Stop the Selling Madness

I have always found that a "no thank you" or "I've done all my bookings" will suffice and then just keep walking. It amazes me how much the "sales" get people bent out of shape. Just say no thank you and keep walking. If done during dinner, I always just tell them I will come by later and see about booking. They usually go away.

I guess my tolerance for being "accosted" by people is higher than that of others. I don't find that it is any worse than it has ever been- especially on the first day.

Just off vision and they were canvassing for chops around the pool area.It was no hassle and because they offered me a good deal I booked for day 4 with a 20% discount and free drinks.On day 5 they were around the pool area and I said I had been to chops and when he checked our cabin number he gave me 30% discount and free drinks so we booked again for last night.We were on MTD and I had prepaid my tips several months ago but left additional good tips as we received excellent service.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Being approached as we entered the Windjammer didn't bother us because we weren't a captive audience. As others have said, a polite "no thank you" worked just fine. However, we did resent the head waiter/maître d' doing a hard sell while we sat at our dinner table. That's just rude and inappropriate. And yes, we stated it in our follow-up review with RCL

This occurred on Serenade, Feb 3-13

Edited by onthewater51
Additional info

We were just on the Independence, and experienced none of the Specialty Restaurant pressure as we left the Windjammer. Perhaps it was because there were only two Specialty Restaurants on that ship, and they had sufficient bookings. We did experience the push for Specialty Dining on the Anthem last year.

I find the Foot Analysis sales pitch to sell shoe fillers much more annoying than trying to upsell me to a restaurant. I don't mind hearing about their specials, and most of the time they are polite when I say either I'll think about it or no thanks.

Signs everywhere, accosted as you enter the windjammer, and interrupting dinner to sell specialty dining. NOT OK, Royal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Couldn't agree more! Especially in the spa which is supposed to be a retreat. After my massage the therapist put some "complimentary" eye creams on me after basically telling me my eyes looked like crap. 3 different creams. Then she rubbed coconut oil on my arms and said I need it for sunbathing and it's only $53. She was relentless. She wanted me to buy all the creams. When I said I liked my products at home she said I'll eventually need botox if I don't take care of my skin and that the cream she was selling was cheaper than botox so I should buy it. Not relaxing at all! I'll never use the spa on a cruise again.

No thank you works fine for me aboard the ships. Works pretty well for me on the streets of Jamaica, too.:)

No thank you works great but they shouldn't be coming table to table in the MDR trying to sell wine packages and specialty dining packages. They also shouldn't come over the loudspeaker in the dining room either.

No thank you works great but they shouldn't be coming table to table in the MDR trying to sell wine packages and specialty dining packages. They also shouldn't come over the loudspeaker in the dining room either.

I agree. I was more just joking. I can see the selling outside of the Windjammer and on the Royal Promenade. Interrupting me when I am eating is completely unacceptable. I never much cared for the damn pirate either coming up behind me and putting a dagger across my neck while I'm eating for some photographer to take a picture that I don't want.

I agree. I was more just joking. I can see the selling outside of the Windjammer and on the Royal Promenade. Interrupting me when I am eating is completely unacceptable. I never much cared for the damn pirate either coming up behind me and putting a dagger across my neck while I'm eating for some photographer to take a picture that I don't want.

Photographer came around too but quickly moved on. Hopefully, tonight in solarium bistro is better. :)

Couldn't agree more! Especially in the spa which is supposed to be a retreat. After my massage the therapist put some "complimentary" eye creams on me after basically telling me my eyes looked like crap. 3 different creams. Then she rubbed coconut oil on my arms and said I need it for sunbathing and it's only $53. She was relentless. She wanted me to buy all the creams. When I said I liked my products at home she said I'll eventually need botox if I don't take care of my skin and that the cream she was selling was cheaper than botox so I should buy it. Not relaxing at all! I'll never use the spa on a cruise again.

This, 100%. I have a high level of tolerance for upselling, having spent a fair amount of my career in retail sales, but being told I look like hot garbage after a relaxing (and expensive) massage in order to sell product is not ok.

Which ship are you on? I sail Freedom this coming Saturday.

I am on Anthem. Giving it a second try after our first that met up with the end of hurricane Matthew. :eek:

This is a beautiful ship but I still think the flow stinks and it always feels crowded. Tons of kids this week too. More states are off this week than I realized.

Still having a good time though. :)

That's why I always write "no sales pitch" on the form when I check in at the spa. I get a relaxing massage and no pressure. I always leave a good tip afterwards in addition to the regular tip they automatically add.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums