Please help stop the hoarding of daybeds in the solarium!!!😡

I am not a sun-worshipper (I burn too easily, and worry about melanoma, etc.), so I don't really care about sitting in a deck chair. But this conversation, and human nature does interest me...

Some of you advocate, moving the offending 'chair hog's' stuff after a reasonable interval, and I agree, that is fair.

But have any of you done that and are confronted by an emotionally disturbed person, that exhibit's "road rage" behavior over it? Just like moving someone's stuff left in a washing machine in a laundermat...you never know who you are dealing with.

And if the other person does react violently, there's a fair chance that intervening ship security will have you both kicked off at the next port, even though it was not your fault...

So I would say, be careful...is it really worth it?

The sad thing is that if no one occupied chairs they were not actually using (with the exceptions of going to the bathroom, in the pool or hot tub for a fairly short period, getting a quick bite to bring back to your chair, etc.), there would be plenty of chairs.

The sad thing is that if no one occupied chairs they were not actually using (with the exceptions of going to the bathroom, in the pool or hot tub for a fairly short period, getting a quick bite to bring back to your chair, etc.), there would be plenty of chairs.

Especially the ones that hoard chairs in 2-3 places so they are guaranteed one in different spots throughout the day. The problem comes because a few do it, so then others try to one-up them to get it even earlier, and then many others feel they have to do it to actually have a seat.

My wife and I probably used a lounger for 1 hour a day on average, and while we could not always find one where we wanted to be (mainly in the shade somewhere), we could usually find something. It does get frustrating walking around for 20 minutes just to find a chair, but I won't lower myself to the behavior of others just to avoid that 20 minutes a couple of times a day. My wife would also never allow me to remove somebody else's stuff, though I would probably have no issue with it.

So we are all sending written messages to RC right? I will advocate for 2 hour reservations

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Doesn't doing that just invite RC to start charging for the use of loungers?

I am not a sun-worshipper (I burn too easily, and worry about melanoma, etc.), so I don't really care about sitting in a deck chair. But this conversation, and human nature does interest me...

Some of you advocate, moving the offending 'chair hog's' stuff after a reasonable interval, and I agree, that is fair.

But have any of you done that and are confronted by an emotionally disturbed person, that exhibit's "road rage" behavior over it? Just like moving someone's stuff left in a washing machine in a laundermat...you never know who you are dealing with.

And if the other person does react violently, there's a fair chance that intervening ship security will have you both kicked off at the next port, even though it was not your fault...

So I would say, be careful...is it really worth it?

Good advice and I believe this is why the staff are reluctant to do anything. They don't want the confrontation if they can help it. Not pleasant.

I also agree that if people just used the chair when they were actually sitting in it, there would be more than enough chairs for everyone. I have taken many cruises, and sit less than an hour a day, but often have difficulty finding a chair. While I have sat on the edge of the chair with stuff on it, and will leave if someone returns,it does frustrate me a little. It is not pleasant to do.

I can see leaving for five minutes to go to the bathroom, but even planning to leave for 30 minutes, I think one should vacate the chair and find another upon returning.

On Anthem, I asked what their policy was and I was told by the pool staff that before 10:30 if the chair is unoccupied for 30 minutes they would remove it. As it 9:50, I waited thinking all the unoccupied chairs and loungers would become free. (I would estimate about 75% of the chairs in the Solarium were unoccupied at 9:50). I watched and did not see the staff remove stuff from even one chair. Only wanting to sit for an hour, I left at about 10:45. On the way by, I asked sweetly, out of curiosity, when the stuff would be removed and the staff reply was, oh, its past 10:30.

I wonder what would happen in the Windjammer, if at breakfast one decided that they liked a particular table so much, they wanted to save it for lunch. I bet dining staff would remove stuff pretty hastily.

LOL.

