holland america formal nights

czech

I don't get it. What's the big deal?

some like to dress up and some prefer not to?

who cares as long as you are following the guidelines???

I haven't noticed anyone "pushing" any formal garb.

People can do as they wish on board. It's all about choices ;)

I don't get it.

Why over analyze why someone wants casual and another wants to dress up? It does not matter.....the choice is personal.

Differences are what make the world go round. What is good is that we have a choice. What the naysayers on either side say does not matter. Just choose and be happy with your choice.

I don't get it.

Why over analyze why someone wants casual and another wants to dress up? It does not matter.....the choice is personal.

Differences are what make the world go round. What is good is that we have a choice. What the naysayers on either side say does not matter. Just choose and be happy with your choice.

My sentiments exactly. Thank you. I get a kick out of all the psychoanalysis of the issue. Bottom line is it is a personal choice. Dress how you like. What does it matter what anyone else is doing as long as the guidelines are being followed?

Those on these boards who would like to see formal dress codes enforced are not facing reality. They are allowed to dress as formally as they choose, but they are not allowed to dictate what others wear.

Whilst I do not agree with your take on HAL's HSC, as you have argued on the "gratuities" thread, I do respect your right to put your case!

When I read the above from your post it made me smile, because I imagined you writing similar on the other thread i.e. along the lines of:

Those on the boards who would like to see the HSC enforced are not facing reality. They are allowed to tip in whatever manner they choose, but they are not allowed to dictate how others do so!

I, for one, am glad to see you have returned to the "gratuities" thread as all points of view are healthy. We do not have to agree, but disagree respectfully....and some do not understand how to be respectful.

People assume too much about the reasons behind other folks' decisions.

Live and let live. Why does it matter? Why not simply get on with enjoying yourself and stop bothering about other people who you do not even know?

People assume too much about the reasons behind other folks' decisions.

Live and let live. Why does it matter? Why not simply get on with enjoying yourself and stop bothering about other people who you do not even know?

I find a lot of irony in your remarks. ;)

Correct!! The cruise line management people realize that they can increase their market share by making their product appealing to more of the public.

If HAL still had a strict dress code it would not even be on my radar. So, yes, they have made the product more appealing.

Does Cunard even have a buffet (no dress up) option? would love to book a "out of season" transAtlantic (before or after a repositioning TA cruise) someday, but mandatory formal dress would be a dealbreaker.

Based on my one Cunard TA I'd say it's probably going to be your deal breaker. Confirm on the Cunard boards though, or directly with Cunard.

That is a neat idea, a repositioning on HAL or another line followed by a QM2 TA. Too much vacation time for me unfortunately, and getting to Southampton from (probably) the continent would be a deterrent for me.

The QM2 would be well worth the "effort" of packing a sport coat and tie, and an evening dress.

I know it just isn't your style, but for me, the formal night is a way of symbolically saying that, for this short time when I'm part of a small community of passengers on a ship, i can bend to some standards or traditions.

Based on my one Cunard TA I'd say it's probably going to be your deal breaker. Confirm on the Cunard boards though, or directly with Cunard... The QM2 would be well worth the "effort" of packing a sport coat and tie, and an evening dress... I know it just isn't your style,

Oh, I have a LOT of dressy clothes and dr'spin has a tux and myriad accessories himself. We just like to travel light! Well, the day may come where we check one (carry-on sized) bag just with the formal gear and do the bucket list thing!

The total time on board is probably do-able, but the whole point of the no-flight trip to Europe is to show my sister some highlights of that continent, so we'd be talking something in excess of a month minimum. A period also in the (retirement) future for us as well.

PS I didn't come up with the idea myself but thanks to assorted suggestions on CC. I often read posts/threads not currently pertinent to my situation!

Oh, I have a LOT of dressy clothes and dr'spin has a tux and myriad accessories himself. We just like to travel light! Well, the day may come where we check one (carry-on sized) bag just with the formal gear and do the bucket list thing!

The total time on board is probably do-able, but the whole point of the no-flight trip to Europe is to show my sister some highlights of that continent, so we'd be talking something in excess of a month minimum. A period also in the (retirement) future for us as well.

PS I didn't come up with the idea myself but thanks to assorted suggestions on CC. I often read posts/threads not currently pertinent to my situation!

Please excuse me regarding the "isn't your style" (I knew from your earlier post that you do have the formal clothing).

Perhaps when the QM2 crossing works for you, you can minimize the formal items so as to still travel light. We did, knowing that I'd be carrying/rolling luggage along sidewalks in London. The weight of the clothing was fairly insignificant (as was the expense of it, I'll mention for some relevance to parts this thread).

• 1 year later...

As time marches on, preferences change from one generation to the next, as well they do as we age.  Many of the changes that have occurred in my six decades on this little blue marble have been positive.  Others, well, less than ideal in my humble opinion.  One not so appealing change, to me, is that we (Americans) have become much more casual in our relationships, in our speech, and certainly in our dress since I was a lad. I can't help but attribute some of that to people simply being more self-absorbed and lazy.  

To be certain, some dress to the nines simply to show off.  I'd wager most, myself included, remember formal nights on HAL with fondness because we enjoy a special evening out with our significant others looking resplendent. I fall into the group who happily wore a suit to work for 25 years. I didn't mind it then and, even in retirement, still wear one for evenings out, and to mass, and my tuxedo comes out a few times a year for certain parties and events. I also believe in wearing clothes appropriate for the occasion as a show of respect. I wouldn't wear cargo shorts, ever, but certainly wouldn't wear them to a wedding or a black tie event.  

