Disappointed in Royal

So as I have done over the last several years. I went online to do a price check on one of my future cruises to compare with the price I booked it at to see of the price had dropped. Royal Caribbean has is now offering a "discounted" price if you choose but there is no refund of the deposit if you cancel. What? One of the facts over the years that you could cancel your cruise up to 75 days out is often why I was able to get people interested in cruising in the first place. Now you have to decide on gambling for dollars. When is enough and enough. Why can't Royal Caribbean be happy with the Billions they make?

So I was given the offer to save 290.00 dollars from my original booking and a 100.00 on board bonus that I would loose if I had to cancel, but I would need to plunk down an additional 700.00 that if I had to cancel I would loose actual 200.00 and get back 700 in vouchers for future cruises. So basically yes, there is some very marginal savings and over all I have only had to back out of a couple of cruises in the past years but that was part of the attraction to start with, a feeling of being risk free to a point. I re-book the same cruise with the refundable deposit for 500 dollars more than what I originally booked it at? Why even mention that?

I hate to say it but I can no longer promote RC to new people. Peoples lives situations change and unless they have a sure schedule and know that bad things won't happen I could see people booking at the discount. Not me.

I get where you are coming from and yes even though RCI has billions, of course they're greedy for more. But it's just an option.

I booked before this option was available and when it came out, me and hubby went over the numbers to see if it was right for us. And in the end the savings didn't outweigh the risk - esp. cause we're traveling with a small group - and if anyone of them cancels we probably all would cancel - and that would screw me and hubby if we booked the non refundable option.

I think if a person were something like a travel agent, it would be a disservice to customers to not even mention Royal as an option. Just thoroughly explain the non refundable option risks.

Me, as someone who is not involved in travel for my job - cruising is a vacation/ hobby - I would still tell my friends about Royal (the good and the bad) and let them make their own choice.

So as I have done over the last several years. I went online to do a price check on one of my future cruises to compare with the price I booked it at to see of the price had dropped. Royal Caribbean has is now offering a "discounted" price if you choose but there is no refund of the deposit if you cancel. What? One of the facts over the years that you could cancel your cruise up to 75 days out is often why I was able to get people interested in cruising in the first place. Now you have to decide on gambling for dollars. When is enough and enough. Why can't Royal Caribbean be happy with the Billions they make?

So I was given the offer to save 290.00 dollars from my original booking and a 100.00 on board bonus that I would loose if I had to cancel, but I would need to plunk down an additional 700.00 that if I had to cancel I would loose actual 200.00 and get back 700 in vouchers for future cruises. So basically yes, there is some very marginal savings and over all I have only had to back out of a couple of cruises in the past years but that was part of the attraction to start with, a feeling of being risk free to a point. I re-book the same cruise with the refundable deposit for 500 dollars more than what I originally booked it at? Why even mention that?

I hate to say it but I can no longer promote RC to new people. Peoples lives situations change and unless they have a sure schedule and know that bad things won't happen I could see people booking at the discount. Not me.

I don't see the big deal. So Royal now offers a lower rate than normal if you give them a non refundable deposit. So what. Carnival has done it for years.

I book cruises I intend to go one.

What cruise line will you promote now?

Edited by cruisinfanatic

So you are angry that RCI offers a non-refundable fare?

Or am I reading that wrong...

The idea of the fare makes sense- as it does cost money to allow people to have that kind of flexibility- one could have cabin reserved for just about 2 years, and then cancel it with 75 days to go. Which now makes that cabin tough to fill at the last moment. And yes, the last moment is that long, when many also have to factor in flying and arranging vacation time.

The rest of the world copes with this. Time to adapt. There's also a multiple page thread this could've gone in instead of starting another one

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2497510

They introduced it due to people in NA booking up loads of suites and then cancelling the ones they didn't want just before final payment, resulting in them having to sell those cabins at a reduced rate in the final 75 days.

Royal doesn't want your commitment that ties up their inventory i.e. cabin/suite, if the commitment rings hollow. I don't blame them. Using your scenario, they also don't want your friends & family's hollow commitment either. So if your are sincere about your date, ship, cabin, etc, book it w/o fear. If not, book it at the higher rate or even better, don't book it until you are sure all is a definite go.

