Celebrity losing its way?

JanineM

Okay, now tell us what you really think of Celebrity...So far, so good!

If the Reflection does not meet my needs in suite classes before, I will definitely be posting that information on CC; however, if they do like they have done in the past(except for the Millie to Alaska,) I will post that also as non biased as possible. I hate paying more than $9,000 for an S1 TA for 16 days, but it seems like quite a few don't seem to mind as much. At least my OBC is excellent! For this sum, I expect to be pampered, taken care of if there are issues, along with being resilient on things that are not that big of a deal. We have yet to encounter any major issues and are Elite, but paying a large sum for a suite needs to be a good fit, so Celebrity know that you are being held accountable. I sure hope I don't experience a decline in the quality of food, service or anything else that has been posted on her lately.:D I have another S! on the Reflection booked for 2018, but it has all the perks and the price was right! I do think the ship, cabin and time of year have a lot to do with how well you are treated...we no longer do the Caribbean, as endless beaches and too much drinking onboard are not a part of why we cruise. We cruise because we enjoy itineraries that are educational and relaxing...one does not have to have lots of money as quality is so much better than quantity IMHO...Celebrity...can you still hear me????? Please don't disappoint!

Edited by Lastdance

Wow, I never realised they had that tag line. That sets any business up to fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember Cunard's line in 2004-2005: "Float off Somewhere". As you read the saying, it slowly faded as you read the line. We did a Princess trip in Feb. It's slogan was "Come back New". These slogans last a few years & then some overpaid hack comes up with a new one. "Modern Luxury" has fit the Solstice class ships so far. We'll see how our third trip fares later this Jan.

There is certainly a lack of consistency on Celebrity lately. I don't know if it's the crew, the passengers or what. But I've sailed on 6 celebrity cruises (5 different ships) in the last 3 years and the experience has varied quite a bit. The last one, a 14 day on the Eclipse was probably the worst for on board experience. The bar staff were downright depressing, especially at the pool and sunset bar, and I hated our sommelier. Most of the musical entertainment was better suited to a funeral than a cruise. No music by the pool most days and when they did have live music it was terrible. But the food was some of the best I've had on an X cruise lately. The 3 or 4 cruises before that, the food was just ok and sometimes terrible but the onboard entertainment and bar staff were terrific.

For sure I've noticed less staff, longer waits for drinks, poorer overall quality of food, crappier towels, and fewer of those little perks you expect on an "upscale" line. Also the continual hounding for the specialty venues, shops and other onboard upsells is getting a little old now. If I wanted to be pestered like that I would attend a timeshare event. And it's not just X, most of the lines are doing it. Everything seems to be about the upsell now.

Obviously the lines have to change as the target audience changes. Today's target is not the same as it was 10 or 20 years ago. My mom and dad (in their late 70's) seem to complain about everything on Celebrity now, but we usually like the stuff they complain about. That will be us in 25 years:D

We've done two 14 day Caribbean trips on the Eclipse. The next one is in a few weeks. We'll see how it goes.

So one person complained about a crowded summer cruise to Bermuda. And a few others complained about Christmas and New Year cruises. Those are some of the worst times to cruise across all cruise lines due to the ships being at max capacity with lots of families onboard. If you review the other cruiseline boards you will see complaints of horrible experiences on holiday cruises. I myself had a horrible summer cruise to Bermuda several years back (massively crowded decks, kids running loose everywhere, staff overwhelmed and unable to keep up with cleanliness and long lines). If I measured all cruises based on that one experience I would never have cruised again.

I have been cruising Celebrity since 2013 and have my 5th cruise coming up in a few weeks. I have not noticed a massive decline in service since I started cruising as others have described on this board over the past year or so. I have encountered a mediocre staff member or two on occasion but I've seen that with nearly every business I have frequented multiple times so it's the exception rather than the rule. I've had an off meal or two also, but that was from the very first cruise, and again the same thing happened to me on other cruiselines. Overall though I've found the service and food to be excellent year over year and they have been the most consistent cruiseline that I have sailed with.

