No One Makes You Cruise on Celebrity, So Why Flame People Who Comment About Their Own Experiences?

Lastdance

By all means challenge an opinion...

That's the heart of the issue IMO, far too many people challenging the opinions of others. Acknowledging their point of view and providing your own personal opinion provides readers with a broader perspective without creating any friction.

I agree. Only after nini cruises Celebrity again and forms their own opinion will they know if they made a good choice. Nobody else's opinion should matter because you don't know if those values and judgements match your own.

This x1000!

I always tease my wife because invariably at a new restaurant she'll ask the waiter/waitress "What's your favorite thing on the menu?" Then when she follows the suggestion, half the time she'll say "It was OK but I don't know what the big deal was with that" or "Well, I'll never order THAT again." And I end up pointing out that when you ask that question, you have no idea whether that waiter/waitress has the same taste as you.

Don't second guess yourself or be overly influenced by opinions of others. Just remember that whenever reading any customer reviews you will find both the lovers and the haters. Negative reviews of any product tend to be the most vocal, and lovers of the line tend to be happy, but post less. The vast majority of folks don't post at all. It sounds like you made your choice carefully. Just board the ship with the frame of mind that you are embarking on a wonderful vacation holiday and enjoy yourself! Take both the positive and negative reviews with a Pina Colada! Celebrity has a very successful reputation and MANY repeat passengers for reason. You will find things you like more and like less depending on your personal tastes, but in my experience the worst cruise we ever had was better than any day at work by a mile! Enjoy your vacation!

Bang on , bravo!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

A big Thank You! in response to my previous post of doubt and questioning! So very true; I have read reviews of ships we have been on and wonder if we were really on the same ship! Have loved our Celebrity and Princess ships (not so much the HAL, but still had a great time).

BTW- the Celebrity ship we were on was the Galaxy- no longer with the fleet.

THX!

There are multiple ships, numerous itineraries, crews that frequently change, chefs and servers that are reassigned.... then when you add in the weather, possible world events, and a unique set of passengers... how likely is your personal experience going to be the same as anyone else?

It's unlikely. Sure, there are similarities. Policies are generally the same. Corporate culture is generally the same and has an impact. But the unique instances that complainers complain about on Celebrity are usually anomalies and not indicative of a broad-based problem. Especially the particularly cynical people who claim everything they don't like is some sort of conspiracy to cheat the customer.

You will have a great time. If there is a problem that really bothers you, say something and it will be fixed if at all possible. Then move on. Don't let anyone's post here pee on your vacation.

This x1000!

I always tease my wife because invariably at a new restaurant she'll ask the waiter/waitress "What's your favorite thing on the menu?" Then when she follows the suggestion, half the time she'll say "It was OK but I don't know what the big deal was with that" or "Well, I'll never order THAT again." And I end up pointing out that when you ask that question, you have no idea whether that waiter/waitress has the same taste as you.

Husky, I know how that works. Feel the same.

However, I feel less wake if I don't tease.

Don't second guess yourself or be overly influenced by opinions of others. Just remember that whenever reading any customer reviews you will find both the lovers and the haters. Negative reviews of any product tend to be the most vocal, and lovers of the line tend to be happy, but post less. The vast majority of folks don't post at all. It sounds like you made your choice carefully. Just board the ship with the frame of mind that you are embarking on a wonderful vacation holiday and enjoy yourself! Take both the positive and negative reviews with a Pina Colada! Celebrity has a very successful reputation and MANY repeat passengers for reason. You will find things you like more and like less depending on your personal tastes, but in my experience the worst cruise we ever had was better than any day at work by a mile! Enjoy your vacation!

Fantastic advice....

the worst cruise we ever had was better than any day at work by a mile!

Just love that one!!

