Are the Hell (HAL) Cats completely gone from HAL ships now?

sail7seas

Take along a few pairs of those little spongy earplugs.

It'll cut the volume, but you'll still be able to fully enjoy the BB King band.

Simplest solution in the world. :)

You convinced me. I will be skipping BB Kings. The Lincoln Center sounds a better fit for me.

I am worried too about the BB King being too loud. That would be a shame if they are good otherwise and there was no way I could enjoy it at that volume.

Is there any seating near the venue where you could still hear it?

Part of the loudness issue is the fact that this is a large group of musicians and singers and they are crammed into a fairly small venue. Horns even without amplification are going to be loud by themselves in that venue and when combined with everything else is will be loud...but good! Not sure why they don't perform in the main showroom on select nights.

Part of the loudness issue is the fact that this is a large group of musicians and singers and they are crammed into a fairly small venue. Horns even without amplification are going to be loud by themselves in that venue and when combined with everything else is will be loud...but good! Not sure why they don't perform in the main showroom on select nights.

I bet they would sound good in the main showroom. I hope HAL considers that on my Oosterdam cruise in June.

I bet they would sound good in the main showroom. I hope HAL considers that on my Oosterdam cruise in June.

I'm sure that, if you phone the CEO and tell him you want them in the main showroom for your cruise, he will accommodate this. ;-)

If the loudness is an issue to too many guests and they make this known in a large-enough survey sample, it could change. But, if they don't have the quantity of negative responses, they will believe all is good and it will stay as-is.

I'm sure that, if you phone the CEO and tell him you want them in the main showroom for your cruise, he will accommodate this. ;-)

If the loudness is an issue to too many guests and they make this known in a large-enough survey sample, it could change. But, if they don't have the quantity of negative responses, they will believe all is good and it will stay as-is.

We did have a BB King show in the main lounge, on Oosterdam 2016. Didn't have one on Zuiderdam, either last fall or this past winter.

We saw Chris, too, on Zui. He was very good! The Guitar Players on Vista Class are gone. We have not seen any on Signature Class in quite some time. Last April Zaandam still had one in The Mix. The only music I've seen in Crow's Nest in the last couple of years has been a Piano Player on Prinsendam.

Along with the Prinsendam, the Rotterdam has the BB Kings in the Crow's Nest. Our group was very good and I did not find them too loud (for once). A smaller group than what you see on the Vista's but very good and one of the best voices I have heard from a BB Kings group.

Just hope there are enough comments about the loudness before June 11th. ;-)

I agree. The All Stars that played in the BB King on the N. Amsterdam during our Panama Cruise in Sept. were one of the best bands we've ever experience on any of our cruises, on any cruise line we've been on. Fantastic entertainment.

Completely agree. We saw them on Eurodam June 2016 and thought they were sensational. Whoever decided to add them to a few of HAL's ships was inspired. They are loud, but as has been pointed out elsewhere they are crammed into a small venue. We knew they wouldn't be on our recent cruise (Zaandam) and we really missed them.

Lily

Just hope there are enough comments about the loudness before June 11th. ;-)

Write e to Bill Prince. I think he might still b e in charge of enterainmant/ talent on the ships

Along with the Prinsendam, the Rotterdam has the BB Kings in the Crow's Nest.

This is the first time I recall reading that the BB King group is playing in the Crow's Nest on the Prinsendam. Are you positive about that?

There are so few places to go after the show on that ship, I will hate it if the Crow's Nest has been taken over by a group that is too loud; that doesn't leave much to do.

The piano player in there, although it isn't as much fun as a piano bar, was fun.

Take along a few pairs of those little spongy earplugs.

It'll cut the volume, but you'll still be able to fully enjoy the BB King band.

Simplest solution in the world. :)

There's a brand called Hearos that has a high fidelity range of earplugs. There are reusable and do not knock out any frequencies.

Hearos Earplugs High Fidelity Series with Free Case, 1 Pair

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V9PKZA/

This is the first time I recall reading that the BB King group is playing in the Crow's Nest on the Prinsendam. Are you positive about that?

