Why not just get rid of "Chic Night"?

jsf

Yes, you have been lucky. We saw this on our last few Carnival Cruises, the table next to us the guys did remove their baseball caps and wore shirts with a collar on formal nights in the MDR. Nice of them to dress up. I know we are talking about Celebrity but this is what is soon to come if they do away with Chic night completely. As Celebrity drops prices and gives free beverage packages you will see a different group of people.

I don't know for sure but people are lazy to lazy to dress and look their best. My tux jacket weighs less than one pound so no excuse not to pack it and take it with me (if I want). When your clothes are not comfortable its time to replace them with a size that fits. When the dress gets too sloppy we will just find a different Cruise line and let the sloppy people have Celebrity. Because it coming.

Celebrity is not Carnival and I have not seen Celebrity dropping prices. My cruises with drink packages have had higher prices than the ones without packages. The packages certainly are not free. We are paying for them. If you think you are getting something for nothing you have fallen for their marketing con.

As far as being lazy, when I go on a cruise it is to be lazy. I don't need to dress to impress. Packing a tux has never been an issue because of weight. I just don't want to any more. On the three cruises I have taken with Evening Chic none was wearing shorts to the MDR on Evening Chic or other evenings. People didn't look sloppy in the MDR. I didn't check out the buffet but I don t know why anyone cares how anyone dresses there. I thought that we wanted and encouraged passengers who didn't want to dress up to go to the buffet not the MDR. I don't think Carnival style it is coming on Celebrity. I think the company will maintain its niche because otherwise it doesn't have any reason to exist separate from the Royal Caribbean branding.

I don't see any reason at this time for Celebrity to get rid of the Evening Chic night. From my three cruises each six months apart the evenings worked fine. There was a nice mixture. Dress shirts, blazers, suits, and tux. Everyone can be satisfied and not feel uncomfortable. If they did go all Smart Casual it wouldn't bother me, that worked fine on cruises I did on Azamara and NCL, but I think the concession to old timers who want to wear a suit or tux is working right now so no need for change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Celebrity is not Carnival and I have not seen Celebrity dropping prices. My cruises with drink packages have had higher prices than the ones without packages. The packages certainly are not free. We are paying for them. If you think you are getting something for nothing you have fallen for their marketing con.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We will be on the Equinox - 4/24/17 in a CAT. 2C Stateroom #6251.

I first reserved this on 6/27/16 the cost was $3,733.00 with 3 perks.

We rebooked 2 more times the last being on 9/14/16 and the price I am paying dropped to $2,388.08 with 2 perks from Celebrity and 1 from my travel agent. Our new price of $2,388.08 less the Classic package cost of $1,298.00 and less the pre-paid tips cost of $270.00 brings the cruise only cost to $820.08 for a 10-night cruise. :)$410.08 per person!! Our normal bar bill used to be $150.00 a day on our past Cruises so for us this is a deal that Carnival can not touch. Our 10 night Greek Isle Cruise in August 2017 was just a little more but with GOBEST.

Edited by southernbreezes
not 200 a day

Your posts are irrelevant to this thread. The topic of discussion is specifically about Celebrity's evening chic.

True. Sorry. I was giving an example on how a cruiseline really let their standards fall. We'll see how the Jan.22 cruise stacks up. I'll give an honest review when we get back. I'm not looking for tuxes, just an overall decent style of dress like we saw in Jan.2015.

I took my first P&O Caribbean cruise in December last year, having cruised over 85 days with Celebrity over the last 3 years, and was astonished with the strict formal code on P&O. There were 4 formal evenings over the 14 days, 2 of which were black tie. Over 95% of the passengers followed the code with over 75% in DJ's/Tuxes, the formality applied to everywhere including bars from 6pm in the evening. Surprisingly the age demographic was much lower than Celebrity with many young couples dress to the nines.

I prefer the casual approach but believe that the majority of the P&O customers don't wish for any change in the forseeable future.

