Passport stamps

Mizchief224

I know the days of places stamping passports is probably behind us. But I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a way to get my passport stamped while on my cruise. We are going to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas and Amber cove.

I thought it would be cool to show the kids when we get home.

Check with guest services once you get onboard and they might be able to arrange something, but as you say stamps are on the way out. (And you likely won't get a stamp in San Juan or St Thomas since they are US territories.)

Don't know where to get them, but just realize that the more stamps you get in your passport, the sooner you will need to get either pages added or a new passport.

Good point and here in the US adding pages is no longer a possibility, you need to apply for a new passport.

I know the days of places stamping passports is probably behind us. But I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a way to get my passport stamped while on my cruise. We are going to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas and Amber cove.

Well, San Juan and St. Thomas are US territories so you won't need to get US stamps there. There is a place on Grand Turk in town that you can go to, Amber Cove is a private island type place and no immigration there.

Don't know where to get them, but just realize that the more stamps you get in your passport, the sooner you will need to get either pages added or a new passport.

US citizens cannot get pages added any longer. When it is full, you have to get a new one.

Good point and here in the US adding pages is no longer a possibility, you need to apply for a new passport.

Canada doesn't offer it either, just wasn't sure about the US.

Not sure it would be a good idea to use up passport real estate for un-needed stamps.

You can order extra pages up front

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

This is what I'm going to do, order the 56 page passport when we renew. I don't see us ever using that many pages but I'd rather have way too many than getting stuck having to order a new passport before I have to.

St. Thomas Post office will give an official passport stamp for free.

Just A couple blocks over from the ship. :D

Well, San Juan and St. Thomas are US territories so you won't need to get US stamps there. There is a place on Grand Turk in town that you can go to, Amber Cove is a private island type place and no immigration there.

You don't NEED to get a passport stamp on any closed loop cruise - and going out of your way to do so would be a waste of in-port time could wind up unnecessarily using up available pages.

However, San Juan is a port of arrival on US territory , so it is just as likely to get one there as in New York, Miami, or anywhere else.

You should not get stamps in your passport unless they are put in there by the immigration and consular officials of the foreign country you are entering.

"On Page 5 of all US Passports, in a section marked “Alteration or Mutilation of Passport,” is printed the warning that “only authorized officials of the United States or of foreign countries may place stamps or make notations or additions to this passport.” Authorized officials include US State Department staff, US Customs and Border Patrol officers, diplomatic and consular officials of foreign countries, and immigration officers at international borders."

You don't NEED to get a passport stamp on any closed loop cruise - and going out of your way to do so would be a waste of in-port time could wind up unnecessarily using up available pages.

However, San Juan is a port of arrival on US territory , so it is just as likely to get one there as in New York, Miami, or anywhere else.

Yes, but do they stamp the passports of returning US citizens?

They no longer add pages to US passports. You have to get a new one when you fill yours up.

New passports have more pages than the old ones did. IIRC 48 versus 24. In the past, you could request the larger book, if you needed it.

They no longer add pages to US passports. You have to get a new one when you fill yours up.

New passports have more pages than the old ones did. IIRC 48 versus 24. In the past, you could request the larger book, if you needed it.

I don't know where you're getting this information.

You choose whether you want a 28 page book or a 52 page book now when you apply.

Yes, but do they stamp the passports of returning US citizens?

When you return via New York they do, so why not San Juan?

It's been more years than I can remember since I've had my passport stamped in NY upon returning from a closed loop cruise, and we usually take at least 2 a year. Nor was my passport stamped in San Diego earlier this year on a open jaw cruise that started in Miami, or from an open jaw cruise that started in San Juan and ended in NY. It also wasn't stamped in NY upon return on a flight from Mexico. The only stamp in my current passport, which was a renewal issued about 5 years ago, is from Mexico upon arriving from the US by air.

Edited by njhorseman