Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

I am on the Liberty now. I believe the ship doctor resolved the medical issues. My husband was down there because yes, he did not pack enough medication for our extended cruise days! Lesson learned! He had to pay $88 for the office visit and the cost of medication. I do not know if we are covered for this with trip insurance or not, but it is a small price to pay. They are very well stocked with medication and were knowledgable. Other than the crowds of people in the same situation, we were thankful they were there. One of the emergencies was a gentleman with diabetes who had spiked blood sugar. I believe the doctor was able to stabilize him.

I have to say, I was feeling a little concerned that they were trying to get me off the ship for several reasons. They wanted to get the new paying customers on the ship. Also, the minute I walked down the gangway they were relieved of being responsible for me. They could take the new passengers and get out of town during the "window of opportunity" the Captain kept referring to.

I have no reason really to base those feelings. Never did he say if he got in the port we had to leave, really. I will say I truly have no clue what they were trying to do and I was right there. The crew kept telling us that they did not think we were going anywhere. They had more faith than I did. I admit I was very worried about driving home through Houston. My employer was very kind and understanding. My husband's employer was as well. Life is good and we are very grateful to be here happy and healthy!

One experience like this will not change how I feel about anything. Every single day we take a risk. I feel extremely blessed this morning as I sit on my balcony and sip coffee. All my children, their spouses and grandchildren are with me on this trip. Today is my sons birthday. I truly feel overwhelmed with joy.

Cruise ships move much faster than hurricanes. Truly.

WOW - didn't know they could outrun 130 mile an hour winds. Thanks for the insight.

I would have MUCH rather been a passenger on LOS Saturday and Sunday than been a passenger on the next cruise who was being directed to the disaster area right up until cancellation on Sunday. I have no doubt that the cruise ship itself was being well directed and never in real danger, I think you would agree with that.

You still haven't answered why it was with "passenger safety in mind" that those folks were expected to travel to the disaster area.

Expected to travel? "Wait and see" means wait and see - aka don't go anywhere. It wasn't rocket science to see that traveling right into the heart of a hurricane area might not just be a good idea, and a change in plans was forthcoming.

I am on the Liberty now. I believe the ship doctor resolved the medical issues. My husband was down there because yes, he did not pack enough medication for our extended cruise days! Lesson learned! He had to pay $88 for the office visit and the cost of medication. I do not know if we are covered for this with trip insurance or not, but it is a small price to pay. They are very well stocked with medication and were knowledgable. Other than the crowds of people in the same situation, we were thankful they were there. One of the emergencies was a gentleman with diabetes who had spiked blood sugar. I believe the doctor was able to stabilize him.

I have to say, I was feeling a little concerned that they were trying to get me off the ship for several reasons. They wanted to get the new paying customers on the ship. Also, the minute I walked down the gangway they were relieved of being responsible for me. They could take the new passengers and get out of town during the "window of opportunity" the Captain kept referring to.

I have no reason really to base those feelings. Never did he say if he got in the port we had to leave, really. I will say I truly have no clue what they were trying to do and I was right there. The crew kept telling us that they did not think we were going anywhere. They had more faith than I did. I admit I was very worried about driving home through Houston. My employer was very kind and understanding. My husband's employer was as well. Life is good and we are very grateful to be here happy and healthy!

One experience like this will not change how I feel about anything. Every single day we take a risk. I feel extremely blessed this morning as I sit on my balcony and sip coffee. All my children, their spouses and grandchildren are with me on this trip. Today is my sons birthday. I truly feel overwhelmed with joy.

Thanks for the update.

I bet your son didn't think he would be celebrating his birthday on a cruise ship.

Hope all ends well for you and your family

Thank you on many fronts - your faith, your strength, your wisdom, and your perseverance.

You are a positive force and inspiration. Your post is the finest one on this topic to date.

Travel safely and be safe.

WOW - didn't know they could outrun 130 mile an hour winds. Thanks for the insight.

Expected to travel? "Wait and see" means wait and see - aka don't go anywhere. It wasn't rocket science to see that traveling right into the heart of a hurricane area might not just be a good idea, and a change in plans was forthcoming.

The winds may be blowing that fast but the hurricane doesn't change its position anywhere near that fast which is what perditax was referring to.

As for the "wait and see" part. How long are people supposed to wait and see? No question a change in plans was forthcoming. It wasn't rocket science and RCI waiting until turn around day to announce them is sketchy at best. RCI was hoping to get the ship into port during a "window of opportunity"? Ask the people of Texas with their flooded homes and streets where that "window" was. RCI should have had more respect for the folks of Galveston and the surrounding communities who were going to have to service that ship. None of them needed that burden and RCI should have realized that long before making the official announcement. This isn't RCI's first trip to the rodeo. Of course, maybe my thinking is clouded from having lived through a few hurricanes myself.

The winds may be blowing that fast but the hurricane doesn't change its position anywhere near that fast which is what perditax was referring to.

