Why not just get rid of "Chic Night"?

jsf

I utterly agree with the sentiments of the OP. Only because I like to dress up every night for dinner and I dont give a rats [sentiment deleted so the mods dont delete my entire post *sigh*] about what people are wearing for whatever theme the night is supposed to be. In resort towns of an evening I have had strangers stop me in the street to compliment my clothes. Evening Chic is every night in my book when I am one holiday.

I've always thought that the act of putting on a tux was much more of an imposition than the "fancy dresses with flats" I saw so many women wear. To match the discomfort of the tux, all women should have been required to wear only gowns, with stockings and closed toed heels.

I'm joking, of course, but I often saw what amounted to simply a dark dress for the women with men having to push, prod and tuck all sorts of things into unnatural positions. It did make us walk upright, as the slightest bend would choke us about the neck, and punish us in other regions.

You can complain when you have 1) worn a wired bra for 18 hours daily and 2) carried a baby around for nine months pre-birth and afterward for 1 year on your hip. :)

Edited by Fish Lover

Totally agree blaming luggage and airline reasons are just excuses!! Even with my overpacking' date=' I manage to get all my "stuff" in a large suitcase. So does DH. And we each bring a carry-on.[/quote']

I don't blame the airlines per se, but they are part of the reason we no longer bring formal wear on a cruise.

Airlines do charge for bags now and also limit the weight as a previous poster must not be aware of. For sure you can bring another bag or go over the weight limit and there is a charge on both legs of the trip (both flights).

I can also see that some people choose to bring other things, other choices too in the style/amount of other clothes. Thus, you may get all your things in, but others not.

I loved wearing my tux, but I am over it now and unless they were to change back to formal wear, I have no plans to bring a suit. I do bring a sports jacket, shirt, tie and stone colored chino slacks. If that doesn't get me in, I will go eat somewhere else.

Others may not even want to wear a jacket at all, thus the issue the CRUISE lines have created for themselves and the passengers by not enforcing the 'suggested' attire.

I generally wear my Tux on chic nights. But after reading some of these comments I am thinking about conducting my own Senior Hairy Chest contest, while sharing MDR tables with those that like to dress down. After all, if we no longer have etiquette or standards...then why not? I am sure our tablemates would love to have this Senior guy wearing a name brand swim suit and showing off all the gray chest hair. And in order not to insult anyone...perhaps I could wear pasties.

Hank

It may come to that! :)

I can see men coming in with Hawaiian Shirts on and the top 2/3 buttons unbutton as a start on that slippery slope.

Totally agree blaming luggage and airline reasons are just excuses!! Even with my overpacking' date=' I manage to get all my "stuff" in a large suitcase. So does DH. And we each bring a carry-on.[/quote']

Agreed, and I bring lots of shoes - mostly heels to go with the fun dresses and skirts. Even my husband will pack five or six pairs of shoes. We generally take one large suitcase each, a rolling hanging suitcase, a carry on each and sometimes a medium size one that we like to share.

I still think that the "chic" thing (whatever that really means) was likely meant to be a compromise between the faction that still likes to dress up (me, included) and the group that complained about not wanting to. I guess time will tell how people interpret it and how far it is stretched.

Others may not even want to wear a jacket at all, thus the issue the CRUISE lines have created for themselves and the passengers by not enforcing the 'suggested' attire.

Suggested attire for Evening Chic is a long sleeved dress shirt. Jacket, suit, or tux are optional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suggested attire for Evening Chic is a long sleeved dress shirt. Jacket, suit, or tux are optional.

I should have been more clear. The cruise lines have NEVER really informed their own 'suggested' attire, thus whatever it is, people will test it.

I bring my jacket as I have had dinner at Captain's table and not sure just a 'long sleeved dress shirt' works. Last 2 cruises, did not even go to MDR on formal/evening chic nights. Went to speciality dining and did wear my sports jacket. shirt, but no tie.

I can tell you that there were men in speciality restaurant with short sleeve shirts on evening chic designated nights. They were camp type shirts and looked nice.

I should have been more clear. The cruise lines have NEVER really informed their own 'suggested' attire, thus whatever it is, people will test it.

I bring my jacket as I have had dinner at Captain's table and not sure just a 'long sleeved dress shirt' works. Last 2 cruises, did not even go to MDR on formal/evening chic nights. Went to speciality dining and did wear my sports jacket. shirt, but no tie.

I can tell you that there were men in speciality restaurant with short sleeve shirts on evening chic designated nights. They were camp type shirts and looked nice.

Specialty restaurants are Smart Casual every night.

The last two times I had dinner at the Captain's table was under Formal nights and I was wearing my tux, but both those last two times there was someone not wearing a jacket at the table, only a dress shirt. Didn't seem to matter to the Captain or the hostess. So if I ever get invited again I am not going have a jacket and not worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The last two times I had dinner at the Captain's table was under Formal nights and I was wearing my tux, but both those last two times there was someone not wearing a jacket at the table, only a dress shirt. Didn't seem to matter to the Captain or the hostess. So if I ever get invited again I am not going have a jacket and not worry about it.

