Transferring a booking to a travel agent

esper10

5 hours ago,  dog said: 

Is there any current information on this topic? Transferring a booking made with Princess to your travel agent?

thanks to all who have given us current info on this matter.   Dog

This has been my most current situation.  I had trouble (lots) transferring my bookings to my travel agent.  

Here's what went wrong:
Called Princess.  They emailed me a transfer form (seemed simple enough).  I filled it out online with PDF fill app.  Forwarded it to my TA.  She then faxed it. over.  It took several follow up calls to straighten issue out.

The ISSUE ?????  The email Princess sent me came on two pages.  After a week of not being transferred, I called Princess again.  This time, I reached someone who knew of the problem.  

SOLUTION:
Ask Princess to email you a Transfer to Agent form.
Make sure it is on ONE (1) page.  Either format to one page and fill out on the computer or print/cut/paste/fill in a hard copy.

Hard to believe, but that change was official in November 2018, but I recall Princess waived the rule for a couple of months.

Probably not  a coincidence that Celebrity has the same 60 day requirement.

Can anyone fairly  criticize Princess for tightening this loophole?  Princess is paying a commission to a TA who provides almost no value, while spending  almost the same amount of customer service resources supporting the booking prior to the final payment. 
Since my TA is very responsive, it is not an issue for me.  I certainly value the discount.  If it was not for the “sharing” of the commission, I would also probably just book direct.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 6:07 PM, lovevacadays said:

Seems like a lot of different answers. I transferred a booking to a TA a few months ago. She called and got it transferred. I didn't have to do anything but give my TA my booking info.

This is what I always do.  There is a form I have to sign but my TA gets it for me and sends it off to Princess.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tanyaewa said:

This is what I always do.  There is a form I have to sign but my TA gets it for me and sends it off to Princess.  

My TA sent me today a PDF 1 page transfer form to complete and submit to Princess. I hope this works for me.

• Like 1

Was wondering if you booked a cruise from Princess's agent, PCC or  onboard consultant and transfer the booking to a TA (that gives a better perks and OBC), do the Princess's agent, PCC or onboard consultant lose their commission?  

I agree about holding the booking with Princess because of better control of the booking for refare or changes?  But I also like the extra perks from TA.  Since I haven't find a good TA, I have been booking with Princess PCC directly with no extra perks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jagoffee said:

You could always take the risk, because I recall some people reporting that certain TA’s were able to get the policy waived.   

That was when the 60-day policy was first implemented and people who had booked before the announcement found they were already past the 60 day period when the announcement was made.

I have not read of any posts where anyone who booked after the policy was announced was able to get the policy waived.

9 hours ago, lost4sure said:

Was wondering if you booked a cruise from Princess's agent, PCC or  onboard consultant and transfer the booking to a TA (that gives a better perks and OBC), do the Princess's agent, PCC or onboard consultant lose their commission?  

I agree about holding the booking with Princess because of better control of the booking for refare or changes?  But I also like the extra perks from TA.  Since I haven't find a good TA, I have been booking with Princess PCC directly with no extra perks.

I do not known how PCC’s are compensated, but I would think that their compensation is not reduced when you transfer a booking.

In many cases (mine for sure) the TA perks are in the way of an additional discount.  The typical range for me is between 8% and 10%.  There are some very good TAs and it may be worth it for you to find one.  I found one of mine by searching for someone that posted on CC.  I found another one by asking my fellow passengers when on a cruise.  It is worth the effort IMO.

Best of luck.

7 hours ago, caribill said:

That was when the 60-day policy was first implemented and people who had booked before the announcement found they were already past the 60 day period when the announcement was made.

I have not read of any posts where anyone who booked after the policy was announced was able to get the policy waived.

I believe you are correct.  

