Possible Expansion of Electronics Ban

TiogaCruiser

I would think the item would be just as likely to get damaged sending via Fedex, as packed in the centre of a suitcase.

I have virtually no concern about being able to protect my iPad from damage in checked luggage. I already have it in a protective cover and can certainly make sure it's sandwiched between enough clothing and not against a side or edge. What concerns me is theft from checked luggage and there's virtually no way to protect against that potential. On the other hand the idea of trying to locate a FedEx, DHL, or whatever shipping service in a foreign country may be easy or could be problematic and would also be impacted or complicated by your post cruise stay in the disembarkation city or country. Mrs K and I have thought about it and depending on what happens over the next few months the notion of buying an inexpensive tablet is an interesting option if it comes to that.

I've been mulling this over for my 2 week land based trip this summer

So since I really don't need the iPad to play games because I can survive without that

I'm not traveling on business

I've already printed out hard copy of vouchers etc

I've checked with the return airlines weeks ago about return checkin and of course I can print the boarding pass at the airport

So with just my iPhone

I can text back home

Call back home

Surf the web in wifi and 2/3/4 g

Put the $40 Verizon 100/100/100 plan on my phone

Check in for my return flights via iPhone or hotel desktop (could probably print my boarding passes too)

I can check my email

I can take pictures because that's the kind of pictures I need

While I want to take my iPad mini with me I'm wondering if I really need to?

I do not check luggage and Don't plan to start either

So do I really need it?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thinking about the shipping idea and recalling my recent experience (very good) with Luggage Mule & the prohibited items list they provided me with (and they do ship internationally via UPS), many electronics are considered prohibited items as well as batteries.

Companies will also not ship if it is prohibited by law.

So, shipping may not be an option for electronic devices.

why are these electronics, batteries, lower risk if packed into luggage and loaded into hold in belly of plane?. if the battery is going to ignite, in the cabin or the hold......... what's the differnece?

why are these electronics, batteries, lower risk if packed into luggage and loaded into hold in belly of plane?. if the battery is going to ignite, in the cabin or the hold......... what's the differnece?

CruiserBruce answered that in post 35. Double quoting posts is not working for me, so not able to add it in. It's on page 2.

Did that include insurance for the full value of the item? I ask because a couple of years ago I was looking at sending a Zeiss lens (worth about $900) back to the Zeiss office in the US for adjustment. Shipping at FedEx basic rate did not include insurance for anything like the full value and additional insurance for full value added greatly to the cost of the shipping.

No, I did it for $100 value. And, no insurance, just the ship. The "get a rate quote" feature does not have a spot for insurance, just item value. Probably put the shipping costs more than what the iPad is worth. An iPad Mini from 2011 is probably totally depreciated by now. I did it like those who book with Spirit airlines: cheapest available ;)

For the poster saying he/she would just use their smartphone: remember, you can put things you want up in "the cloud" and retrieve. I've had guests ask me to print out things for them - I'm sure you can do something similar. Usually, it is an easy email to me and then print.

CruiserBruce answered that in post 35. Double quoting posts is not working for me, so not able to add it in. It's on page 2.
Sorry.By the time a thread gets to 106 ( + -)posts I don't remember every preceding post When I was a 'young 'un, I suppose I did but ::D I dont' rememb er. ;) Edited by sail7seas

The difference is that in the hold of most transatlantic (or transpacific) type flights, the bags are stacked in those baggage containers, and the baggage container is put inside the plane. Thus a small explosive device is not near the outer skin of the aircraft. Additionally, those bag containers have been reinforced to contain explosions. An explosion of a small explosive device in that situation will most likely not puncture the other skin of the aircraft.

A small explosive near the outer skin of the aircraft is another topic. Think the "shoe bomber". He placed his feet against the side of the aircraft as he attempted to set off his small explosive cache. That is a far more dangerous situation than a small explosive device buried in a bag, in the baggage compartment.

I'll put this response up front again, because I wondered as well. Not all of us read a whole thread.

First I just want to say thanks to those who posted all of the information here! This hasn't made news here in our area yet.