As for the "wait and see" part. How long are people supposed to wait and see? No question a change in plans was forthcoming. It wasn't rocket science and RCI waiting until turn around day to announce them is sketchy at best. RCI was hoping to get the ship into port during a "window of opportunity"? Ask the people of Texas with their flooded homes and streets where that "window" was. RCI should have had more respect for the folks of Galveston and the surrounding communities who were going to have to service that ship. None of them needed that burden and RCI should have realized that long before making the official announcement. This isn't RCI's first trip to the rodeo. Of course, maybe my thinking is clouded from having lived through a few hurricanes myself.

Bravo!

Also, their response up until mid-afternoon SATURDAY was not "wait and see". It was "We are porting during a window we will have on Sunday to disembark and will be sailing Sunday afternoon or Monday and if you're not here too bad, so sad." That WAS telling people who didn't have trip insurance that they needed to figure out a way to get there or lose their money.

Bravo!

Also, their response up until mid-afternoon SATURDAY was not "wait and see". It was "We are porting during a window we will have on Sunday to disembark and will be sailing Sunday afternoon or Monday and if you're not here too bad, so sad." That WAS telling people who didn't have trip insurance that they needed to figure out a way to get there or lose their money.

Yes!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Forums mobile app

Of course, maybe my thinking is clouded from having lived through a few hurricanes myself.

Nope...you have good thoughts. I'd expect your experience has shown that waiting for someone else to tell you what to do in this kind of disaster might just not be the most prudent approach. Good lesson.

Bravo!

Did I just read that you are going to Miami? Good choice. Plenty of first class hotel rooms and three airports within an hour to leave from. Good Luck. Get home safely.

Did I just read that you are going to Miami? Good choice. Plenty of first class hotel rooms and three airports within an hour to leave from. Good Luck. Get home safely.

I'm not on board, but yes, Liberty is going to Miami.

I did spend a few nights in Miami and Miami Beach pre- and post-cruises in the past year though. Love that place!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And of course rapidly-changing weather conditions and updates were evolving throughout the day...so NO ONE knew what was going to happen in intimate detail and for certain, and EVERYONE would need to adapt to changing conditions. That has been the common denominator in all this. Some people chose to adapt on the own, others didn't. That's their own personal choice either way.

I'm not on board, but yes, Liberty is going to Miami.

I did spend a few nights in Miami and Miami Beach pre- and post-cruises in the past year though. Love that place!

Bless you, your attitude in this difficult situation, and all your fellow passengers. Others could learn much from how you are handling this situation.

Port's closed. Of course at this point contingencies should be known.

Most Importantly,

Prayers to all the folks of South Texas, as a Katrina survivor, we feel your pain and will do all to support, as the good people of Texas who supported us during our time of need in the Big Easy.

Cruisers on the Liberty, I know your safe, so go with the flow, it will be a great sea story for your next cruise.

As for you RC, tell the accountants to go back into their offices and do the safe, smart and right thing, instead of trying to squeeze into Galveston. It took you TOO LONG to make the right decision.

It took you days to so what Carnival did immediately, go to safe harbor, take care of your guest, cancel the next cruise and take the financial hit.

The GOOD WILL, of acting SAFELY, SMARTLY, and RAPIDY will make up for the hit on the next quarters earnings over the long run.

One mans opine, from a retired US Navy, Navigator and long time RC cruiser.

Respectfully....

As ATC, you're going to just love this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/nyregion/06plane.html?mcubz=0

I can just imagine the conversation that was going on between the other controllers in the control room while this was going on. There's a reason general aviation aircraft are called FLIB's . That stands for effing little itinerant bastard. All in good fun of coarse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most Importantly,

Prayers to all the folks of South Texas, as a Katrina survivor, we feel your pain and will do all to support, as the good people of Texas who supported us during our time of need in the Big Easy.

Cruisers on the Liberty, I know your safe, so go with the flow, it will be a great sea story for your next cruise.

As for you RC, tell the accountants to go back into their offices and do the safe, smart and right thing, instead of trying to squeeze into Galveston. It took you TOO LONG to make the right decision.

It took you days to so what Carnival did immediately, go to safe harbor, take care of your guest, cancel the next cruise and take the financial hit.

The GOOD WILL, of acting SAFELY, SMARTLY, and RAPIDY will make up for the hit on the next quarters earnings over the long run.

One mans opine, from a retired US Navy, Navigator and long time RC cruiser.

Respectfully....

I'm not sure where all of this is coming from. The Liberty and its passengers have always been taken care of and safety has never been an issue. There will be many opinions as to what is considered acting "SMARTLY" -- yours being only one of them. Since, I'm guessing you have zero experience working for a cruise line, I'd say your opinion matters much less than Royal Caribbean's. As for the "accountants" -- there is a lot more to think about than just a "financial hit" -- they also have to consider the affect of their decision on passengers who have been planning for and looking forward to a cruise vacation that is now going to be affected and/or cancelled by whatever decision is made. It's not as black and white as you would like to believe.