Trying NCL again 10 years later. Will I be impressed?

SwimCarrie

Ordering room service in an inside cabin sounds depressing, so I would not worry about the $7.95 fee and go out of cabin to eat. Their complimentary restaurants are very good and the pub food is also top notch for pub food. I never felt like I got bad food on NCL. If you don't want to pay for a drink package or individual drinks, there are plenty of good free beverages.

NCL is fantastic. As good as, if not better than Princess. I am sure you will love it.

For many people, it’s “Research. Purchase. Sail.” rather than “Purchase. Research. Sail.” At least you’re researching before you go.

We are scheduled on the Bliss next August, in Alaska. I’m looking forward to the cruise, even though we’ve been on Jewel Class, the Epic and Breakaway Class, and I really prefer the Jewel Class. I just like the “new ship” smell.

As others mentioned, the drinks package appears expensive because most people that have it get it “free”. However, even though the required 18% gratuity is based on retail price, it is still reasonably priced for many people.

I think the food in most of the MDRs (we’ve been on Jade, Epic, Getaway lately, back on the Jade at Christmas) is fine. Some of it is pretty good. (My wife will tell you it is excellent, compared to Carnival. She hated Carnival.)

We usually have a specialty dining package as a perk and Platinum Plus meals, so we don’t eat there all the time.

We don’t bother with the drinks package, because we don’t drink enough to justify the cost. I used to get the soda package for me, but I just drink iced tea now. I’m not really a Pepsi fan, and there’s no Dr Pepper.

Many of the specialty restaurants are a la carte, so if the kids only have appetizers, that’s all you pay for.

You are probably suffering from “First Cruise Disease.” It happened to us when went on Carnival after 12 cruises on NCL. “Wait, we don’t get a meals package? Priority check-in? Free drinks? This sucks.” Well, no, we’re Platinum Plus on NCL and we’re nobodies on Carnival.

So, when you ask, “How do people pay for (x)?” just realize that many people don’t. However, they have some status with NCL already, and many are in balconies or above, so they have multiple perks.

Watch the sales. If you see a better deal where insides get multiple perks (before final payment), cancel and rebook. Do the math. Add the full-price packages you want to your cruise fare. Add the gratuity-only price to a cabin where it would be included. Cancel and rebook or upgrade to get the “free” perks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Took our first NCL cruise in March and loved it! The food in the included restaurants was much better than anticipated, lots of oohs and ahs around our table. (And I felt it was better than Disney when I cruised on that with my little sis shortly after) We really didn't eat much from the buffet because I'm a sit and be served type of person but what we sampled was decently good. The speciality restaurants offer variety, but in our opinion are not critical to enjoying NCL. We did have the drink package as one of our perks, and admittedly that did add to our enjoyment. Worth considering upgrade to higher level room to get this included if you plan on drinking.

Except for a couple pictures (and tips of course), we didn't spend any money on the ship outside of what we booked.

Princess is our favorite line overall. I was quite disappointed by the free food on NCL, but sailed the Star, which is one of their older ships. The reviews of the Star indicated to me prior to booking that we might need specialty dining, which was fairly reasonably priced when we sailed with NCL three years ago because children's meals were half off. Unfortunately children's meals at specialty dining are now full price, unless the kids eat off the kids menu (which we won't allow, since we want our kids to try new foods on vacation). The service on NCL was excellent, as was the kids club. We would sail NCL again if after factoring in the cost of specialty dining the cruise was still competitively priced overall. I would imagine the food would be much better on a newer ship than the Star, but it is quite subjective. I am hoping you are prior to final payment, and that you can calculate the total cost that you expect to spend and decide whether or not you should stay with NCL, or if you can get a cruise that is better suited for your family on another line (and note that the kids club hours are better on Princess than NCL, which might not matter for your family since your kids have outgrown naps. It's tough when the kids still nap and there are closures in the kids club because mine would wake up, and realize the kids club was about to close for two hours and be sad.) We all honestly had a great time on our cruise, but we knew ahead of time the food might be an issue, and factored that into our decision to sail so we were very happy (especially my 3 year old, who really loved NCL's kids club).

That makes sense. Our free offer was kids sail free. I forgot about that. (We only had one offer with an inside cabin). So, by virtue of bringing the kids, everything else is expensive! Darn kids! LOL.