Good to know. Me too if we ever are invited again. I understand that they are now in the Speciality restaurants which is nice too.

Edited by shipshape sam

No one cares if you wear a tux or whatever on Evening Chic night except your wife. No one will remember or care. Get over it......

Guess what, no one cares what you wear either. No need to be rude.

Actually I think their website just says "shirts with sleeves" - both short and long-sleeved shirts have sleeves.

I'm currently on the Infinity and I can report that there's nothing special about the menu for Evening Chic. For last nights 'elegant' night, they had Pork and Beans as a special entree. Also, tonight is also listed as a Chic night which I'm guessing must be a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm currently on the Infinity and I can report that there's nothing special about the menu for Evening Chic. For last nights 'elegant' night, they had Pork and Beans as a special entree. Also, tonight is also listed as a Chic night which I'm guessing must be a mistake.

Bummer. No Rack of Lamb or Lobster on any of the Chic nights?

I just got off the Reflection on Saturday and they had lobster on the second evening chic night. Not sure about the rack of lamb.

Might be ship dependent?

.....I'm joking, of course, but I often saw what amounted to simply a dark dress for the women with men having to push, prod and tuck all sorts of things into unnatural positions. It did make us walk upright, as the slightest bend would choke us about the neck, and punish us in other regions.

Spoken like a man. One who has never had to wear not only an underwire bra, as mentioned previously, but has had to push, prod and tuck themselves into a pair of Spanx. Another reason I'm happy to leave my formal gowns at home.

If some people need to dress formally, then they are still welcome to do so. But the cruise line has relaxed the dress requirements so that the rest of us have more options. I'm not sure why some posters insist that this equates to torn cutoffs and wife beaters in the MDR. Customs and fashion change over time. No doubt some posters still remember the time when tuxedos were considered relaxed dress for evenings.

I love to dress every night on a cruise, as previously stated. That being said, I also love comfort!! Dressing "elegantly" does not equate to spanx, evening gowns, stockings, and high heels. For me, elegant dress is an easy care, no-wrinkle maxi-dress (or 2 or 3) Easy to pack, easy to accessorize with bling earrings, and fun sandals. Also a simple pair of black dress pants, with 3 or 4 different dressy tops. All these items are easy to pack, lightweight and care free. No pressing needed upon arrival.

Again, with all that being said, I don't care what anyone wears. Just don't make the excuses about wanting to be comfortable and not want to have heavy luggage.

Comfort AND elegance can go hand in hand.

Spoken like a man. One who has never had to wear not only an underwire bra, as mentioned previously, but has had to push, prod and tuck themselves into a pair of Spanx. Another reason I'm happy to leave my formal gowns at home.

The other poster had the ultimate trump card, though ... carrying a baby for nine months! I certainly can't argue with that!

I kind of think the opposite: I see it as a concession to the crowd that didn't want to dress formally.

The option was to go to all "country club casual" (a la AZ, O, Viking) or leave a vestige of the formal nights (now "chic" nights). They are quite cognizant of the changing demographics and, to quote a senior officer "want to open up cruising to a wider audience."

I think they have done that and applaud the effort.

It's your vacation. Wear whatever you want. Dress up or down. Please keep it clean. The old formal night wasn't really formal. The new chic night is too confusing. I prefer smart casual. I have cruised on other lines that never had any formal or chic nights. Somehow, everyone seemed to dress well.

Well, you certainly were not on the Regal Princess last Feb.7-21 B2B. That first week cargo/bathing shorts & string tank tops were the norm. Truly disgusting. During the day, fine, but not on formal night. Seemed the "football" crowd was the culprit. A week later, everyone seemed dressed fine. smart casual & more dressy on formal nights with the few who have no clue as to what decent dress was. The one good thing that first week was you never saw them in the MDR. The Maître D was pretty strict on that. The buffet, however was packed.

I utterly agree with the sentiments of the OP. Only because I like to dress up every night for dinner and I dont give a rats [sentiment deleted so the mods dont delete my entire post *sigh*] about what people are wearing for whatever theme the night is supposed to be. In resort towns of an evening I have had strangers stop me in the street to compliment my clothes. Evening Chic is every night in my book when I am one holiday.

I love being able to compliment someone who's gone out of their way to look stylish. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to see you & tell you how wonderful you look.

I love to dress every night on a cruise' date=' Again, with all that being said, I don't care what anyone wears. Just don't make the excuses about wanting to be comfortable and not want to have heavy luggage.

Comfort AND elegance can go hand in hand.[/quote']

Well said, thank you!

luvstosail

Boston Ma.