Why not just get rid of "Chic Night"?

jsf

I love to dress every night on a cruise' date=' as previously stated. That being said, I also love comfort!! Dressing "elegantly" does not equate to spanx, evening gowns, stockings, and high heels. For me, elegant dress is an easy care, no-wrinkle maxi-dress (or 2 or 3) Easy to pack, easy to accessorize with bling earrings, and fun sandals. Also a simple pair of black dress pants, with 3 or 4 different dressy tops. All these items are easy to pack, lightweight and care free. No pressing needed upon arrival.

Again, with all that being said, I don't care what anyone wears. Just don't make the excuses about wanting to be comfortable and not want to have heavy luggage.

Comfort AND elegance can go hand in hand.[/quote']

What if we like to whine about it? Are you going to take away that cruise critic pleasure? :)

I like the old formal nights. People, in general, act in part due to how they dress. People felt good when they wore their tuxedos. They felt dignified. What do we have now? Sloppy jeans, bad manners, and no respect for one another. Bring back real formal night! If you don't like it, don't cruise. Drive to the Bahamas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The premise of this thread takes me back to Constitutional Law 101 in law school -- the [erroneous late-modern] idea that rules can only require or prohibit things. There is another approach that is very powerful in all societies: encouraging things. So the point of Chic Night is to encourage those who want to dress up to do so, in the hope that they will be the critical mass to dominate the ambience. If others choose not to participate, they should at least feel "underdressed" and uncomfortable. If they don't, that's just a sign that our society has lost the last shreds of civilization.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I like the old formal nights. People, in general, act in part due to how they dress. People felt good when they wore their tuxedos. They felt dignified. What do we have now? Sloppy jeans, bad manners, and no respect for one another. Bring back real formal night! If you don't like it, don't cruise. Drive to the Bahamas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The root cause of chair hogging.

I've always thought that the act of putting on a tux was much more of an imposition than the "fancy dresses with flats" I saw so many women wear. To match the discomfort of the tux, all women should have been required to wear only gowns, with stockings and closed toed heels.

Respectfully suggest you get a new tuxedo fitted. I have never been uncomfortable in my tux; it fits properly. Of course, I am much more comfortable in the kilt with black tie accessories....but that is the nature of the kilt, if you wear it correctly. ;)

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

The premise of this thread takes me back to Constitutional Law 101 in law school -- the [erroneous late-modern] idea that rules can only require or prohibit things. There is another approach that is very powerful in all societies: encouraging things. So the point of Chic Night is to encourage those who want to dress up to do so, in the hope that they will be the critical mass to dominate the ambience. If others choose not to participate, they should at least feel "underdressed" and uncomfortable. If they don't, that's just a sign that our society has lost the last shreds of civilization.

Ah ha!! I love the "encourage" aspect!! Now that I think about it, the crew seem to love when we ladies and gents dress up. They go out of their way to compliment us. I really get the psychology of this critical mass/dominate/others feel uncomfortable thing! Chic Night Psyc 101. Lol!!

No one cares if you wear a tux or whatever on Evening Chic night except your wife. No one will remember or care. Get over it......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We hear ya :). So if I show up at your table in a skimpy swim suit, nice clean chest hair, and my mickey mouse ears...you will be happy to be our table mates. Love it. "No one will remember or care,"

Hank

We hear ya :). So if I show up at your table in a skimpy swim suit, nice clean chest hair, and my mickey mouse ears...you will be happy to be our table mates. Love it. "No one will remember or care,"

Hank

Fat chance you would ever show dressed that way. You are too stuck in the mud. You will wear your penguin costume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I don't call that encouragement, I call it manipulative. (Which is not to say I disagree.) As to the Taxation and Spending Clause, I call that bribery.

Interesting thought process. I thought that Chic Night was a 'suggestion'. That would not rise to a rule would it? My question is that if you do not want to dress as per the suggested attire, is the alternative to only dress better on a continuum of casual to formal or is the suggestion just a suggestion with the intent you mention?

Edited by shipshape sam

For those of us that have been cruising for many years probably remember that the dress code used to be for the entire evening not just for the time spent in MDR.

Back in those days there was only one place to eat dinner. As soon as they offered the buffet and specialty restaurants as an alternative for not dressing formal they couldn't enforce the dress code for the entire evening. Also I remember 2 semi formal nights and 2 formal nights. I know I'm dating myself.

Interesting thoughts; thanks for sharing. I never would have thought to analogize this thread to my Constitutional Law class. I've probably blocked those days out :)

Well I just can't help myself from "dressing up" and wearing my bling all nights on our cruises. DH no longer brings his tux' date=' and most of the time, not even a suit. He packs a jacket and tie, but most nights wears a nice shirt and khakis. I, however, will be continuing to pack my maxi-dresses, silky tops and bling accessories.

