Dealing with Political Discussions On Board?

Smokeyham

Someone mentioned that they only recently realized that Americans consider it impolite to discuss politics. For us, it's not a matter of 'polite' or not - it's just that our lives have been so ceaselessly battered with political discussion & diatribe for so long, that we've reached a saturation point. Everyone insists on promoting their own personal viewpoint in great detail everywhere - you can't escape it online, on TV or radio, emails from 'friends', or just overhearing other people in restaurants or other public places. We've heard every possible variation on 'the truth", why or why not we should/shouldn't do this or that, or who's to blame for everything over and over. We just want peace & quiet on vacation.

On trips, if we get a whiff that someone will start talking politics, we pretend to be Canadian. Just be very polite and throw some Eh's into the dialogue. :)

Only works when the ones talking are not Canadian ;) Or, brush up on your national and provincial issues...

We were on a cruise (actually our first), out of Florida, during the time when they were doing the recount. 2000.

Someone came to our table and said Gore was going to concede... That was it. No one said anything one way or the other. Perhaps people were more polite then.:D

A couple of years ago I talked a friend into taking a 15 day cruise...her first one. We had anytime dining. The first night we were seated with 3 couples who immediately launched into very nasty comments about our president, the ACA,

Etc. my friend is on the opposite end of the political spectrum. She was absolutely horrified, but we kept our opinions to ourselves and made sure never to sit with those folks again. This summer we again cruised and would basically only talk politics with non u.s.a residents.

Only works when the ones talking are not Canadian ;) Or, brush up on your national and provincial issues...

True, and I'm kind of rusty now...my job many years ago had a very Canadian slant to it, so I spent a lot of time there.

But, we did impersonate Canadians on a trip to Southern France at a time of unpopular US policies. I did get questioned by a Brit about Windsor Canada (our "cover" home since it's just across the border from DTW and the accent isn't strong there). I could sense suspicion, but, I think we passed muster.

Heading out to SE Asia in a few days. I think I should watch a bit more of CBC (other than the winter sports) just to brush up. :D

True, and I'm kind of rusty now...my job many years ago had a very Canadian slant to it, so I spent a lot of time there.

But, we did impersonate Canadians on a trip to Southern France at a time of unpopular US policies. I did get questioned by a Brit about Windsor Canada (our "cover" home since it's just across the border from DTW and the accent isn't strong there). I could sense suspicion, but, I think we passed muster.

Heading out to SE Asia in a few days. I think I should watch a bit more of CBC (other than the winter sports) just to brush up. :D

I traveled to some places a few years ago where Americans are not universally popular. A colleague at work, who just happens to be Canadian, gave me a Canadian flag pin that I wore on my purse strap (at eye level). Not sure it mad e a whit's difference one way or the other, but my colleague felt better knowing I was using it. ;)

Brush up on hockey and you better know what a double double is or you're doomed. :D

I traveled to some places a few years ago where Americans are not universally popular. A colleague at work, who just happens to be Canadian, gave me a Canadian flag pin that I wore on my purse strap (at eye level). Not sure it mad e a whit's difference one way or the other, but my colleague felt better knowing I was using it. ;)

No wonder every time I travel it seems like half the country is traveling too, Eh!:)

If you guys and gals really want to impersonate a Canuck when you travel, would you mind impersonating this Canuck when Revenue Canada comes calling? (That's our version of the IRS.) ;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

I have relatives who lived in Paris for several years in the mid 70's where American tourists were not to popular at that time so the odd one would wear a Canadian flag t-shirt, sometimes a maple leaf on their backpack or like you say a pin. :)

Sometimes the cousins would talk to these people at the touristy spots where the posers would always give themselves away when they knew nothing about our country. :eek:

Can't say I blame them... I have to hide the maple leafs when in Florida. :)

Brush up on hockey and you better know what a double double is or you're doomed. :D

LOL...I guess knowing Eric Guay crashed last week won't count. :) I time my fitness center workouts to watch CBC's better coverage on their "Road to the Olympics" of winter sports. Go figure..I'm from hockey town and don't follow hockey (particularly now given how the Wings are doing), but I love to watch CBC winter sports coverage...and I can't ski worth the life of me.

