Deployment 2019-20 booking season begins

Please send us a quantum class to PC for new terminal in 2019!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Brand new terminal, only used by RCI three of seven days...third ship would be wonderful!! No matter what it is!! But much prefer either a Voyager or Radiance (and would also love a Vision class to replace beloved Enchantment)...something mid sized would be great rather than the choice of only the largest and the smallest. :o

Perfect, Quantum class to Miami, Mariner to PC.:D

Yes...yes...yes!! :hearteyes:

Makes sense, since then all the corporate big wigs can glance out their Miami headquarters windows and see their new shining jewel sitting out there.

Hey big wigs....give us back the Mariner!!

Brand new terminal, only used by RCI three of seven days...third ship would be wonderful!! No matter what it is!! But much prefer either a Voyager or Radiance (and would also love a Vision class to replace beloved Enchantment)...something mid sized would be great rather than the choice of only the largest and the smallest. :o
Totally agree Mariner could do 5 and 9 day itineraries. Or if MN replaced MJ, I would do back to backs on her.

Let’s see which ship it might be.

It’s just a VERY VAGUE theory from my side, without any source or confirmation, but:

2019 would be the first time for Quantum otS (I mean the original one) to go into dry dock.

Nay be they could do that in Europe, so therefore she might be sent to Europe, spent a Europe season there, and by fall 2019 she might move to Florida?

My dream of the Suez Canal in 2019 could be back on then!!(y)

Totally agree Mariner could do 5 and 9 day itineraries. Or if MN replaced MJ, I would do back to backs on her.

Having to fly to Florida from Ireland I would love to do a longer cruise than is offered so a 9 nighter would be fantastic! :ship:

My dream of the Suez Canal in 2019 could be back on then!!(y)

Having to fly to Florida from Ireland I would love to do a longer cruise than is offered so a 9 nighter would be fantastic! :ship:

Agree with that!! We really loved doing the 9 night on EX when she did

that in PC for one short season. Was hoping that would set the tone for a permanent set up....but nothing happened after than. :(

Mind is going so my recollection may be off. Doesn’t RCI announce the deployment of its ships in advance of the actual announcement of their itineraries?

Not usually, they just announce a schedule of when the itineraries will be released.

Not usually, they just announce a schedule of when the itineraries will be released.

Thanks. I could swear that a year or two ago RCI had a big separate announcement on the redeployment of ships followed by release of the itineraries a few weeks later. Most likely another beer induced haze.

^ They may have some announcement like that (or one by individual ship, like Spectrum), but I don't think that's the norm. Anything like is not likely to come very much before the real itineraries. Many times by then, the sleuths here have already figured out most ships' general itineraries by port schedules.

Fri 17 May 19, 09:30VOYAGER OF THE SEAS17:00InternationalRoyal Caribbean International3644

Gibraltar Ports Website

Might well be the same cruise which also calls at Le Havre, the 23rd of May.

I also saw Voyager listed in Palma de Mallorca somewhere in summer 2019.

The exact date I’d need to look up again.

Let’s see if she will be based in Southampton, or in Med.

On the other hand I don't know if the 205 figure with Anthem is with the stacks extended or lowered.

I think 205' stacks are not lowered. Here's why:

As quoted per the video by Derek Piccone:

"The Quantum of the Seas at a height of 72 meters is unable to pass under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. To get around this Royal Caribbean installed a retractable funnel that allowed the ship to lower it's height by 15 feet to just 68 meters."

Here are the photos from the Quantum Control Room

DSC03098_zpsaf339f75.jpg

DSC03099_zpsba0c9519.jpg

I believe 72m is the total height of Q Class from keel to funnel.

Per the control room document, the quoted keel to water-line "design" draft is 8.5m

Design Draft: "Design draught (or design draft) is the anticipated draught of the completed ship, when loaded. The design draught is usually considered as either an operationally restricted draught, or the for the full load departure (as opposed to load line) condition"

Let's put 2 and 2 together:

Q Class total height keel to funnel 72m = 236 ft

less "design draft" approx 8.5m (28ft) = 208ft... the control room document clearly shows 62.5m = 205ft so we're close

Nonetheless, 208ft less 15 more feet by retracting funnels = 193ft

As quoted in the video by Derek Piccone, with funnels retracted 68m = 223ft

less design draft (28ft) = 195ft ... almost the same as above

Does anyone see anything wrong with my math here? Bill??

If the math is right, there's no doubt Q Class can get under the BoA and through the new locks... which is likely why the Quantum Control room had stats for the Panama Canal.

Capt Srecko said that he did not know about the breadth at lifeboat height, indicating perhaps there could be a problem as the water in the canals dropped there would be an issue with the width of Q Class. However I see 162ft max beam (I assume this is the lifeboats? or the bridge?) so again looks good to me....

but I'm no cruise ship engineer!

Spectrum Of The Seas will be heading to Asia and if you didn't know they have released what seems to be the Re-position to China in the link below.

From the link below. RCL gave out Prizes. Direct Translate via google

1 prize for the "Ocean Spectrum" from the North Atlantic through Gibraltar, Mediterranean, Suez Canal, the Arabian Sea, Indian Ocean, Andaman Sea, China South China Sea, the Pacific, Shanghai, China 12 countries 52 days Cruise travel; 2 prize for the "Ocean Spectrum" from Singapore to Shanghai 8 days trip,

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1327/ldquordquo-/

^ that would seem to indicate no Med season for her, but a fairly direct re-positioning to Asia after she comes off the assembly line - the same as NCL did with Joy this year. Sounds like another "World cruise" to be marketed by RCI, though 52 days would be a fairly leisurely pace considering during that same period Mariner was going all the way to Miami.

And maybe in the same time frame as Spectrum heads to Far East via Europe and Middle East, Voyager seems to come back to Europe the other way around - according to some port schedules, her transition from Asia to Europe seems to end in Southampton first, maybe she will be refurbished in Rotterdam or so.

Than I spotted her in the cruise call list of Palma de Mallorca, somewhere in summer 2019.

Let's see what is planned for Quantum otS - if she stays in China/Far East, or if she will be borught back to Europe as well. I'd really appreciate ths!

Since her first routine dry dock would be due in 2019, quite an interesting question...

If Symphony does not come back to Europe in 2019 (Oasis is listed at Palma de Mallorca several times), and Quantum not either, it does not seem that there will be any newer RCI ship in Europe in 2019.

So far, the most likely ships for Europe are:

-Oasis otS (Barcelona)

-Independence otS (Southampton)

-Jewel otS (Rome), Serenade otS (Copenhagen/Stockholm), Brilliance otS (Amsterdam)

-Navigator otS (Southampton), Voyager otS (?)

-Vision otS (Barcelona for longer crusies), Rhapsody (Venice)

If Symphony does not come back to Europe in 2019 (Oasis is listed at Palma de Mallorca several times)

Oasis is due for her 10 year dry dock and it seems like all Oasis class ships tack on a Med season to their dry dock - the only reason they go to Europe.

I think 205' stacks are not lowered. Here's why:

As quoted per the video by Derek Piccone:

"The Quantum of the Seas at a height of 72 meters is unable to pass under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. To get around this Royal Caribbean installed a retractable funnel that allowed the ship to lower it's height by 15 feet to just 68 meters."

Here are the photos from the Quantum Control Room

DSC03098_zpsaf339f75.jpg

DSC03099_zpsba0c9519.jpg

I believe 72m is the total height of Q Class from keel to funnel.

Per the control room document, the quoted keel to water-line "design" draft is 8.5m

Design Draft: "Design draught (or design draft) is the anticipated draught of the completed ship, when loaded. The design draught is usually considered as either an operationally restricted draught, or the for the full load departure (as opposed to load line) condition"

Let's put 2 and 2 together:

Q Class total height keel to funnel 72m = 236 ft

less "design draft" approx 8.5m (28ft) = 208ft... the control room document clearly shows 62.5m = 205ft so we're close

Nonetheless, 208ft less 15 more feet by retracting funnels = 193ft

As quoted in the video by Derek Piccone, with funnels retracted 68m = 223ft

less design draft (28ft) = 195ft ... almost the same as above

Does anyone see anything wrong with my math here? Bill??

If the math is right, there's no doubt Q Class can get under the BoA and through the new locks... which is likely why the Quantum Control room had stats for the Panama Canal.

Capt Srecko said that he did not know about the breadth at lifeboat height, indicating perhaps there could be a problem as the water in the canals dropped there would be an issue with the width of Q Class. However I see 162ft max beam (I assume this is the lifeboats? or the bridge?) so again looks good to me....

but I'm no cruise ship engineer!

Well I am certainly not a cruise ship engineer either, but that doesn't mean we are not experts! Ha;) I don't see anything wrong with the math, however Derek's statement about the Q having to lower stacks to clear the Verrazano Narrows Bridge doesn't square with what I have seen. I have watched several videos on youtube and both the Q and the A sail under the Bridge with the stacks extended. The Narrows Bridge has a navigational clearance of 215', so I am thinking the Anthem's air draft doesn't exceed 215' with the stacks extended and if lowering them will provide another 15' of clearance she is good to go. That would put her at no more than 200' air draft, well within limits.

From what I can tell it is the bridge wings that probably are the 162' measurement. I fell certain that the overhang of the lifeboats is more than 30' above the water, that shouldn't be an issue. Actually if the was an issue with overhang, it would be evident at the first lock. As the ship enters the first chamber it is at this point where there would be the minimum clearance for any overhang. An interesting tidbit, although the Disney Wonder did not have any issues with overhang, they handled the ship differently going through the new locks. Instead of landing the ship on the wall and tying up, they held the ship in the center of the chamber while water was admitted to the chamber and did not land on either wall. I really don't think they will need to do that for the lifeboats to clear.

Somewhere deep inside Royal's planning department there just had to be a voice screaming out... "haven' we built enough ships that are too tall for some of the places a lot of people want to go?"

Oasis is due for her 10 year dry dock and it seems like all Oasis class ships tack on a Med season to their dry dock - the only reason they go to Europe.

Yeah, apart from the other reason when they are constructed in Europe and RCI can deploy them for a first full Europe season after they're finished... ;)

So if nothing unseen happens, from 2018 we should have an Oasis Class ship in Europe every year, at least until 2021: 2018 Symphony, 2019 Oasis, 2020 Allure, 2021 Oasis newbuild...

That would put her at no more than 200' air draft, well within limits.

Yep! Now in your example, retract the funnels and she's at 185'.

No matter how you look at it, it seems Q Class would be ok through the Canal and under the BoA.

Wait a second!!!!..... this means Q Class can get under the Lion's Gate Bridge in Vancouver (200')?!?! :confused:

Maybe take over Radiance's itinerary someday?

Where is this announced at and when?

Usually the travel agents get it.

And every year since those speculation threads for the upcoming season are active, this deployment schedule has been published in the forum.

So you can take for granted it will happen again for the 2019/20 period.

Usually those deployment lists roll out in February, so in our case for 2019/20, we should have it by February 2018.

If RCI continues to publish next years itinerary in March/April the year before...