Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

I just sat on a jury and we were allowed to discuss the crime after the final verdict was reached. We are not allowed to make any money off of the trial until 90 days after the verdict. The jurors names are sealed for several years and if they are released we will be notified beforehand. If we wish our names to remain sealed, we go before a judge and request it. I have sat on a jury before, but this one case was stressful.

Grand juries are always closed hearings, so no discussion would be allowed by the jury after the hearing is over, and the transcripts are sealed. Regular jury trials, jurors are allowed to discuss the case, as you've indicated, but only after the trial is over.

I would like to know, as the one poster asked, if cameras will be allowed in the courtroom for this trial, although I can't remember a time when they were allowed to film in federal court, at least here in the Bay Area. Always seems to be poster boards done by the sketch artists, as opposed to camera feed, if allowed by the magistrate.

Has anyone who is calling for closing this thread presented a legitimate case to close it?

What's the motivation to close it? We're on a discussion forum and we're having a discussion.

I just sat on a jury and we were allowed to discuss the crime after the final verdict was reached. We are not allowed to make any money off of the trial until 90 days after the verdict. The jurors names are sealed for several years and if they are released we will be notified beforehand. If we wish our names to remain sealed, we go before a judge and request it. I have sat on a jury before, but this one case was stressful.

Jury and Grand Jury are 2 different things. Members of a Grand Jury are typically on the hook for several months and convene at least once a month. Grand jurors don't hear trials.

Here's a question for our legal experts: If it were to go to trial, where would the trial be held (I'm assuming Juneau)? And would witnesses - such as cruise ship staff, passengers, and family members, be required to go to Alaska to testify? Who pays for travel and lodging? Or could all the testimony be done with recorded depositions?

The trial could be moved to anywhere in the District of Alaska but it will most likely remain in Juneau. Yes, if it goes to trial...and that's a big "if"...witnesses will be served a subpoena to appear. DOJ covers the cost.

Websleuths (and Internet sleuthing in general) can turn into a witch hunt pretty fast. Caveat emptor.

p.s., no one deserves to be murdered for asking for a divorce, no matter what the circumstances.

I thought that was made clear prior.

Has anyone who is calling for closing this thread presented a legitimate case to close it?

What's the motivation to close it? We're on a discussion forum and we're having a discussion.

I hope the mods see to it that this thread remains open. It won't remain on the front page forever. I recall other threads on CC going for a while and then the thread drops off, end of discussion. Just let it take its natural course. These type of threads need to be discussed. No one is being hurt by it. If it's uncomfortable for some, then don't click and read the thread. Why ruin it for everyone who needs and wants to discuss it? No one is being disrespectful to the family here.

I hope the mods see to it that this thread remains open. It won't remain on the front page forever. I recall other threads on CC going for a while and then the thread drops off, end of discussion. Just let it take its natural course. These type of threads need to be discussed. No one is being hurt by it. If it's uncomfortable for some, then don't click and read the thread. Why ruin it for everyone who needs and wants to discuss it? No one is being disrespectful to the family here.

I also hope it continues. If there are inappropriate posts then I hope those are removed and the thread continues until it dies a natural death.

Grand jury's meet in secret. I mean, obviously everyone knows the grand jury meets, but much like Vegas, what goes on in the grand jury room stays in the grand jury room. Grand juries don't decide guilt or innocence. They decide whether the case moves forward to trial or not.

Grand jury's meet in secret. I mean, obviously everyone knows the grand jury meets, but much like Vegas, what goes on in the grand jury room stays in the grand jury room. Grand juries don't decide guilt or innocence. They decide whether the case moves forward to trial or not.

I just got a questionnaire for grand jury. I sure hope they don't pick me. My state is one day a week, in the state capital, for 18 months!!

I will have to tell them I can't keep a secret and will be blabbing details to everyone! ;) :D

Do you mean other than that most obvious reason already given...being a "long time Princess cruiser"??? What more legitimate reason for stopping the thread do you need??;p

Toot-Toot!

Cheerio, Dearies!! :*

I just got a questionnaire for grand jury. I sure hope they don't pick me. My state is one day a week, in the state capital, for 18 months!!

I will have to tell them I can't keep a secret and will be blabbing details to everyone! ;) :D

I got a good laugh out of this ... needed it after reading such a serious thread. Thanks!!

Do you mean other than that most obvious reason already given...being a "long time Princess cruiser"??? What more legitimate reason for stopping the thread do you need??;p

Toot-Toot!

Cheerio, Dearies!! :*

Long term Princess cruisers don't want to think of murder every time they board a ship?

Her alleged killer was her husband of 18 years, 39-year-old Kenneth Manzanares. The high school sweethearts had been celebrating their wedding anniversary with their daughters and extended family on a week-long Princess Cruises voyage from Seattle to Alaska.

According to the source, the night of the killing, Kristy’s father and brother broke down the cabin door after hearing Kristy screaming from her room. In the blood-covered cabin, they discovered Kristy mortally wounded and Kenneth allegedly covered in blood as well.

