Why not just get rid of "Chic Night"?

jsf

I disagree. I think people have a right to feel the way they do regarding dress code, particularly on whatever is now the "formal" nights. My wife and I feel elegant and 'Ritzy" when decked out. Makes an evening at sea what It was in the past, a very special evening. Having some dude some in ragged shorts, hat on backwards, and a wife beater tee shirt in the dining room in fact bothers me. Ya, I know all about I paid for my damn vacations and I'll wear what I want whenever I want........

Goody for them. I don't have to like it. What I dislike even more is the early dinner group rush back to the cabin to change into their grubbys while the late diners are still in their penguin suits.

Then you have my sincerest sympathies. Thinking like that can't be much fun at all. And in my world that's what vacations should be all about.

Especially considering you just don't see people dressed the way you describe on chic night.

While many people do not dress up any more, Many Many others do and seem to enjoy the dressier evenings(requested) On Caribbean cruises, my lady dresses with very nice modern clothes, it is her only chance to do so. Living in Florida dress is casual almost every where. While on longer cruise and tours in Asia, or Europe we tend to dress down a bit because of travel before or after a cruise and have no room for SPECIAL attire.

Then you have my sincerest sympathies. Thinking like that can't be much fun at all. And in my world that's what vacations should be all about.

Especially considering you just don't see people dressed the way you describe on chic night.

How do you know what I see or don't I on a ship? Kind of brass ones

Too bad you weren't on the Regal Princess last year from Feb.7-21. Saw PLENTY of pax dressed like that. Totally disgusting. True they were not allowed in the MDR, but still. seeing them eating like cattle in the buffet was pretty gross when we stopped up for a quick snack. It was superbowl week & by the next week they were all gone. Been on the Eclipse during the same time period & never saw anything like that during bowl week.

Respectfully suggest you get a new tuxedo fitted. I have never been uncomfortable in my tux; it fits properly. Of course, I am much more comfortable in the kilt with black tie accessories....but that is the nature of the kilt, if you wear it correctly. ;)

Not sure I see much difference between a kilt and a pair of shorts, but OK. :p

I personally look forward to the special nights and love bling , my husband spends time and effort to arrange his attire, and so we don't care how other people dress this is our holiday be who you want to be

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How do you know what I see or don't I on a ship? Kind of brass ones

For the purpose of clarity we need to stick to the facts. So bear in mind we're discussing Celebrity Chic night you wrote :-

I think people have a right to feel the way they do regarding dress code, particularly on whatever is now the "formal" nights. My wife and I feel elegant and 'Ritzy" when decked out. Makes an evening at sea what It was in the past, a very special evening. Having some dude some in ragged shorts, hat on backwards, and a wife beater tee shirt in the dining room in fact bothers me

A "dude" dressed in the manner you describe would not be allowed in the MDR during a chic night. Therefore I find it very hard to believe you have seen this. Maybe you're confused between the Oceanview cafe and the MDR.

Edited by Mynki

Too bad you weren't on the Regal Princess last year from Feb.7-21. Saw PLENTY of pax dressed like that. Totally disgusting. True they were not allowed in the MDR, but still. seeing them eating like cattle in the buffet was pretty gross when we stopped up for a quick snack. It was superbowl week & by the next week they were all gone. Been on the Eclipse during the same time period & never saw anything like that during bowl week.

No doubt, but I was discussing dress codes on Celebrity during chic night in the MDR. :)

OK.

So now you want to complain how people eat in the buffet so as to not bruise your delicate sensibilities? I take it you would been happier had they dressed in tux (or better, tails) to watch a football game.

Give me a break.

When we did our 1st Celebrity cruise on the Zenith in 1994, I had to wear a jacket to enter the main dining room every evening. Just 2 short years later on the Century it was only for the 2 'formal' dinners.

November 2015 on the Equinox, I did not pack a jacket.

But this is really nothing new. It was already happening in 1987, 50/50 on our very 1st 'formal' dinner.

image.jpg.28591736421a25ef2e66053933b2c3e1.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

Stay out of the buffet then.

The obvious but harsh reality is that when a guy has to route his belt under his belly, rather than across it, "chic" is not the term most would use to describe the situation. Couple that with a tee shirt emblazoned with "World's Greatest Grandpa" and socks worn with sandals plus a baseball cap which is never removed, even in the dining room, and I'd say we're ready to rock and roll. :)

The obvious but harsh reality is that when a guy has to route his belt under his belly, rather than across it, "chic" is not the term most would use to describe the situation. Couple that with a tee shirt emblazoned with "World's Greatest Grandpa" and socks worn with sandals plus a baseball cap which is never removed, even in the dining room, and I'd say we're ready to rock and roll. :)

I guess we have been very lucky on the 7 lines we have sailed on since 1987.

Why?

We have yet to 'SEE' anyone so dressed even at breakfast or lunch in the main dining room.

For the purpose of clarity we need to stick to the facts. So bear in mind we're discussing Celebrity Chic night you wrote :-

A "dude" dressed in the manner you describe would not be allowed in the MDR during a chic night. Therefore I find it very hard to believe you have seen this. Maybe you're confused between the Oceanview cafe and the MDR.

He scooted by the restaurant managers standing post by the entrance but this 20 something did in fact wear what I said. Someone got to him because the rest of the cruise he was somewhat presentable. There were quite a number of passengers complained to the staff management. Was not making this up for visual impact.

He scooted by the restaurant managers standing post by the entrance but this 20 something did in fact wear what I said. Someone got to him because the rest of the cruise he was somewhat presentable. There were quite a number of passengers complained to the staff management. Was not making this up for visual impact.

So it was a one off isolated incident concerning someone breaking the rules, which was subsequently dealt with and did not reoccur.

I'm really not sure that's worth becoming bothered by. You also need to bear in mind that that could have happened before or after the abolition of formal night.

As I see it, there are only a couple of rules that still apply. No shorts for men in the main and specialty restaurants, no sleeveless shirts for men in the main and specialty restaurants, no bathing attire in the restaurants, and no "ripped" jeans. Personally, we always "dress" in the evenings. I wear what I like and keep to the rules.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OK.

So now you want to complain how people eat in the buffet so as to not bruise your delicate sensibilities? I take it you would been happier had they dressed in tux (or better, tails) to watch a football game.

Give me a break.

Let's see..I had this woman sitting next to me dressed slovenly on the Regal, she lets out a loud belch & exclaims "My where did that come from? I looked at her & said "Certainly not from me!" We were getting a light snack. Since when has bathing shorts & wife beater T's been considered proper attire at night? I guess for you, they would be. So give ME a break!

Stay out of the buffet then.

The style of dress was noted all around the ship that first week. Like I said, they were not permitted in the MDR. But pax were dressed like that everywhere. That type of dress is not allowed even in the buffet. We sometimes grab a light meal later in the eve. so we venture to the buffet. Just never seen this amount of pax dressed like that at night. I'll just not cruise Princess at that time of year.

Let's see..I had this woman sitting next to me dressed slovenly on the Regal, she lets out a loud belch & exclaims "My where did that come from? I looked at her & said "Certainly not from me!" We were getting a light snack. Since when has bathing shorts & wife beater T's been considered proper attire at night? I guess for you, they would be. So give ME a break!

The style of dress was noted all around the ship that first week. Like I said, they were not permitted in the MDR. But pax were dressed like that everywhere. That type of dress is not allowed even in the buffet. We sometimes grab a light meal later in the eve. so we venture to the buffet. Just never seen this amount of pax dressed like that at night. I'll just not cruise Princess at that time of year.

Your posts are irrelevant to this thread. The topic of discussion is specifically about Celebrity's evening chic.

Originally Posted by BosoxI View Post

The obvious but harsh reality is that when a guy has to route his belt under his belly, rather than across it, "chic" is not the term most would use to describe the situation. Couple that with a tee shirt emblazoned with "World's Greatest Grandpa" and socks worn with sandals plus a baseball cap which is never removed, even in the dining room, and I'd say we're ready to rock and roll.

Why?

We have yet to 'SEE' anyone so dressed even at breakfast or lunch in the main dining room.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, you have been lucky. We saw this on our last few Carnival Cruises, the table next to us the guys did remove their baseball caps and wore shirts with a collar on formal nights in the MDR. Nice of them to dress up. I know we are talking about Celebrity but this is what is soon to come if they do away with Chic night completely. As Celebrity drops prices and gives free beverage packages you will see a different group of people.

I don't know for sure but people are lazy to lazy to dress and look their best. My tux jacket weighs less than one pound so no excuse not to pack it and take it with me (if I want). When your clothes are not comfortable its time to replace them with a size that fits. When the dress gets too sloppy we will just find a different Cruise line and let the sloppy people have Celebrity. Because it coming.

I've been following this thread and chiming in occasionally. I love the formal nights and will continue to dress up on chic nights (I wear dresses and heels every night to dinner anyway; I just kick it up a few notches on formal nights). I don't care if people don't want to put on a tux, but I also agree that we don't want to see shorts, etc., in the MDR of any cruise and, fortunately, that doesn't happen too often. However, I just can't buy into the theory that I've seen on this thread a couple times that the increase in people buying or receiving beverage packages has any thing to do with the clientele of the ship or the manner in which they dress. My husband and I are both professionals in our early/mid 50, and we've been cruising for years. We love the beverage packages and wouldn't travel without it. Do we drink more on vacation than we do at home? Sure; so what? It doesn't mean we are any less respectful of the ship's policies or just drinking to get drunk. It's a great value for us and certainly easier than signing for each drink. Last week on the Silhouette I probably drank half the daily value of the package in bottled water alone.

Sorry, I am not saying the beverage package is the reason why. We love the Premium Beverage package and have been taken it for years before they offered it for free and this is one of the top reasons we love Celebrity. I was referring to the price of the Cruise with all the free packages. My Celebrity Cruise is a much lower price than a 10 night Carnival plus the beverage package is much better. Combine low price with a very relaxed dress code and all you can drink I feel Celebrity will become Carnival. The food, service, entertainment are just not that much different what makes Celebrity is the guests on board and how they behave. For me.:cool:

Edited by southernbreezes

Why?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, you have been lucky. We saw this on our last few Carnival Cruises, the table next to us the guys did remove their baseball caps and wore shirts with a collar on formal nights in the MDR. Nice of them to dress up. I know we are talking about Celebrity but this is what is soon to come if they do away with Chic night completely. .

This is my fear as well. That if X does away with Chic night or starts turning their back on the "slobs" X will just become another Carnival. I have seen Royal Caribbean go down, in this regard, and next in line will be Celebrity. I agree with one of the posters that a Celebrity cruise purchased with all the perks is a better deal than the others. It's only a matter of time before word gets out! Let's keep the class and elegance Celebrity is/was known for.