Happily, I can use the wait and see approach for myself as we aren't flying until 2018. For me though personally going without my iPad would mean me canceling my trip. Sure, it is just a really really old iPad 2, but I have over 3,000 books for pleasure and college text books on it. I use it only for reading/studying and nothing else, it is to old to even work well with our home wi-fi 10 feet away from it. On the other hand, no matter where I am if I am not on my PC, I am reading. The best times on vacation for me, is when I just get to sit and listen to the water and read! I would seriously consider changing our plans for me and DH's 20th anniversary if it means risking my security blanket (aka iPad!!) in checked luggage. I would probably have to get a Xanax prescription to travel without it.

Short term concern I have is for one of my bosses whose trip I am helping plan. She is currently planning a Baltic cruise in September. They have a deposit on the cruise, but no airfare yet thankfully. Reason I say this, is she will be traveling with a 3 yr old and an 18 month old, who both have their own iPads (Hey, I work in a health-care type field so toddlers with iPads are normal it seems... :rolleyes:) Anyway, unless someone wants to be stuck on a flight to Denmark with 2 screaming toddlers because they are bored out of their minds... she so needs to watch this! And if she does book and it happens, anyone with her has my sincerest sympathies!

The difference is that in the hold of most transatlantic (or transpacific) type flights, the bags are stacked in those baggage containers, and the baggage container is put inside the plane. Thus a small explosive device is not near the outer skin of the aircraft. Additionally, those bag containers have been reinforced to contain explosions. An explosion of a small explosive device in that situation will most likely not puncture the other skin of the aircraft.

A small explosive near the outer skin of the aircraft is another topic. Think the "shoe bomber". He placed his feet against the side of the aircraft as he attempted to set off his small explosive cache. That is a far more dangerous situation than a small explosive device buried in a bag, in the baggage compartment.

In additional to the points CruiserBruce made, it is much harder for a terrorist to detonate a bomb which is in the hold. The crew would likely be less effected by an explosion on the hold, than in the cabin, so more likely to be able to fly to safety & make an emergency landing. Plus of course the windows in the cabin are a weak point in the event of an explosion.

First I just want to say thanks to those who posted all of the information here! This hasn't made news here in our area yet.

Happily, I can use the wait and see approach for myself as we aren't flying until 2018. For me though personally going without my iPad would mean me canceling my trip. Sure, it is just a really really old iPad 2, but I have over 3,000 books for pleasure and college text books on it. I use it only for reading/studying and nothing else, it is to old to even work well with our home wi-fi 10 feet away from it. On the other hand, no matter where I am if I am not on my PC, I am reading. The best times on vacation for me, is when I just get to sit and listen to the water and read! I would seriously consider changing our plans for me and DH's 20th anniversary if it means risking my security blanket (aka iPad!!) in checked luggage. I would probably have to get a Xanax prescription to travel without it.

Short term concern I have is for one of my bosses whose trip I am helping plan. She is currently planning a Baltic cruise in September. They have a deposit on the cruise, but no airfare yet thankfully. Reason I say this, is she will be traveling with a 3 yr old and an 18 month old, who both have their own iPads (Hey, I work in a health-care type field so toddlers with iPads are normal it seems... :rolleyes:) Anyway, unless someone wants to be stuck on a flight to Denmark with 2 screaming toddlers because they are bored out of their minds... she so needs to watch this! And if she does book and it happens, anyone with her has my sincerest sympathies!

That's a lot of books in a lightweight easy-to-pack object!

Your comments made me think about another loss if your computer or tablet is stolen, and that's the files on it. If you're going to risk putting the cheap "go ahead and steal it" tablet in your checked luggage, you'll have to remember to back up everything. Any books I have for reading or listening are backed up since they come from a cloud source to begin with. But any travel journal you keep electronically, photos you've stored on it, all of that stuff can be lost. For me, that's worth more than the object itself.

And then there's the personal info that could be mined...

That's a lot of books in a lightweight easy-to-pack object!

