How much time per day do you use your balcony - poll

LMaxwell

There is nothing better to watch the sunrise at sea - which cannot be properly done through a small window. Then, coffee on a sunny balcony is a good way to start the day. A mid-morning doze ( hopefully catching some rays) is a good use for a balcony, An afternoon glass of wine, listening to the sea. Checking the night sky for stars, or looking down the path of light from the rising moon.

There are many uses for a balcony.

I understand the point you're making, but to play devil's advocate, all of the things you name can be enjoyed by anyone without a balcony cabin simply by finding a spot on the public decks. I've enjoyed many a sunset with a glass of wine at a comfortable outdoor aft bar, and taken countless naps on a lounger on a covered deck when my eyes got heavy from reading or watching the ocean.

On one cruise, we had an officer who was into astronomy -- he volunteered to meet groups on the uppermost deck and even got all but the most essential navigational lights turned off so we could really see the stars. Much better than I ever was able to see them from a balcony.

Come to think of it, there are probably only a small handful of activities for which a private balcony could not be replaced by a public deck. ;)

I understand the point you're making, but to play devil's advocate, all of the things you name can be enjoyed by anyone without a balcony cabin simply by finding a spot on the public decks. I've enjoyed many a sunset with a glass of wine at a comfortable outdoor aft bar, and taken countless naps on a lounger on a covered deck when my eyes got heavy from reading or watching the ocean.

On one cruise, we had an officer who was into astronomy -- he volunteered to meet groups on the uppermost deck and even got all but the most essential navigational lights turned off so we could really see the stars. Much better than I ever was able to see them from a balcony.

Come to think of it, there are probably only a small handful of activities for which a private balcony could not be replaced by a public deck. ;)

All the places you mention can be visited by anyone but your private balcony is yours exclusively.

On our honeymoon, we spent every morning on our balcony, eating breakfast, drinking coffee, etc. I also spent time on it reading, whale watching, playing cards, or just enjoying the sea air. I love having it as our own space, and not having to go up on deck and trying to find a spot. Of course there Are also plenty of times when I want to be around the people, music and activities on the deck too! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our honeymoon, we spent every morning on our balcony, eating breakfast, drinking coffee, etc. I also spent time on it reading, whale watching, playing cards, or just enjoying the sea air. I love having it as our own space, and not having to go up on deck and trying to find a spot. Of course there Are also plenty of times when I want to be around the people, music and activities on the deck too! [emoji2]

You made good use of your balcony.

We have sunbathed on our balcony in the past.

Perhaps the question should be how many times have you stood outside on your balcony and not seen another soul either above below or side to side. Quite often in our case and yet you all say you’re out there morning noon and night.

You've obviously not been near us but i agree it is only certain times of the day mainly when the ship is leaving port that you see a lot of people on their balcony.

You've obviously not been near us but i agree it is only certain times of the day mainly when the ship is leaving port that you see a lot of people on their balcony.

Agree! We seldom use ours except to walk outside if we happen to be in our cabin when the ship is leaving port.

Still, having a balcony is worth it just to be able go directly outside from our cabin anytime we wish.

Yes .. for us it’s essential to have that open door to bring in light and fresh air. Sleeping to the sound of the waves is a real bonus if the weather allows.

After all how many hotels would stay open if they only had inside rooms. No window... no customers.

Perhaps the question should be how many times have you stood outside on your balcony and not seen another soul either above below or side to side. Quite often in our case and yet you all say you’re out there morning noon and night. ��

Many times - but then I do not spend much of my time on the balcony looking towards other balconies - if your interest is the sea, the sunset, a distant island, occupied or vacant balconies, which are barely within your peripheral vision, are not noticed.

In fact, the only times I might even be likely to see if there are people on their balconies would be when I am watching mooring or casting off operations (possibly some last minute runners) - and then there usually are others to be seen.

I get up nearly every morning to enjoy the sunrise on my balcony in my pjs. In second I’m out of bed and outside. No need to dress or take stairs or elevators. No need to interact with others before I’ve had coffee. And once the sun’s up I go back to bed!