We are in a very similar boat (pardon the pun) to you. We have not sailed NCL for about 10 years now either. We did two cruises with them way back and enjoyed both of them very much, the first with just the adults, the 2nd with our oldest two daughters who were 3 and 5 at the time.

We have been sailing basically once per year and are pretty loyal to RCCL. I wanted a special family cruise for this upcoming Christmas/ New Year and settled on inside cabins on the Dawn because NCL was offering (at the time), 3rd and 4th in the cabin for free as one of the perks (which we chose). We have two more daughters now, who will be staying in another cabin with friends of the family using the same perk. This is the only way I could afford six for a New Year cruise, so we understand where you are coming from.

It would be nice to have the beverage package, but it is not something that would make or break my cruise. We have always been happy with the MDR, so specialty restaurants are not something we need. I do not want internet access since I am on vacation and want to unplug. I don't want shore excursion credits since ship excursions are way overpriced and usually very impersonal. We do not intend to pay much on the ship in the way of extras, except for gratuities. We will spend our money ashore (we have 8 ports plus our home port of San Juan) on a 10 day cruise, so I do not think we will be on the ship to even get our money worth on the beverage package.

Long story short, I understand where you are coming from, but I think we will be happy with what we find on NCL, knowing about the attempt to upcharge for everything, and knowing that we will just decline most of the offers. Hope you enjoy the Bliss. It looks like a great ship.

Hi cruising fans!

Here's some background: I love cruising and am not necessarily tied to any particular cruise line, though I have traveled the most on Princess because we like the demographic and can hop on cruises within driving distance. We are a family of 4, Hubby and I are in our early 40's, and 2 kids, ages 7 & 8. We've sailed on Princess (loved it), Disney (didn't love it, but liked it---gasp!), Carnival (great for the kids as long as you stay away from the bars), Royal (before kids), Holland (our family's favorite, if you can believe it!), and finally one bad experience on NCL.

We *think* the NCL cruise was bad for two reasons. #1: They had just come out with anytime dining and it was a total fiasco. (Back in 2007). I had to wake up at 6am to get dinner reservations at ANY restaurant. #2: It was Hawaii, so an American crew. Now, for the record, I'm not saying that American's are lazy, but I've had service from people from other countries whose families depended on the money they made, not some kid with a bad attitude who wanted to travel. In our experience, on that one sailing, there were many unenthusiastic Americans.

So here we are 10 years later and willing to give them another chance. Surely, the anytime dining has worked out the kinks. Also, we are sailing to Mexico, so not a full American staff. All good things.

I haven't looked at the NCL page in years. Why bother when there are so many other cruise lines. So, I booked the cruise and started doing some research. I know many of you are going to lose your minds when I say this, but is this Nickel and Dime Cruise Lines? Did I read right that soda for my family will be $242? And if we want unlimited alcohol, it's $1728??? Hahahaha. One thousand seven hundred and twenty eight dollars??? Not Pesos??? Wow. Is NCL for the rich? (Well, yes, but they're in the Haven rooms, right?) How is the food in the complimentary restaurants? Buffet? I know, I know, food is subjective. Scratch that. Do they really want me to pay over $100 a meal for specialty dining? And you have to pay more for finger sandwiches at high tea? And there's a "convenience fee" for room service???

I just don't get it. Help me understand. Why is everything so expensive? How is it worth so much more than other lines doing the same itinerary? Someone please help me out here. I'm not trying to be snarky, honestly, but $7.95 for room service? :o LOL.

Thanks in advance,

A *possible* NCL lover :hearteyes:

I stayed away for 20 years! Then, I went on the Spirit for 11 nights in Europe, with specialty dining and shore excursion packages, and I was stunned at the difference. My husband and I are now going next year.

NCL is actually less expensive than the other similar cruise lines. They all charge for room service now. NCL and HAL have the lowest per-drink prices, and their shore excursions are less expensive, too.

Am booked on the Getaway in May, and this will be only my second NCL cruise, having been on the wonderful liner Norway back in 9

'93. I like trying different lines, different ships....all have their positives and negatives, The best positive is that I get to watch the ocean go by and that's fine with me!

Arn't all the soda packages and alcohol packages between all cruise line about the same price? They might just have different options of what is included, hence the difference in price. If you do drink, (non-alcoholic or alcoholic drinks), consider upgrading to an Oceanview. The difference is usually not that much and you don't have to worry about the drinks. They also seem to be pushing a promo where you get all 5 perks these days.