Your comments made me think about another loss if your computer or tablet is stolen, and that's the files on it. If you're going to risk putting the cheap "go ahead and steal it" tablet in your checked luggage, you'll have to remember to back up everything. Any books I have for reading or listening are backed up since they come from a cloud source to begin with. But any travel journal you keep electronically, photos you've stored on it, all of that stuff can be lost. For me, that's worth more than the object itself.

And then there's the personal info that could be mined...

If we buy a "go ahead and steal it" tablet it will have the bare necessities on it. No work, no personal business, and email will be reached through an internet link and no mail stored on the tablet. While that won't stop a baggage handler or whoever from stealing it our loss and risk would be limited to pretty much the cost of the tablet.

If we buy a "go ahead and steal it" tablet it will have the bare necessities on it. No work, no personal business, and email will be reached through an internet link and no mail stored on the tablet. While that won't stop a baggage handler or whoever from stealing it our loss and risk would be limited to pretty much the cost of the tablet.

I have an old tablet, and thought that would be a solution. But I have no idea what all is on it, so I would probably buy something new and be VERY careful about what I put on it. Get a new gmail address for the trip so there's no way to get into my "real" email. Better and easier than trying to "scrub" what I have.

I love the idea of a cheap tablet and would have no problem buying one if..

I checked luggage which I don't

I read books from a tablet which I don't

Personally I just like the ease of checking bank account and trip arrangements etc from an iPad versus an iPhone

I've resigned myself to my iPhone only though

I have an old tablet, and thought that would be a solution. But I have no idea what all is on it, so I would probably buy something new and be VERY careful about what I put on it. Get a new gmail address for the trip so there's no way to get into my "real" email. Better and easier than trying to "scrub" what I have.

Problem with using a new gmail is that everyone already has the old one so you could potentially miss important emails

Quick fix though is to of course do all your travel business using the new email and give the new address to those whom you absolutely must keep in contact with while away like neighbors friends and immediate family

You can and should give one trusted person access to your regular email too so they can check it every day and forward real important stuff

You should probably only get texts on your iPhone though because, if I'm not mistaken you need to sync the tablet to phone in order to get texts/messages on the tablet

I wouldn't want to sync anything if trying to protect my stuff

DH and I are traveling to Europe tomorrow morning and have decided to simplify our lives and leave the laptop at home. We'll only bring our phones and I bought a few books.

I'd actually love to bring my laptop, but with the possibility of a ban being put in place while we're away, we don't want to take the risk. :(

DH and I are traveling to Europe tomorrow morning and have decided to simplify our lives and leave the laptop at home. We'll only bring our phones and I bought a few books.

I'd actually love to bring my laptop, but with the possibility of a ban being put in place while we're away, we don't want to take the risk. :(

I'm doing the same thing but I also printed out hard copy of all the ressie etc

And of course setting up a good data plan on my iPhone as I can't always be in wifi unfortunately

I'm doing the same thing but I also printed out hard copy of all the ressie etc

And of course setting up a good data plan on my iPhone as I can't always be in wifi unfortunately

Be sure and turn your Data off !!! Your phone wants to constantly check for updates and that's what causes your data use & phone bill to skyrocket:)

Be sure and turn your Data off !!! Your phone wants to constantly check for updates and that's what causes your data use & phone bill to skyrocket:)

Turn it off onboard, yes, but if you have a quality data plan, you can turn it on onshore. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a data plan usable anywhere in the world (say, like T-Mo), if you keep it turned of ;)

;)

Turn it off onboard, yes, but if you have a quality data plan, you can turn it on onshore. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a data plan usable anywhere in the world (say, like T-Mo), if you keep it turned of ;)

I turn it on when I need it and then off again. No point burning Data just because your phone is constantly "reaching" out searching for location and updates.

;)

I turn it on when I need it and then off again. No point burning Data just because your phone is constantly "reaching" out searching for location and updates.

On some carriers you can get an international plan that is unlimited data for $10 per 24 hours (International Day Passes) for many countries. Both AT&T and Verizion have similar plans like that. I plan on doing that the when I am in Europe this summer. I can do that on my AT&T plan. I will have unlimited data, voice and text.

;)

Or you can just get TMobile with free international data and text, $.20/minute phone and then use your phone just like you do in the US.