When the price drops on your Celebrity Cruise...

missistanbul

Do you call up Celebrity and ask them to draw up a new invoice or is that considered the height of cheekiness?

We're talking about a substantial saving of many hundreds of dollars....

Call at once Celebrity or your TA if booked thru them.

So its acceptable then? I booked directly with Celebrity. I've done it once already but the price has dropped another 500 USD! However, the first time I did it the lad I was chatting to never got back to me and then when I tried again the lassie I was talking to was really unhelpful and unfriendly. I wondered if it was because I was being cheeky!

So its acceptable then? I booked directly with Celebrity. I've done it once already but the price has dropped another 500 USD! However, the first time I did it the lad I was chatting to never got back to me and then when I tried again the lassie I was talking to was really unhelpful and unfriendly. I wondered if it was because I was being cheeky!

Did you book with Celebrity US or somewhere in Europe? My understanding is that UK bookings, for example, have very limited scope to get price drops....

I would say call and find out your options. You've been able to do it once before so you may be able to do it again. I don't know what the rules are in your situation.

Even if you are after final payment, there is the possibility that you could upgrade for little additional money. As I said, call and find out. In the US it is done all the time.

Good luck -

Mike

If I found an online TA - would they be able to do it for me?

I know that you aren't allowed to advertise TAs on CC but is there somewhere on the web I could go to research this? Without having to do a Google search for cruise line TAs and pick a random one?

Thanks for all your support and advice guys - I really appreciate it!

I know that you aren't allowed to advertise TAs on CC but is there somewhere on the web I could go to research this? Without having to do a Google search for cruise line TAs and pick a random one?

Again, it depends on your booking terms. If in the US, you can transfer a reservation to a TA within 60 days of booking. I don't think a TA could do anything for you that you couldn't do for yourself in regards to your initial question. They simply act as the go-between between you and Celebrity and don't really have any explicit special authority.

Definitely give them a call and if you don't get any joy the first time, try again ;).

International - I booked through Turkey!

Seems a bit unfair that the US get price drops but nowhere else does - is it a tax thing?

I'm from Canada...usually my TA contacts us to let us know there has been a price drop....then does up a new invoice.

It's not cheeky at all. US customers do it and get drops all the time before final payment. However, European bookings have their own set of rules so it may or may not work. I've heard it has something to do with customer protections that come with those bookings that US customers don't have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would be foolish not to call and request the price reduction. Call immediately, before the price can be raised again. If the representative is not helpful, demand to speak with a supervisor or someone in the resolutions department.

Seems a bit unfair that the US get price drops but nowhere else does - is it a tax thing?

Don't know why, it is :(

No, it's a 'what we can get away with' thing :D.

Ignoring the opinions of the conspiracy theorists ;), the reality is that it typically has to do with different consumer protection laws in the different countries. The UK has stronger restrictions than the US, so there is often less that can be modified for UK consumers due to those restrictions. In some cases you win, and in some cases you lose because of those restrictions.

Edited by sloopsailor

....I don't think a TA could do anything for you that you couldn't do for yourself in regards to your initial question. They simply act as the go-between between you and Celebrity and don't really have any explicit special authority.

A good TA that does a lot of business with the cruise lines will often have more clout than a customer contacting the cruise line directly. For example, we had booked our cruise a year and a half in advance. Friends of ours decided to join us and booked only five months before sailing. They received free alcohol beverage packages that we did not qualify for because it wasn't offered when we booked. Our TA asked to have an exception made in our case to match our friends. It was originally refused. She was able to talk her contact into asking her management for the exception. It was eventually granted as a "customer retention" action.

I doubt that we could have ever convinced the cruise line to do that. So, yes, there are things that a TA can do for you that you probably couldn't do by yourself.

Wee update

I called Celebrity tonight and managed to get the new price being advertised on the website. The customer service representative was lovely and very helpful. I saved $958 and he encouraged me to call him any time I saw the price drop until it was time to make my final payment. Kept my perks as well.

Very happy with the service.