The rest of the world copes with this. Time to adapt. There's also a multiple page thread this could've gone in instead of starting another one

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2497510

They introduced it due to people in NA booking up loads of suites and then cancelling the ones they didn't want just before final payment.

It trickled it down to all bookings to some degree, but this is correct. It was the serial suite hogs who pushed it over the edge.

I don't see the big deal. So Royal now offers a lower rate than normal if you give them a non refundable deposit. So what. Carnival has done it for years.

I book cruises I intend to go one.

The thing is most of the rates didn't drop. Both of the cruises we have booked are very close to what we booked at. The rates have stayed very close to the same for 6-8 months now depending on the "sale of the day or week". So from here on out to get what I already had I have to risk losing money or wait until the last minute to book. We have only cruised with Royal and have cancelled once. I may still book but it won't be as far in advance I will likely check prices and book closer to once we know for sure we can go but if prices go up between time we will probably explore other options. Since our first cruise we loved it and don't really want any other vacations because they don't offer the value but other vacations we have booked in the past can all be cancelled as long as it's in advance so may be time to see what else is out there.

or pony up for the refundable rate (until that is not longer available).

True. But now they will be required to 'pony' up. Which in some cases is a lot of funds. Perhaps some have the funds to do this, but I'm comfortable saying that many Suite Hogs slithered away. Throwing down $500 per reservation for 6 reservations, all at the higher price refundable rate will calm most down. Especially those that would do this at the Next Cruise desk. I don't think it will ever be an even playing field, but then again I don't expect it. But things did get better.

It's not about the billions of dollars that RC already makes. It's about the fact that RCI is a public corporation with shareholders. That means that profits must be ever increasing. There's only two ways to do that.

1. Increase revenue (raise prices)

2. reduce costs

Since RCI's profits will forever be increasing, things are going to get worse. In ten years, the only thing that will be included in your cruise fair is the Windjammer Cafe. Can you imagine an up-charge for the MDR? It's coming.

Princess' s discounted "Sun Drenched Deals" also have a $100 per person non-refundable feature.

Holland America's discounted "Snap Fares" are also non-refundable deposits.

The thing is most of the rates didn't drop. Both of the cruises we have booked are very close to what we booked at. The rates have stayed very close to the same for 6-8 months now depending on the "sale of the day or week". So from here on out to get what I already had I have to risk losing money or wait until the last minute to book. We have only cruised with Royal and have cancelled once. I may still book but it won't be as far in advance I will likely check prices and book closer to once we know for sure we can go but if prices go up between time we will probably explore other options. Since our first cruise we loved it and don't really want any other vacations because they don't offer the value but other vacations we have booked in the past can all be cancelled as long as it's in advance so may be time to see what else is out there.

So do you book your airfare at the higher refundable rate or the super economy rate with no refunds? I don't see the difference.

Since RCI's profits will forever be increasing

While the shareholders and RCCL would love that, the chances of that are just about zero. Competition (and not just against other cruise lines but land based alternatives also) and the realities of the market do not allow for that. It has been fairly easy to increase profits when the market allowed for increased fares (coming out of a recession) and some on board adjustments, but both of those are one time things - not really repeatable.

Too many posts on CC "bragging" about how many deposits some people made for years in advance with no intention of following through that denied cabins for others who really wanted to sail. If you wanted a particular sail date and no cabin in the category you were seeking was available, you either moved on to a different date or went with another cruise line. As long as cruisers had no real investment at stake, they just booked as many sail dates as they could just as a "place holder" knowing full well they were never going to use them. It took RCCL awhile to figure out that these "reserved" dates conflicted with each other and that so many of them were cancelled once it came to final payment date by repeat reservers. :(

Glad the new policy is in effect.

MARAPRINCE

Too many posts on CC "bragging" about how many deposits some people made for years in advance with no intention of following through that denied cabins for others who really wanted to sail. If you wanted a particular sail date and no cabin in the category you were seeking was available, you either moved on to a different date or went with another cruise line. As long as cruisers had no real investment at stake, they just booked as many sail dates as they could just as a "place holder" knowing full well they were never going to use them. It took RCCL awhile to figure out that these "reserved" dates conflicted with each other and that so many of them were cancelled once it came to final payment date by repeat reservers. :(

MARAPRINCE

Agree

MARAPRINCE

Agreed. So can they at least bring back 24hr hold?