Upsell for Single Cruisers

EDLOS

I know I have to pay a premium up to 100 percent for single occupancy and I live with it. But please tell me HAL is not adding insult to injury when they phone me with an offer of an upsell of $349 which does not sound bad UNTIL I am advised I will be charged also an additional $ 349 for the non-existent person in my cabin as well. I have declined the Upsell offering many times because of this. I also believe HAL just left $349 on the table which would have dropped right to their bottom line, times 10 single cruisers, times 100, times 1000 singles in a year ??

Let's hear it, Old Salt, Ruth C, buu, and other veteran bloggers !!

That's why I've never taken an upsell. Double premium for a room I never ordered in the first place. Way too much for a single person to absorb. It's not like we eating twice as much food or anything else like that. I book what I can afford - period.

It is unfortunate and we can feel your pain but it is what it is...on cruise ships, in many all-inclusive resorts, etc...

But rest assured that HAL is not dropping anything. The offer you turned down will be accepted by someone else, single or couple, within a few minutes or hours.

I'm not in your list of people, but I've taken 3 upsells as a solo. Each one, I paid double the per person upsell rate. Why would they offer me a single rate, when there is a good chance that couples/pairs would pay for the upsell? If couples/pairs don't buy the upsell, there may be a second round of offers at a lower price than the first offer.

I'm impressed you got a phone call. I have only ever received emails with upsell offers.

I have probably had about a dozen upsell offers and taken about 2, both several years ago. I understand that they can get double from other people but they know we are solo, so I wish they would state the actual price they will charge instead of constantly having to mentally double the price.

Roy

I'm not a solo traveler but do feel your pain. Would it not be better for a cruise line to have a single travel in a room instead of leaving it empty & not get anything for it. I'm sure that ships do sail with empty rooms, not earning revenue. It's nice to see the new Pinnacle class have rooms for singles.

Allan

I have probably had about a dozen upsell offers and taken about 2, both several years ago. I understand that they can get double from other people but they know we are solo, so I wish they would state the actual price they will charge instead of constantly having to mentally double the price.

Roy

I agree that all upsell offers should be at the amount of money required for the new cabin. Offering solo cruisers an amount that they are not eligible for is adding insult to injury.

I have just booked a hotel room, which is same price for single or double. Whilst I would love to cruise more, I'm now finding land travel better value for me as a solo traveller.

Roy

One problem with that is it may require changes to coding on HAL's end, and when they muck around with their programming code, the results are usually not very pretty ;)

I just went back and found the last upsell email I got as a solo, and this phrase is included "*Fares are per person based on double occupancy, singles are 200% of double" ... for me, that is enough warning. Though I agree, I'd prefer to know how much $$$ they want without having to do the math.

I'm not a solo traveler but do feel your pain. Would it not be better for a cruise line to have a single travel in a room instead of leaving it empty & not get anything for it. I'm sure that ships do sail with empty rooms, not earning revenue. It's nice to see the new Pinnacle class have rooms for singles.

Allan

The idea of single cabins was good but have you Investigagted THEM? tHEY SITNK, LOCITiON IS TERRIBLE , , NONE HAVE VERANDAH AND THEY ARE NO BARGAIN PRICE tHEY DID nothing partricularly attractive for solo cruisers with those casbins, IMO> They had lousy space they had to do something with so they played magnaminous and bragged they created solo cabins. they can't use that space for much of anything IMO They are far forward in the bow. It will be an awful ride in them and no bargain .

I have just booked a hotel room, which is same price for single or double. Whilst I would love to cruise more, I'm now finding land travel better value for me as a solo traveller.
When you book a hotel room the hotel wishes to receive the same amount whether occupied by one or two . Cruise lines want the same thing . Special cabins designed for one are the exception just like a hotel room for a single might be .

I understand how you feel.

It is a rip off price for an upsell since you only are eating for one person, paying for excursions for 1 person, etc.

It is not like they are taking that extra money and giving it to the crew to split among themselves.

You ignore the fact that, while you might be only eating for one person - which does not cost the line much- you are also only drinking for one person: which is a major potential income stream for the line.

Also, you are taking up space which two people could occupy, thereby depriving the line of sales opportunities.

Why, if you are able to understand about paying a single occupancy supplement for your originally booked cabin, have you a question about the line charging a comparable single occupancy supplement for the upgraded cabin they offer you?

The bottom line is quite straightforward. Why would the cruise line sell an upgrade to you for, say $300. when they could get 2 X $300. from another customer who has two people in the cabin?

This is supply and demand. Lots of demand for these upsells because of the attractive pricing.

Cannot blame HAL. If it was my business I would do the same.

When you book a hotel room the hotel wishes to receive the same amount whether occupied by one or two . Cruise lines want the same thing . Special cabins designed for one are the exception just like a hotel room for a single might be .

I don't disagree. My argument was that cruise lines should offer upsell at $700 per cabin ($350 x 2 for double) on example given. I would be annoyed to be offered an upsell at $350, to discover the offer was really $700 per cabin (for single or double), e.g. same amount for double or single.

I don't disagree. My argument was that cruise lines should offer upsell at $700 per cabin ($350 x 2 for double) on example given. I would be annoyed to be offered an upsell at $350, to discover the offer was really $700 per cabin (for single or double), e.g. same amount for double or single.

My upsells have always been offered in the actual price for a solo.

Would it not be better for a cruise line to have a single travel in a room instead of leaving it empty & not get anything for it. It's nice to see the new Pinnacle class have rooms for singles.

Allan

I am looking at Koingdam and was amused that the solo cabins (Ocean view) were more expensive that the interior. The interior is also not going at the full 200% (IE full double occupancy) but somewhere around 150%

They should offer you the upgrade at the 150% price, not the 200%