While I’m getting ready for dinner I pop in and out in various stages of getting dressed. Can’t do that in an interior.

On our river cruise I was up and out on our balcony each time we went through a lock in the middle of the night!

I will always get a balcony!

We are definitely balcony patrons. If not in bad weather, I am out first thing every morning and usually before going to bed. In the morning, first breakfast in pj's on 'at sea' days is a must for us, but that is likely after I have already been out enjoying the early morning artistry of clouds, the incredible Caribbean water, and the changing sky as the colorful crown of the sun begins to break over the horizon.

As far as other balcony patrons, I usually try to give them the same privacy we enjoy and while I agree you will see more of your balcony neighbors when entering or leaving a port, there are many that enjoy a spectacular sunset or sunrise, cruising past another island, or just random enjoyment of beautiful weather, peaceful solitude, and maybe with a side of a favorite cocktail.

All that said, we would rather be on a cruise than in Northeast Ohio from November to April. So while we prefer the balconies, if the stateroom was the deciding point whether budget or availability, we would gladly cruise in an inside cabin.:D

For those that like to go on the balcony less than fully clothed, I recommend checking to see if your balcony is facing the sea, or another ship, or a condo building.

Even better is the maintenance crew. :eek:

LOL, reminds me of opening the curtains after docking in St. Thomas to discover the crew on the bridge of a Celebrity ship looking down on us. "Look honey, there is a ship in our back yard!".

I read the question as more of quality of time on the balcony vs. quantity of time. We typically get an aft baloney and eat breakfast on it just about every morning. There is nothing like enjoying breakfast as ship slowly sails into port to dock. Alaska is the best.

Burt

Weather permitting, I would use my veranda every day, and probably several times a day, depending upon port calls and my plans for the day.

Truly enjoy sitting on the veranda during sailaway from a port with a glass of a good Sauvignon Blanc and some snacks.

Night-time, I also enjoy being out on the veranda for awhile observing the magnificence of the night sky.

We are definitely balcony patrons. If not in bad weather, I am out first thing every morning and usually before going to bed. In the morning, first breakfast in pj's on 'at sea' days is a must for us, but that is likely after I have already been out enjoying the early morning artistry of clouds, the incredible Caribbean water, and the changing sky as the colorful crown of the sun begins to break over the horizon.

As far as other balcony patrons, I usually try to give them the same privacy we enjoy and while I agree you will see more of your balcony neighbors when entering or leaving a port, there are many that enjoy a spectacular sunset or sunrise, cruising past another island, or just random enjoyment of beautiful weather, peaceful solitude, and maybe with a side of a favorite cocktail.

All that said, we would rather be on a cruise than in Northeast Ohio from November to April. So while we prefer the balconies, if the stateroom was the deciding point whether budget or availability, we would gladly cruise in an inside cabin.:D

Balcony every time for us.

We love the fresh air, breakfast on the balcony,sailaway, sunbathing, looking at the sea, looking at the stars at night with a hot chocolate.

Many times - but then I do not spend much of my time on the balcony looking towards other balconies - if your interest is the sea, the sunset, a distant island, occupied or vacant balconies, which are barely within your peripheral vision, are not noticed.

In fact, the only times I might even be likely to see if there are people on their balconies would be when I am watching mooring or casting off operations (possibly some last minute runners) - and then there usually are others to be seen.

Perhaps you haven’t sailed on a ship where the bar overhangs like wing mirrors .. Azura .. similar Princess ships .. the view is of the decks below and one side. Admittedly people have to be standing on the rails.

But it made me laugh to think you use you balcony with blinkers on ... so you NEVER .. look sideways or below. I will look next week ... but promise to only look at the waves. 😂

Perhaps you haven’t sailed on a ship where the bar overhangs like wing mirrors .. Azura .. similar Princess ships .. the view is of the decks below and one side. Admittedly people have to be standing on the rails.

But it made me laugh to think you use you balcony with blinkers on ... so you NEVER .. look sideways or below. I will look next week ... but promise to only look at the waves. 😂

Venturas Superior Deluxe Balconies are overlooked from above which is a little disconcerting if you want privacy lol.