These cruises are our "romantic" getaways, and each evening is like getting ready for a date! I have getting ready down to a science and it only takes me a half hour to an hour, depending on if the hair needs washing :) (every other day)

Semantics aside, I don't care if it's called formal night, evening chic, or casual, every night many of we ladies like to sparkle!![/quote']

Well said! Luckily for me, my wife also loves to "sparkle" every night on our Cruise. She also loves me in a Tux.

Honestly, I have more faith in my fellow =X= cruisers than many on here.

If their fellow pax are so "low class" that they would turn the dining experience into a day at the beach (Flip flops!! Shorts!! Wife Beaters, oh my!!), why do you continue to sail with them? And if you do, why do you care?

Either =X= isn't the "wonderful, upscale experience" that so many tout or it is just another mainstream line. It is one or the other.

And the lines that have booted formal nights and substituted a universal casual policy--albeit calling it "country club" (AZ, O, Viking and others)-- never seem to have a problem. Wonder why.

We don't care what others are wearing in the MDR on chic/formal nights, and I'm sure others don't care what we wear. We LIKE dressing up, DH wears his tux, I like my cocktail dresses and bling. Last cruise, DH was the only one to pack his tux and the rest were jealous. They are all packing their tuxes this cruise:D

LOL! Good luck with that! We've done 2 Oceania cruises and even with no formal nights and "country club casual" every evening there are still multiple dress code threads. Sine our next Celebrity cruise is Alaska after a week with family, we're very happy not to have to drag the formal wear with us. There will always be chair hogging threads, clothing threads, beverage package threads....

Honestly, I have more faith in my fellow =X= cruisers than many on here.

If their fellow pax are so "low class" that they would turn the dining experience into a day at the beach (Flip flops!! Shorts!! Wife Beaters, oh my!!), why do you continue to sail with them? And if you do, why do you care?

Either =X= isn't the "wonderful, upscale experience" that so many tout or it is just another mainstream line. It is one or the other.

And the lines that have booted formal nights and substituted a universal casual policy--albeit calling it "country club" (AZ, O, Viking and others)-- never seem to have a problem. Wonder why.

Me too. We sailed shortly after the introduction of chis night and didn't notice any difference compared to a normal formal night. This was a Baltic cruise with an older demographic, so things may change elsewhere, but people worry far too much about the change IMHO.

Ah ha!! I love the "encourage" aspect!! Now that I think about it' date=' the crew seem to love when we ladies and gents dress up. They go out of their way to compliment us. I really get the psychology of this critical mass/dominate/others feel uncomfortable thing! Chic Night Psyc 101. Lol!![/quote']

"Nudge theory" everybody is using it these days

Me too. We sailed shortly after the introduction of chis night and didn't notice any difference compared to a normal formal night. This was a Baltic cruise with an older demographic, so things may change elsewhere, but people worry far too much about the change IMHO.

I disagree. I think people have a right to feel the way they do regarding dress code, particularly on whatever is now the "formal" nights. My wife and I feel elegant and 'Ritzy" when decked out. Makes an evening at sea what It was in the past, a very special evening. Having some dude some in ragged shorts, hat on backwards, and a wife beater tee shirt in the dining room in fact bothers me. Ya, I know all about I paid for my damn vacations and I'll wear what I want whenever I want........

Goody for them. I don't have to like it. What I dislike even more is the early dinner group rush back to the cabin to change into their grubbys while the late diners are still in their penguin suits.

I disagree. I think people have a right to feel the way they do regarding dress code, particularly on whatever is now the "formal" nights. My wife and I feel elegant and 'Ritzy" when decked out. Makes an evening at sea what It was in the past, a very special evening. Having some dude some in ragged shorts, hat on backwards, and a wife beater tee shirt in the dining room in fact bothers me. Ya, I know all about I paid for my damn vacations and I'll wear what I want whenever I want........

Goody for them. I don't have to like it. What I dislike even more is the early dinner group rush back to the cabin to change into their grubbys while the late diners are still in their penguin suits.

This is a straw man. I have been on three cruises since the change and passengers are not wearing ragged shorts, wife beaters, hats on backward or like someone else proposed swimsuits or pasties to the MDR on Evening Chic evenings. They are not wearing that on Smart Casual evenings either. The only evening you might see some shorts is embarkation evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I agree with you; people have a right to feel the way they do about the dress code. If you don't like that some dress less than formal, that is okay, but realize that it is okay if people think that formalwear is way over the top and that is not what they want to do. One should only try to dress in a way that they feel comfortable dressing and not worry about what anyone else thinks or does.

BTW, I just got off a cruise Saturday and saw them not let a man into the Opus dining room for breakfast, because he had a sleeveless t-shirt on, so I don't think you will be seeing a lot of wife beater t-shirts in the dining room on evening chic nights and, just as information, I didn't see anyone on any night with ragged shorts (no shorts other than some young ladies with cute rompers on), caps worn backwards or wife beaters in the MDR on evening chic or any other night, so you should be fine and not bothered.