Ever since, Kristy’s family has been reeling.

The FBI affidavit stated that a witness called DH pulled Kristy back into the room. Her brothers initials are DH. The source may be correct.

I noticed the next two days after the killing, there was a Princess employee sitting on a chair outside the room guarding it. Maybe the door was damaged and would not lock..

This still dominates my thoughts , even a week later.

What about for trials though, re, live feed?

It depends on the judge, some states allow cameras in and some don't. There is a site called lawnewz.com if you like watching trials. They also talk about trials as well. They are keeping an eye on this one as well.

I called princess to verify we wouldn't be staying in those rooms this week. We were assured that those rooms would not be in use for the first couple of cruises. That is NOT the case. Both of the rooms are occupied.

There was no damage to the stateroom door nor was anything else broken. Carpet has been replaced I am told. Security won't talk to crew about details, probably because of upcoming legal cases and not wanting to influence testimony.

I thought I'd hear someone else on the cruise talking about this incident, but I haven't.

Edited by Tubafone
Misspelled

It depends on what the initial call is. If someone calls in initially complaining of noises, etc they are not going to rush (it scares other passengers). That also may affect where the person is dispatched from. If subsequent calls change the situation sometimes it can be a challenge to reach the person on the way.

That said, apropos of another comment, Princess really needs to up their tech infrastructure. We just got off Carnival (notes to follow) and the way they use tech to coordinate staff is something Princess should be emulating!)

Holland America has taken over all of the back office departments for Princess, such as security, personnel, HR, insurance, etc. In recently speaking with a Princess sales rep she said that eventually, and I believe it has already started based on my last cruise, that the Princess ships, dining, etc will reflect more of Holland.

In a previous thread I read that someone reported the incident at 8:45 and by the time security showed up they were walking with no sense of urgency. Not casting blame at all since I was not there, but one wonders if this is true, and security responded immediately, maybe they could have broken up the fight? Not trying to create drama so please don't attack me.

I know personally about delayed responses and inaccurate reporting. When I had norovirus on the Crown and called Medical and passenger services at noon and twice more during the afternoon but was told by the front desk that they would pass my call on to medical services. I didn't get a call back until 6:00 pm and was chewed out by the nurse for "just now reporting it". Once I straightened her out her attitude changed.

When I got home I requested my medical records for insurance reimbursement and when received was completely shocked at how inaccurate the records were. I contacted customer relations to have them corrected but was told that that was not possible as the nurse was no longer on that ship.

So I agree, there is a lot of room for improvement on board the ships.

I called princess to verify we wouldn't be staying in those rooms this week. We were assured that those rooms would not be in use for the first couple of cruises. That is NOT the case. Both of the rooms are occupied.

There was no damage to the stateroom door nor was anything else broken. Carpet has been replaced I am told. Security won't talk to crew about details, probably because of upcoming legal cases and not wanting to influence testimony.

I thought I'd hear someone else on the cruise talking about this incident, but I haven't.

Security will never talk to anyone about anything. Period.

The only way you can find out any information is to talk to one of the stewards. Princess would rather sweep it under the carpet & move on.

Next sailing? No. The room will need to be cleaned by a specialty team before reuse for various reasons and that will take a couple of days assuming such a team is even immediately available in alaska (the cleaning itself could probably mostly be done in one port day, but there is detail work after everything dries.. Depending on when it is released as a crime scene (taking the carpet out could be evidential) your best case turnaround is 7-10 days (some of the chemicals used need to dissipate before the room is refinished in such a small space.

I think it is entirely possible. Hand FBI all physical evidence, carpet, lamps, ladder for the bunk bed, etc. replace everything at next port, get new people in ASAP. Feasible.

Disclaimer, not a legal expert except trained as Paralegal but spent several years working with law enforcement on the IT side of things so pretty much lived it at the local, federal and state level, just didn't get a gun.

Given it is a federal issue, it can be tried in any federal court. The initial venue will be the closest to the incident site, but either prosecution or defense could request a move to another venue for logistical or jury pool reasons. That would not surprise me in this case if it goes to trial (I would be VERY surprised if it did - based strictly on the criminal complaint and some experience with federal law enforcement, I would suspect a final plea to some level of manslaughter).

If witnesses are required, typically the side calling them covers transportation and lodging (which would be a valid reason for change of venue if needed given Alaska's remote nature and the likelihood that no actual witnesses other than FBI agents would be in that area at time of trial). Recorded depositions are usually not sufficient in a criminal trial, at least for the prosecution as the accused has a general right to challenge their accuser(s).

Here's a question for our legal experts: If it were to go to trial, where would the trial be held (I'm assuming Juneau)? And would witnesses - such as cruise ship staff, passengers, and family members, be required to go to Alaska to testify? Who pays for travel and lodging? Or could all the testimony be done with recorded depositions?

To be honest, you do not know whether those rooms were occupied or not because you do not have access to that information. You can tell whether that room is available or not but you cannot tell whether it is occupied because you simply do not have access to such information.

Tom