Goodbye to Ocean Liners on Constellation ?

lovescarborough

Had four lovely meals in here this last week but sadly the staff seem to think the restaurant will be changed into Tuscan on the next refit. I assume the current Tuscan on deck 11 will then become Qsine. I think it is such a shame that this lovely restaurant might have to go. The same thing happened on Millenium. Why do management feel the constant need to bring everything down a level ?

Had four lovely meals in here this last week but sadly the staff seem to think the restaurant will be changed into Tuscan on the next refit. I assume the current Tuscan on deck 11 will then become Qsine. I think it is such a shame that this lovely restaurant might have to go. The same thing happened on Millenium. Why do management feel the constant need to bring everything down a level ?

I agree whole heartedly. We were told the same thing last February. We loved the restaurant. Ate in Tuscan and definitely will not revisit. To us, it's not worth the additional cost. My steaks at home are better. We felt it was as good as a slightly above average chain restaurant with nothing to make it special. Skipped it altogether on Eclipse in December, but did enjoy Murano very much. The view from Tuscan is IMHO a moot point, since after dark when sailing all I can see out the window is a reflection of the interior of the restaurant and the food is only average.

I too bemoan the loss of the Ocean Liner themed restaraunts on the M Class vessels as they were truly lovely venues with consistently high quality food and service. I also enjoy Tuscan Grille and found its location on the Connie to be ideal. I'm not a Qsine fan and would rather they had done the same refit on the other M Class they originally did on the Connie. If they really wanted Qsine added they should have used the rather wasted space of Bistro, now Sushi, on 5.

If I were doing a 14 day sailing on the Connie with the current venues I would do 5 nights specialty dining - 3 Ocean Liners, 2 Tuscan. Possibly even add a 6th night at one or the other. If I were doing the same voyage and the choices were Tuscan/Qsine I would most likely only do 3 nights, all in Tuscan. So how is revenue enhanced for the cruiseline???

Obviously the bean counters crunched their numbers and the Tuscan/Qsine combo in their estimation is the more profitable pairing. Much to our chagrin as passengers.

I too was a fan of those restaurants. I'll never forget our first experience of dining in the Olympic on the Millennium back in 2004. We have had some memorable evenings in those restaurants and I was very sad they changed them to Tuscan. I really thought that they would at least keep the Olympic especially since it has the original wood pannelling from the ship of the same name. Still love Celebrity but this was a step in the wrong direction in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Forums mobile app

is over in those great restaurants...so sad.

Had many lovely dinners there...with friends and I'm so glad there are pics to prove it!!! Why would they "dumb down" these special venues??? no clue??? LuAnn

The answer is simple: It costs less to have a sub par Tuscan than it does for a Murano-type restaurant. Food and ingredients in the Murano-type restaurants cost them a lot more than the pasta and Italian food that Tuscan serves.

Another indication of the morphing of Celebrity into a brand that attracts a demographic that is not us, sadly. :(

Times and people change but we (hopefully) have lots of vacation dollars left that won't be spent on a Celebrity ship.

I have to agree with others. I really enjoyed the specialty dining on the M-Class ships and am sad they are being converted to Tuscan.

We have only dined in Tuscan once and have to say - there was a reason we never returned. There was just nothing "Special" about it.

We will be sailing Connie in April for a 30 day B2B in a RS with unlimited dining. I am sure we will visit Ocean Liner more than once and can tell you we will probably give the Tuscan a miss.

Another indication of the morphing of Celebrity into a brand that attracts a demographic that is not us, sadly. :(

Times and people change but we (hopefully) have lots of vacation dollars left that won't be spent on a Celebrity ship.

I don't know who's they are trying to attract. I was on Equinox 10/2015 and sailed Millie over the holidays. Met quite a few first and self proclaimed last timers on this cruise. I dined in Quisine, Not impressed.

The staff was overworked, my Waiter in the Main Dining Room was doing the hand washing gel prior to our Dinner Service. He did a great job with our table however not the same. I tried Muranos on the Equinox it was much better than Tapas (Q).