Depending on which ship you're cruising on, some inside rooms are really small.

Yes! We want to give them another try.

We've sailed Carnival a few times and liked it a lot. But with NCL I find their entertainment a lot better! I am not one to order room service much, but like another person said, the Continental breakfast service is free (add a tip of course) and you can order up a coffee pot or tea. I also think if you watch for pricing on your sailing, once those prices drop, and if it is not yet 90 days' out I'd upgrade for an OV and add the UBP. It is only affordable as a PROMO IMHO, but sooooo nice to have!

I liked the food on both lines, and have had the dining pkg (No kids with us, so it's a PROMO as well) which adds nice options, but I feel the complimentary food choices are totally acceptable! You should LOVE this cruise.....

Arn't all the soda packages and alcohol packages between all cruise line about the same price? They might just have different options of what is included, hence the difference in price. If you do drink, (non-alcoholic or alcoholic drinks), consider upgrading to an Oceanview. The difference is usually not that much and you don't have to worry about the drinks. They also seem to be pushing a promo where you get all 5 perks these days.

Actually, HAL impresses me with their soda card you can purchase online. You pay $25 and get $50 worth of soda. I just bought 2 for my husband to use on our next HAL cruise. I don't know of any other cruise line that has that offer. RCCL will give you a discount on a soda package purchase the first day, but it's not $25 worth of free soda!!

You would think that, but no. NCL's beverage package is significantly more expensive than every other line, if you are actually paying for it. NCL goes for $79pppd, plus gratuity. Royal Caribbean is $55pppd, Carnival is $49.95, and Princess is $59.99, just to cite some examples. If you drink at all, you are better off booking a room that will include the package.

My boss is booked on X with a great price to Alaska next June concierge level. All perks. No fees like NCL on drink pkg which includes bottled water and coffee drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your experience on Bliss will be 100% completely different than your experience on the Hawaii cruise 10 years ago. It's like apples and oranges. Besides, you certainly can't base your opinion on an entire cruise line based on a single week on a single ship.

If I'd based my opinion of NCL on our first cruise on the Spirit, I'd have never sailed the line again. But we are smarter than that, and NCL has been amazing ever since that first cruise. I now know myself better and what to look for in a ship/itinerary better than I did then.

We are taking our 6th cruise next Spring on NCL Escape (3rd with NCL) and I have a hard time booking with any other line at this point. I don't feel the nickel and Diming. To me its the most cost effective trip we can take as a family. Although not hard drinkers, we always take the UBP as that can be the biggest surprise at the end of a trip and I hate having to think 'Is this drink worth the money, will I really enjoy it". I can't imagine cruising without a beverage package at this point. We book about a year in advance and pay everything off before we go, Pre-pay Gratuities, Spa Passes and such. This way I can spread out the payments. Next trip is the first time we have had a Dining plan so will be nice to try specialty restaurants but have never had trouble finding great food to eat and new things to try. We usually leave the ship only owing about $200-300 dollars and pay that before we leave in cash. The next land based trip we take will probably kill me in having to pay for everything at the time of travel and separately!

Edited by Stace894
incorrect information

Actually, HAL impresses me with their soda card you can purchase online. You pay $25 and get $50 worth of soda. I just bought 2 for my husband to use on our next HAL cruise. I don't know of any other cruise line that has that offer. RCCL will give you a discount on a soda package purchase the first day, but it's not $25 worth of free soda!!
I don't know anything about other cruise lines' soda packages, but what surprised me about HAL's is that what you don't drink you get back.

We've sailed 5 different lines....my first NCL was in April 2016. It was just ok. We did not really like the food in the mdr.....that opinion includes choices and taste. We are actually leaving on an NCL cruise tomorrow. I am crossing my fingers that that the April cruise was a fluke and this one will be better. I wanted to give NCL one more chance before making a final decision.

I do think their prices are high on drinks, excursions, etc. don't be shocked when you some of the excursion prices. I was but we usually book independently anyways. If you don't book with perks then I think they are a nickel and dime cruise. Most people don't seem to notice because they get the perks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have sailed on NCL almost exclusively since 2008, and on Carnival twice. I think both lines are more alike than different. We enjoy the relaxed feel of NCL ships, all of the options in dining, and a fantastic crew.

