No One Makes You Cruise on Celebrity, So Why Flame People Who Comment About Their Own Experiences?

Lastdance

There we go. I publish a FACT without any opinion and then someone rants because they "really know " the reasons for removing auto-grats. QED.

Best not voice any facts on the Boat - I Could be subject of a plebiscite at the Dinner Table. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But didn't the poster post facts that he/she has read on here and their opinion as to the matter you brought up. Call me confused, but isn't that what a forum is for....to have discussions on different topics and how we feel about those topics. Or should this forum just end up as folks posting facts and no one responding?

If we would only post facts, here are mine: I've been cruising Celebrity since the early 80's and I still find value with Celebrity and none of the changes/cutbacks have affect me, where I would see them as an issue. So, no one should ever try to debate this with me or tell me I'm wrong.

Edited by NLH Arizona

But didn't the poster post facts that he/she has read on here and their opinion as to the matter you brought up. Call me confused, but isn't that what a forum is for....to have discussions on different topics and how we feel about those topics. Or should this forum just end up as folks posting facts and no one responding?

If we would only post facts, here are mine: I've been cruising Celebrity since the early 80's and I still find value with Celebrity and none of the changes/cutbacks have affect me, where I would see them as an issue. So, no one should ever try to debate this with me or tell me I'm wrong.

Facts and opinions are both what Cruise Critic is about!

It would be a dull old site without opinions....The problem arises when the occasional poster thinks THEY are the only one with a RIGHT to an opinion!

I do generally agree with your Comments on Celebrity....I can see some changes that have taken place but non have them have seriously changed my cruising pleasure. I can also think of a few changes I think would greatly improve the experience and enjoy CC as a forum to discuss topics of interest.

Not being combative but don't you sail in suites? Or am I mistaken?

So I suppose my perceiving posters debating on what is a fact vs. opinion being akin to reading comprehension lessons my kids got in 3rd grade is a type of flaming the posters who in my view are highlighting the obvious as if it were words of enlightment and insight only afforded by those with a doctorate in philosophy? ;) Just passively aggressively kidding...

And btw - i'm not politically correct. I saw a guy remove all the auto gratuities on day 1 of the cruise I was just on and I was really appalled and totally judgmental. No way he could've decided if the service was bad yet. It was a cultural decision as he said to his wife while walking away that they could now go to the excursions desk across the way and book something or other they wanted to do.

I was a waitress for years in college and this particular culture gave me $5 on average for $100+ checks and they got great service to the best of my ability. Some stereotypes are stereotypes because they are very real in many cases...

I don't think I've seen anyone on a vacation work harder than my celebrity stateroom attendant who made sure everything was perfect for my family and was so pleasant and professional. I didn't think twice about giving him an extra $100 per stateroom we booked. It's a choice, for sure, but thinking about someone taking away his auto gratuity is ridiculously wrong. I hope vacationers never have family or friends who bust themselves for that extra $13.50 a day be treated so poorly by people willing/able to pay thousands for a fun time.

Not being combative but don't you sail in suites? Or am I mistaken?
You are mistaken. On Celebrity I cruise in Concierge Class and I can't tell you the number of times those that sail in Concierge Class are told it is not worth it. However, I feel everyone can have their opinion and when asked, I post why I cruise in Concierge Class and that is for the location of the cabin.

Facts and opinions are both what Cruise Critic is about!

It would be a dull old site without opinions....The problem arises when the occasional poster thinks THEY are the only one with a RIGHT to an opinion!

I do generally agree with your Comments on Celebrity....I can see some changes that have taken place but non have them have seriously changed my cruising pleasure. I can also think of a few changes I think would greatly improve the experience and enjoy CC as a forum to discuss topics of interest.

The issue is confusion between facts and opinions. Many post 'facts' that are often opinions. My post stated a simple fact about Celebrity policy - not whether I agreed with it or not. But still the 'tipping police ' come out 'all guns blazing' (metaphorically speaking)

If I was to post that , in my view, tipping is simply a combination of tax evasion and attempted bribery then others would be at liberty to express differing or similar opinions . It should not really descend into personal attacks but I would wager it will.

I opine that the real issue is the lack of debate on the forum. If one criticises somethings that is fine but other subjects appear taboo - tipping, dress codes and a certain Cruise Director to name just 3.

By all means challenge an opinion but please refrain from the personal attacks , not to mention the rather bizarre proclamation as to one's ability to read the minds of people who exercise their right to remove the infamous 'Auto-Grats'

The people who come on this forum trying to get a feel for Celebrity must be horrified. If it isnt the tipping police and the dress-code militia it is the Captains Club elitist sorts who look down their noses simply because they have been on a few boat trips with Celebrity.

