Business or Passengers

gibsonsgolfer

Cruise companies are businesses that succeed largely by catering to passenger needs. Right now some believe that Princess is putting business ahead of passengers by continuing to include San Juan as a port call on October 10. Many are of the opinion that they are using this opportunity to drop off supplies for the rebuilding of the Carnival company’s spot there without regard for the paying passenger. What do you think.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruise companies are businesses that succeed largely by catering to passenger needs. Right now some believe that Princess is putting business ahead of passengers by continuing to include San Juan as a port call on October 10. Many are of the opinion that they are using this opportunity to drop off supplies for the rebuilding of the Carnival company’s spot there without regard for the paying passenger. What do you think.

Your post is short of details! Please lighten me as to which Princess ships call at San Juan in 3 weeks?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Already covered in your cruise contract. Princess has the right to decide which port to go and you agreed to the deal.
Princess also has the right, and in some cases the obligation, to deliver humanitarian aid.

God knows Puerto Rico needs it right now, and if a Princess ship were able to deliver water and fuel that would be a boon.

The missing background information: on Caribbean Princess' October 7 Circle Caribbean cruise, the call at St Thomas was replaced by San Juan after Hurricane Irma struck the USVI. According to the Hurricane Advisories on the Princess web site

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/caribbean_update/

...Princess is sticking to the belief that the dock in San Juan will be usable by the scheduled October 10 call. Clearly this situation is still fluid. But given that the original port for that date was already scuttled, one can imagine the most likely alternative to the substitution of San Juan for St Thomas would simply be another sea day. So I don't get what the fuss is all about.

But I have to chuckle at the OP's original premise of Business or Passengers:

Cruise lines, like all publicly traded for-profit companies, succeed by catering to their stockholders.

So perhaps you are correct in stating that the San Juan call (should it remain, which is still up in the air) exists more for Carnival Corp to measure the state of the infrastructure than for the accommodation of booked passengers.

But should you be promoted to Captain for a day--or better yet, that day's schedule be put up to a vote of the heretofore "disregarded" passengers--what would you propose the CB be doing on October 10? You've got 3100 fellow passengers anxiously waiting for your announcement, Captain.

I believe the CB's 10/10 stop may be the first Princess ship to go this season to San Juan. So, yes, it's an opportunity to do recon/drop supplies to rebuild corporate assets there. It also makes for a good PR opportunity for Princess ... pax might be encouraged to donate for water delivery to the islanders (at $6.90/12 pack ... really?) or to do shorex that assist in storm damage cleanup or help the residents in some way. Makes for great publicity for Princess.

If San Juan remains on our itinerary, I plan to treat 10/10 as a sea day. I have no interest to gawk and stare at the devastation and the residents' misery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

"Caribbean Princess: October 7 Caribbean Cruise

We have learned that recovery efforts in the Old San Juan area are looking positive. Therefore, we intend to continue with the call to San Juan on October 10 and will keep you advised of any changes that arise."

Believe most passengers will be pleased to assist the recovery efforts even if it is in a small way. Also feel Princess will not gain any additional income from the stop. They will probably lose potential income on tours which will not be available very far outside of Old San Juan. I think you will find cruise ships will also stop at St. Thomas and St. Maarten once the ports open.

"Caribbean Princess: October 7 Caribbean Cruise

We have learned that recovery efforts in the Old San Juan area are looking positive. Therefore, we intend to continue with the call to San Juan on October 10 and will keep you advised of any changes that arise."

Believe most passengers will be pleased to assist the recovery efforts even if it is in a small way. Also feel Princess will not gain any additional income from the stop. They will probably lose potential income on tours which will not be available very far outside of Old San Juan. I think you will find cruise ships will also stop at St. Thomas and St. Maarten once the ports open.

The reasons stated looks clear to me.

Thanks for the early responses. I did not say that I, personally, do not support the current decision to offer aid and assistance. It is interesting to me to read read some who are negative towards me for asking for opinions. I do understand my contract with Princess. I also, as a shareholder appreciate the comments about this being a positive for the company in terms of PR. Cheers, Bob

I'd be pleased to be making that stop IF we were allowed to volunteer our services. They could put those that wanted to help in organized groups to assist in any way - even small ways. I'd be willing to clean streets, pass out water, assist in setting up shelters, whatever is needed. I'd consider it a day well done if that happened.