You say "challenge an opinion but refrain from personal attacks" and then proceed to use the words "Tipping Police", "Dress Code Militia" and "Captain's Club Elitists" all in one post after bringing up the controversial topics yourself. :confused:

personal ??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please allow posters to comment on questions about Celebrity without being flamed. If you disagree, do it constructively. CC is a good site for information! It is not a nice experience to be flamed and serves no purpose for the OP or anyone else. Anyone else agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's called respect. Completely agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow... I just booked a Celebrity cruise today and now I am questioning the "quality" of my decision after days of research and deciding which itinerary and cruise line- with prices also a consideration. We cruised Celebrity once before (2001) and after that Princess (4x) and HAL once. Did not like HAL for various reasons. :o

:D I was the same as you. I had joined CC but never ventured over to the Celebrity board until I had booked a last minute cruise on X. It those days they had really big and nasty fights about Formalwear, tipping and on and on and on. I thought; "What the **** did I get myself into?:eek: Mrs. Dawg is going to kill me if any of these nasty, so-and-so, Celebrity CC'ers are on our cruise!" Long story short we had a great time on the cruise, met really nice older people ;) and Celebrity right away became our favorite cruise line.

CC is just entertainment (mindless at times) sprinkled with some good information. Think of yourself as a gold miner when you are on here. You have to dig through tonnes of waste rock before you find those few nuggets of gold! :D

I have cruised with celebrity 4 times past 2 years. From the first cruise to the last their has been a noticeable drop in standards. Not pricing though just in services etc. A worrying trend is things like in Norway..... celebrity booked entire Flam sceninic train in advance..... then tripled ticket price for it's shore excursions. 48 hours prior to arriving did they and only then Celebrity released the unsold train tickets for the general public. I think corporate behaviour like that is very close to the line if being illegal.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

I would agree that civility should be the norm. However, I don't have a problem with being critical of one poster's facts or opinion, if I disagree, in a respectful manner.

This is especially true regarding the food on cruise ships. It is not unusual for the same cruise to spawn reviews that give dining five stars and praise the dining, while others with one star and the food in inedible.

I would agree that civility should be the norm. However, I don't have a problem with being critical of one poster's facts or opinion, if I disagree, in a respectful manner.

This is especially true regarding the food on cruise ships. It is not unusual for the same cruise to spawn reviews that give dining five stars and praise the dining, while others with one star and the food in inedible.

I had exactly that experience one evening.

I ordered filet mignon (this was years ago!!!) and it was very good. The woman at the table next to me, asked how it was. She ordered the same and it was awful.. I am sure that if I had received hers, I, too, would have thought it was awful. In a mdr of so many people, consistency is not a given.

After reading through this thread, I'd like to point out things that are misinformation IMO:

Those who don't post here aren't all happy. Some move on quietly. Some don't want to deal with the flaming from those who disagree with them. Some have no idea that CC even exists.

CC is a good cross section of cruisers. Those who have complaints don't post more than those who are happy. In fact, in my experience single negative posts are met by several positive or 'flaming' posts.

Both positive and negative posts, and everything in between, are valid. Ignoring either side of any disagreement or belittling it doesn't help anyone.

After reading through this thread, I'd like to point out things that are misinformation IMO:

Those who don't post here aren't all happy. Some move on quietly. Some don't want to deal with the flaming from those who disagree with them. Some have no idea that CC even exists.

CC is a good cross section of cruisers. Those who have complaints don't post more than those who are happy. In fact, in my experience single negative posts are met by several positive or 'flaming' posts.

Both positive and negative posts, and everything in between, are valid. Ignoring either side of any disagreement or belittling it doesn't help anyone.

What makes you think that posters are a god cross-section of cruisers.

I absolutely do not agree. in fact, statistically, anonymous online posters almost never representative of any company's actual customer base.

What makes you think that posters are a god cross-section of cruisers.

I absolutely do not agree. in fact, statistically, anonymous online posters almost never representative of any company's actual customer base.

What makes you think that everyone who isn't posting agrees with your, or any specific, point of view?

How could anyone create statistics that say anything about anonymous posters?

What makes you think that everyone who isn't posting agrees with your, or any specific, point of view?

How could anyone create statistics that say anything about anonymous posters?

