First cruise, first impressions ...

ArtsyCraftsy

So I made it! Currently on Day 3 of the 14-day Great Alaskan Explorer aboard the Amsterdam. This is my first cruise ever, something I've wanted to do for a long time.

First impressions: very impressed with the service and overall appearance of the ship. I have nothing to compare this with, but I find it both elegant and welcoming. I splurged on a Neptune Suite -- spacious and comfortable, reminiscent of a well-cared-for classic hotel.

Food has been mostly excellent. The only exception was breakfast yesterday: room service smoked salmon eggs Benedict w/roasted potatoes. Overly salty and arrived lukewarm at best. It was a sea day so I'm sure they were slammed in the kitchen. This has been the only exception -- seriously, everything else has been excellent! OMG, the club sandwich! The best I've ever had anywhere.

Gala night #1 was last night. I have "open seating," so I wandered down to the dining room around 6:00, and was seated immediately as the 6th person at a table for 6. I'm a textbook introvert, but I do OK in smaller groups, and this was perfect. I had the prawn cocktail (superb!), the frisée salad (OK), the maple-glazed duck (perfection!!), and lemon meringue cheesecake. Oh, and a bottle of wine I'd tried at the wine tasting earlier in the day. Great conversation, wonderful service, and I still have 1/2 bottle of wine left for dinner today.

We're currently in Ketchikan -- gorgeous sunny clear day, cool temp (52F). 5b787ac2061cac094380605a6d6e778a.jpg0ca6d8f5cb878e442e75b4f7e3993764.jpg215a489a0fd166928f8949f8d711636d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='ArtsyCraftsy;54050116

Food has been mostly excellent. The only exception was breakfast yesterday: room service smoked salmon eggs Benedict w/roasted potatoes. Overly salty and arrived lukewarm at best. It was a sea day so I'm sure they were slammed in the kitchen. This has been the only exception -- seriously' date=' everything else has been excellent! OMG, the club sandwich! The best I've ever had anywhere.[/quote']

Have you tried breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill? One of the best features of sailing in a Neptune Suite. It's complimentary in a suite. Wife loves the smoked salmon there.

Off to a great start on your "Live" review.

We have done your cruise twice on the Amsterdam.

Remember -- you can go to the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast since you are in a Neptune Suite. We gave up many years ago having cabin service for anything. Breakfast cold and not everything we ordered and twice it was never delivered to the cabin in spite all of our calls and the Concierges calling a few times. Club sandwich -- ours were horrible -- glad you had a good one.

Some photos from today (Day 4). We were scheduled to go to Tracy Arm, but the captain opted for Endicott Arm instead -- better opportunities for critter watching & Dawes Glacier viewing. We weren't able to get as close to the glacier due to the iceberg field. Still memorable! 13cde6131409abe1e38f0aa163531e7a.jpgc8058e7ac71a29d5b2e8e274af7a4531.jpg

Some photos from today (Day 4). We were scheduled to go to Tracy Arm, but the captain opted for Endicott Arm instead -- better opportunities for critter watching & Dawes Glacier viewing. We weren't able to get as close to the glacier due to the iceberg field. Still memorable!1bc3a9695b1f3b9c52f903d2f49a3601.jpgf8f0d69fb9a91676cb0552ac85f82f3f.jpg8c1beb624444bea37349973d84d7e7ef.jpg

Last night I dined at Canaletto. I had reserved as a "single," and had a lovely table in a good location with a wonderful view. The food and service were outstanding. I had also pre-booked another Canaletto dinner for the 18th, and I may try for 1 or 2 more.

This morning we docked in Juneau. It's overcast and cool, but not raining. The crew had a lifeboat drill just after breakfast; interesting to see how that works. They ended up on "my side" of the ship (I'm in a port side suite).

I dunno -- I may have unleashed a monster here. I think I could definitely get used to this! I'm already making a packing list for my next cruise: I made a deposit on the 38-day Voyage of the Vikings next summer back in July on the assumption that I would like cruise travel. I'd say it was a pretty safe bet!

Sent from my iPad using Forums0e52267b3f746641ef9ab7f62641d8f3.jpg60ed3c8f4180bce12c288fb52444d29c.jpg

I'm also a huge fan of breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill, as is my bride since it gets me out of the suite so she can sleep undisturbed. Don't forget to take advantage of the unlimited laundry and dry cleaning amenity included with your Neptune. We come home with little or no laundry or dry cleaning to do. You don't have anything to compare with the NS, but from our experience, they are highly addictive and we've never looked back.

So we're having a little rough weather at the moment. Captain warned us earlier to expect it. Current wind: 42 knots (48.3 mph). Sort of like riding a bucking horse in slow motion. No seasickness, not even a hint of it, so that's a good thing. Managed to get an early supper, so don't have to be concerned about getting to/from the MDR. It's going to be a fun night -- rocking & rolling with a wicked vibration in the rhythm. Tomorrow is a sea day, so no worries. [emoji6]

So we're having a little rough weather at the moment. Captain warned us earlier to expect it. Current wind: 42 knots (48.3 mph). Sort of like riding a bucking horse in slow motion. No seasickness, not even a hint of it, so that's a good thing. Managed to get an early supper, so don't have to be concerned about getting to/from the MDR. It's going to be a fun night -- rocking & rolling with a wicked vibration in the rhythm. Tomorrow is a sea day, so no worries. [emoji6]

Gosh, I love being rocked to sleep on a ship. It's rather disappointing when there only calm water. And those "shippy", creaky sounds.

Retafcruiser

Captain Albert, in his blog, explained that the intention IS to go to Tracy Arm - the issue is that the glacier has been calving so furiously that there is too much ice in the water to safely approach ... So they substitute Endicott Arm ... Not something that can be planned for when the brochures are printed over a year in advance.

Edited by arzz
accuracy