I'd be pleased to be making that stop IF we were allowed to volunteer our services. They could put those that wanted to help in organized groups to assist in any way - even small ways. I'd be willing to clean streets, pass out water, assist in setting up shelters, whatever is needed. I'd consider it a day well done if that happened.

I think we would end up in the way. Even those simple things will take some training. Lots of standing water, lots if mosquitoes, lots of bad air from flooding. The streets, if like Marathon in the Keys need chain saws to clear. Teaching how to set up shelters takes time, and what happens if cruisers are injured? I think we should drop the stuff off and then the ship should get out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What do I think? I think you are using 'some believe' and 'Many are of the opinion', to buttress your own opinion.

I am also on the Oct. 10th stop at San Juan and am not against helping people but not at the cost to my own safety and health. This is my only vacation for the year and I had planned to relax and enjoy it and not have to worry about getting off the ship at a port stop or worrying about mosquitoes finding me even on the ship.

Understandable. I would try to cancel and book something else unless you would lose alot of money,, You are already within the 60 day window, right? Do you have insurance?

It is too late to cancel my cruise! I really do not want to cancel since most of the other ports are open and the islands have not been affected.

My only problem is with the decision to stop at San Juan where I cannot believe the ship will be able to offer any excursions and wonder if it is even safe to get off to DIY.

And yes, I do have insurance but hope I will not need to use it due to a trip to the doctor on-board.

That would be a fabulous idea!! I absolutely would be interested in a "humanitarian" cruise. Every little bit helps in the recovery.

Understandable. I would try to cancel and book something else unless you would lose alot of money,, You are already within the 60 day window, right? Do you have insurance?

I have insurance and I have no intention of canceling. San Juan is one of 14 days. However there are lots of places that need help, so some people could prob cancel and use their vacation time getting to those areas to help. I'll leave it to those who are trained. It would prob take time to train so you might want to spend more than a few days. My nieces home is so bad they are wearing respirators while they clean. People from the Morman church are helping.. that might be a group that would welcome help.

I'm on the side of disappointed if we are doing more than a drop off. I've read the write ups. Looting is not something I want to put myself in the way off.

I think we would end up in the way. Even those simple things will take some training. Lots of standing water, lots if mosquitoes, lots of bad air from flooding. The streets, if like Marathon in the Keys need chain saws to clear. Teaching how to set up shelters takes time, and what happens if cruisers are injured? I think we should drop the stuff off and then the ship should get out of the way.

I agree that would be the easiest solution but I wouldn't mind doing more. It takes no training to hand out water bottles, sweep streets, clean and restock shelter bathrooms and unfold cots. But, the cruise lines aren't in the business to do this so it makes sense that they won't. Just dropping off supplies is better than nothing.

I have mixed feelings on this. If Princess is going there so soon in order to provide aid, great. On the other hand, I'm not sure a cruise ship full of vacationers pulling in is such a great idea. I have co-workers in PR who have only been able to communicate via sat phone. They're living on cots in a building that was flooded out right next to the port. No power. Mass hysteria is starting to take place, and there is now a fear of a typhoid outbreak. Seeing a couple thousand people on a cruise ship living the life of luxury might be a bit of a slap in the face right now.

Just my opinion. I only come to this opinion from having been a major hurricane victim myself, and from having worked so many hurricane aftermaths.

I have mixed feelings on this. If Princess is going there so soon in order to provide aid, great. On the other hand, I'm not sure a cruise ship full of vacationers pulling in is such a great idea. I have co-workers in PR who have only been able to communicate via sat phone. They're living on cots in a building that was flooded out right next to the port. No power. Mass hysteria is starting to take place, and there is now a fear of a typhoid outbreak. Seeing a couple thousand people on a cruise ship living the life of luxury might be a bit of a slap in the face right now.

Just my opinion. I only come to this opinion from having been a major hurricane victim myself, and from having worked so many hurricane aftermaths.

Yes, optics are important ... and I suppose Princess has re-assessed, as I have just received email notification that 10/10 will be a sea day rather than a San Juan port call.

I agree that much help is needed there ... and I am hopeful that the island will get all the aid they require. Unfortunately, there is no cheap/quick fix.