Why does this whole drinks package business have to be so complicated?

Last cruise we were sitting at the end of Schooner bar and the beverage manager came out and discretely told the bar tender to raise the price of a certain liqueur by a $ as they were running low.

Ultimate dynamic pricing.

Last cruise we were sitting at the end of Schooner bar and the beverage manager came out and discretely told the bar tender to raise the price of a certain liqueur by a $ as they were running low.

Doesnt make much sense - if no one knows how much the drinks are and they are just added to the OBa/c

how is changing the price going to affect demand/stock??????????

Doesnt make much sense - if no one knows how much the drinks are and they are just added to the OBa/c

Most folks drink the same thing and they'll notice the price (or maybe not) after the first drink when they sign for it.

I predict many, many pages of opinions, facts, pricing schemes and "dynamic" explanations of why you might not be correct!

*grabs popcorn*

As I stated in a subsequent post, Nate, the package itself is simple it is all the surrounding "stuff" that is annoying.

No, it doesn't make sense at all since the bartenders just ring up the drinks and do not have the ability to change the price.

Sorry if I have not followed.

Thought we were talking about drinks packages - on the few I have had I have never been asked to sign anything.

The liqueur Ocean Dancer mentioned is probably some expensive stuff that may be above the limit of the drink package. Also, many don't have packages and pay by the drink and that is who the manager was aiming for with the raised prices.

This is interesting to me. We are taking our first cruise in a few months and I feel like there are hidden costs all over the place. I bought the drink packages for me and my husband. I thought that that covers all of our alcoholic drinks. Is this not the case. He is primarily a beer drinker and I am wine drinker. Are we going to end up paying for drinks anyway?

With the drink package you cannot buy the "bucket" of beer. This is usually pay for 5, get 6 or pay for 4, get 5. We like the bucket for convenience as we bring any back to the cabin to have later or tomorrow. As far as wine, you can bring two bottles on in your carry-on, not checked luggage. We had a "free" drink package through Celebrity and it was nice to have but I can't justify the cost since our onboard account for drinks is always less than the drink package. If you change your mind about your drink package I believe you can change your mind and get a refund (before you leave).

No, it doesn't make sense at all since the bartenders just ring up the drinks and do not have the ability to change the price.

They sure do have the ability if told by their superiors. We heard and watched with our own ears and eyes. You were not there.:eek::eek:

They sure do have the ability if told by their superiors. We heard and watched with our own ears and eyes. You were not there.:eek::eek:

What ship, date & bar?

Kerry, if your response is to me, it was Schooner Bar on Serenade last Thanksgiving. See signature

I'm wondering if anybody knows the timeline for pre-cruise discount on beverage packages. If you buy at 20% off and it goes to 30% off, can you cancel and re-purchase?

There is no timeline, each sailing is different. Some ships never get discounts, others have them permanently. I am sure it depends on how likely people are to buy them for a given sailing and how many have already bought. You can cancel up to I think 3 days before your cruise, and then re-purchase.

It's just a pity that there is no alternative for folks like us, where none of the packages fits because our small spend includes a mix of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and coffees. It would be really great to be able to have the option of a pre-purchased credit for our drinks that would give us even a tiny discount on our overall shared spend.

:(

There is an option for you. Buy some OBC and use that for your drinks and whatever you don't spend will be refunded to you at the end of the cruise.

Comes down to either a pay as you go or package, no real middle ground

Sent from my LG-H831 using Forums mobile app

There is an option for you. Buy some OBC and use that for your drinks and whatever you don't spend will be refunded to you at the end of the cruise.

Comes down to either a pay as you go or package, no real middle ground

Sent from my LG-H831 using Forums mobile app

I agree that would help with budgeting but we'd still be paying the full price for drinks. I'm guessing there must be some kind of discount built into the packages, even if it's only a small one, or people wouldn't be so keen to buy them. For example the arcade credits offered on the cruise planner say 20% off on board prices. That's the sort of deal I'd like to see with drinks, even if it was only 5% off.

The only time we've had a card was on Vision a while back, and that card was not marked with a date or ship name. However, not having seen cards from other ships, the design might have been unique to Vision.

On our June Freedom cruise, the card was pretty nondescript, no ship or sail date. But my folio number was written on the back of the card so that prohibited anyone else from using it and would also make it impossible to take it to another cruise. Pity, since I still had four drinks left on it!! :loudcry:

I'm guessing there must be some kind of discount built into the packages, even if it's only a small one, or people wouldn't be so keen to buy them.

Once you get to D there's a discount and also there's some pre-cruise discounts, but people generally buy it because they did the math and they think the cost of the package is worth it for their drinking pattern vs. buying individual drinks.

I don't think it's fair they let you bring some alcohol on board if celebrating like an anniversary. We don't drink, but would like to bring some pop on. I could take a chance, but sense there's a chance it'll be taken away I'm not going to bother.

We've always take our own soft drinks onboard, and never had them confiscated. We sail Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston. We drink Dr Pepper, and it's not available on Royal. We take the chance and figure the most we'll be out (if confiscated) is a few dollars.