Why not just get rid of "Chic Night"?

jsf

People wear clothes. They choose whatever they want to wear. That applies to being on or off a cruise. Clothing and cruising have both become more casual. It certainly makes packing for a cruise easier. Years ago, every night was dress up on cruises. Packing was overwhelming. Cruising was elegant and expensive. When Celebrity started cruising, the fashion police would not allow jeans, shorts, etc. into the MDR at dinner time. In 2004, I got back to the Millenium late from a Celebrity shore excursion. No time to shower or change clothes. I went to dinner wearing jeans. Fashion police stopped me. No buffet available for dinner. If I went back to my cabin to change, I would still miss dinner. Traditional dinner was a set time. If you arrived late, the doors were closed. Ate in jeans. Nobody dining seemed to care. Most people don't even look at other cruisers unless they are wearing something outrageous. Wear whatever and enjoy your cruise. Chic jeans are very popular. At $100+ per pair, jeans have become very acceptable everywhere.

That's exactly my point though - some people like one thing, and some people like another, and the current rules allow for both to co-exist. I'm mostly confused by the apparent need for everyone to participate in order for some to feel comfortable.

[Funny aside though - I work in a field that is *almost* rocket science]

I get ya!! And another funny aside, I worked for DoD with "rocket science" engineers! And my nephew currently works for Space X. We are a science-minded family who likes to have fun!

Is it just me, or does this sort of emphasis on "everyone must dress in fancy attire" remind anyone else of those nights where you don't feel like drinking but everyone who is drinking insists that you MUST participate or you'll ruin the fun for everyone?

Is it truly better to surround yourself with people who are wearing clothes they don't want to wear that evening? Does that really make them better dinnermates?

Sometimes I like to dress up, and sometimes I don't. If I were to be forced into a dress on a night I wasn't in the mood for it, I can guarantee you I wouldn't be making pleasant conversation.

I also find it fascinating that people seem to be uncomfortable with people "dressing down" when they're dressed up, but there isn't a similar issue with people who dress up in a situation that's more casual. What's the underlying motivation for this attitude? It can't just be about wanting everyone to be similar/participate, because then there would be dress code threads about how "those people in their gowns and suits need to stay out of the buffet".

Often those kind of posts simply highlight people's insecurities, inadequacies and other personality defects. Sometimes they highlight valid points. Don't take them seriously and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Mynki

Exactly, we should all be able to dress the way we want (within the guidelines) and should not be put down by others who feel differently.

Yes. And it applies both ways. I'm more into behaviour than how one dresses, but within the guidelines.

Small favor. When you return from your Cruise would you post what time you were instructed (written or verbally) to vacate your stateroom? Enjoy your Cruise. Bon Voyage.

Sure. No problem. We were asked to be out before 8AM the last time.(2015) Our attendant was ok with us vacating at around 8:30. It may very well have changed since then. I agree I'd hate to be booted off by 7AM. Considering how much most pax spend additionally on board, you'd think they'd cut us a little slack.

When I read these (never ending) "attire" threads, I can hear Gladys Kravitz yelling, "Abner, come quick, they are wearing white after Labor day". :D

If my vacation enjoyment depended on how others dressed, I'd simply stay home.

This falls under -- mind your own business. Honestly, I feel so badly for all the folks who are bothered by someone else's clothes to the degree you see here. You are on VACATION people -- stop creating unnecessary stress and drama.

Mike

I always love the old George Gobel remark on the Johnny Carson show: "Did you ever feel the world is a room full of Tuxedos & you're a pair of brown shoes?"

Sure. No problem. We were asked to be out before 8AM the last time.(2015) Our attendant was ok with us vacating at around 8:30. It may very well have changed since then. I agree I'd hate to be booted off by 7AM. Considering how much most pax spend additionally on board, you'd think they'd cut us a little slack.

Thank you. Enjoy your Cruise.

I've always thought that the act of putting on a tux was much more of an imposition than the "fancy dresses with flats" I saw so many women wear. To match the discomfort of the tux, all women should have been required to wear only gowns, with stockings and closed toed heels.

