Blu or MDR for meeting people?

tom_uk

This might be an odd question, but here goes.

My wife and I are looking at returning to X for our cruise next year - we've done three with X in the past but not since 2009 on Solstice. We're in the UK and would probably pick a fly-cruise in the Med. On our cruises we like to meet people and have conversations with them and in these days of flexible dining we always say that we're happy to share a large table with others.

Now to the question. We'd have a balcony cabin but we're undecided between standard/Concierge on the one hand, and Aqua on the other. We know that Aqua brings with it meals in Blu, and the menus, etc, attract us. However, we get the feeling that Blu features a lot of two-top tables and not so many multiple seat tables, and that as a result it might be harder to meet people over dinner on a shared table as described above. Are my assumptions wrong? What has been other passengers experience of sharing tables and meeting other passengers in Blu?

If you are in Traditional Dining you will meet the people at your table. If you choose Select Dining you may meet different people each evening. As said the two tops in Blu are very close together and it is quite easy to start a conversation. Be warned however that many people really don't want to speak to others for a variety of reasons and you should not feel offended if some do not welcome conversation.

If you are in Traditional Dining you will meet the people at your table. If you choose Select Dining you may meet different people each evening. As said the two tops in Blu are very close together and it is quite easy to start a conversation. Be warned however that many people really don't want to speak to others for a variety of reasons and you should not feel offended if some do not welcome conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We enjoyed dining in Blu and regularly met up with another couple so that we were seated next to each other. The larger tables are typically taken by larger groups (more than 4) or families of 4 or more. We did, more often than not, chat a little with folks at adjacent tables. However, the small talk listed only a short time with the exception of our planned meet-ups with couples we met through our roll call and on excursions.

On our last cruise, we had Select dining in the MDR. After one rather uncomfortable meal at a large table, we opted to have a table for two for all of our dinners and breakfasts in the MDR. Listening to people complain about the food, service etc is not my idea of a pleasant meal so we chose to plan our meals/drinks with our folks prior to arriving at the dining room. We met many great people through our roll call and opted to meet up with them for pre-dinner drinks or for dinner whenever we wanted company.

As an aside, the food and service in Blu was quite good - and I wish I could choose Aqua for all of my cruises. That said, I have a hard time justifying the additional cost of Aqua compared to a veranda cabin. Having sailed in Concierge on Infinity, I enjoyed the larger cabin that Concierge class provided. However, the other "perks" weren't worthwhile IMHO. Other than the extra Captain's Club points, I don't think the perks for Concierge are worth a big difference in cost. If you can upgrade to Concierge or Aqua, I would choose Aqua over Concierge so long as the premium is not high. Personally, I'm not going to pay $800 - $1,000 pp for Aqua compared to a 1A or 1B cabin. When the difference is only $100 - $200 pp, it makes sense to me to go with Aqua.

The other consideration for Aqua is that the cabin locations are sometimes less desirable because they are directly under public areas/pool area. All the more reason to check the cabin spreadsheet before you select your cabin.

Edited by cruisin' lady

We prefer Blu as you can choose to talk to people or not, you can usually tell if someone wants to spark up a conversation on an adjacent table.

I would find it hard going if you were on a bigger table and someone didn't want to have a conversation.

Food is great in Blu, in my opinion as good as the speciality restaurants with the exception of Murano. I haven't eaten in the MDR so can't comment on the comparison.

8 cruises in AQ and always met fabulous people - most in Blu.

The tables for two are close enough to start a conversation and far apart enough to ignore people you'd prefer not to start a conversation with ;)

As said the two tops in Blu are very close together and it is quite easy to start a conversation. Be warned however that many people really don't want to speak to others for a variety of reasons and you should not feel offended if some do not welcome conversation.

That was my feeling - that it was more of a 'couples' environment.

@Cruisin' Lady: I'd forgotten the Roll Calls! For whatever reason P&O passengers (we've mainly cruised with them out of Southampton the last 8 years or so) just don't do Roll Calls.