We will be on the Equinox - 4/24/17 in a CAT. 2C Stateroom #6251.

I first reserved this on 6/27/16 the cost was $3,733.00 with 3 perks.

We rebooked 2 more times the last being on 9/14/16 and the price I am paying dropped to $2,388.08 with 2 perks from Celebrity and 1 from my travel agent. Our new price of $2,388.08 less the Classic package cost of $1,298.00 and less the pre-paid tips cost of $270.00 brings the cruise only cost to $820.08 for a 10-night cruise. :)$410.08 per person!!

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Yes, you did get more perks at a lower price, but that was due to switching to a new promotion.

What you need to compare is what your latest promotion pricing would have been with and without the perks.

For example, on a cruise I am booked on later this year. You can book it today with two perks at one price and with four perks at a higher price. To be specific:

case a) with two perks (classic beverage package and tips) at one price

case b) adding internet and OBC worth a total of $432 for $540 more than booking with only two perks.

I would hardly call paying $540 more being "free" perks.

And I would never call paying $540 more for perks worth $432 a good deal for the customer.

Celebrity has convinced many people that the perks are free. They are definitely not.

Watch your attributions. I am not the one who posted that crap. I agree with you. It was southernbreezes who posted it. They don't know how to post correctly so that messed up your quoting.

Edited by Charles4515

True. Sorry. I was giving an example on how a cruiseline really let their standards fall. We'll see how the Jan.22 cruise stacks up. I'll give an honest review when we get back. I'm not looking for tuxes, just an overall decent style of dress like we saw in Jan.2015.

Small favor. When you return from your Cruise would you post what time you were instructed (written or verbally) to vacate your stateroom? Enjoy your Cruise. Bon Voyage.

Small favor. When you return from your Cruise would you post what time you were instructed (written or verbally) to vacate your stateroom? Enjoy your Cruise. Bon Voyage.

Reported by someone on Eclipse now it's 7am this Sunday.

Yes, you did get more perks at a lower price, but that was due to switching to a new promotion.

What you need to compare is what your latest promotion pricing would have been with and without the perks.

For example, on a cruise I am booked on later this year. You can book it today with two perks at one price and with four perks at a higher price. To be specific:

case a) with two perks (classic beverage package and tips) at one price

case b) adding internet and OBC worth a total of $432 for $540 more than booking with only two perks.

I would hardly call paying $540 more being "free" perks.

And I would never call paying $540 more for perks worth $432 a good deal for the customer.

Celebrity has convinced many people that the perks are free. They are definitely not.

First, my point was Celebrity is discounting and is lower priced than Carnival. Charles said they were not discounting and I showed my example. I only use Travel companies that offer Group Bookings. To get the prices I get you do not get to pick your perks they offer a package take it or leave it. Yes, I can tell them do not give me any perks but the price will not change. Free not Free this is only a deal if you were going to add on the Beverage package and other perks anyway. You and Charles more than likely pay much more than I do to take the same cruise, sorry. After 45 years and booking 100's of cruise's I think I understand how it works.

The real subject was doing away with Chic dining and the point I tried to make was with lower prices than Carnival that if Celebrity relaxed the dress code anymore they will soon become Carnival. Like my crap or not.:mad:

I am more concerned by the cutlery etiquette of my fellow passengers than whether they wear a tux or not. This system of using your fork as some sort of pitchfork and then switching hands after slicing your bite size piece is truly frightening. I can't believe X is allowing these type of people on?!?!?

[emoji41]

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

First, my point was Celebrity is discounting and is lower priced than Carnival. Charles said they were not discounting and I showed my example. I only use Travel companies that offer Group Bookings. To get the prices I get you do not get to pick your perks they offer a package take it or leave it. Yes, I can tell them do not give me any perks but the price will not change. Free not Free this is only a deal if you were going to add on the Beverage package and other perks anyway. You and Charles more than likely pay much more than I do to take the same cruise, sorry. After 45 years and booking 100's of cruise's I think I understand how it works.

