Gratuity Removal Too Easy?

spj8705

I understand they have to attend to many tables an people, an he write down the items ordered from everyone

there is no excuse he forgot my dish.

Again, what did you want to remove? Surely not his tips for the entire cruise because the poor guy forgot one single plate once. What kind of person are you anyway? It happens in land based restaurants as well. If it is cheerfully corrected, how upset can you get?

Just off the Freedom (AMAZING week/cruise) and on the last day we were in line at GS to settle our cash account. They had a very friendly crew member going through the line to help speed it up and get people out of line quicker. The people in front of us told her they wanted grats. removed, she made a quick call on her portable phone, gave whoever answered the stateroom # and said remove grats. for all passengers. That was it, no signing anything, asking if there was a problem, nothing.

Of course it's nice that you can have an issue handled with ease, but it just kind of stuck with me all weekend that people can remove them so easily. It also seemed to be a very common need in the line we were in, as multiple were up there just for that purpose. Here's to hoping they had other plans with cash or something?

Frankly, it is none of our business what others do.

We pay and move on.

Let's be honest....

90% of the paxs removing gratuities are just being Cheap and trying to save a few bucks. There was no "issue" to resolve.

On my last cruise my seapass wouldn't open the cabin door and I went to CS. Most of the paxs in line were removing grats before the cruise even started.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Wish it was.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Two passengers and you come to the conclusion that 90% are cheap. Very sad indictment of you and not them.

The dining gratuities billed to your account do not apply just to the MDR. They cover all dining venues, like the Windjammer, cafe, pizza, etc., any food location. It's much simpler just to leave in place and not worry about carrying cash, trying to tip appropriately, etc.every time you grab a bite to eat.

I know the tips apply to all venues for dining. I explained we tipped for our breakfast the one day I wanted to remove tips. On the next cruise if we decide to remove tips, I will tip for breakfast or lunch in the WJ or wherever I choose to eat. I guess I just feel that the majority of the tip goes to the MDR personnel and we won't eat there.

Or maybe, based on other comments, we should just leave the tips in place and not tip extra in the Specialty Restaurants. Hmmm, that's another thought. I just can't do that though as we have had excellent service and it warrants an extra tip.

How will you feel when all in your table are eating and they ask you what happen with you dish? He forgot it

Actually I would turn it into a joke.

I would ask for some invisible silverware to eat my invisible meal.

It must be nice to be so perfect and never made a mistake in your life.

So you are saying the person at Guest Services I talked to who told me I couldn't remove the tips for the dining room lied? Or are you saying I did?

I am saying guest services either misunderstood or mislead you. I won’t go so far as to say they lied. I was not saying anything negative about you.

Yet another 24+ page thread on RCL "tipping" coupled with the ignorance that the automatic "gratuities" are not gratuities at all.... RCL calls them that, but they are not gratuities as defined in the dictionary. They form a massive chunk (70%? 80%? 90%?) of their wages. I feel that RCL, and all the lines, should be mandated by law to incorporate all of their set costs (especially wages) into the base cruise fare.

Could not agree with you more here. The cruise lines are using this to lie and cheat, and to save millions is cost. They can get away with operating this way becasue many people believe the con act, poor hard working staff low wagers..... if they is really the case pay them more. If the base pay wand package was not better than what was available in their home country they would not take the contract. If it was such a bad deal why do the cruise lines have 50 to 100 people applying for a single open job.

If they have nothing to hide here why will they not provide a breakdown of these fees? Just very vague statements and nothing they really says anything. Try asking officers for a break down and see what happens?

So you are saying the person at Guest Services I talked to who told me I couldn't remove the tips for the dining room lied? Or are you saying I did?

I'm certain your only options are to remove all gratuities or to leave the gratuities in place. You can add gratuities to a particular service, such as stateroom attendant and/or dining room staff.

My first several cruises in the 90s had no auto tips in place- we used envelops (not RCCL). How did these hidden people everyone claims need to get their share of tips who were never mentioned back then get their tips back then? Or did they receive tips back then? Is this a new invention? I have paperwork from every cruise ever been on and when discussing tips they made no mention of those persons.

