Questionable service dog on the Westerdam

igraf

Service animals do not require credentials.

You only have to be willing to answer two questions correctly, so many people apparently lie and claim their animal is a service animal so they can take it with them on trips.

Comfort animals are not service animals, so it's up to the cruise line as to what documentation, i.e. letter from a doctor, they require.

I have seen numerous animals that obviously we're not " working" in my travels.

Recently at our airport a young man sat near us with a small dog. A young lady asked about the dog and he replied that it was a service animal. The young lady replies, "so what is your handicap?". The man replied, "it keeps me calm".

I could not believe the young lady had the nerve to ask such a question!

A number of people who are deaf have hearing dogs to warn them of danger. These people could be perfectly mobile and have good eyesight. These kind of dogs are allowed on public transport

Thank you. I used to try to explain on threads like this one that cruise passengers may encounter people like me with invisible disabilities.

Before I say anything, I would like to say that my wife and I love dogs. Our current Border Collie was a rescued underweight stray and is now trained to compete in agility and flyball trials. We do know a thing or two about training highly intelligent dogs.

Anyhow, a couple brought their corgie with them on a recent Westerdam cruise. The dog was of the short-leg toy stature typical for the breed. The dog was marked as a "service dog" but all it did was follow them around on the end of a long leash just like any other dog would do.

The couple in question appeared typical older HAL passengers but perfectly ambulatory. I watched them in the Lido buffet and they had no trouble collecting their food and walking over to a table with the unhelpful dog in tow. The dog was totally distracted by other people and paid little attention to the owners, unlike a genuine service dog that would have been wearing a harness and been trained to respond to the owner's situation.

It appears to me that these people abused the service dog rules just so they could bring their dog along with them on the cruise. I found it to be unsanitary and really annoying as we and other passengers made arrangements for dog care while cruising.

The only thing that the ship officers/managers would say is that these people had the correct paperwork. The real shame was that there was a totally blind woman on board who really could have used a service dog, but even she did not bring a dog.

igraf

I have a friend who is severely hearing impaired and has a service dog, which is a corgi. Her need is legitimate and the dog is an amazing gift and companion for her. To look at her, she is "normal". This little dog may save her in case of a fire, it lets her know when the doorbell rings, it alerts her if she's left water running in the sink, and the list goes on and on. It is not for anyone to judge why a person has a service animal.

Perhaps that was the one I saw in a stroller on Koningsdam being wheeled around on deck 7 by what I thought was the butler. No owner in sight....

It was a cute West Highland White and I just thought - "I hope that dog is allowed to run freely and doesn't have to sit in a stroller and/or its owners legs or handbag all its life."

Saw this same dog onboard too in the stroller and a sign that said Service Dog on the stroller. and then another time not in stroller - no ID vest - "owner" waiting for elevator and the dog was around the corner not within site of the owner - no leash.

I posted earlier in this thread about an obvious "fake service dog".

Let me be clear that I have all the admiration in the world for service dogs.

They provide so many services to so many people.

Speaking for myself, I don't judge by appearances when it comes to service dogs and their owners. I know many disabilities are not obvious and there is no reason for anyone to have to disclose theirs.

I have done a lot of work with service dogs, rehabilitating dogs and the SPCA. I know a "non service" dog when I see it and they and their owners that insist on trying to bring them along under fraudulent pretexts put a bad light on service dogs and make others questionned.

And I think it goes without saying I am a dog lover ;)

Edited by kazu

Saw this same dog onboard too in the stroller and a sign that said Service Dog on the stroller. and then another time not in stroller - no ID vest - "owner" waiting for elevator and the dog was around the corner not within site of the owner - no leash.

Why would a 'Service Dog' require a stroller? I thought a service dog was a working dog?

Why would a 'Service Dog' require a stroller? I thought a service dog was a working dog?

I don't know the answer about the stroller. Maybe there is some explanation.

I did just Google and saw various ads that allow you to purchase a kit to make any animal "certified" - complete with a letter and an ID vest - all for minimal fees - just pay the fee and the bogus certificate is yours - no testing, no proof of need required. It's all about bending, breaking, stretching regulations for personal desire and not true needs.

I also saw and read sites that explain various types of service, comfort, therapy, emotional support animals.