There are so few places to go after the show on that ship, I will hate it if the Crow's Nest has been taken over by a group that is too loud; that doesn't leave much to do.

The piano player in there, although it isn't as much fun as a piano bar, was fun.

Ruth - I thought you stopped cruising HAL now because of the smoking ban on balconies.

My thinking is that Prisendam is a small, old ship that probably is not going to get any refurbishment/refittings and will just sail as-is until it dies. maybe HAL wanted to do an experiment to give Prisendam guests a taste of the updated entertainment on the other HAL ships. If it works, maybe it will stay. If people write and complain, maybe it won't stay.

Question: how does one hear the band if wearing noise-CANCELLING headphones??? I use them all the time because I want to eliminate all outside noise and just hear what is playing through my iPod. I literally hear nothing but my private music. Perhaps these are not noise-cancelling, but those headphones you see athlete parents putting on their little kids when you see them on TV at the Super Bowl...Kind of like what airline ground crew wear - dampens the noise, but you can still hear...

Ruth - I thought you stopped cruising HAL now because of the smoking ban on balconies.

My thinking is that Prisendam is a small, old ship that probably is not going to get any refurbishment/refittings and will just sail as-is until it dies. maybe HAL wanted to do an experiment to give Prisendam guests a taste of the updated entertainment on the other HAL ships. If it works, maybe it will stay. If people write and complain, maybe it won't stay.

Question: how does one hear the band if wearing noise-CANCELLING headphones??? I use them all the time because I want to eliminate all outside noise and just hear what is playing through my iPod. I literally hear nothing but my private music. Perhaps these are not noise-cancelling, but those headphones you see athlete parents putting on their little kids when you see them on TV at the Super Bowl...Kind of like what airline ground crew wear - dampens the noise, but you can still hear...

I'm pretty sure that you are confusing RuthC with someone else. Perhaps IRL_Joanie?

The noise SUPPRESSION ear buds are different from what you have in mind. They're common among the people who work the board at concerts.

I can't imagine where you got that notion.

I'm quite familiar with the Prinsendam. Yes, she is small, but still quite lovely, and beautifully done.

Since I am sailing the Prinsendam again soon, I was asking for confirmation of what Jacqui posted; not speculation about HAL's thinking.

I can't imagine where you got that notion.

I'm quite familiar with the Prinsendam. Yes, she is small, but still quite lovely, and beautifully done.

Since I am sailing the Prinsendam again soon, I was asking for confirmation of what Jacqui posted; not speculation about HAL's thinking.

Then I apologize for mixing you up with another.

Since I respect you and your postings, I'll defer to what you wanted and again apologize for trying to add...

Sorry if I worded that incorrectly RuthC. I meant that along with the piano player in the Crow's Nest on the Prinsendam, there is entertainment on the Rotterdam in the Crow's Nest - BB Kings.

Never seen BB Kings there before and we liked it.

Sorry if I worded that incorrectly RuthC. I meant that along with the piano player in the Crow's Nest on the Prinsendam, there is entertainment on the Rotterdam in the Crow's Nest - BB Kings.

Never seen BB Kings there before and we liked it.

Then you didn't word it incorrectly, kazu. I just didn't know BB King was playing on the Prinsendam. That sure changes my evening plans, at least if they are as loud as they were on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I may have to go to bed early! :eek:

Then you didn't word it incorrectly, kazu. I just didn't know BB King was playing on thVe Prinsendam. That sure changes my evening plans, at least if they are as loud as they were on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I may have to go to bed early! :eek:

I would be very surprised if they appear on the Prinsendam. They do not appear on the Maasdam or the Veendam.

On the ships we have been on the last few years, the HAL cats were gone.

But we did have a bad -- really loud group on one of our Westerdam repositioning cruises -- made it impossible for all of us to hear the cellar master at his special dinner in the Pinnacle.

We can not stand the loud BB King group either. On several ships we have walked by the Queen's Lounge and their loud music and screaming singers hurt my ears in the hallway.

