Pay for two, travel alone?

Hi!

I'm not sure how to handle this. I have a few days off coming up and found a great deal on a sailing with Royal Caribbean. The problem I have is that I would be alone on this trip. Now when trying to book a cabin alone results in prices that are more than 200% the standard price. Example: interior cabin in double occupancy 649$, same cabin in single occupancy 19xx$, which is almost three times the price.

Wouldn't it be simpler to book a double for 1300$ and just show up alone or are there any tricks to get the website to price it correctly?

Also, why do certain categories disappear when trying to book for a single passenger (almost all guarantee cabin types not available for singles while available for two passengers)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is one major area of frustration for the single cruiser. I just put 'TBA' in the second passenger field and make up a birth date. I then call to Crown and Anchor and have them remove the 2nd passenger taxes and convert to a single.

This is one major area of frustration for the single cruiser. I just put 'TBA' in the second passenger field and make up a birth date. I then call to Crown and Anchor and have them remove the 2nd passenger taxes and convert to a single.

Does the cruise price not revert to single pricing? The taxes aren't charged anyway for a single booking.

Just book two people and put in your mom, dad, aunt, etc. They are probably over 55. They don't show and you get the taxes back.

The Enchantment is a nice ship, if that's the one you re looking at. Key West is great. I'm looking to go on the old Majesty for 4 nights and will be doing the same, solo with friend over 55.

Does the cruise price not revert to single pricing? The taxes aren't charged anyway for a single booking.

For standard rates that is often the case. When they have a promotion, solos are often excluded and have to have the booking adjusted. GTY rates often revert to standard pricing for solos while discounting for double occupancy.

Cabins are price BASED ON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ...that's what the cabin costs. You should ignore the "per person" pricing. Either way, you will pay the cost of the cabin.

Their complaint was that they were paying more (much more) than just "the cost of the cabin".

And the question I saw asked was whether there would be an additional charge over and above the double occupancy rate if the passenger shoes up at the port alone. I have a bit of curiosity about that as well.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Just book two people and put in your mom, dad, aunt, etc. They are probably over 55. They don't show and you get the taxes back.

The Enchantment is a nice ship, if that's the one you re looking at. Key West is great. I'm looking to go on the old Majesty for 4 nights and will be doing the same, solo with friend over 55.

If the guarantee JS's go down for the 24th, I might jump on the Enchantment.

I wonder if it depends on ship and sailings. I have 4 cruises booked as a solo passenger and none of them were more than double the price of booking 2 in a cabin.

I know some of those solo rooms on some ships were coming up as a lot more than paying a single supplement for a regular interior cabin, so be aware of that.

Cabins are price BASED ON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ...that's what the cabin costs. You should ignore the "per person" pricing. Either way, you will pay the cost of the cabin.

Not true at all!! I've seen solo prices almost triple.

Edited by Ocean Dancer

And the question I saw asked was whether there would be an additional charge over and above the double occupancy rate if the passenger shoes up at the port alone. I have a bit of curiosity about that as well.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

It would not happen.

I wonder if it depends on ship and sailings. I have 4 cruises booked as a solo passenger and none of them were more than double the price of booking 2 in a cabin.

I know some of those solo rooms on some ships were coming up as a lot more than paying a single supplement for a regular interior cabin, so be aware of that.

Deb, you still here? I need help with our Roll Call.

When you get 340 cruise points, you get 150% prices and you still get double points. So you can make Diamond with just 6 7 day cruises. As a Diamond, you get free drinks from 5-830 PM every night plus specialty coffee 24/7.

How does this information pertain to the OP's question?

How does this information pertain to the OP's question?

Maybe the op has the points and has never cruised solo

Maybe there are others reading that would also fit this mold

The info was factual and not speculation

I see the recommendation all the time to have the second passenger be created on paper and then just be a no show.

I cruise solo and just accept the solo rate as an unavoidable cost. However, more and more people are recommending doing the "dummy " passenger route. Just wonder "how they get away with it" considering the Setsail pass requires a lot of information, such as name, address, date of birth, passport number, etc. Do they just make up this information? Especially the passport number - seems like it would be hard to do; possibly fraud. Just curious.

Also, why do certain categories disappear when trying to book for a single passenger (almost all guarantee cabin types not available for singles while available for two passengers)?

Because RCI hates you.

Seriously, call RCI - some have reported that while the online price shows more than 200% as the solo rate, when you call, you can get the cabin as a solo for 200%.

I see the recommendation all the time to have the second passenger be created on paper and then just be a no show.

I cruise solo and just accept the solo rate as an unavoidable cost. However, more and more people are recommending doing the "dummy " passenger route. Just wonder "how they get away with it" considering the Setsail pass requires a lot of information, such as name, address, date of birth, passport number, etc. Do they just make up this information? Especially the passport number - seems like it would be hard to do; possibly fraud. Just curious.

Just use the information for a relative or very close friend.

I am surprised this is recommended. Theft (sharing) condemned but not fraud

It would not happen.

I agree with this ^^ BUT if you are trying to book under a special rate category (55+, Crown & Anchor status, residency rate, etc.) a person with ID supporting eligibility for the rate WILL have to check in or you will be charged the non-promotional price. At least that's what it says in the "fine print". FWIW, I'd personally not be comfortable creating a false passenger ID. I'd either pay for a real person to come with me or find another sailing.

Triple the price, just doesn't seem right. Did do a mock booking all the way through the reservation to just before you pay? The price adjustments don't show up until after you pick the cabin. If it is still showing as triple, call RCCL. I have seen lots of error pricing on solo rates on the website and had to call. I have never even paid 200% for a cruise, and I've sailed solo 20 times, with 12 more booked solo. All my cruises have been 150-175%.