With Classic Drink Package - Can you order a drink with 2 liquors?

Susie B.

IMO, the only reason to upgrade is if you like high end wines or craft beers. We have never upgraded. Hubby gets is Jack/7, white russians, bloody mary's, mudslides, etc with no issue.

I for the most part am a Miller Lite girl. But if i want a margarita I can get a Patron Margarita on the classic pkg.

So for us, upgrading is a waste of money. I agree with what others have said, wait until you are on the ship and then decide if you can get what you want or not.

BTW, hubby has never had rot gut booze in his drinks. Like I said, Jack or a decent vodka, etc.

I can't see anything wrong with that - one person is drinking a Premium drink and the other is drinking a Classic drink, which matches the drinks packages you have.

Only if they were both drinking Premium wines at the same time. If they stick to one Premium and one Classic then they are ordering as per the packages. There is no rule to say people can't swap drinks.

I was asking out of curiosity - there are big discussions on Princess board about 'sharing beverage package'. In those situations only one had the package but would get a drink for the other person. Your point is valid if Classic and Premium drinks are ordered and then swapped.

I think the waiter should have given the guest the benifit of doubt and explained the policy discreetly.

Why? What part of "packages may not be shared" is hard to understand? This is a situation he put himself in by drinking a drink ordered on someone else's package.

I can't see anything wrong with that - one person is drinking a Premium drink and the other is drinking a Classic drink, which matches the drinks packages you have.

Only if they were both drinking Premium wines at the same time. If they stick to one Premium and one Classic then they are ordering as per the packages. There is no rule to say people can't swap drinks.

Drink packages are assigned to a person, not a couple.

Drink packages are assigned to a person, not a couple.

Exactly. It is cheating to swap drinks, even in the manner that has been suggested. It's right up there with not paying tips, maybe worse.

Why, when you spend thousands on a vacation, would one feel it necessary to do this sort of thing?

If you cannot afford to cruise within the rules, then you can't afford to cruise. Period.

I have the premium pkg for my wife and I so my comments don't apply to us. If I have classic and wife has premium and we order 1 classic and 1 premium drink what difference does it make who drinks it? How would we be cheating? We paid for for 1 of each. It would be cheating if I went to two different bars and ordered a premiem at each and then gave my wife 1.

Exactly, you are 100% correct. Could not agree more. For the life of me I cannot understand why people are arguing about it. Pretty simple really. Some people need to calm their farm.

Edited by tassie cruiser

IMO, the only reason to upgrade is if you like high end wines or craft beers. We have never upgraded. Hubby gets is Jack/7, white russians, bloody mary's, mudslides, etc with no issue.

I for the most part am a Miller Lite girl. But if i want a margarita I can get a Patron Margarita on the classic pkg.

So for us, upgrading is a waste of money. I agree with what others have said, wait until you are on the ship and then decide if you can get what you want or not.

BTW, hubby has never had rot gut booze in his drinks. Like I said, Jack or a decent vodka, etc.

No way do you get a Patron margarita on the Classic package unless you are a huge tipper or cozy up to the bartender.;):p

Edited by Oville

If one of you gets the Classic package, please be prepared to order drinks that are included on this package. Sharing isn't allowed, so you and your DH won't be able to exchange. Celebrity staff is trained to keep an eye out for that, and you run the risk of having your packages pulled. We were on Reflection and spoke with a man who was very upset because the bar staff came over and called him on drinking something someone else with a better package ordered. This was done in front of others, so he was embarrassed, but he admitted he was trying to cheat the system. We also once saw a waiter come over and take a drink away. So, just be aware of this. We always upgrade to Premium because we don't want to have to think about what is included and what is not, but not everyone feels that way.

Huh? I'm not a supporter of playing games by saving a whopping $11.50 a day as a couple, but I'd be shocked if any waiter would approach passengers and call them out. Man, they are way too busy to notice and it simply isn't their job. Finally, if rules are being broken, it will probably be security that intervenes, not bartenders or waiters. My guess is they too are to busy to care,

Edited by Oville

Interesting thought 'sharing'. As commented above, the upgrade is not that expensive compared to overall costs for cruise, air, excursions etc. I will upgrade if only for better beer selection. However DW is 99% sure to be happy with Classic package - I did think I might order a more expensive white wine for her, at dinner, on my Premium package and there could be an occasional extravagant cocktail. Is that Kosher ?

Note this is just curiosity from a first time Celebrity cruiser - we are inclined to upgrade both of our packages.

I think the official answer will be no. What's the difference between this logic, and having one person get drink package, another get the soda package, and then swap when the soda person wants an alcoholic drink. Either way celebrity is losing out on a sale (the extravagant martini for your wife) and you are paying less than you should (getting it free instead of paying the $12 she owes for that drink on her package). Drink packages are assigned to the person.

Would anyone say anything to you? Probably not, especially if the waiter got a tip or you left the area before switching drinks. Would I do it? No, it's not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly. It is cheating to swap drinks, even in the manner that has been suggested. It's right up there with not paying tips, maybe worse.

Why, when you spend thousands on a vacation, would one feel it necessary to do this sort of thing?

If you cannot afford to cruise within the rules, then you can't afford to cruise. Period.

why do you care so much what others are doing??? :eek:

The first package we had was the classic which was a free perk. We didn't feel like up grading so we stayed with that since we weren't going to be drinking much. What I would do is to order a vodka and then a few minutes later the kahula. I would then mix them myself.

Reminds me of a half price Happy Hour when I ordered a Gibson. The waitress said that would be full price, as only a martini was on the half price list. She was adamant, so I finally ordered the martini with a side of onions which she was happy to provide. Rules is rules, I guess.:rolleyes:

Don't know if this helps, it was posted on a cruise page last week. It's not real clear though.832c38a5a2eac35e40028c4416938a88.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the list. I tried to find it but didn't have any luck.