Of course once on board they will realise that most people are fine, the Staff generally range between great and fantastic and the facilities on the boat are superb. We have been on the same 14 day cruise for a while now and our group were chatting as to whether Cel X standards are slipping. We concluded ( just an opinion - of a group of 16 multi-nationals) that our familiarity is possibly giving that impression. Whilst we all thought Tuscan has become very poor we all thought that Murano was even better.

Oh and newbies dont worry about not being Elite. It certainly does not mean these people are elite persons- they just get some socks washed foc , a few drinks vouchers (which are a bit like a chocolate fireguard as most have drinks package) and a discount on the rather poor internet. Oh and this year my socks went AWOL for a week [emoji47]

You are mistaken. On Celebrity I cruise in Concierge Class and I can't tell you the number of times those that sail in Concierge Class are told it is not worth it. However, I feel everyone can have their opinion and when asked, I post why I cruise in Concierge Class and that is for the location of the cabin.

Well then that's even better that you like Celebrity without getting the very special perks of suite life.

If somebody states an opinion such as "we think the food in the buffet sucks", there is no reason to call them whiners or that their standards or too high or anything negative. If you want to comment, just say we think the food in the buffet is great and leave it at that. Everybody has the right to form their own opinion and also the right to voice it without being called names such as a whiner or a cheerleader.

If somebody states an opinion such as "we think the food in the buffet sucks", there is no reason to call them whiners or that their standards or too high or anything negative. If you want to comment, just say we think the food in the buffet is great and leave it at that. Everybody has the right to form their own opinion and also the right to voice it without being called names such as a whiner or a cheerleader.
Like!

So I suppose my perceiving posters debating on what is a fact vs. opinion being akin to reading comprehension lessons my kids got in 3rd grade is a type of flaming the posters who in my view are highlighting the obvious as if it were words of enlightment and insight only afforded by those with a doctorate in philosophy? ;) Just passively aggressively kidding...

Ok, I dare you to speak that sentence without taking a btrath! Lol:p Reminds me os Professor Irwin Corey! Lol

Seriously, I think that a lot of the nastiness here stems from HOW something is said(written) that WHAT.

IMHO: The purpose of Cruise Critic to to provide information that serves to enhance the cruise experience for members of the cruising community. Information may be positive or negative. In most cases the information is based solely on personal experience and reflects the posters preferences. I believe we get into trouble when we attack the motives of other rather than trying to understand the information that is presented. I know that I've been subjected to that by a relatively few posters. There are some people I just ignore. I've been on quite a few cruises on many different lines and from my experience every cruise is a different experience and it is very difficult to generalize from one cruise to another. As long as I've been cruising I still learn new things from posters and I appreciate that.

The issue is confusion between facts and opinions. Many post 'facts' that are often opinions. My post stated a simple fact about Celebrity policy - not whether I agreed with it or not. But still the 'tipping police ' come out 'all guns blazing' (metaphorically speaking)

If I was to post that , in my view, tipping is simply a combination of tax evasion and attempted bribery then others would be at liberty to express differing or similar opinions . It should not really descend into personal attacks but I would wager it will.

I opine that the real issue is the lack of debate on the forum. If one criticises somethings that is fine but other subjects appear taboo - tipping, dress codes and a certain Cruise Director to name just 3.

By all means challenge an opinion but please refrain from the personal attacks , not to mention the rather bizarre proclamation as to one's ability to read the minds of people who exercise their right to remove the infamous 'Auto-Grats'

The people who come on this forum trying to get a feel for Celebrity must be horrified. If it isnt the tipping police and the dress-code militia it is the Captains Club elitist sorts who look down their noses simply because they have been on a few boat trips with Celebrity.

Of course once on board they will realise that most people are fine, the Staff generally range between great and fantastic and the facilities on the boat are superb. We have been on the same 14 day cruise for a while now and our group were chatting as to whether Cel X standards are slipping. We concluded ( just an opinion - of a group of 16 multi-nationals) that our familiarity is possibly giving that impression. Whilst we all thought Tuscan has become very poor we all thought that Murano was even better.

Oh and newbies dont worry about not being Elite. It certainly does not mean these people are elite persons- they just get some socks washed foc , a few drinks vouchers (which are a bit like a chocolate fireguard as most have drinks package) and a discount on the rather poor internet. Oh and this year my socks went AWOL for a week [emoji47]

You say "challenge an opinion but refrain from personal attacks" and then proceed to use the words "Tipping Police", "Dress Code Militia" and "Captain's Club Elitists" all in one post after bringing up the controversial topics yourself. :confused:

Edited by Ma Bell

I would politely disagree, Orator. I can't hand a company thousands for a week experience without evaluating if I will enjoy. I like that cruise critic lets me get a sense of whether the spend and time commitment is worth it! Then again, I'm a notorious control freak who thrives on info in websites such as these.