I think your kids will enjoy the Bliss, because of the slides, aqua park, and go-karts, etc..:D

I agree with the posters that suggest you watch for price drops, it's possible it may work to your advantage to get an upgrade to a different category of cabin.

Yep, you sound miserable. Find another line.

Okay, bad jokes out the way. ;p

NCL is no more of a nickel and dime venture than any other cruise line. To me that term is coined by people who don't do their research to find out the costs associated with packages and the overall cruise. Others will disagree with that definition, but that's okay.

Few people actually buy the dining or alcohol packages these days with all the promos that are available. Make sure you read the promo T/C's though because you will have to pay gratuities on packages.

The larger ships with all the bells and whistles have great programs for kids with plenty of things to do. In my opinion, entertainment is fantastic with plenty of quality shows to fill up a week. Specialty dining gives you plenty of choices for eating, some better than others, but as you said...food is very subjective. Trust me though, you and the family will not go hungry. I can count on one hand the number of unfriendly staff I have encountered on my many cruises.

Is it a perfect line? No. Are some things expensive, you betcha but can't that be said for all lines.

NCL is MUCH better than it was back in '07. Just like any other vacation, if you go with an open mind and roll with the punches you should have a memorable vacation.

Hope that helps.

Though some folks will disagree, particularly those who are happy with the way things are/have been on NCL, I'm betting that having Oceania's founder (Frank DelRio) now overseeing NCL too means that the quality in multiple areas on NCL will eventually improve.

Of course, his ultimate challenge is to still have enough of a different product across the cruise segments that individual cruiser loyalty to NCL, Oceania or Regent will not suffer.

NCL in Hawaii in 2007 was a train wreck so hard to take that snapshot and apply it across the fleet then or now. NCL now in Hawaii is pretty good.

From your first post it sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on NCL.

Was on the inaugural Hawaii cruise a month after 9-11 when 'freestyle' was introduced. It was quite funny. Passengers didn't know what to do, staff was confused how to handle. NCL has come a long way since then. Fell in love with 'freestyle' on that cruise. Never liked 'assigned' seating. Freestyle was a great plus for me and caused me to come back to NCL as other lines weren't offering it.

I’ve sailed Carnival and RCCL before trying NCL and fell in love with Freestyle Cruising! Sailed the Getaway in January and on her again this coming January (50 days!) We love O’Sheehans and their buffet is the best we’ve had at sea! Room service is $7.95 service fee, but you can order a ton of food! Continental breakfast still free. Book a newer NCL ship with the slides for the kids and Waterfront for the adults!

Yep, you sound miserable. Find another line.

Okay, bad jokes out the way. ;p

NCL is no more of a nickel and dime venture than any other cruise line. To me that term is coined by people who don't do their research to find out the costs associated with packages and the overall cruise. Others will disagree with that definition, but that's okay.

Few people actually buy the dining or alcohol packages these days with all the promos that are available. Make sure you read the promo T/C's though because you will have to pay gratuities on packages.

The larger ships with all the bells and whistles have great programs for kids with plenty of things to do. In my opinion, entertainment is fantastic with plenty of quality shows to fill up a week. Specialty dining gives you plenty of choices for eating, some better than others, but as you said...food is very subjective. Trust me though, you and the family will not go hungry. I can count on one hand the number of unfriendly staff I have encountered on my many cruises.

Is it a perfect line? No. Are some things expensive, you betcha but can't that be said for all lines.

NCL is MUCH better than it was back in '07. Just like any other vacation, if you go with an open mind and roll with the punches you should have a memorable vacation.

Hope that helps.

Very well said! Couldn’t have said it better! NCL is fabulous and we’ve had a drink package as a promo !

I have been on 15 Carnival, 4 Princess 3 RCCL and 1 Norwegian. My only Norwegian was last year on the Jewel and I have to say it is my top 3 favorite cruises. I am not a buffet person, but I actually thought Norwegian had the best buffet of any cruise line I have sailed. I have a Carnival cruise booked on Nov 25, 2017. I have 2 Norwegian booked for next year and am really looking forward to the Bliss next October. We got the drink package on both the Norwegian cruises. I didn't use room service on the Jewel, because with all the free food I can't justify 7.95. I know it is for the entire order so for 4 people it wouldn't be cost prohibitive. They also have The Local on the Bliss which is similar to O'Sheehan's which is free and is pub type food. I had fish and chips in O'Sheehan's and hope The Local will also has it. You will have a great time.

Candi