Royal Caribbean*total lack of empathy*towards hurricane victims

orcien

It appears that our fellow cruisers at RCCL have no sympathy whatsoever towards others. At least most that have posted in this thread. Shame on all of you. Because YOU spent money on insurance, you feel that exceptions should not be made. You're putting $$$ before humanity and you are showing your true colors. Simply pout, people are hurting.... badly. Living in Houston, there are people that have no place to even go. There home was flooded, FEMA has cut them off from hotels, and there are thousands & thousands of people that are hurting.

To the OP, I hope all works out for you in the end.

To the posters in this thread, please attempt to be kind today to at least one stranger.

The OP said this was his first cruise, and may now be his last because of the expensive life lesson. I'm just pointing out that he would have had to learn this lesson if he had arrangements other than a cruise as well. European tour, all-inclusive resort, African safari - whatever the trip may be, trip insurance covers you in the event you cannot travel for a specific set of reasons. There is a VERY wide variety of companies and policies so that you can get the coverage that's right for you without all of the things you don't need.

I do understand the OP wanting RCCL to make an exception in his case. I understand that his situation sucks. I can even understand being frustrated with the agents on the phone, their lack of ability to help him, or their tone. What I can't understand is expecting the cruise line to provide you with the benefits of an insurance policy that you did not purchase. I am one who always purchases trip insurance. If they were to begin giving travelers refunds for all of the covered reasons (and let's face it: fatal illness, deaths in the family, hurricanes, etc are ALL horrible and evoke sympathy, but they are exactly the reasons people buy insurance), I would want my money back for all of the times I've purchased it - since it appears people don't need it.

No. No you don't understand. Although you sincerely think you do. But clearly you don't.

It appears that our fellow cruisers at RCCL have no sympathy whatsoever towards others. At least most that have posted in this thread. Shame on all of you. Because YOU spent money on insurance, you feel that exceptions should not be made. You're putting $$$ before humanity and you are showing your true colors. Simply pout, people are hurting.... badly. Living in Houston, there are people that have no place to even go. There home was flooded, FEMA has cut them off from hotels, and there are thousands & thousands of people that are hurting.

To the OP, I hope all works out for you in the end.

To the posters in this thread, please attempt to be kind today to at least one stranger.

Well said. I agree with your post.

The OP said this was his first cruise, and may now be his last because of the expensive life lesson. I'm just pointing out that he would have had to learn this lesson if he had arrangements other than a cruise as well. European tour, all-inclusive resort, African safari - whatever the trip may be, trip insurance covers you in the event you cannot travel for a specific set of reasons. There is a VERY wide variety of companies and policies so that you can get the coverage that's right for you without all of the things you don't need.

I do understand the OP wanting RCCL to make an exception in his case. I understand that his situation sucks. I can even understand being frustrated with the agents on the phone, their lack of ability to help him, or their tone. What I can't understand is expecting the cruise line to provide you with the benefits of an insurance policy that you did not purchase. I am one who always purchases trip insurance. If they were to begin giving travelers refunds for all of the covered reasons (and let's face it: fatal illness, deaths in the family, hurricanes, etc are ALL horrible and evoke sympathy, but they are exactly the reasons people buy insurance), I would want my money back for all of the times I've purchased it - since it appears people don't need it.

Very well said, especially the part in parentheses. I've never bought insurance, but I fully understand that if something happened that prevented me from wanting to or being able to go on a cruise, I know that it would be my loss. I'm fully aware of the risks, and I accept that.

I guess I am not really empathetic as I would never book a cruise during hurricane season without purchasing insurance. Even if this is the OP's first cruise, I find it hard to believe she/he wasn't offered insurance when the cruise was booked.

I lived in FL for many years and had severe damage to our house from 3 hurricanes in 2005 and I know it took quite a while for the insurance adjusters to settle our claim. I don't see why Royal Caribbean should have to eat the expense of the cruise because you were impacted by a hurricane. They didn't cause it.