This is something I'll never understand-- if you want the chairs, get up early like the rest of us and get them! You can't stroll out to the pool at 11:30 and expect me to get up from my chair because "it's not fair!"I mean seriously people. And the logic of the half hour waiting period.... So if there's a game of volleyball in the pool or I'm simply enjoying my vacation for more than a half hour, I would lose my seat?! Grow up people!

giphy.gif

Of you want RC to do something about chair hogs, write them about it. Whatever you want to say is ok. I will ask that they implement 2 hour reservations for the cabana type seats

This is something I'll never understand-- if you want the chairs, get up early like the rest of us and get them! You can't stroll out to the pool at 11:30 and expect me to get up from my chair because "it's not fair!"I mean seriously people. And the logic of the half hour waiting period.... So if there's a game of volleyball in the pool or I'm simply enjoying my vacation for more than a half hour, I would lose my seat?! Grow up people!

giphy.gif

You think that was a mic drop moment? Did you even read the thread?

giphy.gif

And, therein lies the crux of the issue: an erroneous belief that once you put an item on a chair, that chair belongs to you for the day - EVEN IF YOU DON'T USE IT.

Certainly, whoever shows up earliest should have their pick of an available chair or two (up to the number of individuals in their own cabin). But, the reasonable expectation at every resort and on every cruise ship in the world (other than when such chairs are a "paid for" or otherwise assigned amenity) is that, by selecting the chair(s), you understand that they are for use RIGHT THEN and only until such time that they are left unoccupied beyond a specified time limit per the posted rules of the management. And a half hour to forty-five minutes with no-butt-in-the-chair would be a more than generous allowance.

So, if you put your stuff on a chair at 8:00 AM and return with your roommate by 8:30 AM, no problemo. But, if you don't show back up until 10:00 AM, your stuff should be long gone (thanks to the vigilant pool personnel.

This "ain't rocket science." It's just good common sense and courtesy.

And, therein lies the crux of the issue: an erroneous belief that once you put an item on a chair, that chair belongs to you for the day - EVEN IF YOU DON'T USE IT.

Certainly, whoever shows up earliest should have their pick of an available chair or two (up to the number of individuals in their own cabin). But, the reasonable expectation at every resort and on every cruise ship in the world (other than when such chairs are a "paid for" or otherwise assigned amenity) is that, by selecting the chair(s), you understand that they are for use RIGHT THEN and only until such time that they are left unoccupied beyond a specified time limit per the posted rules of the management. And a half hour to forty-five minutes with no-butt-in-the-chair would be a more than generous allowance.

So, if you put your stuff on a chair at 8:00 AM and return with your roommate by 8:30 AM, no problemo. But, if you don't show back up until 10:00 AM, your stuff should be long gone (thanks to the vigilant pool personnel.

This "ain't rocket science." It's just good common sense and courtesy.

I REALLY hope you're on my next cruise. When you sit down in the Windjammer and run to the bathroom- that's now my table! The table is for RIGHT THEN! YOU DON'T OWN IT! This "ain't rocket science." It's just good common sense and courtesy.

I REALLY hope you're on my next cruise. When you sit down in the Windjammer and run to the bathroom- that's now my table! The table is for RIGHT THEN! YOU DON'T OWN IT! This "ain't rocket science." It's just good common sense and courtesy.

I know you are just trying to prove a point, but if you had actually read what you replied to instead of cherry picking one comment, you might see nyroadrunner actually said that 30-45 minutes should be ample time. If are in the bathroom for 30-45 minutes while eating at the windjammer, you may have other problems.

So do you think you are entitled to that chair all day, because you are "enjoying your vacation"? If you don't like the half hour waiting period, then how long do you think it should be? 1 hour? 3 hours? All day? What if you get to a chair early, then you go play volleyball in the pool, then you go eat lunch, then you go rock climbing, then you go to a shop, then you go get a snack, then you go play minigolf, then you go play some games in the arcade...do you think the chair should remain yours this entire time, no matter how long you are gone, "enjoying your vacation"?

giphy.gif

When you walk away from your mic dropping bit, I'll be moving your mic to the other chair holding someone's crap.

As someone else just posted: if you have to leave your buffet table for more than a half hour to forty-five minutes (or the ninety minutes in my earlier deck chair example) to go to the bathroom, you've got bigger issues than table hogging.