To answer the original question of do you need a suit or a tuxedo to get through a cruise (or life)?  No, absolutely not, but it sure makes the journey a little more visually appealing when we put in a wee bit of effort.   

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:29 PM, crystalspin said:

Does Cunard even have a buffet (no dress up) option? would love to book a "out of season" transAtlantic (before or after a repositioning TA cruise) someday, but mandatory formal dress would be a dealbreaker.

Cunard does have a casual buffet as an option, but if not dressed according to the evening's dress code, there are very few other venues one can enter.  No theater, most lounges and bars, etc.

On 7/16/2017 at 4:29 PM, crystalspin said:

We’d love to do a crossing on Cunard as well, but the strict dress code is a concern for us too. Not just the formal dressing for dinner, that’s one thing, but the prohibition on being anywhere public on the ship (except the buffet) in the evening unless “properly” dressed is quite another. We have friends who just returned from their first cruise on Cunard and found that particular aspect of the dress code to be very restrictive. 

12 hours ago, akav8er said:

As time marches on, preferences change from one generation to the next, as well they do as we age.  Many of the changes that have occurred in my six decades on this little blue marble have been positive.  Others, well, less than ideal in my humble opinion.  One not so appealing change, to me, is that we (Americans) have become much more casual in our relationships, in our speech, and certainly in our dress since I was a lad. I can't help but attribute some of that to people simply being more self-absorbed and lazy.  

To be certain, some dress to the nines simply to show off.  I'd wager most, myself included, remember formal nights on HAL with fondness because we enjoy a special evening out with our significant others looking resplendent. I fall into the group who happily wore a suit to work for 25 years. I didn't mind it then and, even in retirement, still wear one for evenings out, and to mass, and my tuxedo comes out a few times a year for certain parties and events. I also believe in wearing clothes appropriate for the occasion as a show of respect. I wouldn't wear cargo shorts, ever, but certainly wouldn't wear them to a wedding or a black tie event.  

To answer the original question of do you need a suit or a tuxedo to get through a cruise (or life)?  No, absolutely not, but it sure makes the journey a little more visually appealing when we put in a wee bit of effort.   

Very nice post, IMHO.

Speaking only for myself, I've given up on expecting people to be polite or well-dressed.  Now it's just a delightful surprise when they are, and I get on with life more happily.

• Like 1

I am "middle aged" with teenagers.    I'm not one of the "older" group set in my ways and holding on to the past-- and I'm not one of those "young" ones without any appreciation for manners and proper home training.   ;-0

There has always been a threat about "formal nights," for as long as I can remember.    We have to remember those who start the threads are really looking for practical advice and direction.     They simply want to know what to expect and how to pack.

My reply:

There are no formal nights anymore like in the movies and on The Love Boat.      You will see people wearing everything.     For the most part, I would personally avoid shorts and flip flops (however you might see a few) in the main dining room.     For the evening meals:   guys wear Docker type pants and shirts (both polo and button up).   On the "Gala" nights, more than a few will wear a sport jacket (a few suits and maybe a tux will still be scattered in but they are becoming less and less).    Most women will wear what they would normally wear to a restaurant like Cheesecake Factory or Maggiano's (some woman will be more dressy than others and some will be more "cute."   Note:  I'm talking style not making a snide remark.).   On the "Gala" nights, you'll probably see more dresses scattered in and even a few of the tops may have a hint of bling (but very few will wear long formal wear or even wedding clothing).       Cocktail party attire (business) is as dressy as it gets now, and while you'll still see some of that, even that is in the minority.

Because of parking constraints, most will wear sneakers each day and a second pair of  non-sneakers to wear each night.    But yes, you will see some in sneakers in the dining room.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, akav8er said:

It's good of you to answer, but the question was asked a year and a half ago and I doubt that the OP is still looking for input.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

It's good of you to answer, but the question was asked a year and a half ago and I doubt that the OP is still looking for input.

Tis true, it is an old discussion. This seems to be a subject those new to cruising are always concerned about. Although I did somewhat addresses the original author, I thought perhaps future readers might benefit as well. At least the last paragraph; the first two are purely the personal commentary of an old dog who doesn't believe all new tricks are worth getting off the porch for. 

Edited by akav8er

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We’d love to do a crossing on Cunard as well, but the strict dress code is a concern for us too. Not just the formal dressing for dinner, that’s one thing, but the prohibition on being anywhere public on the ship (except the buffet) in the evening unless “properly” dressed is quite another. We have friends who just returned from their first cruise on Cunard and found that particular aspect of the dress code to be very restrictive. 

Ask on the Cunard forum if all crossings have the same dress code.  I seem to recall that some are designated as less formal, perhaps due to some theme.

On 12/27/2018 at 3:03 PM, Swice said:

There has always been a threat about "formal nights," for as long as I can remember. 

More or less. I'm sure that there was a time, before I arrived here, that it wasn't a significant topic, but it became one. However, even the threads changed over time. I think Anytime Dining has had the most impact on this: The first formal night threads I remember were before that, and the scale was pitched way over on the formal side. I remember a question I asked about whether a specific type of formal shirt was acceptable for the MDR's formal attire standards. (The consensus was that it was acceptable, though there were predictable naysayers.) Once Anytime Dining started taking hold, that began moving. Now, with Anytime Dining predominating on so many cruises, people are generally viewing the MDR as a they would a land-based restaurant rather than as specific artifact of traveling on a cruise ship, and so people are generally unwilling to allow cruise-traditionalism to trump the argument. Instead, what prevails at sea must be a reasonable expectation on land as well.