Possible Expansion of Electronics Ban

TiogaCruiser

If you've ever watched airport scenes from movies made as recently as twenty years ago, you will notice the passengers are looking at bulky items that appear to be made of paper, with separate leaves which they use their fingers to pry apart. Can anyone tell me what they are doing? Could we be forced to return to such barbaric implements?;p

If you've ever watched airport scenes from movies made as recently as twenty years ago, you will notice the passengers are looking at bulky items that appear to be made of paper, with separate leaves which they use their fingers to pry apart. Can anyone tell me what they are doing? Could we be forced to return to such barbaric implements?;p

I never travel without one, but I'm definitely in the minority from what I can see on any flight I take.

As I remember, the stewardesses would walk through the cabin with a selection of those paper items and the passengers could choose their favorites. Strange, there was no charge for using these items.

Imagine that:D Maybe they were reading books? :D Surely we all have at least a few in our homes.

Love it!:cool:

I'm one who love these barbaric implements & keep buying them.. Prices keep coming down, but may start to go up when others decide not to purchase them..:(

P.S. I have a kindle but never use it..Will give to the kids.

We have been hearing about the possibility of these new electronic bans on planes on our local news for a couple of weeks.

I haven't taken a laptop on a plane in a few years. And last year we sure have could used one as the second leg of our flight home from San Diego had no movie or music -- nothing!!

We have been hearing about the possibility of these new electronic bans on planes on our local news for a couple of weeks.

I haven't taken a laptop on a plane in a few years. And last year we sure have could used one as the second leg of our flight home from San Diego had no movie or music -- nothing!!

I always travel with my surface pro.... combination computer and tablet. It is relatively small an d light weight but certainly y larger than a cell phone.

That is going to make passengers unhappy. United's newer planes have no seat-back entertainment. They have wifi-based entertainment that you watch on your own device. I have no desire to watch a movie on my cell phone screen!

iPhone 7 plus

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting development. I find it ironic that just as wifi is becoming almost universally available on long flights, we are now going to be required to travel without most of the devices that take advantage of that availability. :confused:

While I'd like to think we would return to the days of passengers quietly reading their old-fashioned books, magazines and newspapers, I doubt it. Instead -- with some airlines already permitting in-flight phone calls and more considering it -- I foresee a dreadful possibility that on my next long-haul flight I will be subjected to the passengers in front of, behind, and next to me all talking on their cell phones nonstop throughout the flight. (Since they won't have any other electronics to entertain themselves with.)

I do have one question about this proposal. If these electronic devices are deemed unsafe in the cabin due to their potential to contain explosives, are they really any safer in the cargo hold? Do planes already screen luggage that goes in the hold in a different way that would be more likely to detect something?

I'm mostly concerned with safety of any checked devices.

If my iPad, or laptop has to be checked, how will it be protected from luggage abuse and luggage thieves?

And of course, what devices will be included? (I.e.: DSLRs?, stand alone hard drives?)

Edited by TiogaCruiser

For those people making the snarky comments about using books instead of tablets: Did you also see that the "ban" may extend to DLSR cameras? You might have to buy a point & shoot or, oh no, a smartphone for your camera...

That google article had the photo of potential banned devices and a camera was right there...

For those people making the snarky comments about using books instead of tablets: Did you also see that the "ban" may extend to DLSR cameras? You might have to buy a point & shoot or, oh no, a smartphone for your camera...

That google article had the photo of potential banned devices and a camera was right there...

Camera? iPhone 7 plus!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know, I know; I wasn't being snarky, mostly tongue-in-cheek while marveling how much has changed in such a relatively short time frame. As cruisemom pointed out above, there is irony about living in an era when technology is both prevalent and necessary, while potentially unusable in certain situations. It's a Pandora's box, both blessing and bane. She asks a good question, too, about the screening of luggage in the cargo hold. I can't answer that one; does anybody else know?

(I was a flight attendant for Pan Am once upon a time, and I literally loathe the experience that flying has become. You couldn't pay me enough money to be a flight attendant now. I almost never fly, preferring to do cruises from ports to which I can drive or take ground transportation).

Interesting development. I find it ironic that just as wifi is becoming almost universally available on long flights, we are now going to be required to travel without most of the devices that take advantage of that availability. :confused:

While I'd like to think we would return to the days of passengers quietly reading their old-fashioned books, magazines and newspapers, I doubt it. Instead -- with some airlines already permitting in-flight phone calls and more considering it -- I foresee a dreadful possibility that on my next long-haul flight I will be subjected to the passengers in front of, behind, and next to me all talking on their cell phones nonstop throughout the flight. (Since they won't have any other electronics to entertain themselves with.)

I do have one question about this proposal. If these electronic devices are deemed unsafe in the cabin due to their potential to contain explosives, are they really any safer in the cargo hold? Do planes already screen luggage that goes in the hold in a different way that would be more likely to detect something?

DHS/TSA seems to not be able to actually think out a process, but instead only perform knee jerk reactions to something. Yep, a tablet/camera/computer in the hold is no safer. Any bombs in electronics that I remember were in the holds, not in the cabin. To me, it is mostly "security theater", designed to just give the illusion of security. TSA does have the X-ray for baggage, but the new scanner they think they need is still awhile off.

If I put a phone feature (like Skype) on my iPad Mini, it becomes my "smartphone." It's not much bigger than those big smartphones...