Ok, I dare you to speak that sentence without taking a btrath! Lol:p Reminds me os Professor Irwin Corey! Lol

Seriously, I think that a lot of the nastiness here stems from HOW something is said(written) that WHAT.

Agree, also people reading things into statements that are not there.

Agree, also people reading things into statements that are not there.

Absolutely. I find the perception of being flamed is actually larger than the actual flaming.

Many people think they're being flamed when someone doesn't agree with their post.

Wow... I just booked a Celebrity cruise today and now I am questioning the "quality" of my decision after days of research and deciding which itinerary and cruise line- with prices also a consideration. We cruised Celebrity once before (2001) and after that Princess (4x) and HAL once. Did not like HAL for various reasons. :o

Nini,

I always find most passengers are just pleased to be on the ship. If you are unlucky enough to come across a 'moaner' then avoid them in the future. The ship is large enough to never see them again. We were still meeting people for the first time on our last day.

The only people we came across again and again on our most recent cruise were our 6 table companions, but we rarely saw them apart from dinner time.

BTW, we have now opted to go back to Celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by upwarduk

Upwarduk-

Thanks for the positive thoughts. May I ask, what line are you returning from and why?

Celebrity is our favourite cruise line and we have Elite perks. We have also found a cruise which sails from Southampton, which makes packing easier as no flight is involved.

Our most recent cruise was on Princess and because we were only Ruby ( via P&O) we didn't get any worth while perks.

It really doesn't do any good to rant and rave about stuff you didn't like on Cruise Critic. You need to deal with it while you're on the ship. If you have a substantive complaint, my experience has been that they will deal with it. I walked into my sky suite a few cruises ago and found some sort of hoist thing blocking my view from my balcony. Really? An obstructed view from a sky suite? I simply sat down and wrote a letter to the hotel director stating that I objected to paying full price for an obstructed view cabin and that I believed Celebrity ought to disclose the fact that the cabin had an obstructed view and price it accordingly. I received a very substantial credit for my next Celebrity cruise.

Are you talking about the window washing equipment?

Wow... I just booked a Celebrity cruise today and now I am questioning the "quality" of my decision after days of research and deciding which itinerary and cruise line- with prices also a consideration. We cruised Celebrity once before (2001) and after that Princess (4x) and HAL once. Did not like HAL for various reasons. :o

IMHO, which I sometimes say, won't get you a cup of joe in the buffet 😆 Within a few moments of stepping on ship you will already use your opening a few times, WOW! Then wonder why you had not considered Celebrity sooner.

Yes, you will find yourself doing the 'comparison ' to your past cruise experiences. Some will be, hummmmm, this is just like the other lines. Some will be, ok, this is not quite the same, but not bad. And there will be a few where you say, WOW! This is not at all like I read on CC it was going to be.

After cruising with 7 different lines since 1987, we find that Celebrity's on ship experience takes care of more of the things we like than the others.

EW

Don't second guess yourself or be overly influenced by opinions of others. Just remember that whenever reading any customer reviews you will find both the lovers and the haters. Negative reviews of any product tend to be the most vocal, and lovers of the line tend to be happy, but post less. The vast majority of folks don't post at all. It sounds like you made your choice carefully. Just board the ship with the frame of mind that you are embarking on a wonderful vacation holiday and enjoy yourself! Take both the positive and negative reviews with a Pina Colada! Celebrity has a very successful reputation and MANY repeat passengers for reason. You will find things you like more and like less depending on your personal tastes, but in my experience the worst cruise we ever had was better than any day at work by a mile! Enjoy your vacation!

Don't second guess yourself or be overly influenced by opinions of others. Just remember that whenever reading any customer reviews you will find both the lovers and the haters. Negative reviews of any product tend to be the most vocal, and lovers of the line tend to be happy, but post less. The vast majority of folks don't post at all. It sounds like you made your choice carefully. Just board the ship with the frame of mind that you are embarking on a wonderful vacation holiday and enjoy yourself! Take both the positive and negative reviews with a Pina Colada! Celebrity has a very successful reputation and MANY repeat passengers for reason. You will find things you like more and like less depending on your personal tastes, but in my experience the worst cruise we ever had was better than any day at work by a mile! Enjoy your vacation!

I agree. Only after nini cruises Celebrity again and forms their own opinion will they know if they made a good choice. Nobody else's opinion should matter because you don't know if those values and judgements match your own.