Room Service No Longer Free?

I have read several posts that indicate that room service is no longer free. Yet on other posts they report not fee. Please help! My husband and I love to have room service deliver our breakfast, but probably won't do it if there is a fee. We have booked a Junior Suite on our next cruise (first time for this stateroom category) Does that make any difference in the room service?

Thanks for your help!!!

I have read several posts that indicate that room service is no longer free. Yet on other posts they report not fee. Please help! My husband and I love to have room service deliver our breakfast, but probably won't do it if there is a fee. We have booked a Junior Suite on our next cruise (first time for this stateroom category) Does that make any difference in the room service?

Thanks for your help!!!

JS guests still have to pay. Some ships may not have implemented the new fee based room service yet, but it won't be long until it is fleetwide.

Continental breakfast is free with the hanger, anything hot incurs a $7.95 service fee. We were on the Allure last week and found some deliveries to be great as expected, and served with a smile and others were all wrong, presented sloppy, and delivered too early. I suspect there are some staff who no longer want to be bothered with the free deliveries when there are orders that include gratuity in the service fee.

Continental breakfast is free with the hanger, anything hot incurs a $7.95 service fee. We were on the Allure last week and found some deliveries to be great as expected, and served with a smile and others were all wrong, presented sloppy, and delivered too early. I suspect there are some staff who no longer want to be bothered with the free deliveries when there are orders that include gratuity in the service fee.

That's sad...bothered by "free" deliveries.....I and probably most all appreciate their delivery and have always tipped well.

That's sad...bothered by "free" deliveries.....I and probably most all appreciate their delivery and have always tipped well.

That is the only thing I can think of that would explain the inconsistent service, some deliveries were similar to the great service we have had in the past, while others it was almost like they were trying to mess it up. We also had a quarantined member of our group whom was told to order all her food from room service free of charge. Some of the calls, the attendant told me they didn't have the items on the list provided at medical, she spilled all the liquid out of the soup, sent a bottle of water without a glass or ice. Other calls gladly sent the broth only that I request which was nicely prepared to prevent spilling, brought water with a glass, ice, a straw. I really didn't appreciate the server who would call my room 45 minutes prior to the requested delivery time on the breakfast hanger to let me know the order (that was never correct when this person would deliver) was on its way. Very inconsistent because like I said, other orders were perfect and the server was friendly.

That is the only thing I can think of that would explain the inconsistent service, some deliveries were similar to the great service we have had in the past, while others it was almost like they were trying to mess it up. We also had a quarantined member of our group whom was told to order all her food from room service free of charge. Some of the calls, the attendant told me they didn't have the items on the list provided at medical, she spilled all the liquid out of the soup, sent a bottle of water without a glass or ice. Other calls gladly sent the broth only that I request which was nicely prepared to prevent spilling, brought water with a glass, ice, a straw. I really didn't appreciate the server who would call my room 45 minutes prior to the requested delivery time on the breakfast hanger to let me know the order (that was never correct when this person would deliver) was on its way. Very inconsistent because like I said, other orders were perfect and the server was friendly.

Key word "inconsistent" applies to everything....no surprise there. ;)

I know on the new menus it says that the alcoholic drinks (Mimosa etc.) are at bar prices. Do you have to pay that even if you get continental and have the deluxe package?

If you order extra cost drinks from room service, you pay for the drink, even if you have a beverage package.

We always tip even for continental breakfast and I think most people do

JS's don't have dining tables, so it's still not comfortable eating a "full" meal in the cabin.

JS Balcony on Harmony. Surprised there was only a small table.....since reg balcony cabins had taller table. Loved the large balcony but no Al Fresco dining.

85646f54deed46b8903058513dbcdfd6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We always tip even for continental breakfast and I think most people do

We do too. But after this past cruise, I am going to alter how I tip for room service. I used to tip a set amount based on how much I ordered. From now on, I will keep my tip money near the door and determine the amount based on delivery. If they deliver my breakfast 45 minutes before the start of my requested time, and don't bother to go over the order before walking out the door, I am going to pull out much less than those who show up close to the chosen time and take the extra 10 second to make sure it is correct. I think it will result in tipping the same amount overall by the end.

Do we know how much of the $7.95 is a tip? I bet people still tip on top of it, especially as the charge is new.

JS Balcony on Harmony. Surprised there was only a small table.....since reg balcony cabins had taller table. Loved the large balcony but no Al Fresco dining.

We made do with the small table for al fresco breakfast.

I honestly do not think any portion of the fee is a gratuity for the delivery person.

From Royal Caribbean Website FAQ section on "Room Service":

"Q: Are gratuities included in the room service charge?

A: Gratuity is included in the delivery charge for room service. Additional gratuities are at the guest's discretion."

You know, I'm not an al fresco kind guy. The low tables work well with just sitting back and enjoying a drink.

BTW, are those the reclining chairs?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I think if the tip is in the computer system, they get spread around. If you give cash tip, then they get to keep it. We even had an assistant waiter mention he only got 5 cents of the dollar we added to a ticket.

We used to love how Royal Caribbean called ahead of time w/ the room service order on the way. We may have to adjust our tipping depending on how well they process the order. I'm surprised about soup getting sloshed. Because I do know they cover the drink glasses w/ plastic wrap.