I have sailed on several cruises where the ports I paid for were either changed to less desirable ports or we had an extra sea day or two. There is nothing that I could/would do about it because it was done for my safety or safety of the ship. If ports are damaged, how do you expect the cruise line to still go there?

I know the cost of Eastern Caribbean cruises are usually higher than Western, but sometimes it's necessary to make those changes and should you have paid for the Western cruise and the ports weren't available, so you were changed to Eastern, the cruise line doesn't have you pay a higher rate, so it works both ways.

I know that nothing is going to change your mind about cruising, and I understand your disappointment, but, honestly, you could have protected yourself for a minimal charge and you chose not to. Insurance is, to me, part of the price of the cruise, but, to others, it's an unnecessary expense---that is until you need it and don't have it.

Explaining that this problem is one of the myriad reasons to have purchased trip insurance is not being unkind.

If exceptions are to be made for this, where does it end? What ends up being the point of insurance?

I buy the insurance (when I buy it) for ALL the just in case reasons.

If I get sick or MIL does. If we have a water leak just before we go. If Mt Rainier blows and we're mired in the lahar mud flow and I can't get to the airport. If there's an earthquake and I can't get out. Etc. these are the reasons I buy the insurance. Having a hurricane go through and a damaged house is a reason to buy the insurance agreed of time. First cruise or 89th, things happen, and that's why one buys the insurance.

The exceptions they make are for when NO ONE can go. When they cancel the cruise. When the airport is shut down. Etc.

It's not for when *some* people have had issues. That's an insurance thing.

And it's not unsympathetic, unempathetic, or unkind to say so.

Explaining that this problem is one of the myriad reasons to have purchased trip insurance is not being unkind.

If exceptions are to be made for this, where does it end? What ends up being the point of insurance?

I buy the insurance (when I buy it) for ALL the just in case reasons.

If I get sick or MIL does. If we have a water leak just before we go. If Mt Rainier blows and we're mired in the lahar mud flow and I can't get to the airport. If there's an earthquake and I can't get out. Etc. these are the reasons I buy the insurance. Having a hurricane go through and a damaged house is a reason to buy the insurance agreed of time. First cruise or 89th, things happen, and that's why one buys the insurance.

The exceptions they make are for when NO ONE can go. When they cancel the cruise. When the airport is shut down. Etc.

It's not for when *some* people have had issues. That's an insurance thing.

And it's not unsympathetic, unempathetic, or unkind to say so.

You're preaching to the choir about insurance. You're speaking to one off' exceptions. Death, loss of job, blah, blah, blah. This is NOT the case. Thousands of homes were destroyed. THOUSANDS. Of course exceptions can, should and has been made. Some are acting as if RCCL does not do this... and if you believe this, you are wrong on this as well. RCCL does make exceptions. Has made exceptions, and will continue to do so in the future as well. So get off the insurance issue and move over to the fact the many zip codes have been declared a FEDERAL DISASTER AREA. RCCL themselves have had to make cancellations etc. This not my "Can I have an exception to not making this cruise because my Mother N Law died?" Come on folks.... surely you aren't so damn wound up that you can't have empathy for your fellow man, woman, and child. But I'm pretty sure some are. Shame on those. I only hope Karma doesn't bite you on the butt.

You're preaching to the choir about insurance. You're speaking to one off' exceptions. Death, loss of job, blah, blah, blah. This is NOT the case. Thousands of homes were destroyed. THOUSANDS. Of course exceptions can, should and has been made. Some are acting as if RCCL does not do this... and if you believe this, you are wrong on this as well. RCCL does make exceptions. Has made exceptions, and will continue to do so in the future as well. So get off the insurance issue and move over to the fact the many zip codes have been declared a FEDERAL DISASTER AREA. RCCL themselves have had to make cancellations etc. This not my "Can I have an exception to not making this cruise because my Mother N Law died?" Come on folks.... surely you aren't so damn wound up that you can't have empathy for your fellow man, woman, and child. But I'm pretty sure some are. Shame on those. I only hope Karma doesn't bite you on the butt.