I'm joking, of course, but I often saw what amounted to simply a dark dress for the women with men having to push, prod and tuck all sorts of things into unnatural positions. It did make us walk upright, as the slightest bend would choke us about the neck, and punish us in other regions.

Not to mention, the tux is only good for formal nights, so you're taking up that space in your suitcase with an outfit you can only wear for a few nights. It's nice to not bring a garment bag in addition to our one suitcase each, plus one shared carry-on.

On Chic night, women get away with comfortable maxi dresses, in no-wrinkle, machine washable fabrics, that we can dress up for chic night with a few accessories and then wear them again during the day with walking sandals, flats or even tennies. They are more practical than formal dresses.

I don't care either way, if X eliminates Chic night or not. My husband and I dress smartly, but comfortably, every night of our cruises and will continue to do so.

Edited by Marelaine

Not to mention, the tux is only good for formal nights, so you're taking up that space in your suitcase with an outfit you can only wear for a few nights. It's nice to not bring a garment bag in addition to our one suitcase each, plus one shared carry-on.

On Chic night, women get away with comfortable maxi dresses, in no-wrinkle, machine washable fabrics, that we can dress up for chic night with a few accessories and then wear them again during the day with walking sandals, flats or even tennies. They are more practical than formal dresses.

I don't care either way, if X eliminates Chic night or not. My husband and I dress smartly, but comfortably, every night of our cruises and will continue to do so.

Celebrity no longer has formal evenings. Evening chic is for both women and men.

Celebrity no longer has formal evenings. Evening chic is for both women and men.

Yes, I know that. I was commiserating with the gentleman who was glad to be rid of formal night and tuxes. TBH, I don't see much difference in the way women dressed for formal nights and how they dress now for chic nights - maxi dresses and bling or black slacks and sparkly tops.

Yes, I know that. I was commiserating with the gentleman who was glad to be rid of formal night and tuxes. TBH, I don't see much difference in the way women dressed for formal nights and how they dress now for chic nights - maxi dresses and bling or black slacks and sparkly tops.

You said "Not to mention, the tux is only good for formal nights..." That's why my comment. The poster you quoted never said formal in his post. However your statement isn't correct as a tux can be worn on evening chic or any other evening if so desired.

Edited by davekathy

You said "Not to mention, the tux is only good for formal nights..." That's why my comment. The poster you quoted never said formal in his post. However your statement isn't correct as a tux can be worn on evening chic or any other evening if so desired.

I could be wrong, but I believe he was referring to formal nights when he suggested that women should have to squeeze themselves into gowns and heels to match the men's tuxedos.

And sure, a tuxedo could be worn every evening, or to the beach if one wanted, but there are more practical options.

I think wearing a tux on any other evening risks you looking out of place and overdressed , or people thinking you got the wrong night for evening chic.

Evening Chic is a very easy standard to meet and might easily be applied every night in the MDR. Giving people the opportunity to get wear out of clothing that I might otherwise be a bit of bind to pack and carry. It also helps maintain a slightly better dress standard in the MDR with sufficient flexibility to not be overly burdensome.

Edited by DYKWIA

I also find it fascinating that people seem to be uncomfortable with people "dressing down" when they're dressed up, but there isn't a similar issue with people who dress up in a situation that's more casual. What's the underlying motivation for this attitude? It can't just be about wanting everyone to be similar/participate, because then there would be dress code threads about how "those people in their gowns and suits need to stay out of the buffet".

I believe that the old rule of thumb is that it is better to be underdressed than overdressed. So, on a semi-formal night, it would be better for a man to wear a suit than white tie formal. Of course, most men don't know this or care about it. Times change and not always for the better.

I think wearing a tux on any other evening risks you looking out of place and overdressed , or people thinking you got the wrong night for evening chic.

Evening Chic is a very easy standard to meet and might easily be applied every night in the MDR. Giving people the opportunity to get wear out of clothing that I might otherwise be a bit of bind to pack and carry. It also helps maintain a slightly better dress standard in the MDR with sufficient flexibility to not be overly burdensome.

I agree but if my wife and I were to dress in formal wear every evening (which we never have or would) we could care less what others possibly would think.