Of course, meeting people from the roll call would work well for meals in the MDR as well.

And sometimes there are language issues...but everyone is friendly.

We have met great folks in BLU, shared our b day and anniv cakes with those neaby, but we also enjoy the variety of not having a set group at our table.

Often if you come close to the same time each evening you run into many familiar faces,..

Meeting other cruisers at dinner is quite easy in the MDR either traditional or select if you are seated at a large table.

When we ate in Blue, not so much.

We were in a CC cabin on our last cruise with late traditional dinning at a table for eight. Four of us from the USA and four from the UK.

If your focus really is meeting others and conversation, the MDR and Select Dining is by far the better choice. Yes, the 2 tops in Blu are close, but if your "neighbor" is not interested in talking (or the table is empty) you are out of luck. In the MDR, asking to share will get you a larger table, more interaction and likely the opportunity to meet different folks every night.

..The tables for two are close enough to start a conversation and far apart enough to ignore people you'd prefer not to start a conversation with ;)

That is why we like Select dining in the MDR - the first time we sat next to someone that wasn't interested in talking, we felt a little awkward, but we quickly learned to make one attempt to start a conversation and if there was no reciprocal interest to just enjoy each others' company. It would be the same in Blu. We also find it very easy to talk to other people in some of the lounges before dinner - after awhile, you start to see familiar faces. When the bars get crowded and we're at a table for 4, we ask others if they'd like to share our table - have met some very interesting people that way.

We love Aqua Class specifically for Blu. That said, yes, there are a lot of 2-top tables. In general we often end up chatting with our neighbors and have enjoyed that. However, on our last cruise we most often ended up sitting next to a particularly unsociable couple so did not enjoy it as much. So I guess the moral of the story is that if you really want to chat it up each night, you are better off eating in the main dining room or choosing Select Dining and asking to sit at a larger table. Another option is to do your socializing at the Martini Bar before dinner which I confess we did a number of times:)

We love Aqua Class specifically for Blu. However, on our last cruise we most often ended up sitting next to a particularly unsociable couple so did not enjoy it as much. So I guess the moral of the story is that if you really want to chat it up each night, you are better off eating in the main dining room or choosing Select Dining and asking to sit at a larger table. Another option is to do your socializing at the Martini Bar before dinner which I confess we did a number of times:)

Why must someone who wants their privacy for any reason be called "unsociable". Maybe a language problem or a bad day or even just "I want to be alone."

We love a two top where the what, when, where and how of us need not be explained daily. Hello and good by suffices in many cases....

Our only experience with Blu was on M class. We are early seating traditional people and like large tables. Of course, you don't get that in Blu, but we did have chattable neighbors the first couple of nights. but then we discovered that the two tops in Blu tend to fill up early, and if we arrived a little later, about 7pm, the Maitre 'd was very happy to have someone who was willing to share one of the two available larger tables. EM

We love Aqua Class specifically for Blu. That said, yes, there are a lot of 2-top tables. In general we often end up chatting with our neighbors and have enjoyed that. However, on our last cruise we most often ended up sitting next to a particularly unsociable couple so did not enjoy it as much. So I guess the moral of the story is that if you really want to chat it up each night, you are better off eating in the main dining room or choosing Select Dining and asking to sit at a larger table. Another option is to do your socializing at the Martini Bar before dinner which I confess we did a number of times:)

There are no assigned tables in Blu and if you are seated next to an "unsociable couple" you can simply ask for a table near some more "sociable" people the next evening. My DW has a real problem hearing a conversation where there is ambient sound and she'd rather not start a conversation where she might feel embarrassed. I guess we are very unsociable at dinner and one should avoid sitting next to us so that they can enjoy their meal.

It's easy to chat between tables in Blu because they are very close together.
I agree totally! On several cruises we have met some lovely people in Blu and made plans to do other things together during the voyages.

As stated the tables are quite close together - in fact in some instances you are almost touching shoulders with the guests at adjacent tables. Even the aisles between tables are not that wide, thus facilitating chatting while dining.