The BB King group on the Koningsdam were very loud. The Queens lounge was very open and on two levels.

I hope HAL re thinks this on the Nieuw Statendam.

The BB King group on the Koningsdam were very loud. The Queens lounge was very open and on two levels.

I hope HAL re thinks this on the Nieuw Statendam.

Totally agree - that open area venue on the K was painful to walk by/through after dinner (and I loved the BB King group when I first saw them on the Noordam several years ago.) They are a great addition, but only in the right location.

Guess this HAL cruiser has a different take from many. Regarding the HAL Cats we say "good riddance." I love all kinds of music from Chamber, to Opera, to Big Band to Blues, Rock, etc. My only "want" is that the music be performed well with the appropriate instruments (and voices). So when I would hear the HAL Cats (with 2 guitars, 2 keyboards, and a drummer) trying to play Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" I just rolled my eyes and walked! And if Glenn Miller was looking down from above...he would have also cringed. Several years ago HAL made a cost saving decision to eliminate brass and most woodwinds from their bands and use a Keyboard to mimic all those instruments. The actual effect is akin to the type music they used to play in a Roller Skating Rink.

So now, we have the BB King group. The groups we have heard have been quite talented with a good assortment of musicians and voices. They can perform rock, disco, blues, smooth jazz, etc. Is it too loud for some? Sure. But that is the nature of that type of music. Go to a Rock or Blues Club...and you might want to bring your earplugs (or cotton). You cannot play that type of music in a smaller venue at a low volume. We think the BB King concept is a huge turn about for HAL....where they are trying to hire real band musicians that will be acceptable to many younger cruisers and quite a few of we seniors. For those that don;t want that kind of loud music, they do have other options.

Hank

Guess this HAL cruiser has a different take from many. Regarding the HAL Cats we say "good riddance." I love all kinds of music from Chamber, to Opera, to Big Band to Blues, Rock, etc. My only "want" is that the music be performed well with the appropriate instruments (and voices). So when I would hear the HAL Cats (with 2 guitars, 2 keyboards, and a drummer) trying to play Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" I just rolled my eyes and walked! And if Glenn Miller was looking down from above...he would have also cringed. Several years ago HAL made a cost saving decision to eliminate brass and most woodwinds from their bands and use a Keyboard to mimic all those instruments. The actual effect is akin to the type music they used to play in a Roller Skating Rink.

So now, we have the BB King group. The groups we have heard have been quite talented with a good assortment of musicians and voices. They can perform rock, disco, blues, smooth jazz, etc. Is it too loud for some? Sure. But that is the nature of that type of music. Go to a Rock or Blues Club...and you might want to bring your earplugs (or cotton). You cannot play that type of music in a smaller venue at a low volume. We think the BB King concept is a huge turn about for HAL....where they are trying to hire real band musicians that will be acceptable to many younger cruisers and quite a few of we seniors. For those that don;t want that kind of loud music, they do have other options.

Hank

Sometimes, loudness for some is more related to the type of music they like and not the actual noise level. If they do not like the music genre, then it is too loud. We have been to philharmonic concerts and more popular music oriented André Rieu concerts and can guarantee that no one at these concerts complained about the noise level that was much higher than any BB King show on board a ship. ;)

Sometimes, loudness for some is more related to the type of music they like and not the actual noise level. If they do not like the music genre, then it is too loud. We have been to philharmonic concerts and more popular music oriented André Rieu concerts and can guarantee that no one at these concerts complained about the noise level that was much higher than any BB King show on board a ship. ;)

Well, I know that is not true on my case. I remember some years ago on Celebrity the featured star was a woman who had appeared in Evita. She had a beautiful voice and I looked forward to hearing her sing. The volume was so high I had to leave the theater. It was OK out in the hall, but no place to sit out there, of course.

As Hank said, there are other things to enjoy. I am genuinely happy for others who have enjoyed BB Kings. I enjoy seeing people have a good time, even when I can't join in.