I get it if you've been cruising with them for 20 years or so and noticed significant changes. I think the cruise industry as a whole has changed though. It all started with NCL going "freestyle" and that's a trend that has changed dining, dress codes, entertainment, etc. Much of what was seen as the "stuffiness" of cruising from days past has been shed for a more relaxed environment and some people just don't like that. There are still cruiselines offering that type of experience though so instead of staying with a cruiseline that you feel has evolved into something you don't like anymore then move on to something that does. Why stay with something you don't like and continually complain about it? I can only speak from my experience and any of my friends or acquaintances who have cruised Celebrity in the past few years has loved it and either rebooked or plans to again in the future.

We got off our third Reflection cruise in 3 years in early December. We did notice a significant decline in our experience since our first Reflection cruise. The CD was brand new to his role, and had no idea what he was doing. He was awful.

On our 2015 cruise, there were talks about ship operations, demos by various chefs, talks about the ports that didn't involve shopping. This time, other than a few dance classes, competitions at the pool and trivia, all the activities had to do with shopping. All the talks were about luxury goods sold on the ship, or what to buy in port.

In the MDR, the sommelier and the waiter were ridiculously rushed. Both in the MDR and in the Lawn Club, the chefs couldn't cook a steak or a burger properly. I order mine medium rare; they got my order correct exactly once over 7 days.

We sailed Concierge, and I do have to say that they were very attentive to our needs and our comments.

But if this had been our first Reflection cruise, I'm not sure there would have been a second.

I also agree about Celebrity not knowing who their clientele is. While they do have to attract new cruisers, they also have to please the guests who are actually on the ship. Didn't seem like they cared about doing that. And the production shows, which were previously very good, were awful.

Edited by dread_pirate

I really do not pay attention as to who Celebrity markets to. As long as I enjoy my cruise I'm fine. We also do not cruise around the holidays or summer since we do not need to. That does make a difference.

Just back from a 10 day Eclipse cruise and it was wonderful. Was it as good as our first Celebrity cruise? Probably not but I didn't expect as much back then.

We don't cruise in suites so we don't expect to be pampered but just like good service. It was there, every where we went. Never had a problem getting a drink but we also don't hang out at the pool so maybe that's the issue.

My only complaint was with the activities. In the evening there was pretty much the show and that's it. Maybe there was more but I guess nothing that interested me. Same with sea days although I don't care that much because I have my balcony :)

We cruise other lines but Celebrity has been our go to for a while.

We have cruised Celebrity since 2008, although not exclusively. We are Elite+ and our last cruise was a Transpacific on Millennium in September. It was not a bad cruise, but for the first time we disembarked without another cruise booked. This year we have three land based vacations planned and after those we will see if the excitement of cruising has returned. The increase in prices does not fit well with the decline in standards. We will never book a suite, and Celebrity's emphasis seems to be very much geared to those in high cost accommodation.

Sheila

Edited by smtcan

. My mom and dad (in their late 70's) seem to complain about everything on Celebrity now, but we usually like the stuff they complain about. That will be us in 25 years:D

It has to do with level of expectation.

If you are accustomed to having certain things that you like on a cruise, you notice and miss them when they are changed or taken away.

New cruisers don't realize when things have changed and most likely are not even aware of what used to be provided that is now missing or downgraded.

These posts about recent cruises are concerning me. We normally cruise twice a year. Due to a move in 2016, we have not been on a cruise since March 2016. Our next cruise is scheduled on Silhouette, in March for seven nights, followed by 11 nights on Equinox in Sept.

We felt that the cruise on Equinox last March was the best one we had taken in several years. The crew was amazing, the entertainment (production shows and vocalists) were excellent. We tend to avoid comedians and jugglers. The Beyond the Podium series about the history of Broadway musicals was informative and entertaining. We were in a suite and enjoyed Luminae and Michael's Club. We found the food in the Ocean View to be pretty standard- was nothing to write home about, but wasn't horrible. Yes, the Martini Bar was packed and we only stopped by a couple of times because of that. We don't go to the pool, so can't comment on the music. Rarely did we have a problem getting two seats in the Solarium pool.

