Passport collection

tempus137

On our recent Greek Isles cruise on the Star, our passports were collected at the terminal in Venice, right after check-in but before boarding. We were told they would be returned when we left Greece.

This was the first time i ever had to surrender my passport (1 previous European cruise, plus a couple of land-based vacations). They announced at each port that you should have your room card plus photo ID with you when you went ashore, but they never checked your photo ID when you came back to the ship.

Since I normally carry my passport with me on shore, what would have happened if I had missed the ship & had to travel to the next port without a passport.

I'm pretty certain they would have left your passport with the port authorities.

My understanding is that this is general procedure if you miss a port anyway.

Them holding the passport actually makes it easier than is often the case where they have to get the passport from the room.

Edited by KeithJenner

Holding the passport is VERY common these days. We had ours held while cruising in South America and also from Rome to Singapore. It is easier for them to hold them for countries where they have to be checked and stamped rather than everyone to go through the formalities as you leave the boat. Often the passport is returned on board, you go through the formalities on board and they then keep the passports for next time.

Our US passports were held in Southampton upon check-in last year for a Med cruise. We were told by the check-in staff that it is their procedire for non-EU passports. She did not elaborate. We had no problem in ports and just brought our card and DL. Our passports were returned onboard days before the end of cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our US passports were held in Southampton upon check-in last year for a Med cruise. We were told by the check-in staff that it is their procedire for non-EU passports. She did not elaborate. We had no problem in ports and our passports were returned onboard days before the end of cruise.

The way that passports are dealt with on European cruises varies from itinerary to itinerary, depending on what ports are visited.

In my experience, on most itineraries don't have any passport collection etc. Some have collections for everyone, and some have some immigration checks onboard, but you keep your passport.

Countries which do seem to occasionally cause an issue are Britain, Israel, Turkey (when they visited it) and apparently sometimes Greece (although I've been there 3 times on cruises with no passport issues).

When friends were on a cruise which stopped in Israel, their passports were collected.

Yes, ours were too, and Israeli officials were onboard. We had to go to the theatre to collect them and see the Israeli immigration staff.

due to rules with certain countries, this happens.

Many countries that you visit would normally require you to pass through immigration, but a cruise ship is treated differently.

As to checking you ID when you board - that is not needed because you have your keycard with a photo attached (in their computer)

Not at all uncommon. You don't need a passport to travel from city to city in Greece, just like in the US. Ferries are plentiful, and if you actually miss the ship you would probably make the next port before the ship does. Also you should note that if you misss the ship your passport is likely to be left with the port agent.

We were on a 14 days Mediterranean cruise with Norwegian Spirit from Barcelona to Civitavecchia (Rome) this month (May) - entire itinerary was in "Schengen countries", and ALL passports (including passports for passengers of European nationality) were collected at check-in on embarkation day and not returned until day 11 of the cruise (a sea day, we were arriving in Sicily/Italy the next day). I see some of you have stated that this often happens if the ship visits Greek ports, but I have done about 15 cruises in Europe in the past, and being of European nationality this is the first time it has happened. For our particular cruise I actually believe that the reason was that ITALIAN (not Greek) authorities wanted to know the details on every passenger before we arrived in Italy because of the G7 meeting in Taormina (Sicily, Italy) that would take place a week after our visit there. We stayed in Rome for 1 night after the cruise, and our flight home the next day was from Rome to Oslo. 24 hours before the flight, I got a text message from the airline company stating that because of the upcoming G7 meeting, Italian authorities wanted detailed information about every passenger on both incoming AND outbound flights, so for the very first time when travelling between Schengen countries as a Schengen national, I had to fill out passport details etc. before I could check in to our flight from Rome to Oslo.

Edited by TrumpyNor

Countries which do seem to occasionally cause an issue are Britain, Israel, Turkey (when they visited it) and apparently sometimes Greece (although I've been there 3 times on cruises with no passport issues).

I think in the OP's case it was because Montenegro was on the itinerary. So Greek immigration would have needed to process everyone for re-entry into Schengen.

And as the previous poster experienced, even within Schengen, countries are allowed to reinstate border procedures temporarily in response to specific situations/events.

Interesting conversation. I have a couple of comments that may or may not help some people. There appears to be some naiveté. :cool:

When we were on a Med cruise, leaving from Barcelona gong to Venice, we gave our passports to the person at check-in. Did not know that we would be doing this prior to cruise. So, no giving passport to NCL, no cruise for you. There were no issues and got them back the day before we went into Venice. Cruise lines are very responsible when doing this. They have to work with the immigration in each country; they aren't stealing them with criminal intent. Taking and returning passports from passengers is more work for them.

Secondly, get a copy of your passport and take it with you into port; you can put a picture of it on your phone. It is always a good idea to have a copy/picture of your passport anyway.

Safe cruising all!!!

Edited by Cruisercl
typos

We have been on several cruises that require surrendering one's passport. We always make several copies of our passport )the relevant pages) before we leave. We take a copy with us when we go ashore. Have never had a problem.

We surrended our passports on a cruise around South America. Actually it is more convenient as a passenger because you can get off the ship when in port and do your excursion rather than each passenger having to meet individually with customs before you can leave the ship. Once we were past Brazil the ship announced where and when for us to pick up our passports and never needed them again until we returned to the US in New York at the end of the cruise.

Interesting conversation. I have a couple of comments that may or may not help some people. There appears to be some naiveté. :cool:

When we were on a Med cruise, leaving from Barcelona gong to Venice, we gave our passports to the person at check-in. Did not know that we would be doing this prior to cruise. So, no giving passport to NCL, no cruise for you. There were no issues and got them back the day before we went into Venice. Cruise lines are very responsible when doing this. They have to work with the immigration in each country; they aren't stealing them with criminal intent. Taking and returning passports from passengers is more work for them.

Secondly, get a copy of your passport and take it with you into port; you can put a picture of it on your phone. It is always a good idea to have a copy/picture of your passport anyway.

Safe cruising all!!!

I agree with you. We always make a copies of our passports and carry on smartly. Years ago when I joined my husband at a foreign country base to live and work I had to surrender my passport. It was held a couple of days and then I received it back and this was 35 years ago! It really is not a big deal.

A heads up for anyone who might be thinking of checking into a European hotel for a pre or post cruise stay. The hotel may also collect your pass port and keep it for the duration of your stay.

Their country, their rules.

Again why is this a necessity?

We were on the Star, Sept. 24, 2015, departed from Copenhagen,1st stop Rotterdam... then Portland England... we were advised well in advance that we would need to surrender our passports in Portland and receive them back in Cork, Ireland. Why? because they said so and they don't need to explain anything to you. We don't govern what other countries do, that's a fact! If you refuse to surrender your passport, they can do as they wish... whatever that might be. They rule what happens, not the cruise line, not you.

And yes, they can require you to surrender your passport at a hotel as well. Didn't happen the last time but certainly can happen.

We've had them taken from us at boarding a few times, once in Rome, once in Istanbul and once in Venice. Each time we were handed a receipt and got them back before we needed them. One time we asked why and were told that actually being from the UK we didn't need to hand in. So it's worth checking but after paying for the cruise, if it takes having to hand it in to board, they can have it gladly.

Interestingly every Spanish resort we've ever visited, we've had to hand them over too.