LOL...when Canada was my calling area, I used to wear a necklace with a small gold Maple leaf charm that DH bought me as a gift, because I lived, ate and breathed Canada at that time. I remember one of my contacts telling me it wasn't something a Canadian would wear. :)

LOL...when Canada was my calling area, I used to wear a necklace with a small gold Maple leaf charm that DH bought me as a gift, because I lived, ate and breathed Canada at that time. I remember one of my contacts telling me it wasn't something a Canadian would wear. :)

[emoji23] Scots do something similar when abroad.. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Some of these comments remind me of our own. We purposely waited for twelve years to have children.

When some incredibly rude person or nosey relative would ask why I always responded with one of two answers depending on my mood and on who asked the question. My response was either my spouse was frigid or I was impotent.

That usually put an end to the subject and got the MYOB message across.

Some of these comments remind me of our own. We purposely waited for twelve years to have children.

When some incredibly rude person or nosey relative would ask why I always responded with one of two answers depending on my mood and on who asked the question. My response was either my spouse was frigid or I was impotent.

That usually put an end to the subject and got the MYOB message across.

HA! slightly off topic, but my guy and I have been together for over twenty years and aren't married. a few years back a particularly nosy person asked very rudely why we weren't married. my guy responded quite quickly that he hadn't knocked me up yet! put an end to that line of questioning very quickly. :D

HA! slightly off topic, but my guy and I have been together for over twenty years and aren't married. a few years back a particularly nosy person asked very rudely why we weren't married. my guy responded quite quickly that he hadn't knocked me up yet! put an end to that line of questioning very quickly. :D

Your guy is a great fast thinker. I always think of the good smarmy responses 5 minutes too late.

DON

That would not have worked in my experiences. The people who most often seem to want to pick political discussions with me are Canadians.

That would not have worked in my experiences. The people who most often seem to want to pick political discussions with me are Canadians.

Did you see their passports? They could have been impersonators who just Googled curling, poutine, double double, 2 4's, and beaver tails before the cruise.:D

Edited by DirtyDawg

We don't discuss politics on board, but received a lot of unwanted advice and opinions from Canadians on how they felt about the election on a cruise last April. It was a long cruise. We just sat there and didn't engage, but were constantly asked to defend some political candidates. I often wonder why people feel they can insult the USA when we never once made any comments about Canada.

The funniest experience was four years ago on a TA out of Houston where we were seated with a table of Texans. They had the BEST stories and were a hoot. They were suspicious about us and speculated a while until we did the big "reveal."

It was a very sad day onboard when Romney lost. You could feel the gloom all over the ship.

We usually cruise on Cunard, where Americans make up a plurality but not a majority of passengers. At Christmas our tablemates were two Germans, a Scot, a Canadian and one other American. The election came up once or twice in the second half of the cruise but generally politics weren't discussed.

LOL...I guess knowing Eric Guay crashed last week won't count. :) I time my fitness center workouts to watch CBC's better coverage on their "Road to the Olympics" of winter sports. Go figure..I'm from hockey town and don't follow hockey (particularly now given how the Wings are doing), but I love to watch CBC winter sports coverage...and I can't ski worth the life of me.

Helps if you know that if someone mentions the "Canadian Cowboys" they are NOT talking about cattle ranchers in Alberta...

Helps if you know that Jon Montgomery (the host of the Canadian Amazing Race) is not just a pretty face, but his is an Olympic Gold Medal winner in Skeleton.

And, outside of Leonard Cohen singing the song, K.D. lang's version of "Hallelujah" at the Vancouver Olympic Winter Games is the best rendition to date.

(I am from the US, but I've helped some Canadian sports teams - one of the them bestowed "honorary Canadian" on me :D )