Shorts in dining room, first night

Tweedy

I'm planning on wearing shorts when I board the Millennium on Friday. They are black, dressy shorts and I wear them to work as they are just above my knees.

My question is would these be acceptable in the main dining room on the first night? I'm just thinking ahead in case my luggage doesn't arrive to the cabin before we leave for dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Personally, I wouldn't stress if your luggage doesn't arrive, you have no choice! I tend to pack one "dinner" outfit in each of our suitcases (4 of them) for each of us, this way if one doesn't make it, the others will have something. I started doing this after our daughters suitcase was lost by the plane prior to a cruise and all we had time for was to shop at senior frogs for her wardrobe, luckily she was only 11 at the time.

I'm planning on wearing shorts when I board the Millennium on Friday. They are black, dressy shorts and I wear them to work as they are just above my knees.

My question is would these be acceptable in the main dining room on the first night? I'm just thinking ahead in case my luggage doesn't arrive to the cabin before we leave for dinner.

According to the dress code they would not be allowed but realistically they will allow you into the dining room the first night. I always bring a pair of pants in my carry on in the event luggage does not arrive.

The staff are very understanding when the out of the ordinary happens - whether on the first night or even mid-cruise.

Several years ago we were wearing shorts on a ship's shore excursion to Monte Carlo. When the bus got stuck in traffic and we did not make it back to the ship until it was already 20 minutes into the first seating, we went directly to the MDR; they understood the situation and there was no problem with shorts at dinner given the circumstances.

My family was just on the Equinox, some of our luggage was slow to show up, so my brother spoke to the dining room staff before dinner, and was told that shorts on the first and last nights were acceptable in the main dining room. He and my young nephews paired them with nice polo shirts and dined there without any problems.

I always wear shorts the first evening in the MDR. After that we always follow the suggested dress guidelines for the MDR. Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

On the first night you should be completely fine to wear shorts if your luggage hasn't arrived yet, especially dressy ones like you describe. That said, while I take no offense personally to dressy shorts in the MDR, on Celebrity I would err on the side of conservative the other nights. Happy sailing.

For evening wear allow for:

Smart casual and above – skirt or trousers complemented by a sweater or blouse for women; or trousers with shirt, polo shirt or sweater for men. Men's shirts must have a collar and sleeves (short sleeves are fine).

The above from Celebrity before you sail information.

No mention of shorts.

Shorts on the first night are allowed in the MDR but it is supposed to be only if your luggage has not been delivered to your cabin.

Last night is also allowed with the assumption your suitcase has been packed and waiting for pickup.

BUT - neither are reasons for wearing a ball cap while you eat! :eek:

I've cruised enough to be Elite and can honestly say that I have never seen shorts in the dining room on either the first or last night of a cruise. Surely you have a carryon bag.

I always make sure that incase of delayed or lost luggage to have 1 appropriate dinner outfit, 1 set of underwear, pj's, and a bathing suite packed.

There is no reason to wear shorts unless you are tying to make a statement.

Smart casual and above – skirt or trousers complemented by a sweater or blouse for women; or trousers with shirt, polo shirt or sweater for men. Men's shirts must have a collar and sleeves (short sleeves are fine).

No mention of shorts.

As. I stated in an earlier post they are not allowed in the MDR according to Celebrity's rules. In reality there are usually quite a few in shorts mostly because they didn't get their luggage.

I'm not trying to make a statement as someone suggested. Was just asking what I thought was a simple question. It is certainly not my first cruise but we have only sailed Celebrity once (we usually sail Princess). I didn't know how lax they may be on the first night. It is my first vacation in two years so just getting my ducks in a row. Thanks for replying.

Everyone can read the policy and regardless of who has seen what, shorts happen and you will not be shown the door. Last year I completely forgot about the dress code and went to Luminae in shorts. When we were finishing dessert the Maitre-d' stopped by our table and politely reminded me of the dress code for my return the next night. I was probably more embarrassed about the event than she was having to remind me.

As. I stated in an earlier post they are not allowed in the MDR according to Celebrity's rules. In reality there are usually quite a few in shorts mostly because they didn't get their luggage.

Or... some men just don't feel like changing.;p

I've seen a few at most. At least that I've noticed at the 6:00 traditional seating. Maybe more show up for the select dining.

I've cruised enough to be Elite and can honestly say that I have never seen shorts in the dining room on either the first or last night of a cruise. Surely you have a carryon bag.

I always make sure that incase of delayed or lost luggage to have 1 appropriate dinner outfit, 1 set of underwear, pj's, and a bathing suite packed.

There is no reason to wear shorts unless you are tying to make a statement.

I've cruised 35 times with Celebrity and I can honestly say I have seen shorts in the dining room on the first night probably 75% of the time or more. I refuse to lug around all that extra clothing just in case. I always follow the dining rules (and all rules for that matter) but if Celebrity can't get my suitcase to my cabin in time for dinner then I have absolutely no issue wearing shorts and neither should anyone else in the same situation. My opinion. To each their own.

We just returned from Equinox. We saw men wearing shorts on every night of the cruise in MDR! Even on "Chic Nights"

Really surprised that they don't have any policy anymore.

I have been on 36 Celebrity cruises. Only time I have seen grown men wearing shorts in the MDR at night are the first and last nights.

I have seen men refused entry due to shorts other nights.

I have seen waiters tell men they cannot wear baseball caps at the table.

No mention of shorts.

The following link, posted by ChicagoPaul who is currently sailing on the Equinox, shows a copy of the last page of Celebrity Today on embarkation day. Note the final sentence on the bottom right of the page:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d10dc48122.jpg

As I said before, Celebrity understands the luggage delivery situation amd relaxes their dress policies on the evening of embarkation day.