We auto tip and tip extra. The only time I removed money from an auto tip and self distributed my tip is because we became very aware that the room stewards on our cruise were at the time not receiving their tips and being treated like slaves and were in a dire situation. They gave us great service despite what terrible service we received from the cruise line who refused to fix extreme problems in our cabins or move us to empty cabins which they had plenty of. We would not have been as aware of what was going on had not members of our group spoken several European languages and once we overheard we made it our business to find out what was going on. It is a cruise line I prefer not to sail on any longer due to their habits. If I feel those who serve me well are being cheated and guest relations and their staff who did nothing to fix the issues that practically ruined our cruise, I then will take it into my own hands to pass out cash and even give part out earlier in the week to try to make sure those that are serving us get to keep it. I hope that this was an isolated incident and the cruise lines do not so mistreat their staff in this way but I have heard rumors. Those that serve should get their fair share. I did enjoy passing out envelops when that was the policy. I still do so for extra amts for those who contribute to our enjoyment during our cruise. I am one who does question some of the truthfulness of what the cruise lines states happens to those auto tips. But I doubt we will ever know for sure that is one reason based out of other countries.

My first several cruises in the 90s had no auto tips in place- we used envelops (not RCCL). How did these hidden people everyone claims need to get their share of tips who were never mentioned back then get their tips back then? Or did they receive tips back then? Is this a new invention? I have paperwork from every cruise ever been on and when discussing tips they made no mention of those persons.

We auto tip and tip extra. The only time I removed money from an auto tip and self distributed my tip is because we became very aware that the room stewards on our cruise were at the time not receiving their tips and being treated like slaves and were in a dire situation. They gave us great service despite what terrible service we received from the cruise line who refused to fix extreme problems in our cabins or move us to empty cabins which they had plenty of. We would not have been as aware of what was going on had not members of our group spoken several European languages and once we overheard we made it our business to find out what was going on. It is a cruise line I prefer not to sail on any longer due to their habits. If I feel those who serve me well are being cheated and guest relations and their staff who did nothing to fix the issues that practically ruined our cruise, I then will take it into my own hands to pass out cash and even give part out earlier in the week to try to make sure those that are serving us get to keep it. I hope that this was an isolated incident and the cruise lines do not so mistreat their staff in this way but I have heard rumors. Those that serve should get their fair share. I did enjoy passing out envelops when that was the policy. I still do so for extra amts for those who contribute to our enjoyment during our cruise. I am one who does question some of the truthfulness of what the cruise lines states happens to those auto tips. But I doubt we will ever know for sure that is one reason based out of other countries.

Just like many restaurants, the people who receive tips from the public "tip out" or share with those behind the scenes.

I'm certain your only options are to remove all gratuities or to leave the gratuities in place. You can add gratuities to a particular service, such as stateroom attendant and/or dining room staff.

False Completely wrong information. Why do people believe posting false information is helpful to anyone? Just makes the poster look very bad.

RCCL Tipping policy from Web Site, clearly you can adjust or remove as you see fit to do:

"A guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services onboard and will be able to do so until the morning of their departure"

The form at Guest Services lets you opt out of "automatic gratuities." It does not let you "go halfsies".

Again Fake News and postings you can adjust in any way to any amount you want. It clear says " modify the daily amount at their discretion" That means you can charge to whatever you want.

"A guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services onboard and will be able to do so until the morning of their departure"

We are definitely not in favour of removing the Daily Service Charge but.... how would the ship management know if a crew member, i.e. attendant, waiter etc. received a tip in Ca$h and how much?

Do Ca$h tips have GP$ tracker???

;)

Exactly what I was thinking.

It's immediate expulsion if they pocket the tips and don't turn it into the pool. Everyone on the ship knows that a particular stateroom has removed their auto tips. They'll be questioned.

Just because a stateroom has removed their tips it doesn't mean that they are tipping in cash. Seems like people remove them and then don't tip in cash.