Carnival Planning Their Own Half Moon Cay

ger_77

I know there's never been a time when a Carnival and Holland America ship share Half Moon Cay at the same time, but it looks like HAL passengers may have Half Moon Cay all to themselves. This from John Heald's (Carnival Ambassador) blog:

For those who love the private island experience that places like Half Moon Cay bring you, this is brilliant news

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE TO DEVELOP NEW BAHAMIAN CRUISE DESTINATION ON GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND

Agreement between Carnival Cruise Line and the Bahamian government will bring largest-ever cruise port development project to Grand Bahama Island

MIAMI (May 2, 2017) — Officials from Carnival Cruise Line and the Bahamian government signed an agreement today during a special signing ceremony in Freeport, Grand Bahama, for the construction of a new cruise port facility to be funded and operated by Carnival Cruise Line on Grand Bahama Island. The as-yet-unnamed planned port will be the largest purpose-built cruise facility ever constructed in The Bahamas and will take inspiration from the beauty of the Bahamian people and their islands. Features will include a one-mile stretch of beach, food, beverage and shopping outlets, a wide array of water-based amenities and other recreational facilities. The port will also feature a pier capable of accommodating two of Carnival’s largest cruise ships simultaneously and is expected to eventually host up to 1 million guests annually.

The multimillion-dollar project will provide a significant economic benefit for the country of The Bahamas, including many employment and economic opportunities throughout the development, construction and ongoing operation once completed.

“Carnival Cruise Line is the leader in year-round cruising to The Bahamas and this new development will not only provide a truly extraordinary and one-of-a-kind destination experience for our guests but it will further solidify our partnership with the people of The Bahamas,” said Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line. “In 2017, along with Carnival’s sister lines, Carnival Corporation will bring close to 3 million guests to The Bahamas via calls to Nassau, Freeport, Grand Bahama, Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays, the latter two of which were developed and are operated by Carnival Corporation brands Holland America Line and Princess Cruises. Collectively, we represent the single largest cruise company investor in The Bahamas,” Duffy added.

During the signing ceremony, Carnival Corporation President and CEO Arnold Donald said, “When Ted Arison, the founder of Carnival and the modern day cruise industry, embarked on his first cruise, it was to The Bahamas. From that day until now, The Bahamas continues to be one of the most strategic and important destinations for our company.” Donald continued, “Signing this agreement today is especially meaningful to me, as we strive to further contribute to the prosperity of the people of The Bahamas through providing experiences that continue to exceed our guests’ expectations.

Prime Minister the Right Honourable Perry G. Christie stated, “The Government of The Bahamas has had a long and close association with Carnival which has been of great economic benefit to both parties.” He continued, “This new cruise port initiative in East Grand Bahama will deliver a cruise port in the traditional sense, but more than that, its shore project will create a new ‘destination’ with a distinctive flavour and characteristics that offer the broadest Bahamian entrepreneurial and employment opportunities, representing another phase in the development of Grand Bahama as a viable tourist centre.”

The project is subject to a detailed public discussion process, environmental studies and permitting.

Interesting!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I am not surprised that Carnival is doing this.

I have read mixed reports where some people sailing on Carnival ships like Half Moon Cay for the quiet experience while others want more shopping.

I just wonder if Carnival will keep HMC in good condition??

Nothing on here (unless I missed it) actually says this is a private destination. I got the impression it's going to be yet another stop ships can make within The Bahamas. Like when they built Falmouth in Jamaica a few years back.

Will it be their private island? The article is not quite clear on that aspect.
It says Grand Bahama Island. That is about 80 miles long with a population over 50,000. Like InTheWASide said, it's probably going to be like the areas at Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya, Falmouth, etc. but bigger. Edited by catl331

I think this will be more akin to Amber Cove, Harvest Caye, Grand Turk, Mahogany Bay, Falmouth, etc - it will most likely only be used by Carnival Corp ships but all food and beverage will be pay for use and operated by "local" vendors. This appears to be the way forward for "private destinations".

The concept really makes sense: there is no point in ruining HMC's tranquility by jazzing it up with shopping and bars/restaurants, etc. - which a lot of Carnival's (the line, not the corp.) passengers want. This way, both expectations can be satisfied - with the logical decision that every line does not need to try to be all things to all people.

The concept really makes sense: there is no point in ruining HMC's tranquility by jazzing it up with shopping and bars/restaurants, etc. - which a lot of Carnival's (the line, not the corp.) passengers want. This way, both expectations can be satisfied - with the logical decision that every line does not need to try to be all things to all people.

That was my thinking - so many of us love the peace and quiet of HMC, that to include stores, other recreation areas, etc., would really destroy the ambiance of that stop.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

It says Grand Bahama Island. That is about 80 miles long with a population over 50,000. Like InTheWASide said, it's probably going to be like the areas at Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya, Falmouth, etc. but bigger.

Sounds like a great idea. We've been to all three and really enjoyed them.

I agree. And it should also be good for HAL cruisers and HMC itself. So IMO it's a win-win.

Smooth sailing :ship::ship::ship:

How does a Carnival ship calling on HMC affect HAL cruisers (and HMC itself) since there is never a case where both a Carnival ship and HAL ship are there at the same time?

Okay, does this development portend a decision by HAL to have 'year-round' use of HMC by HAL ships?

Dennis

Does HAL now have year round cruises to, by, or near the Bahamas? I didn't think that it did. Or is it your question that perhaps now it will? I don't see this new port as changing HAL's itineraries.

I, too, think this good. Those of us who like Half Moon the way it is without mega bars and shops, etc., can keep it that way and let the funships have their own island. I have been at Grand Turk on HAL when a big Carnival ship arrived after us, and it changed dramatically.

Nothing on here (unless I missed it) actually says this is a private destination. I got the impression it's going to be yet another stop ships can make within The Bahamas. Like when they built Falmouth in Jamaica a few years back.

Maybe my memory is incorrect, I think Falmouth was developed with Royal Caribbean International funds.

You are correct, I think, that this new port will probably not be an exclusive one for CCL Brand ships or just Carnival Cruise Line ships.

With an increasing number of newbuilds coming and the Caribbean islands not becoming more numerous, all of the major cruise lines need to develop "new ports of call". If the political/humanitarian mess in Venezuela ever gets resolved, Caracas might once again become a very desirable city that attract cruise guests.

I have not been a fan of some of the "newly developed" ports of call. One, two visits to Grand Turk is enough, at least for me. But visiting Falmouth and the CCL developed port in Honduras when I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam this Winter were good experiences and they deserve another future visit, I hope.

How does a Carnival ship calling on HMC affect HAL cruisers (and HMC itself) since there is never a case where both a Carnival ship and HAL ship are there at the same time?

I was wondering the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because a Carnival ship calling at HMC means that a HAL ship cannot on that day.

It is not as if a HAL ship tries to go to HMC every day of the season. Looking at February 2017 there were ships calling at HMC on 18 of the 28 days and something like 11 HAL ships over 9 days. There are not enough dam ships in the Caribbean for that to be an issue.