How much cabin noise would you consider reasonable?

kaylasnana

Just came off the Dawn yesterday and we were in family suite 12030. I was so annoyed with the amount of creaking, groaning, clicking and clacking while moving. Could have cared less during the day but the nights were awful. Mentioned to the butler but knew that nothing would come of it. Got a break while docked in the Bahamas and then heard it again coming back to Boston. I've only cruised 5 times but never had this kind of noise (or really any noise). I know that this is a big mechanical vessel moving through the ocean but what is reasonable?

I personally love the creaking and humming noises especially anything coming from the engine room. On our NCL Breakaway we had a cabin on deck 5 right above the engine room and heard the gears changing of the engine as well as the study humming of the engine.

On one of our DCL cruises we went though rough seas which had the hangers in the closets clicking and clacking. We enjoyed that noise and actually slept like babies. I guess enjoy the noises of sea and ship.

The noises that bother me are noise from people passing by cabin (loud talking/yelling/running) or noise from a noisy neighbor. This seems to be an issue on DCL ships as our last DCL was miserable because of kids running/yelling/jumping in cabins beside and above us. This wasn't the first time we experienced lots of noise from neighbors on DCL but the worst out of 12 DCl cruises. On NCL ships we have never had noise issues maybe cause lots less 10 and under running and down hallways and jumping in rooms?

I always bring a white noise machine and a fan so it blocks a lot noise in the background.

It doesn't sound like you're describing foot traffic from the open deck that was directly above you. I got nothing. We've sailed on Dawn twice and didn't notice anything, but we were down a few decks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we did a Transatlantic on the NCL Jewel our cabin was very noisy at night; creaking and squeaking and groaning. It's the only time I have ever noticed that in all our cruises. We enjoyed the cruise anyway, but I did have some trouble sleeping.

I've luckily almost never been bothered by noisy neighbors.

We have been fortunate to stay in the Garden Villa (starboard side) on both the Pearl and the Jewel. Yes, there was much creaking and groaning, water sloshing sounds, cracking etc. all during the night. It was a negative for having that wonderful space. However, on deck 15 on the Getaway (starboard side) Haven 1 br January 2017, we experienced an awlful banging sound on the ceiling near the balcony door for a couple of days early in the week. I will say that we were experiencing strong winds those days with several decks being closed to the public. I always bring earplugs, but even with a pillow on my head, the noise kept me from sleeping well. I don't think NCL could have made the sounds go away, I think it is just a part of cruising you may experience. We have the Garden Villa booked for Thanksgiving this year. We know the cruise will not be the one we booked due to the hurricane. I've prepared myself for some noise from the suite and have purchased a white noise machine to help with the sounds I'm not used to hearing at home. Being able to cruise is a luxury, in a perfect cabin there would be no noise, bit I've accepted the fact that it won't be the same as at home and I'm willing to have the noises in exchange for being on the water.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

We have been fortunate to stay in the Garden Villa (starboard side) on both the Pearl and the Jewel. Yes, there was much creaking and groaning, water sloshing sounds, cracking etc. all during the night. It was a negative for having that wonderful space. However, on deck 15 on the Getaway (starboard side) Haven 1 br January 2017, we experienced an awlful banging sound on the ceiling near the balcony door for a couple of days early in the week. I will say that we were experiencing strong winds those days with several decks being closed to the public. I always bring earplugs, but even with a pillow on my head, the noise kept me from sleeping well. I don't think NCL could have made the sounds go away, I think it is just a part of cruising you may experience. We have the Garden Villa booked for Thanksgiving this year. We know the cruise will not be the one we booked due to the hurricane. I've prepared myself for some noise from the suite and have purchased a white noise machine to help with the sounds I'm not used to hearing at home. Being able to cruise is a luxury, in a perfect cabin there would be no noise, bit I've accepted the fact that it won't be the same as at home and I'm willing to have the noises in exchange for being on the water.

I forgot to add it is on the Dawn out of Puerto Rico. We are celebrating LIFE! My youngest kicked cancers a$$ last year and our group of 16 friends and family will make good use of the G.V. space during the week. Lord help me, 10 young adults between the ages of 21 and 26. I will NEED the good sleep!