Have things changed that drastically in a year?

The tattoos and beer bellies on our last cruise would certainly not meet her 'modern luxury' description. In fact I would say our Sep cruise on Eclipse was less classy than our first ever cruise on RCI on independence.

Funny thing. My husband and I both have tattoos and I have a problem with my weight that I've spent the last year finally getting a handle on. Our next cruise on X is a celebration of my graduation from medical school at the age of 39.

If you see us across Michael's Club or Luminae, you needn't lower yourself to try and have a conversation us "less classy" people.

Thanks in advance.

Not to discount your experience, but as someone in my 30's it is hard to afford a 10-14 day cruise when you factor in the time away from work (and I dont mean just financially). Also as a former employee, I can tell you that longer cruises and European cruises can be very different experiences because many of those who are on board are retired or semi-retired.

.......My only complaint was with the activities. In the evening there was pretty much the show and that's it. Maybe there was more but I guess nothing that interested me. Same with sea days although I don't care that much because I have my balcony :)

We cruise other lines but Celebrity has been our go to for a while.

The same for us.

We find it pretty pathetic when you get a cruise director whose idea of entertainment is trying to see which side of the room he can incite to make the most noise.

"Modern Luxury" is so much more than a slogan, it is the product positioning which should guide everything Celebrity does. If Celebrity really believed in offering consistent Modern Luxury, a thread like this would be unnecessary.

Obviously, Modern Luxury is open to interpretation, and that is where Celebrity has been inconsistent and has got into difficulties with its core loyal customers. (Who really is the Celebrity customer??)

We have some 20 cruises on Celebrity, and are Elite Plus. This issue came to a head for us a couple of years ago. We were on the Reflection, and the rap/hip hop Miami DJ music at the pool and in the lobby was so thumping loud and ubiquitous that it ruined our Modern Luxury cruise experience. We and many other passengers complained about this unacceptable volume to the CD at the Cruise Critic gathering. He told us outright that Celebrity was targeting a new younger demographic (we are just 60), and that perhaps Celebrity was no longer the line for us :eek:. He suggested we try another cruise line :eek::eek:!

That is exactly what we did for the past couple of years. I am pleased to say that this December we decided to give Celebrity another chance. Our cruise on the Reflection was much better than our previous experience. Not only was the music level lively and varied but it was at an acceptable level. We also saw some welcome innovations in entertainment and in Ocean Cafe. The ship was sparkling, the food good and the service excellent. Quite frankly, based on this very recent experience, we did not feel that Celebrity had regressed.

Lossing it´s way? It has long lost it! First time X- cruisers coming from other mass mart cruise lines will be still impressed- that may be true. Loyal cruises who know the experience from the mid 90´s to the early 2000´s will be missing or lacking their experience with X. Cuttings here and there- loud music - those silly drink packages included or for free or that 123 go nonsense- all that took a litte of the " Extra" of X. They just can´t cater for everyone! Seems the X -managment succeeds in doing so - so why should they consider a change of course! I will try the new Edge Class- since I am really fond of their loyality concept- well some of it at least, but for the time beeing Cunard is a nice option- or Princess- but the Princess experience remains to be " experienced" as of yet! Holland America is nice too- with a great service experience!

Edited by Germancruiser

The decline started with the drink packages...brought a changed demographic. Many did not care about other amenities or nicer aspects of the Celeb experience...just the alcohol and how they could avoid dressing up...

Funny thing. My husband and I both have tattoos and I have a problem with my weight that I've spent the last year finally getting a handle on. Our next cruise on X is a celebration of my graduation from medical school at the age of 39.

If you see us across Michael's Club or Luminae, you needn't lower yourself to try and have a conversation us "less classy" people.

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on graduating from medical school! Enjoy that next cruise!

