have never been late again as I fly the day before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jump all over me however you want. But the bottom line is the end result of this thread will be another brand new member to Cruise Critic who likely will never return because their simple question was replied to with a stream of arrogant pompous self-righteous criticism designed only to make them feel stupid for even asking if their choice was appropriate. And anyone who dared try to say something supportive to the OP becomes the target of personal invective. You care more about being right than actually answering the OPs question. I almost feel sorry for the others who have to put up with you in real life. (But really I don't--saying how I actually feel would get me booted from this site. Which come to think of it may be a relief)

Jump all over me however you want. But the bottom line is the end result of this thread will be another brand new member to Cruise Critic who likely will never return because their simple question was replied to with a stream of arrogant pompous self-righteous criticism designed only to make them feel stupid for even asking if their choice was appropriate. And anyone who dared try to say something supportive to the OP becomes the target of personal invective. You care more about being right than actually answering the OPs question. I almost feel sorry for the others who have to put up with you in real life. (But really I don't--saying how I actually feel would get me booted from this site. Which come to think of it may be a relief)

Oh my, forgive them for they no not what they say. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and folks are free, or not, to respect what you say. But the problem is you are simply wrong! It is not about being "stupid" "supportive" or what ever other label you choose to use....but about facts. Now we understand that in todays world "facts" no longer matter, but to those left at the pier waving goodbye to their cruise ship (and their money) it does matter.

So please, do not get personal...but simply deal with facts. And the facts are that some flights are going to be late or canceled and that some folks will miss their cruises because of that fact! No denying it as there are literally thousands of examples (especially during major weather issues). The best way to avoid that problem is to get to a port as early as possible. That is another fact! And another fact is that the closer you cut it....the more risk you take! All facts. Nothing personal. And we are not even talking about delayed baggage (have seen this happen too many times) which can often be avoided by getting to a port at least 1 day early.

In our experience, when posters start attacking other posters it is because they realize they have an indefensible argument...so they attack the poster (this would be right out of Sol Alinsky's play book). So please...if you disagree with facts posted....then certainly present your point of view. But do not attack the bearer of facts.

Hank

To directly answer the question as the OP actually intended to word it: barring any flight delays you will absolutely have enough time to board.

But to address the hyperbole of all the other responses: cruise lines and travel agents regularly book flights arriving up until 1:00-1:30 for their clients leaving Florida ports. Is it risky? No more so than a flight scheduled to arrive the same day at 9:00--as delays tend to cascade and are made up only after subsequent flights are cancelled. So in my book you are no more likely to have a problem reaching the ship than anyone else flying in the same day.

And everyone barking the response that the only responsible thing to do is to fly in a day or more early needs to take into consideration how that is not always possible for those of us with job or family responsibilities that cannot be abandoned as early as one wants. In my case I flew from Florida to embark a cruise in Montreal the same day; the flight was delayed and did not arrive until almost 1:30--but the cruise line reps were still in the baggage claim waiting for the roughly two dozen cruisers on that flight. As long as you have entered your flight information into online check-in, and fully completed online check-in, you name is on the manifest and contrary to the urban legend repeated ad nauseum on these boards you will not be removed from the manifest by a certain deadline--as long as you show up before the gangway is pulled you will be on your cruise.

A truly STUPID conclusion. All you politically correct readers: please note that I did NOT call anyone stupid - I know that is a big non-no. But the conclusion expressed is truly stupid.

Online check in rarely, if ever, has any provision for inputting arriving flight data. If the flight were booked through the line, as part of a package, there may well be line reps hanging around the airport - but otherwise there might not be.

Access to the boarding area will be closed off well before the gangway is pulled in. There is a chance that boarding might be delayed - but unless there is a general delay, the agents who issue the boarding cards (sign and sail cards) would have closed up shop well before the gangway is pulled in.

Frankly - the above is an appalling exercise in attempting to give false hope to a first time poster.

Sure, OP might very well make the ship with no problem - most likely if the flight arrives close to scheduled time - but he is entitled to receive competent and credible response -- and not tripe like the above.