The real subject was doing away with Chic dining and the point I tried to make was with lower prices than Carnival that if Celebrity relaxed the dress code anymore they will soon become Carnival. Like my crap or not.:mad:

There have always been various deals on Celebrity. You shouldn't assume we don't know how to get deals. The perks are not free. That is what Celebrity wants us to think. As far as price comparisons with Carnival it has always been the case that you could find sailings on Celebrity that cost less than cruises on Carnival. Prices go up and down based on supply and demand. Certain times of year are less expensive than others. When prices go down on Celebrity it seem to bring out the Florida geezer crowd not the Carnival tattoo crowd. It would take more than price and relaxed dress codes for Celebrity to become Carnival. For example hairy chest contests, belly flop contests, water slides, singing waiters, nonstop announcements, stuff like that.

As I said I don't think Celebrity should do away with Chic but I wouldn't worry about it if they did. On the non Chic evenings Celebrity passengers dress nicely. Not like slobs.

Is it just me, or does this sort of emphasis on "everyone must dress in fancy attire" remind anyone else of those nights where you don't feel like drinking but everyone who is drinking insists that you MUST participate or you'll ruin the fun for everyone?

Is it truly better to surround yourself with people who are wearing clothes they don't want to wear that evening? Does that really make them better dinnermates?

Sometimes I like to dress up, and sometimes I don't. If I were to be forced into a dress on a night I wasn't in the mood for it, I can guarantee you I wouldn't be making pleasant conversation.

I also find it fascinating that people seem to be uncomfortable with people "dressing down" when they're dressed up, but there isn't a similar issue with people who dress up in a situation that's more casual. What's the underlying motivation for this attitude? It can't just be about wanting everyone to be similar/participate, because then there would be dress code threads about how "those people in their gowns and suits need to stay out of the buffet".

Is it just me, or does this sort of emphasis on "everyone must dress in fancy attire" remind anyone else of those nights where you don't feel like drinking but everyone who is drinking insists that you MUST participate or you'll ruin the fun for everyone?

Is it truly better to surround yourself with people who are wearing clothes they don't want to wear that evening? Does that really make them better dinnermates?

Sometimes I like to dress up, and sometimes I don't. If I were to be forced into a dress on a night I wasn't in the mood for it, I can guarantee you I wouldn't be making pleasant conversation.

I also find it fascinating that people seem to be uncomfortable with people "dressing down" when they're dressed up, but there isn't a similar issue with people who dress up in a situation that's more casual. What's the underlying motivation for this attitude? It can't just be about wanting everyone to be similar/participate, because then there would be dress code threads about how "those people in their gowns and suits need to stay out of the buffet".

Me thinks you are reading too much into the topic. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Those who like to "dress up" do so because they like it and they are comfortable doing it. Same for those who like to "dress down." It's not rocket science.

Me thinks you are reading too much into the topic. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Those who like to "dress up" do so because they like it and they are comfortable doing it. Same for those who like to "dress down." It's not rocket science.
Exactly, we should all be able to dress the way we want (within the guidelines) and should not be put down by others who feel differently.

When I read these (never ending) "attire" threads, I can hear Gladys Kravitz yelling, "Abner, come quick, they are wearing white after Labor day". :D

If my vacation enjoyment depended on how others dressed, I'd simply stay home.

This falls under -- mind your own business. Honestly, I feel so badly for all the folks who are bothered by someone else's clothes to the degree you see here. You are on VACATION people -- stop creating unnecessary stress and drama.

Mike

That's exactly my point though - some people like one thing' date=' and some people like another, and the current rules allow for both to co-exist. I'm mostly confused by the apparent need for everyone to participate in order for some to feel comfortable.

[Funny aside though - I work in a field that is *almost* rocket science']