DO NOT waste your money on cruisecare insurance from Royal Caribbean!

auntiedodo

I thought Royal had a cancel for any reason plan?

Sort of. If the cancellation is not for a covered reason, Royal's insurance will give 75% of the cruise cost as a credit to be used on a future cruise within a year.

The insurance makes up the difference after the cruiseline reimburses their portion. I went through this last year when my mother got sick. We had to submit paperwork that the doctor filled out and I can tell you I was glad we took the insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have a b2b cruise in a suite booked for March and always buy cruisecare insurance. My husband had a sudden detached macula and retina, emergency surgery, and we can't go on our cruise that we booked a year ago, and bought cruisecare insurance a year ago too. I cancelled as soon as he was admitted to the hospital, the same day we found out . NOW we are being told that we are in "the PENALTY" phase and will only get back a few dollars IF the insurance claim is accepted. DO NOT waste your money on cruisecare insurance through Royal Caribbean!!!

What happened to cancel for any reason and get 75% credit toward a future cruise.

We always buy third party travel insurance for the higher limits for medical and evacuation claims. We had to use our insurance once and we did not have enough coverage for the medical. We had $10K and the charge on the ship was $5K alone and then had the week stay in the hospital in the DR. Also remember that Medicare and some other medical insurance plans do not cover you outside of the US. Hope everything turns out well for you and the insurance will reimburse you.

We always buy third party travel insurance for the higher limits for medical and evacuation claims. We had to use our insurance once and we did not have enough coverage for the medical. We had $10K and the charge on the ship was $5K alone and then had the week stay in the hospital in the DR. Also remember that Medicare and some other medical insurance plans do not cover you outside of the US. Hope everything turns out well for you and the insurance will reimburse you.

Yeah...it only takes one "event" to teach folks that getting good travel insurance is prudent.

My wife had an injury on an excursion once...and the 3rd party insurance addressed all the costs.

If you book your cruise with a Chase Sapphire Card, it includes insurance at no extra charge. Here is a summary of the benefit. There are more details at their website.

TRIP CANCELLATION/TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE

If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather or other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.

Many other bankcards have this same insurance attached. Ours do. So we never purchase Royals.

We usually get third party insurance as RCs limits on Medical and Evac are too low. Are moving later this year to an annual plan.

I learned the hard way once to double check insurance dates. I fell the night before a policy went into effect and was out of pocket 3000. Always double check to make sure you are covered door to door. The 3K was my deductible and 20% copay. The kicker was that it would have paid if the date was extended and for NO additional premium.

We have had to collect 3 times in 11 years. Only once was due to something involving us. The other two were sudden serious illness by family members. All three were after final payment.

We had boarded Liberty of the Seas last fall-We had RCC insurance, A family member died in a car accident and we had to leave and come home. I dealt with the insurance company and the check came from them not RCC. We received a full refund (minus the insurance costs) and RCC credited my original card for things like excursions and flowers I had bought. No problems at all-glad I had it

lesson learned!

Just got back from the AMEX site...read all exclusions and now find that sudden illness nor family emergency is not covered...only injury whilst aboard or excursion.

Now have to rethink getting RCCLs or similar.

I remember being told by an AMEX agent we were covered....goes to show, never take anything for granted.

Thx to OP for bringing this up.

lesson learned!

Just got back from the AMEX site...read all exclusions and now find that sudden illness nor family emergency is not covered...only injury whilst aboard or excursion.

Now have to rethink getting RCCLs or similar.

I remember being told by an AMEX agent we were covered....goes to show, never take anything for granted.

Thx to OP for bringing this up.

I think there are definitely benefits and risks to relying on insurance provided through your credit card. Most people like insuremytrip or insurancestore for online options to compare different policies. Some people only want medical evacuation and are not worried about lost cruise fare, others want more coverage, especially if they have Medicare that does not cover them outside the US.

As for coverage dates, we always make sure our coverage starts when we walk out of the house, and doesn't end until we're back home again. If we're flying in the night before, then I start it for that travel date. No one wants to get hurt or sick on travel day and discover you are not covered until you get on the ship. If you change your travel dates, due to a change in flights or weather, you can always contact the insurance company and have them update your dates for the policy coverage.

Was this RCC policy under Berkley or the new policy underwriter Arch Insurance Company?

Mine when applied was Berkley. Since RCCL insurance provider excluded air costs unless booked thru Choice Air, I've used other 3rd party providers. My travel cc also, covers cancellations & other.

I just canceled and finally went through all the hoops just last month. I canceled at 16 days out due to "job loss", which is not a covered event. So I canceled "under any reason."

Royal refunded me all the fees and taxes and 25% of cruise fare on my CC. If had been at 14 days they would have given me nothing and everything would have fallen onto the insurance, which I believe is Aon.

So Royal gives you cash back for whatever it says on the reservation form and then you have to file with the insurance company to see what they will give you.

So the insurance company says "job loss" is not covered for a cash reimbursement, but is covered under the 75% future cruise credit, which comes from Royal. So insurance sends Royal a letter telling them it's not paying cash back and they need to give me a future cruise credit.

Months go by and no letter from anybody. I call a couple of times and am told, "letter's in the mail." Finally, I call customer service at Royal and they read me off the four certificate numbers for my future cruise credit, which I then give to my TA to apply to upcoming Oasis.

That being said, eight years ago we had a death in the family just days before we were to sail. All it took was a copy of the death certificate and we had a check back for everything we had spent. I am guessing the surgery will be covered and you just have to jump through the hoops between Royal and insurance company.

Keep in mind they are two separate entities that don't communicate well.

• 2 years later...

Once you buy RCCL insurance can you change your mind and get your money back, if so what number do you call? This would be before final payment and cruise is still booked over 12 months away?

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Once you buy RCCL insurance can you change your mind and get your money back, if so what number do you call? This would be before final payment and cruise is still booked over 12 months away?

2 yr old thread????

Yes you can change your mind. You are not even charged for it until final payment

Edited by cruisinfanatic

On 2/28/2017 at 4:13 PM, auntiedodo said:

So you're saying Royal will give us some money back on our credit card and the insurance may cover the rest? That would be fine, but it sure doesn't sound like what we were told.

that is how travel insurance works. you file a claim with the insurance company ASAP.  As part of the process you will need to show them the documentation on the amount of the refund from the cruise line, as well as documentation for all monies paid. the documentation will usually also need to include a form to be completed by the physician. After receiving all required documents the insurance company will pay the original amount paid minus the cruise line refund and cost of insurance if the reason was for a covered medical condition.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Depends if you paid for your cruise care or only booked it.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Contact whoever booked your cruise.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

If you have another cruise booked, you may be able to transfer the coverage. We've transferred a policy to another cruise but it was 3rd party insurance. They just repriced the premium to account for the difference in the cost of the cruise. I'm not sure Cruise Care will do that but it's worth a try.

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

FYI - All insurance companies look for ways not to pay you.  That is in the hidden policy book.  The consumer always needs to fight.

Not true.

When my mother had an aneurysm pop on Grandeur in Canada, the insurance company (booked through Royal) was VERY helpful.  And paid with out any issues.

Most every tale I have heard of issues with an insurance company is when the person did not supply what the insurance company asked for.  

They are a business, so no, they don't want to pay any claims they are not obligated to pay.  But also, they are happy to pay claims that need to be paid, as it is good advertising.