We still dress formally on evening chic evenings. But that's our choice and we don't care if we are the only two that do so. That's the great thing about evening chic...choices.

Edited by davekathy

People wear clothes. They choose whatever they want to wear. That applies to being on or off a cruise. Clothing and cruising have both become more casual. It certainly makes packing for a cruise easier. Years ago, every night was dress up on cruises. Packing was overwhelming. Cruising was elegant and expensive. When Celebrity started cruising, the fashion police would not allow jeans, shorts, etc. into the MDR at dinner time. In 2004, I got back to the Millenium late from a Celebrity shore excursion. No time to shower or change clothes. I went to dinner wearing jeans. Fashion police stopped me. No buffet available for dinner. If I went back to my cabin to change, I would still miss dinner. Traditional dinner was a set time. If you arrived late, the doors were closed. Ate in jeans. Nobody dining seemed to care. Most people don't even look at other cruisers unless they are wearing something outrageous. Wear whatever and enjoy your cruise. Chic jeans are very popular. At $100+ per pair, jeans have become very acceptable everywhere.

Reinstate formal nights. Jeans are not acceptable dress for dinner. Yes, many people want to be more casual but where does it stop? Shorts, flip flops, swimwear, training shoes - cruise lines should police their dress policy, whatever it may be, then cruisers can be quite clear when booking the cruise as to how they should dress.

Reinstate formal nights. Jeans are not acceptable dress for dinner. Yes, many people want to be more casual but where does it stop? Shorts, flip flops, swimwear, training shoes - cruise lines should police their dress policy, whatever it may be, then cruisers can be quite clear when booking the cruise as to how they should dress.

On what basis do you say jeans are not acceptable dress for dinner?

Jeans are widely worn when people dine out, don't see many tuxedos - unless perhaps it's the annual widget sales conference and awards ceremony.

I'm not sure why a slightly more relaxed dress code means that it will end in bathing costumes. As barmy as saying if you start taking Aspirin where will it end, crack?

Celebrity says jeans are acceptable. That is all that matters.

Celebrity does make it clear how cruisers should dress. It is not what you want though.

Formal nights are not coming back. But cruisers can still wear formal wear.

On what basis do you say jeans are not acceptable dress for dinner?

Jeans are widely worn when people dine out, don't see many tuxedos - unless perhaps it's the annual widget sales conference and awards ceremony.

I'm not sure why a slightly more relaxed dress code means that it will end in bathing costumes. As barmy as saying if you start taking Aspirin where will it end, crack?

"annual widget sales conference and awards ceremony."

LOL, brilliant.

I agree, how on earth can someone say that jeans are not acceptable dress for dinner, according to who?

I think that jeans are acceptable wear for dinner, why not?:)

It depends upon where one is having dinner. At a casual restaurant, fine. At a nicer, fine dining establishment, I don't think that jeans are appropriate. I love jeans and I wear them quite a bit. Sure, I can dress them up, but IMO, they will never be appropriate for a formal dinner. I really don't see any difference between "designer" jeans and non-designer jeans. Jeans are jeans, and an expensive price tag doesn't make them better or different. Just my two cents.

I really don't see what other people wear as long as it isn't unintentionally ripped or dirty/smelly or show 'bits' I don't want to see. Why should I care? I've never understood why others care what I wear. I do notice bad behaviour though.

I love formal nights. I started cruising 3 yrs and 4 mo ago and have completed 6 cruises. My first Was Carnival, Caribbean cruise. We dressed nicely for dinner and spiffed up for Formal night. I loved it. Fast forward 3 years and our Modern luxury cruise line drops their standards. I thought part of cruising was the dressing up, and socializing. If I wanted to dress like I was going to the neighborhood pizza joint would have stayed home.

Furthermore Cruise casual is a matter of interpretation, many cruisers don't even know how to dress for that.

I agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never associated cruising with dressing up. I look for places I want to see, enjoy some down time, sleep in a nice bed and enjoy nice food and not have to keep packing up each day. Dressing up doesn't come on the radar unless I'm on a Cunard ship.

Edited by Pushka