Letter to NB

Minoushka

I letter to Powers of NCL re our stop in Barcelona next week

I believe this volatile situation in Catalan must be resolved by Spaniards and Catalans .only .....to add tourists to the mix at this time will only confuse and make matters a tad more difficult .To the powers that be at NCL .....take us elsewhere not Barcelona next week .let these people sort out their differences ......avoid putting us near turmoil or unrest

I would hate you apologising for a guest or many guests getting hurt in a demonstration or worse case scenario being in the wrong place at the wrong time ..........unfortunately now is NOT the time to take a chance ...please don.t

Hopefully all will be resolved without chaos or violence soon.Howver until it is please ...Lets not go there

I love Barcelona and will return ...once things have really cooled off

I would hate to go and be terrified to leave the ship or risk leaving and getting hurt .....lets all be smart about this .Make a wise decision fast...keep NCL STAR out of Barcelona

Cruising is supposed to be fun and relaxing ...worrying about a political situation going from soso bad to maybe worse should not be an option nor part of the agenda .I would like peace of mind .....Please cancel that port

I think if you are that concerned don't get off the ship. But posting here will not help you email NCL with your concerns as I think you will be more likely to get a response. I don't believe they will respond here. Not sure that they have a presence here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing in life can be guaranteed! Nobody boarding Costa Concordia did so expecting it to sink. Serious or even fatal accidents and incidents can happen anywhere, and even if you stay in your home town you are not necessraily safe.

I don't take lightly the concerns of the OP, which for them are real. Things often appear much worse seen from afar via the TV. However, so far as I am aware no Governments are advising against travel to Barcelona at this time, and if they were to do so the cruise lines would change their itineraries.

Rather than try to persuade NCL to alter its itinerary now, the OP would be better off either doing the cruise but staying on board in Barcelona, or changing to an alternative cruise which is not planned to visit Barcelona.

it is utterly ridiculous of the OP to suggest changing the port simply on how 1 person feels.

I think this is a fabulous opportunity to experience a country's political evolution and even possibly participate in it.

they should come up with an excursion or three that focuses specifically on the protests and riots.

Maybe even have one that gives you signs to carry, flags to wave, and even torches.

Lets all get arrested in Barcelona!!!

Viva Catalonia!!!!

(as mentioned by another poster - there are half dozen different threads by OP regarding this issue)

Sure they are going through some issues in BCN. But it is not like every street in town is full of protesters.

Skip the cruise.

Stay on the ship.

Or go ashore but avoid the crowds.

Unless something serious happens (has not yet), NCL and other cruise lines will still go to BCN.

There are many places in and around Barcelona that a tourist can see without putting themselves in danger (imagined or otherwise.)

I am quite certain that NCL, and in particular the ship, will provide some warnings and/or details prior to getting to Barcelona if it is a port stop. If it is a port stop, I am sure that a NCL excursion will keep you away form any troublesome spots.

If it is a departure point, then it behooves you, as the traveler, to make wise decisions regarding your hotels and tourist traveling as you should with any travel throughout the world.

Sometimes paranoia is as problematic as the political climate.

Why do people insist on using ellipsis wrong?

Can you use it wrong.......?

The news media mainly shows extreme and dangerous versions of the truth because they think calm and good news doesn't sell papers. Travel is a great antidote to this idea. Europe has a long history of large peaceful demonstrations of public discontent with government. I have not seen how US and Canadian news has portrayed the situation in Barcelona, but if the OP has developed such a paranoia about going near the city then it must be being shown by reporters who have little knowledge of life and history in Europe and even less about the situation in Barcelona.

The situation in Spain at the moment is constitutionally serious but it is far from producing situations that are likely to be dangerous for tourists. That is not to say that it will definitely not eventually lead to serious civil unrest, but it certainly is not anywhere near that at the moment and there is every indication that the political participants want it to be settled in a civilised fashion.

I suggest that rather than writing either on here or to NCL, the OP changes from the news outlets currently fostering an apparent paranoia and looks to a more balanced localised European outlet between now and when the ship docks in Barcelona. As has already been said, there are lots of places to go away from La Ramblas which is where these public demonstrations tend to be held. If you want a really scenic and peaceful day, why not try the Monastery at Monserrat for example.

I letter to Powers of NCL re our stop in Barcelona next week

I believe this volatile situation in Catalan must be resolved by Spaniards and Catalans .only .....to add tourists to the mix at this time will only confuse and make matters a tad more difficult .To the powers that be at NCL .....take us elsewhere not Barcelona next week .let these people sort out their differences ......avoid putting us near turmoil or unrest

I would hate you apologising for a guest or many guests getting hurt in a demonstration or worse case scenario being in the wrong place at the wrong time ..........unfortunately now is NOT the time to take a chance ...please don.t

Hopefully all will be resolved without chaos or violence soon.Howver until it is please ...Lets not go there

I love Barcelona and will return ...once things have really cooled off

I would hate to go and be terrified to leave the ship or risk leaving and getting hurt .....lets all be smart about this .Make a wise decision fast...keep NCL STAR out of Barcelona

Cruising is supposed to be fun and relaxing ...worrying about a political situation going from soso bad to maybe worse should not be an option nor part of the agenda .I would like peace of mind .....Please cancel that port

1. That is an embarkation port next week

2. Stay home and get run over in your driveway.

3. Stay on the ship or stay away from crowds.

Ok, not watching the full hour long video but from a few minutes it’s a large group walking down the street, many elderly in it, waving flags. Not what I would consider border line riots.

They will not stampede aboard the ship to get you. With your fears, simply don’t get off the ship, problem solved. Don’t force your fears into other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are absolutely no problems for tourists in Barcelona other than from the usual pickpockets you get in every city. We will certainly be far safer in Barcelona than in many US cities or other European capitals like Instanbul or Cairo.

Im interested to know how you have come by this info? What is your source for stating the above? It's actually quite brazen of you to make such statements. How can you guarantee anyone's safety with regard to protesters/demonstrations etc stemming from this internal strife? ? Notice I didn't say pickpockets but specifically said protesters/demonstrations and strife.

Ok..so

I'm not a sky is falling type but honestly the many posters who seem to be confident of others safety in Barcelona and almost guaranteeing their safety is comical

The reality is everyone makes their own decisions regarding travel but for others to blatantly state you will be safe in Barcelona is another thing

Personally, if I were booked and it was just a port stop, I would make my decisions on that day

If I were embarking in Barcelona in the upcoming days/weeks I would be reading my insurance policy and deciding at the appropriate time what to do and not what others should do nor would I go as far as to guarantee tourist safety primarily because I have no way to guarantee anyone's safety in Barcelona. This isn't rocket science it's just common sense in knowing what I am capable of. Lol

Please notice in my above commentary I specifically said what I would do

Additionally, I would never be so callous as to say to others that there is no danger in Barcelona stemming from this political break.

I cannot predict the future and those in this thread that can predict the future, you are either truly blessed or perhaps not

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by maggie cruises