As for that "next cruise": I'm betting our cruise itinerary and cruise line preferences are vastly different than yours. So, don't worry about our paths crossing.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

We recently cruised the Harmony of the Seas in June. I was appalled to see how selfish people were! There are plenty of deck chairs to go around but no more than about 15 day bed canopies. I literally witnessed people putting towels and books in them and reserving them for hours on end! This has to stop! I think Royal should put a new protocol in place that if day beds are left unattended then they become free for use for the next guest. No one should be holding on to these. There are only about a dozen to share between almost 6000 guests! It should be used for lounging and relaxing purposes only! Not as a resting spot while you go off to breakfast, lunch, dinner, shop, swim, etc. There are deck chairs for all of that! There were so many people who were angered by this and something needs to be done. Please join in my contacting Royal Caribbean in order to get this changed! It may be a small issue to some, but to others like myself that paid upwards of 5k for this trip only to never have gotten the opportunity to relax in the day beds due to the selfish hoarding of others it was highly upsetting!

I was instantly turned off from those day beds. I sat in one and realized someone left behind butt odor.....they're stuffy. You never know what people leave in there after they depart.

Get up earlier.

I agree. Like wise... one doesn't 'hold' chairs at the bars, why should a pool deck chair thought to be different? If you get up and walk away it's open for the taking. And I do get up early when I want to go poolside early. But otherwise, I wait, watch closely, and then make my move. If someone doesn't like it, they should stay seated in the chair.

speaking of windjammer, on my last cruise I put my food down with my sunglasses and hat as well did my husband. We went back to get drinks from soda fountain. When we came back 3 minutes later, a couple had moved our food and my stuff and sat in our seats. I said, excuse me, we were sitting there. They replied, no you got up and moved. I did stand my ground and they did move but they were really upset. I think the overall rule should be that if it is occupied, find somewhere else to sit. I realize it isn't fair; however, if you start having the mindset that you can just move stuff, then it does become a problem. My husband and I laughed about it because it was comical when it happened and still is.

Count me in the camp of being bewildered by the attitude that one who "gets there early" to claim a prime seat is therefore entitled to that space for the day regardless if they are occupying it or not. These are public spaces; everyone has a right to use the public spaces. I have only left a chair with my belongings on it to use the pool/spa or run and grab a drink/ice cream. I also keep it within eyeshot because I don't want my belongings to disappear. If I'm leaving for a meal I don't plan to bring to my chair or do another activity, I forfeit my chair. It's only fair.

If all there is is a towel or 1 personal item and it's clear no one is around and hasn't been for a while, I simply move it to the side. I have never had anyone confront me for moving their stuff, because I'm gone before they come back--if at all.

I say, if you feel you have the right to keep a chair in a public space all day regardless if you are physically using it or not, then maybe if lines begin offering rentable prime lounging spaces, that would be ideal for you. Otherwise, I have just as much right to use a public space regardless of what time I "show up".

Yes, enjoy your vacation. It is perfectly reasonable to come down to the pool deck and place your flip-flop on a lounge chair and save it for the day. I mean, you should enjoy your vacation. But wait a minute. The other guy is trying to enjoy his vacation too but he can't because some a** hole has put a flip flop on the only chair left.

Count me in the camp of being bewildered by the attitude that one who "gets there early" to claim a prime seat is therefore entitled to that space for the day regardless if they are occupying it or not. These are public spaces; everyone has a right to use the public spaces. I have only left a chair with my belongings on it to use the pool/spa or run and grab a drink/ice cream. I also keep it within eyeshot because I don't want my belongings to disappear. If I'm leaving for a meal I don't plan to bring to my chair or do another activity, I forfeit my chair. It's only fair.

If all there is is a towel or 1 personal item and it's clear no one is around and hasn't been for a while, I simply move it to the side. I have never had anyone confront me for moving their stuff, because I'm gone before they come back--if at all.

I say, if you feel you have the right to keep a chair in a public space all day regardless if you are physically using it or not, then maybe if lines begin offering rentable prime lounging spaces, that would be ideal for you. Otherwise, I have just as much right to use a public space regardless of what time I "show up".

100% agree.