solarium on Grandeur

I have been reading that the Solarium could be crowed. That there are chair hogging.

I want my wife to have a good time. one thing is to sit at a table and read. The first two days will be cold sailing out of Baltimore in January. So she would want to sit were its warm. Should I join them and save two chairs when I go down for my early morning coffee. Even through I do not like the saving of chairs. If I can't beat them, join them!

I want her to have a good time so she will want to keep cruising. she can't stand very long and takes a long time to get around. Not sure what to do.

I have been reading that the Solarium could be crowed. That there are chair hogging.

I want my wife to have a good time. one thing is to sit at a table and read. The first two days will be cold sailing out of Baltimore in January. So she would want to sit were its warm. Should I join them and save two chairs when I go down for my early morning coffee. Even through I do not like the saving of chairs. If I can't beat them, join them!

I want her to have a good time so she will want to keep cruising. she can't stand very long and takes a long time to get around. Not sure what to do.

As long as you occupy one chair and you are only saving one more I see no problem. If your not staying and nobody is there for an extended period then there's a problem [emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have sailed Grandeur several times and have rarely had any difficulty finding seating at a table in the Solarium, while all of the loungers are "occupied". I agree with Roy, the Viking Crown has much more comfortable seating than the chairs at the tables in the Solarium, so is an excellent alternative if you just want to sit, relax, read and watch the ocean, but won't be as warm.

Joanne

I have sailed Grandeur several times and have rarely had any difficulty finding seating at a table in the Solarium, while all of the loungers are "occupied". I agree with Roy, the Viking Crown has much more comfortable seating than the chairs at the tables in the Solarium, so is an excellent alternative if you just want to sit, relax, read and watch the ocean, but won't be as warm.

Joanne

It depends on the weather. I was on the Grandeur at the end February, beginning of March and it was packed in the solarium during the day. I was specifically looking for a table and I could not find a table as they were all occupied between the morning till about early afternoon. After that, it started to free up. During bad/cold weather, its more difficult than during the warmer months.

We normally do a B2B during Jan. & Feb. on the Grandeur. The chairs around the tables will start to disappear as people take them for games at several tables where they want 6-8 players. If I were you, yes get there and get your chairs before they are gone.

Like mentioned, you might want to check out the Viking Crown lounge.

I'm thinking that most of the time the Viking Crown Lounge would be a better place than the Solarium.

Roy

This. The tables in the solarium are there for Park Cafe patrons and card games, not reading.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is this strict? Enforced?

Please enjoy your cruise, if a table with chair is what your wife needs to be comfortable, use one for your purposes...there are also seating available on decks 5 and 6 as well as the Viking lounge on deck 11....if you are occupying a table and feel someone else may need it more than yourself, you could always move the chairs you are using away from the table and sit by the window overlooking the ocean...again, please enjoy your cruise :D

Centrum has very pleasant seating on several levels, and South Pacific Lounge and Schooner Bar have comfortable chairs for relaxing. A check of the daily schedule will let you know whether there will be events (bingo, trivia, art auctions) in any of those venues which would bring the crowds; otherwise they can be just the ticket.

Is this strict? Enforced?

its common courtesy. many a time I had nowhere to eat my Beef on Weck because a table was taken up by people doing nothing but reading with all sorts of stuff just spread all over the table.

Centrum has very pleasant seating on several levels, and South Pacific Lounge and Schooner Bar have comfortable chairs for relaxing. A check of the daily schedule will let you know whether there will be events (bingo, trivia, art auctions) in any of those venues which would bring the crowds; otherwise they can be just the ticket.

You are right about bingo, trivia and art auctions in them during sea days so not always quiet. We usually sit in the DL or CL, but the other option is the VCL which is pretty much always very quiet during the day. When you cruise on a longer cruise, with an older crowd, be aware that indoor seating goes very fast (especially if it's cold, windy or rainy) and most will sit there just about all day. We had a very rough sea day in March 2014 and the seating around the centrum was constantly occupied. People wanted to be where the motion was felt less.

And, OP, everyone wants to have a good time. So, please make sure you are sitting there while saving your spouse a seat. My DH does this all the time in the solarium. He heads down as soon as he gets up and I usually head down within 30 minutes or so to join him on a lounger in the shade. Our need for shade has to do with the fact that DH had melanoma 11 years ago so he has to be careful.

its common courtesy. many a time I had nowhere to eat my Beef on Weck because a table was taken up by people doing nothing but reading with all sorts of stuff just spread all over the table.

I understand. It is just some people like to swim and read between swimming. What if there are not enough loungers?

We are sailing on Christmas/NY and there is a chance it will be crowded.

I understand. It is just some people like to swim and read between swimming. What if there are not enough loungers?

We are sailing on Christmas/NY and there is a chance it will be crowded.

You will have to get there early. I always get to the Solarium around 6-6:30 in the morning and people are already saving lounges. I like the chairs by the windows for ourselves. We like reading and watching the ocean.

Enjoy your cruise. There will be chairs somewhere.

I would tend to agree with you about the tables being used for eating, but card games, not so much. JMO :)

We do spend most of the sea days at a table in the Solarium reading, doing crafts, watching the ocean, visiting with people, and eating. The reason for this is my husband has mobility issues and can get in and out of a lounger and also needs the shade due battling skin cancer and a few malignant melanoma. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

You will have to get there early. I always get to the Solarium around 6-6:30 in the morning and people are already saving lounges. I like the chairs by the windows for ourselves. We like reading and watching the ocean.

Enjoy your cruise. There will be chairs somewhere.

Thank you!

We exercise 6-7am then eat then... off to pools.

People saving loungers by 6-6:30?! I guess I'll change my routine. :)