What are expected gratuities for suites

I don't want to start yet another tips argument but would just like to know what the expected gratuities are when in a suite, per person per day - we will be an aft penthouse with large balcony (not sure if different suites have different recommendations). And I presume there is extra for butler as well?

I don't want to start yet another tips argument but would just like to know what the expected gratuities are when in a suite, per person per day - we will be an aft penthouse with large balcony (not sure if different suites have different recommendations). And I presume there is extra for butler as well?

Boy, this is such a "hot button" topic on here ya know. I've been in 2 suites so I'll just refer to them... We always give our steward an extra 40-80 dollar tip.. (doesn't matter if in a suite or not) then the Butler receives around 10PP/PD, however, if we order our dinner to be served in our cabin... that's an extra... (generally around 40-60 extra unless the service is really poor, then... well you get the picture) the concierge, on so many occasions goes above and beyond expectations but if not.. 5-7 PP/PD so not sure what you feel is appropriate.

The Butler and Concierge are not included in the DSC pool which is why we always tipped them separately. My late husband would never leave without tipping more, he loved the service we received.

In a SUITE, you will be charges $14.95 pp per day. That covers your cabin attendant (and helpers), waiters, ass't waiter, and head waiter. For ALL meals.

They call it a DSC (daily service charge)...that is the tip. No additional is expected or required.

In a SUITE, you will be charges $14.95 pp per day. That covers your cabin attendant (and helpers), waiters, ass't waiter, and head waiter. For ALL meals.

They call it a DSC (daily service charge)...that is the tip. No additional is expected or required.

From the Norwegian website...

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Depends a bit on when the cruise was booked, which ship (The SKY is different than all the others), and if you are pre-paying the daily service charge. The Butler and Concierge aren't included in the DSC, so you would tip them based upon how much or how little you use their services.

The steward is covered by the DSC. The butler and concierge are not. Give them a gratuity based on what they do for you. If you don't use them, don't tip them. Don't think of it as a per person per day gratuity, think of it as a gratuity for each individual thing they do. Don't let people try to convince you that just because you are in a suite you have to give the butler and concierge hundreds of dollars.

Your Butler and Concierge are not included in the DSC. Tipping is very personal and you should take into consideration what the Butler and Concierge does for you and in what manner they do it and, of course, your budget.

The $14.95 per person per day DSC goes to the Cabin Steward, Housekeeping, servers, behind the scenes personnel, etc.

After saying that, I also cruise in an aft penthouse and start with $10 per person per day for the Butler and $5 per person per day for the Concierge. I can add or subtrack depending on how good the service is or if the service is not up to par in my opinion. I will also tip the Cabin Steward extra if I feel their services exceeds expectations. Many tip more than me and many tip less than I do.

Wrong. You need to tip your butler and concierge separately. They are not part of the DSC.

General recommendation is $10-$15 per person per day for your butler. $5-$10 per person per day for the concierge and your cabin steward (extra on top of DSC).

Wrong. You need to tip your butler and concierge separately. They are not part of the DSC.

General recommendation is $10-$15 per person per day for your butler. $5-$10 per person per day for the concierge and your cabin steward (extra on top of DSC).

Unless you are having meals delivered to your suite or making a lot of special requests, I think $10PP/PD is very generous for the butler. Their basic responsibilities require that they spend very little time in your suite when delivering the afternoon snack and checking the coffee machine. Compare that to the amount of time the steward spends taking care of your suite.

The auto tips cover everything. I don't use the butler so do NOT tip for a service I don't use.

The steward is covered by the DSC. The butler and concierge are not. Give them a gratuity based on what they do for you. If you don't use them, don't tip them. Don't think of it as a per person per day gratuity, think of it as a gratuity for each individual thing they do. Don't let people try to convince you that just because you are in a suite you have to give the butler and concierge hundreds of dollars.

I think it's this. If you use them, Iv'e read that some people ask them to deliver snacks and meals at certain times of the day, etc, then you can tip them, if you don't ask them to do anything for you, then no need.

We've sailed in the SF suites. The two of us really don't have any needs from the butler and concierge other then the first day services they provide. And the butler did bring afternoon snacks each day even though we assured him we didn't really need more food. We tipped each of them $75 for at least having been available had we needed their services. We tipped the cabin stewardess $50. All were happy, shook hands, and the cabin stewardess wanted a hug from my wife. As someone said, there is no standard or expected amount for suite tipping. It's all how much you use the service and the service provided. Strictly up to you. I feel very comfortable with what we tip.

Woww you should tell your butler your not gonna tip him in the beginning of your cruise. Unless of course you feel badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've only been in a suite one time, but I wish I had known this. It might then have explained the fact that we saw our butler exactly once - when he stopped in to introduce himself. Needless to say, as much as I enjoyed those 30 seconds, I did not feel the need to leave him a tip.

I've only been in a suite one time, but I wish I had known this. It might then have explained the fact that we saw our butler exactly once - when he stopped in to introduce himself. Needless to say, as much as I enjoyed those 30 seconds, I did not feel the need to leave him a tip.
I agree with Cabincop, if you cruise in a suite again, just let your Butler know the first day of the cruise that you wouldn't need his/her services and you aren't leaving a tip. If you do that, the Butler can concentrate on the others who require his/her services.

I agree with Cabincop, if you cruise in a suite again, just let your Butler know the first day of the cruise that you wouldn't need his/her services and you aren't leaving a tip. If you do that, the Butler can concentrate on the others who require his/her services.

I didn't need to tell him. He apparently made that assumption on his own.

I didn't need to tell him. He apparently made that assumption on his own.

Were you planning on using his services? Did he not leave afternoon snacks in you cabin and restock the coffee machine? Some of the butlers are extremely good at reading guests needs from the first meeting, which may or may not be your case. Some butlers are just poor and/or overworked.

What auto tips?

The amount you are auto charged daily. They can be reduced or added to because they are discretionary but appear automatically unless you wish to revise them.

The whole tipping thing is out of hand. People think they should tip crew just for saying morning! In a suite you paid triple and quadruple for the parks as well as higher daily auto tips, so what more does the cruise want?

I like the idea of removing the auto tips and using cash as I go along to tip the people who actually served me.

What auto tips?
It is the Daily Service Charge on NCL. Most cruise lines, with the exception of most luxury lines, charge this although they have different names; such as, Daily Service Charge, Automatic Gratuities, Daily Gratuities, etc.

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.