At this rate they will not attract newcomers and may lose long time followers such as you. Wake up X I shouldn't have to ask for a shower cap or cotton balls.

The future cruise office was empty most of the time. And yes I did book for 2019, hoping things will change back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too was a fan of those restaurants. I'll never forget our first experience of dining in the Olympic on the Millennium back in 2004. We have had some memorable evenings in those restaurants and I was very sad they changed them to Tuscan. I really thought that they would at least keep the Olympic especially since it has the original wood pannelling from the ship of the same name. Still love Celebrity but this was a step in the wrong direction in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Forums mobile app

I had my best ever meal on any cruise in the Olympic, it was a shame they took it away. Tuscan on Summit was OK, but nothing to write home about. I'll be on Connie in four weeks and I've booked Ocean Liners for my birthday meal. I'm looking forward to it but the visit will be tinged with sadness that the venue is changing.

I agree as well; really enjoyed the M-Class version of Murano's. Sure the menus could have used some updating, but great ambiance and the food was of superior quality than the other specialty venues. Tuscan Grille is just not special ambiance wise and food quite mediocre and uninspired.

Nuts. Definitely my favorite specialty restaurant on any ship I have ever been on. I haven't eaten in Tuscan in at least two years, probably more, and Qsine is OK for a change every 5 cruises or so. Muranos is nice but not in the same league as OL. Maybe there really is something to the decline of the Celebrity product other than no water in Aqua cabins.

Great memories of meals and fellowship. The atmosphere was, for us, one of quiet elegance. We never saw it full or busy. Could always have a great conversation. Food was very good and always enjoyed our meals. The desert soufflés were some of our favorites although, they did seem to change over time.

Celebrity, I am sure, is changing as I mentioned above in part due to not being full and they must feel Tuscan Grill will generate better revenue/profits to bottom line. Secondly, I speculate, that they have calculated the potential lost revenues from previous/current repeat cruisers and they are still positive. Most of us complain, but do not change and they know this, thus over time most of us will go to the new venue too. I will most likely try Tuscan. Our favorite was USS United States on Infinity.

Edited by shipshape sam

We have never tried the Olympic restaurants on the M class ships but enjoy Murano far more than Tuscan. We have unlimited specialty dining on our Connie cruise next month and if OL is good we will probably dine there very often over the 14 nights (no wish for dinner in Sushi on 5 and Tuscan). Also, it's partly because they have removed these restaurants that we have steered clear of booking cruises on the M class ships. Hearing of food standards declining in the MDR while they take away the nice specialty restaurants isn't exactly appealing on a long cruise. We have eclipse and reflection booked after Connie and have no plans to go back to any of the M class ships for now (unless the Connie convinces us otherwise). It's really a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bertrande
Correcting typo

The last time I was in OL, we were one of 5 tables at 8pm. I bet this is partially a numbers issue--if more people will dine in Tuscan, then they'll make more money.

Perhaps if they brought the harpist back it would be busy again....

We too will miss these restaurants. We do go to Tuscan, but more for a change of pace than the quality of the food (although I do recall enjoying the tartare).

Mike

Celebrity, I am sure, is changing as I mentioned above in part due to not being full and they must feel Tuscan Grill will generate better revenue/profits to bottom line. Secondly, I speculate, that they have calculated the potential lost revenues from previous/current repeat cruisers and they are still positive. Most of us complain, but do not change and they know this, thus over time most of us will go to the new venue too. I will most likely try Tuscan. Our favorite was USS United States on Infinity.

The only problem with that is that we have been told more than once that, after the switch from an OL to Tuscan, that it is "still empty."

If Celebrity wanted to fill the Specialties they could do so in a heartbeat. Reduce the price to what it was for years (and where the prep and food quality were higher). ~$30 for the top tier (Murano et. al.), ~$25 for the mid-tier (Q Sine et. al.) and ~$20 for the lowest tier (Tuscan). You can then stop the discounting and free up the staff walking around all the venues pushing reservations.