It's all very sad because like Kazu and others have said, there is legit need for these type of services and they can so much good. Those selfish folks that bend the rules should be ashamed of the shadow of doubt that gets casts towards those that actually need a service animal.

So, this cruise it was a dog in a stroller. Next cruise maybe a therapy duck or a comfort rabbit will be at my assigned dining table when I get there. What is proper attire on Gala nights for a duck or rabbit?

True, legit therapy dogs are often in strollers, etc. Unfortunately, with the "me" generation going through our colleges now, who require safe rooms and therapy when something doesn't go their way, I have a feeling we're going to start seeing more of these dogs in the near future. :rolleyes:

True, legit therapy dogs are often in strollers, etc. Unfortunately, with the "me" generation going through our colleges now, who require safe rooms and therapy when something doesn't go their way, I have a feeling we're going to start seeing more of these dogs in the near future. :rolleyes:

What is a 'therapy dog'. And why would it be in a stroller? Is a 'therapy dog' a 'service dog'.

Do 'therapy dogs' have the same 'rights' as 'service dogs'.

What is a 'therapy dog'. And why would it be in a stroller? Is a 'therapy dog' a 'service dog'.

Service dogs are not therapy dogs or comfort dogs. Therapy or comfort dogs do not have the same rights service dogs.

Check out post #55 for more info about service dogs and the ADA. Very informative. It makes you realize how many people abuse this law

I was on a cruise a couple of years ago, and there were multiple service dogs. One couple, both blind, each had a dog. She told me that it cost her more than her ticket for the dog. All the paper work and documentation from the vet cost so much, she would not do it again.

You can buy fake service dog licenses on line. Cost is about $75 and people use it so they don't have to pay air fare for their pet and just want to take their dog with them. I can't stand it. As a psych ARNP I'm frequently asked to say someone should be allowed to have a pet in a restricted building. Another lady asked for a note for the airline that she needed her service dog but she had no official papers. I say no, get a trained service dog and pay for it.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

You can buy fake service dog licenses on line. Cost is about $75 and people use it so they don't have to pay air fare for their pet and just want to take their dog with them. I can't stand it. As a psych ARNP I'm frequently asked to say someone should be allowed to have a pet in a restricted building. Another lady asked for a note for the airline that she needed her service dog but she had no official papers. I say no, get a trained service dog and pay for it.

You really should know that 1) there are NO Official Papers for service dogs.

2) A "trained" service dog can cost thousands of dollars and sometime are "trained" by people or places that are not very reputable. That is why a Service Dog can be trained by its owner - there are many Owner-Trained Service dogs that do a fabulous job.

Yes - there are cheaters - but don't throw out the baby with the bathhwater.

I do not know you - but I'd think compassion would be an important part of your job - and sorry but you sound a little burned out.:)

Recently, I was on a K'dam cruise and saw two dogs in the Neptune Lounge and around the ship at various times. Both appeared to be Yorkies - one was usually carried around by a man who explained that he was a "brittle diabetic" and the dog would alert him to oncoming episodes of high/low blood sugar.

The other dog was sometimes in a stroller, with a cute ribbon on top of it's head. Both dogs had vests, but I didn't see any patches or indication of their status.

I have a severe hearing handicap, but I now travel with a human who does even more for me than a service animal would. :rolleyes:

I do not know you - but I'd think compassion would be an important part of your job - and sorry but you sound a little burned out.:)

No I'm not. I just refuse to enable cheaters to take a pet on a plane free or live in a restricted building and won't move to where there is a charge for keeping a dog. I won't lie for them. I have made the suggestion a few patients be allowed to keep a comfort dog but not the abusers. You must meet certain guidelines to need a comfort dog and most don't.

No I'm not. I just refuse to enable cheaters to take a pet on a plane free or live in a restricted building and won't move to where there is a charge for keeping a dog. I won't lie for them. I have made the suggestion a few patients be allowed to keep a comfort dog but not the abusers. You must meet certain guidelines to need a comfort dog and most don't.

Sorry crusinpsychRN that you had to defend your stance here i.e. compassion and burnout.

Maybe you should have said " I'll sign off on ANY animal " and " heck I don't care, free air travel for all the Fidos in the world"

Then you could of been accused of being lazy, dishonest, and poor at your job [emoji15]

Sorry , again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums