re meat pies

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Merry Xmas all, we are putting last night's left overs into a pie for lunch.

Not sure it will work though as there is a lot of trifle. 😉

Blind bake the pastry, cool it, then pile in the trifle. You're welcome! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

On 12/25/2022 at 2:47 PM, ilikeanswers said:

It was one of the reasons we were drawn to it. Duck itself has a bit of a gamey flavour, I think that is why it complemented the veal so well. 

It actually sounds delicious😋

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, beatleman said:

Looking forward to having a Scallop Pie in Hobart in a fortnights time. This thread needs some new recipes and pie shops ifs been dormant since Christmas😭😁

If you get to Richmond by any chance,  have a scallop pie at the bakery - very yummy (and in my opinion better than the one at Mures in Hobart which had too much curry, overpowering the scallop taste)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, boeckli said:

If you get to Richmond by any chance,  have a scallop pie at the bakery - very yummy (and in my opinion better than the one at Mures in Hobart which had too much curry, overpowering the scallop taste)

Ross bakery is, in my opinion, even better.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, beatleman said:

Looking forward to having a Scallop Pie in Hobart in a fortnights time. This thread needs some new recipes and pie shops ifs been dormant since Christmas😭😁

If you pass through Merriwa the mint lamb pie is absolutely delicious.

• Like 1

Indeed the pie thread has been going for 5 years, onwards pie eaters.  I had one of these today, not bad. Pack of 2, frozen from Woolworths @ $8.  No gf food is cheap.😢

694031.jpg.612810217bc7816f82a1cf0520a4246a.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

I've missed the pie think-tank.  It's also been a while since we sampled Garran Bakery's delicious pies.  We'll do that next week and if I can wait before I attack mine, I'll post a photo.  Happy pie munching, everyone, in the meantime.

We had a pastie from our favourite local bakery for breakfast this morning.  My girlfriend did a day bus trip to the Gold Coast yesterday.  They were delighted to stop at Yatala Pies on the way home.  Until reminded, I forget just how much pies and pasties are part of our every day lifestyle.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NSWP said:

Indeed the pie thread has been going for 5 years, onwards pie eaters.  I had one of these today, not bad. Pack of 2, frozen from Woolworths @ $8.  No gf food is cheap.😢

694031.jpg.612810217bc7816f82a1cf0520a4246a.jpg

They are also stocking Tassie National Pies 2 pack $7/50; unfrozen quite a nice range and taste nice too. Tassie pies are normally 80% roadkill 20% pastry lovely lol 🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beatleman said:

They are also stocking Tassie National Pies 2 pack $7/50; unfrozen quite a nice range and taste nice too. Tassie pies are normally 80% roadkill 20% pastry lovely lol 🤣

But the National pies are not gluten free, not suitable for this full blown coeliac. However I have heard the National pies are a quality product. Now I know where all the Tassie Devils disappear to…National Pies factory.🤣

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Ripe? That's an unfortunate name.😁

It started out as a small apple orchard that needed a way to use their apples, so they made pies from the "ripe" fruit and sold them out the front of the property. They are now manufactured in a local factory & sold around Melbourne

• Like 2

On 3/6/2023 at 7:52 PM, possum52 said:

I thought pie lovers, well pastry and bread lovers really might be interested in this article - Australia's Best Vanilla Slice and Pies

I noticed that, Leigh, and it does sound delicious.  However, I have to say that the very best vanilla slice I've ever tasted is made locally, at Cafe Delish in Deakin.  The filling, like a French or Italian creme patisserie, is so light it almost floats.  The pastry is light, flaky and crisp.  It would have given them a run for their money, if it was entered.  Now I'm tempted to hop in the car......

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I noticed that, Leigh, and it does sound delicious.  However, I have to say that the very best vanilla slice I've ever tasted is made locally, at Cafe Delish in Deakin.  The filling, like a French or Italian creme patisserie, is so light it almost floats.  The pastry is light, flaky and crisp.  It would have given them a run for their money, if it was entered.  Now I'm tempted to hop in the car......

Thinking of light, flaky and crisp pastry, I had a Portuguese tart with my coffee after our walk through the park this morning.  It was absolutely delicious, but so tiny.  Anyone else love real Portuguese tarts?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thinking of light, flaky and crisp pastry, I had a Portuguese tart with my coffee after our walk through the park this morning.  It was absolutely delicious, but so tiny.  Anyone else love real Portuguese tarts?

Yes:  me!😋

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

The best vanilla slice I've ever had was at Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula. It was some years ago and absolutely amazing. With a group of friends, we decided to catch the bus from our suburb down to Sorrento. It was really good fun as none of us ever caught buses and we didn't have a clue! Anyway we decided to stop at this bakery which was reputed to have amazing vanilla slices. Wow, were they ever! I even bought two to bring home and they made it safely! We were in Sorrento prior to Covid for a weekend and had a vanilla slice again, not the same place I don't think. Very nice but so big, I struggled to eat all mine. The filling on both these VS was similar to a creme patisserie, very light and creamy.