Companies do this type of statistical analysis all of the time. I know because I have assisted in multiple capacities. You claimed that CC is a good cross-section of cruisers in general. That's simply incorrect. Anonymous forums tend to attract specific personality types and polarized opinions, with occasional drop-ins by those that just want a a specific question answered. Further, about 60% of those that are vigorous or passionate complainers will be unlikely to complain when personally involved or when they have to identify themselves. In short, here you will mostly find a very vocal minority.

Companies do this type of statistical analysis all of the time. I know because I have assisted in multiple capacities. You claimed that CC is a good cross-section of cruisers in general. That's simply incorrect. Anonymous forums tend to attract specific personality types and polarized opinions, with occasional drop-ins by those that just want a a specific question answered. Further, about 60% of those that are vigorous or passionate complainers will be unlikely to complain when personally involved or when they have to identify themselves. In short, here you will mostly find a very vocal minority.

CC is a place to talk about cruising in general. This forum is talking about cruising with Celebrity. Although the users are anonymous, they are most likely Celebrity customers, former or maybe future Celebrity customers. Why would anyone else even be here?

You claim that 60% of anonymous users are 'passionate complainers' . That is certainly not my experience around here. In fact, I see more 'passionate cheerleaders'. Folks who are unlikely to complain in person are folks who would move on to another company rather than complain. That doesn't make their complaints any less real, and it certainly doesn't make them 'passionate complainers'. If anything, it makes them non-complainers. One would think that cruise companies would love to read what anonymous cruisers are really thinking.

Can you provide a link to a scientific study that you are getting your stats from? I'd like to read it.

These are not published results. It's generally considered proprietary information. In my previous career I was an executive for a national ISP that also created one of the first public bulletin boards. One of the things that we researched constantly was how close the anonymous posters on the boards were representative of our customer base (which was well over 1MM). Conclusions were based on an array of data points which were from focus groups, polling, customer service feedback and third party information (which were from studies done by market analysts).

We also compared the results we had arrived at to other similarly situated service industries that had also launched anonymous boards. The results were remarkably consistent.

You'll just have to take my word for it. If not...well, then believe what you want. Although I think you would be hard pressed to defend any statement that people who post on CC are proportionately representative of all cruisers. Further, the proof is in the pudding. If they were, then Celebrity and other cruise lines would far more responsive to posts here.

Further, the proof is in the pudding. If they were, then Celebrity and other cruise lines would far more responsive to posts here.

I've been trying really hard not to interject into this. However have you visited the Azamara board? Bonnie, the official Azamara paid blogger, blows your theory out of the water. Azamara is extremely responsive to their customer's concerns and problems on an almost DAILY basis. They care.

That's totally unlike the current Celebrity Cruises person/s who now only copy and pastes things from their web site because they're probably not allowed to take a position or really help.

:D I was the same as you. I had joined CC but never ventured over to the Celebrity board until I had booked a last minute cruise on X. It those days they had really big and nasty fights about Formalwear, tipping and on and on and on. I thought; "What the **** did I get myself into?:eek: Mrs. Dawg is going to kill me if any of these nasty, so-and-so, Celebrity CC'ers are on our cruise!" Long story short we had a great time on the cruise, met really nice older people ;) and Celebrity right away became our favorite cruise line.

CC is just entertainment (mindless at times) sprinkled with some good information. Think of yourself as a gold miner when you are on here. You have to dig through tonnes of waste rock before you find those few nuggets of gold! :D

Like!

I've been trying really hard not to interject into this. However have you visited the Azamara board? Bonnie, the official Azamara paid blogger, blows your theory out of the water. Azamara is extremely responsive to their customer's concerns and problems on an almost DAILY basis. They care.

That's totally unlike the current Celebrity Cruises person/s who now only copy and pastes things from their web site because they're probably not allowed to take a position or really help.

Sigh. I don't mean that they respond on the boards, I mean that they respond by changing policy and pricing etc based on what is posted here. That doesn't really happen because the posters here are not proportionately representative of their entire customer base. I'm sorry this is so difficult to understand or accept. However, I'm really not in the business of trying to convince you. Accept is or not, as you see fit.