So the damage to this home is sadder than the loss of a loved one? I’m sure just as many cruisers had to cancel for a death in the family as those who had homes damaged by hurricanes. My mom had to cancel her cruise due to a cancer diagnosis, she passed away before her cruise date anyway. If my dad didn’t have insurance, should he have been given a free one? He’d much rather have his home damaged than lose the love of his life.

To the OP: I'm sorry the hurricane had a devastating impact on your home. I can relate. In March of 2010, my apartment flooded, and I literally lost everything except what I had carried out during the evacuation. It sucks.

But....here's the lesson I also learned. I didn't have renter's insurance. Let me tell you, I do now! It was a difficult and expensive lesson to learn, but it didn't stop me from renting another apartment, just as your decision not to purchase travel insurance should not affect your decision on whether or not to cruise again.

Is this cruise what you expected? Heck no! I'm going on Oasis in November, and my itinerary is COMPLETELY different from what I booked. Ok, fine. I'm still going on Oasis. I'm still going to be on vacation. I'm still going to be someplace warmer than home, and my office can't reach me. This is part of cruising...you have to be flexible. My first cruise to Bermuda was also affected by a hurricane, and we were re-routed to the Bahamas instead. Again, we were still on vacation, on a beautiful ship, and my office couldn't reach me.

To those who think no one here has any sympathy: of course we do. BUT, here are the facts of this situation, and if anyone has a good argument for an exception after considering this, I'd like to hear it.1) the trip in question is during hurricane season. 2) the OP is from Southern Florida, where people know exactly what can happen during hurricane season. This isn't someone from California who has never seen a hurricane...this is a Floridian. 3) Floridian books a Caribbean cruise, during hurricane season, and declines travel insurance. 4) Guess what...hurricane hits, and now the cruiser wants compensation...by the cruise line???

I'm sorry, and yes, this may be an expensive lesson. But, this is also why I would never, ever, EVER travel without insurance, ESPECIALLY during hurricane season.

Royal Caribbean has a total lack of empathy towards customers that have booked trips and have been impacted by Hurricane Irma.

I am very angry and disappointed in the way that your Royal Caribbean is handling this situation. I am also sadden that they don't have any type of alternative options for us. It shows a lack of empathy and total disregard for customers like myself.

This is a very interesting and educational thread, and points out exactly why one should purchase trip insurance for a vacation; cruise or land. I am sympathetic to the OP’s plight and thankfully they did not loose more; like those the middle Keys, Houston, Puerto Rico and St Maarten. Some folks lost everything.

In the end I don’t see what RCI has done wrong here. Perhaps they could have let folks reschedule cruises on similar or like cruises. But to make an exception in this case, where do you draw the line?

I had a close call on possibly having to cancel a cruise due to a death in the family. I didn’t think a second about possibly having to cancel because I had insurance. So when should one be able to be awarded an exception to the final payment policy? Death, Hurricane, Earthquake or some other Force Majeure?

I am perplexed at the second to last sentence in the OP:

“I am very angry and disappointed in the way that your Royal Caribbean is handling this situation.” I don’t think this is a typo. Not defending others previous combative posts here, but instead of asking for help here from others, the OP’s remark seems intended to incite a heated cruise critic discussion, which it has.

Good Luck

So the damage to this home is sadder than the loss of a loved one? I’m sure just as many cruisers had to cancel for a death in the family as those who had homes damaged by hurricanes. My mom had to cancel her cruise due to a cancer diagnosis, she passed away before her cruise date anyway. If my dad didn’t have insurance, should he have been given a free one? He’d much rather have his home damaged than lose the love of his life.

Who said it was sadder? Is this how you are measuring your empathy. The fact is Mother N Laws die daily. Car accidents happen hourly. Cancer is found daily. People lose jobs every day. Hurricanes do not wipe out entire blocks of multiple zip codes daily.

“I am very angry and disappointed in the way that your Royal Caribbean is handling this situation.” I don’t think this is a typo. Not defending others previous combative posts here, but instead of asking for help here from others, the OP’s remark seems intended to incite a heated cruise critic discussion, which it has.