Just left the Dawn Garden Villa 14500 - it's a great suite and you'll love it! I did hear some noises - higher wind moving some of the chairs one night, maintenance doors shutting and some other things I couldn't identify, but I didn't think it was awful at all. I had the TV on low and slept through the night. However, we sailed with 4 adults and a 2 and 4 year old who we worked on tiring out so they slept well every night (in fact one night the 2 year old put herself to bed!). I'm thinking you might not have that luxury, but thank heavens you'll have a healthy young adult making a ton of noise! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just came off the Dawn yesterday and we were in family suite 12030. I was so annoyed with the amount of creaking, groaning, clicking and clacking while moving. Could have cared less during the day but the nights were awful. Mentioned to the butler but knew that nothing would come of it. Got a break while docked in the Bahamas and then heard it again coming back to Boston. I've only cruised 5 times but never had this kind of noise (or really any noise). I know that this is a big mechanical vessel moving through the ocean but what is reasonable?

It's the age factor.

I don't have any experience on NCL ships recently, but I find that the older the ship the more it creaks and groans. Not always, but I expect it with an older ship. I don't mind wind, waves crashing against the side of the ship, engine hum and vibration, etc. The loud cracks can wake me up, but I can live with it. The thing that really annoys me is people slamming door. I don't understand why people can't close their doors without slamming them. Also, people who slam their drawers and doors inside their cabins. It's inconsiderate.

Kinda goes with the territory. Like hearing crickets when camping. Next time ear plugs or headphones?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds pretty normal for a cruise ship. You are on a moving machine, not a bed in your house.

On a last minute cruise a while back we were allocated a cabin pretty much onboard. Got back from muster drill to be greeted by the bass sound of the theatre entertainment so loud it was difficult to think. We were then told that it would be an ongoing thing from four in the afternoon right through to the end of the shows. The purser did ask the band to lower the volume but it didn't make any difference. My DW was ready to get off the ship there and then but happily we were reallocated another cabin which was 100% satisfactory. We have learnt since then to book specific cabins.

It's the age factor.

That is really funny, and I don't think some got it!! I am more like snap, crackle, pop!!

We have been in cabins with "noises" that drive me crazy. I usually tie the hangers together in the closet, as that sound keeps me up. I have also stuck tissue/pieces of cardboard in areas where I have heard creaking, which seems to help. My family laughs at me as I slink around the cabin tracking down these noises, but I am a light sleeper and it works for me!

I was on the Dawn last week as well, in cabin 10608. I was surprised how quiet it was on deck 10. I read some reviews that said the walls were paper thin and I was concerned because I also had an adjoining door. But, never had a problem. I don't recall any ship noises other than a drawer that kept opening and closing on one of the sea days and the ship's fog horn on some days. But I sleep with the TV on so I'm probably not bothered by noises in the night.

We had an incredibly noisy cabin on the Disney Fantasy last year.

Not an old ship.

We were on the aft, so I have no idea if that contributed. The usual aft cabin vibrations and such weren't much of a problem, but the creaking and squeaking and groaning of the furniture was pretty bad. I couldn't pinpoint any one area to wedge cardboard or ask for wd40, so we just tried to put up with it but between the intermittently sleeping 19 month old and the creaky squeaking closets, we were totally exhausted by the time we came home.

Most noises don't bother me except banging cabinet doors, when hinges get old and can't hold as well as when new.

I always have a small roll of Gorilla tape in my luggage, great for fixing a broken zipper, seal up toiletries that might leak, etc., but have taped some cabinet doors or made a wad to shim up a rattling vent cover, etc. normal ship noises don't bother me though,

If the noise is as you describe, then any amount is acceptable. That is one of the risks that you face on any moving vessel, whether it be a car, a ship, a plane etc. I am sorry that it bothered you but that is one of the risks of sailing. Your cabin might have been a little worse because it looks like it might be were two of the sections of the ship join.

Just an FYI, I always have some foam ear plugs along that I typically use at concerts. Very inexpensive and comfortable. I know it is not something that you should have to do on a cruise, but when dealing with noises that are out of anyone's control they might be useful in teh future.