I have been known to get my cruise lines forums mixed up.  It is certainly not worth the risk to hope that a TA can get a waiver from Princess.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lost4sure said:

When we started booking Princess cruises a couple of years ago, we asked our Princess PCC if he would get credit for at least booking a cruise if we subsequently transferred it to a TA within the 60 day grace period. He said he would not get the booking credit. Once he told us that, we told him we would start booking our Princess cruises directly with our TA and he thanked us.

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

I do not known how PCC’s are compensated, but I would think that their compensation is not reduced when you transfer a booking.

I agree.

But if a booking is kept with Princess, Princess agents spend the time to deal with the customer requests and Princess does not pay a commission to a TA.  In effect, Princess is paid to do the work for the customer.

But when a booking is transferred at final payment time Princess has done the work but the TA is compensated for it. That is the reason Princess made the change to only allow 60 days for the transfer. We may not like that they did this, but the reason is understandable.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, caribill said:

I agree.

But if a booking is kept with Princess, Princess agents spend the time to deal with the customer requests and Princess does not pay a commission to a TA.  In effect, Princess is paid to do the work for the customer.

But when a booking is transferred at final payment time Princess has done the work but the TA is compensated for it. That is the reason Princess made the change to only allow 60 days for the transfer. We may not like that they did this, but the reason is understandable.

but ... but ... but ... I don't want to "bother my TA" - isn't that what they are there for, so you don't have to deal with Princess ???

5 hours ago, lost4sure said:

Thanks for all the replies.  That is what I thought; that is why I have not transfer any bookings.  

I am not what you mean by that statement.

I just want to make sure that you realize that the earlier part of the thread was from 2017 and the comments are no longer correct.

If your booking is less than 60 days old, you might reconsider.

Happy holidays

DW and I recently transferred a booking from a direct telephonic booking with Princess cruise line to our TA.  We did this to join a group cruise in April 2022.  When we contacted the cruise line we were given a form to fill out and return.  Princess made the change within 48 hours.  Fast and easy.  I have enclosed a copy of that form for anyone who would like more information.  Happy days are just around the corner.

Reservation Transfer Request Form .pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2020 at 1:16 AM, lost4sure said:

I I do not know if the random Princess agent who answered my call and did my booking lost commission. The transfer to TA happened within 3 days of my request- very efficient. I use this TA as price usually a little less and did get some extra OBC. Just my preference.

• Thanks 1

I'm just curious why you don't book with the TA first and save the hassle of transferring?

Also if it was booked through a CVP they lose their commission (which is minimal I think) but also their quota. The TA can book your cruise and do the same thing. Unless you booked it online?

• Like 1

A number of times I have first booked with Princess to get the stateroom I want. Then I have contacted my T/A to see what price I can get for my booking & if I want to transfer it my T/A has done everything. Never had any problems & I’ve never had to fill out a transfer form & I've never lost any of the perks with my booking. I’ve always assumed that any agent could do that. 

Tom😀

Travlin grrl,                  I usually have time to look up cruises late at night or on weekends when Princess reps are not working.    I know what I want and enjoy looking at different itineraries to see if it is something I want.  I know the dates I want to travel and I want an aft cabin and pick the port or starboard side depending the direction we are traveling.   I want afternoon sun and be able to see sunsets, if possible.    I want to look over the flights and pick the times and connections I want.   I usually book when cruises first come out and am lucky most times to get a cabin that I am happy with but if I can't get a favorite cabin,  I continue to look several times a day to see if something better opened up.   If something changes, I want to get the call so I can make changes asap.   I loved the good old days when you could transfer it to my TA a week before final payment.    I book it online and do not use a Princess rep.    So, I am not taking a commission away from anyone. when I do transfer it to my TA.   

On 12/22/2020 at 8:10 PM, compozer said:

I faxed the transfer form to Princess over a week ago and they haven't done anything yet.   Hate to bug them with the holidays so close.   I have two other cruises that I want to transfer to my TA.

Less staff working 2 weeks?  Phone Princess to follow up.