The "shame on you" comments directed at those who are not expressing unqualified empathy for OP has me puzzled.

I fail to see how piling onto criticism of the cruise line helps anyone. Yes it would be nice if RC helped the OP out, but for some reason or another it didn't happen in this case and that's what insurance is for. For what it is worth, I have relatives who own a U.S. operated timeshare in the U.S. Virgin Islands and they can't use it until at least 2019 due to the damage there - no compensation is being offered other than to bank the credits for 2019 to 2021. The storms have caused a huge economic disturbance and not everyone is going to get what they paid for, whether or not you suffered other storm-related losses.

If you're referring to "why should anyone buy it"? My point was, why should I spend money on insurance if I expect to be reimbursed without it. As in, why should anyone bother if those that didnt' buy it expect to be treated as if they did?

I didn't buy insurance on our first cruise. It was offered and I thought why would I even need it? There were two medical emergencies on our first cruise and I have always bought it after that.

I was certainly glad that I purchased it for our very expensive B2B in a suite for our 25th anniversary. Turns out I injured my eye terribly and couldn't fly. We got all out money back.

As for the itinerary, my next cruise has been bumped from Ponce, PR, St. Thomas and St. Kitts. I thought we could at least make it to St. Croix and St. Kitts. Instead we are headed to Coco Cay and Aruba. Not thrilled, but they can change the itinerary at any time.

It appears that our fellow cruisers at RCCL have no sympathy whatsoever towards others. At least most that have posted in this thread.

If you want sympathy or assistance, don't be nasty to the people or organization you want help from. Think about it.

I agree... to an extent. I mean we always have insurance. Always. But exceptions can be for humanity purposes. This is not a situation that they can't go on a vacation because of a change of plans at work, a divorce, or whatever. This was a major hurricane that destroyed homes of their customers and also ports that they offered. If they had to make changes, they should expect others need to do the same.

They won't though. They got the money. I have a feeling if their policy was to pat upon boarding, they'd make exceptions! Ha! As they would want that money! Ha!

B

otttom line is they are a business enterprise and their business is to make money. We are all responsible for our own actions and that means----our responsibility to buy trip insurance.

In life, one has to make many decisions and those decisions are solely the responsibility of the one making them.

If the decision is not to cruise or cruise for whatever reason, the assumption of the results of the decision does not get passed off to another entity nor should that other entity be expected to make it all better.

It is time to pull up the big girl or boy pants and make the decision without whining about whatever special treatment you think you are owned.

Ah yes, you are correct. I misinterpreted what I read.

In any event, the statement that they are not an American company is obviously incorrect.

They are not an American company, they are headquartered in America. There is a reason why they do not have to follow American Labor Laws.

Who said it was sadder? Is this how you are measuring your empathy. The fact is Mother N Laws die daily. Car accidents happen hourly. Cancer is found daily. People lose jobs every day. Hurricanes do not wipe out entire blocks of multiple zip codes daily.

For the individuals, loosing a loved one is much worse than having their house damaged. Property can be replaced, friends/family members cannot.

While it would have been nice for the op to have RCI eat the cost of the risk they took, if they don't do it (which they really have no need to), it should not be seen as a huge negative imo. People can be empathetic for their plight, while also not thinking that they should be rewarded for taking a risk. Dealing with the consequences of your actions is something everybody should be taught early in life. If you make a decision, even if the outcome is bad, take that as a life lesson, and learn from it. This is exactly what trip insurance is for, and is exactly who is paying out. In this case, the OP decided to self-insure, and now is being paid by that insurance policy (his own bank account).

People seem to think that money can just be printed by a for-profit business. If they allow everybody effected (many could claim, even if their house had no damage) to get paid back, that money has to come from somewhere, and would be passed onto the shareholders, and possibly to other cruisers to make up for it in the form of higher fees, lower service, or higher fares. RCI is loosing lots of money in this as well, and that is their risk of doing business.