Sent from my TM101A620M using Forums mobile app

Totaly agreed hcat- another BIG mistake- " evening chic" - utterly nonsense as well! Also the ships got more and more crowded! That started with Solstice Class ships! I could go on and on...! Cabanas- for a ridiculous price- now all over the place- spoiling even the view on the lawn- totaly lack of prommenade deck- as for the Millenium Class almost no more deck chairs around the prommenade deck. So everyone has to gather on the upper deck at sea days- beware to want a chair after 10 am...! Okay you still can do what many seem to do- becoma a " chair hog"!

There is no special Celebrity Identity anymore. We enjoy our cruises but with lowered expectations... We were fortunate to have cruised quite a bit while they did offer Modern Luxury on X...and most everyone on board shared that special feeling.

I guess we're the voices from the wilderness with no frame of reference, but after eight years on Royal, we found our cruise on Reflection such a breath of fresh air that it was like cruising for the first time again! Hardly any crowds, anywhere (although the chair hogs did come along to the solarium :() The music seemed much less intrusive, there was no false formality at dinner, Blu was amazing, etc. Hardly any kids, and those that were aboard weren't hanging out on the stairs at midnight.

So, for us, (early to mid 50's), we found the current Celebrity product to pretty much be exactly what we were looking for. Which is not to downplay those with much more experience who don't feel that way.

The decline started with the drink packages...brought a changed demographic. Many did not care about other amenities or nicer aspects of the Celeb experience...just the alcohol and how they could avoid dressing up...

Couldn't agree more. The day we saw that, we said it would be the end of Celebrity as we knew it.

I have to disagree. We love the beverage packages - makes it so much easier than signing for each and every drink, and we don't have any surprises at the end of the cruise. I wouldn't cruise (on any line) without it. Does it mean we just drink to get drunk? Of course not. We also love the formal nights (and will still dress up), and I'm disappointed that the dress codes have disappeared. I don't like seeing shorts or jeans in the MDR, and I do wish that they would enforce whatever standards they have set, although I'm not sure what "evening chic" really means. Seems like anything goes these days.

The way I see it is that cruising has become so affordable over the years, many more people are cruising. I don't think that this means that standards have to be lowered, but with so many ships and so much competition, all the lines are posturing for everyone's cruise/vacation dollars. Not all lines are a good fit for every consumer, and vice/versa, but there is something for everyone. To me, Celebrity is and always has been one of the "mass market" lines. I've always considered them to be among the top of that group, but they are not and never have been a "luxury" line. That's fine with us, as long as they have a good product, which we have always been happy with. We did try Oceania last year, and were not terribly impressed. It was a nice vacation and a beautiful ship, but we left feeling that it was not so much better than Celebrity - in terms of food and service - that it was worth almost twice the price.

I also agree. After I've had a few, the food taste better and service and surroundings become less important, hence the rave reviews.

I feel having experienced Celebrity over the past few years that the management listen to the markets and investors rather than their guests. It's been going this way for a while. My perception is the same as the OP. X don't really know who they are and kid themselves with the income of their demographic.

We've done two 14 day Caribbean trips on the Eclipse. The next one is in a few weeks. We'll see how it goes.

I think most of the entertainers were due to change so you might get a better bunch (unless of course you like an Alanis Morrisette type singer who just made me want to slit my wrists). And hopefully the bar staff got a talking too. There were actually quite a lot of people mentioning the poor attitude of the staff at the bars. I think we were on the first cruise after the ship came from the Med. So that might have had something to do with the odd selection of musical acts. But it doesn't explain the pissed off bar staff.

I know this will go against the "theme" of this thread but I would prefer the ships to cater to a younger mix. The first Celebrity cruises I did felt like cruising on a hospital ship. The more recent ones have been better (except for that last one on the Eclipse). But the ships are big enough to accommodate all of us. There are lounges where elevator music can be played for those that are into it. And there is the Quasor club or Sky Lounge for those of us that would rather get our groove on:p (Picture awkward 50 year old dancing to hip hop). But believe it or not I do prefer the old formal format over this new one. And my group even looks pretty sharp on the regular nights:D. I just wish the experience was more consistent. One cruise great food, next cruise bad food etc. It should not be that hard to have decent food on all the cruises. Oh and in the theater, enough with the ventriloquists already, really does anyone like them?