I think what it means is that if you have the "Premium" package, anything on all three lists is included. If you have the "Classic" package, anything on the Classic and Standard package is included and if you have the "Standard" package, you are limited to what is on that list only.

Happy Sails :)

If I upgraded on my 9 night cruise, I'd be spending basically the same as just buying individual drinks out of pocket. Upgrading isn't for everyone.

Not really.

The cost to up grade is a flat $11.80 per day, and increases the package coverage to $13.00 per beverage.

Last cruise the red wine the wifester liked was $13.50 a glass, with the upgrade we paid .59 cents for each glass, she had 2-3 with dinner alone. Without the upgrade it would have cost us $47.79 for the 3 glasses every evening!:eek:

That alone was quite a savings for our 10 days.

Notice the "I'd be spending...." because I would - at $11.80 a day (each day for 9 days) I would be spending just over a $100. For me, that's about what I would spend on board on alcohol without a drink package. If I don't have a package, most of the time, I don't think about having an alcoholic beverage. It's usually only 4-5 times during the cruise that I'll decide to indulge.

Not everyone is drinking high end wines or cocktails, heck, not everyone is drinking a lot of alcohol. Upgrading is a personal choice based on your needs and habits.

The best advice I received from the Celebrity board is to use the package for a day or so and then decide if you want to upgrade. I've sailed Celebrity 3 times so far - all with the drink package - and not once have I felt the need to or actually have upgraded the package.

Don't know if this helps, it was posted on a cruise page last week. It's not real clear though.832c38a5a2eac35e40028c4416938a88.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wow - I have not sailed on Celebrity yet - but I thought there was only Classic and Premium. Here is a link to Celebrity PDF

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/media/celebrity/shared_assets/pdf/Classic-Premium-Bev-Pckgs.pdf

I have the premium pkg for my wife and I so my comments don't apply to us. If I have classic and wife has premium and we order 1 classic and 1 premium drink what difference does it make who drinks it? How would we be cheating? We paid for for 1 of each. It would be cheating if I went to two different bars and ordered a premiem at each and then gave my wife 1.

It is cheating because if you have the classic drink package for the week and wanted to get a couple of drinks during the week that weren't on your package you would pay extra, by using someone else's card who may not be using it at that particular time to avoid paying is clearly stealing, if there is nothing wrong with what you are doing ask Celebrity if they are ok with switching cards whenever you want to avoid a charge. I'm sure they would disagree that there is "nothing wrong with this" mentality.

why do you care so much what others are doing??? :eek:

If you feel the need to cheat the system to save a few dollars go for it, but if Celebrity raises the price of the drink packages because people think it is ok to scam the system then I have the right to complain about those who do. I'm amazed at how anyone can't see that this is wrong.

What if someone on the classic takes a sip of someones premium drink will that be cheating?:confused:

Are you really equating taking a sip of someone's drink to switching cards throughout the week to avoid charges ? Justify it all you want, but if you asked a Celebrity representative if this is allowed do you think they would say this is fine to do ?

From what I have read here and experienced both of you have to order the same package. One person cannot order a drink package for themselves and the other one not with the thinking that you will share one. I don't believe it works that way. :)

Not true. One can have classic, one premium. Or one non-alcoholic and one classic. Etc.

If you feel the need to cheat the system to save a few dollars go for it, but if Celebrity raises the price of the drink packages because people think it is ok to scam the system then I have the right to complain about those who do. I'm amazed at how anyone can't see that this is wrong.

When did I say I cheat???

I just said I don't get concerned with what others are maybe doing ... ie I am not a busybody.

It's between them and X.

On my cruise my sommelier gave us premium wines and dessert wines without us knowing ... was that cheating or just nice service??

Oh the shock and horror of it all. Do you extend your outrage to real world issues as well?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Every description I've read of the premium states 'everything included in classic plus). So, yes, 99.9% sure that the classic also includes all standard items and premium also includes all classic and standard items. As I understand it, it's not so much ordering off the lists given, it's ordering a drink up to a specific $ amount that is covered.

Edited by sanger727

In every walk of life someone will look at an agreement or arrangement and try to figure out how they can get the most out of that arrangement, it's human nature, and most people if they're honest do it some extent. Particularly if they're dealing with a large anonymous organisation.

Who hasn't walked out of a shop at sometime knowing they've been given too much change - in the UK that is theft. The shopkeeper loses out and so puts his prices up and everyone pays more. Who hasn't returned an item they don't like and claimed it's broken to get a refund.

My wife and I both had a classic package on a recent cruise. If she didn't want a drink I'd sometimes get two for me and ask for them in the same glass, no one blinked.

One early morning I left my wife sleeping and crept out of the dark cabin for an early morning coffee. On arrival at Cafe al Bacio I realised I'd picked up my wife's card instead of mine. I handed it to them and just said (honestly) that I'd accidentally brought my wife's card - no issue.

If I order and pay for an upgraded steak in Tuscan Grill and I say to my wife, "this is bigger than, I thought help me out, try a bit" have I broken the rules, as she is now eating food she hasn't paid for?

Like the dress code these are Celebrity's rules, rules they themselves choose to ignore when it suits them. As long as someone else's actions aren't likely to affect the health, safety and well-being of my family and others I leave it to Celebrity to enforce those rules.

Celebrity is making so much money on the drinks - packages or direct sales (£7 for a small draft Heineken!) I doubt they care too much if occiaiosnally you swap drinks if it means you keep booking holidays with them

Edited by DYKWIA