Theft

SFloridian

Never. And I leave all my expensive photo equipment and all my electronics out. The only thing that goes into the safe are jewelry, passports and money.

Has anyone considered that the OP w only 11 posts is a troll or someone who is trying to establish a pattern so that they can establish an insurance claim.

DON

My wife and I went on a 12 day long awaited Carnival cruise to Hawaii. Everything was going great, on the first sea day we had purchase a picture frame at the photo shop. I handed the crew staff my sail and sign card to purchase the item. He then turn towards the till and started fumbling with his hands in a motion

towards his pocket area as he was approximately 8 feet away from me and the counter.

During this time I had eyes on him closely. He then returned and with a guilty look and wanted my sail and sign card ! I immediately got into a verbal confrontation with this scammer! The crew staff denied ever receiving my card. Security was call in and took notes and obtain my statement. They were so lame and dumb as they did not ever bother to review the CCVT cameras. Old card canceled immediately and new one issued. The moral of this incident is never take your eyes away from your valuable personal items. Cruise lines don't pay the workers much and demand long hours. So there is always a motive to steal.

Be safe not sorry.

Your ship card, which serves as your room key, ship ID, and on board purchase card, has no value to anyone but you. There is no credit card information embedded on it that can be used by anyone. It is only linked to your on board account which records all purchases which are then charged to your credit card on file with Guest Services at the end of the cruise. It can only be used on board and only by you as your picture ID is confirmed at the register with each purchase.

If someone were to obtain your card it is replaced as you indicated and the old one deactivated.

hi

Some people say they never even use their safe, although that doesn't sound very smart. I can understand the temptation of valuables or cash, but a dress out of your suitcase, or a pair of shoes from under a chair, sounds bizarre. Don't forget while the cabin stewards are cleaning the cabins, the doors are open and anyone passing by while unattended can grab something out in the open.

Always use your safe for valuables. There is nothing to be done about someone on a cruise that will steal a pair of shoes.

TBH I never thing the safe is very safe. They all have master keys and you only have to go to the desk and it will be easily opened. They are a good place for storing passports and paperwork so that they don't get lost. Thats about it. I leave jewellery out all the time and have never had anything knicked yet.

Never. And I leave all my expensive photo equipment and all my electronics out. The only thing that goes into the safe are jewelry, passports and money.

Has anyone considered that the OP w only 11 posts is a troll or someone who is trying to establish a pattern so that they can establish an insurance claim.

DON

Hi

Yes, that's possible. Of course this thread was started a year ago and revived by someone who suggested a crew member was trying to "scam/steal?" them by taking their sail & sign card. There is no money to steal. If lost, the card is replaced.

Also funny is that Canugess brings up a post I made last year where I suggest that since they give you a safe, you might as well use it, and goes on to state that since security can enter the safe there is no point in using it. Please, folks, use your safe, if something goes missing don't go whining about your dishonest cabin steward, you probably lost it under the bed.

I *think* that I had a gold locket stolen way back in the 70's on a cruise, but it is very possible that I just misplaced it or couldn't find it before leaving. I don't believe there were safes at that time.

I had a black cardigan stolen on a Transatlantic that I had left on a deck chair while I went to the bathroom. I am pretty sure it was by a passenger and actually think I saw someone wearing it later; it had very distinctive buttons. It seems petty, but it was the perfect sweater for me.

I have never had anything stolen from my cabin except possibly the locket long ago. I do use the safe for true valuables and money, but we do leave cameras and other electronics around the cabin all the time. At least a couple of times we came back to the cabin and for some reason the safe did not close correctly; nothing was ever gone.

Several times I have left my camera either in the dining room or other venues; they have always been found and returned.

I wonder, with the dress at least, if it is more likely that a passenger saw your door open and snagged the dress. I do believe that people often misplace things and truly believe they have been stolen when they have not. You have had very bad luck if all of these things have been stolen.

Hi

Yes, that's possible. Of course this thread was started a year ago and revived by someone who suggested a crew member was trying to "scam/steal?" them by taking their sail & sign card. There is no money to steal. If lost, the card is replaced.

It was revived by someone who has a beef against Carnival. 2/3rds of their posts are accusing Carnival of either stealing or harassment.

DON

Totally agree. I also leave very expensive camera gear and laptop in the cabin, only securing cash, passports and jewelry in the safe.

To comment on the poster re-activating this thread. Yes, the crew may make less money than western standards, but they make substantial incomes for their home countries. Therefore, they have incentives to remain employed by the cruise lines. Getting caught stealing guarantees a flight home the next day.

I’m sorry this has happened to you. I don’t doubt you one bit. I can only say I don’t THINK it’s ever happened to us. We did have staff come in to varnish our balcony railing. We had prior notification. We had alcohol missing from our mini bar. The cruise line didn’t question our theft report at all. Just replaced and took the charge off. We have never even used the mini bar. I think it happens more often than we think. My DH is very uncomfortable with our steward propping our cabin door open. Anyone can walk in without being noticed.

Totally agree. I also leave very expensive camera gear and laptop in the cabin, only securing cash, passports and jewelry in the safe.

To comment on the poster re-activating this thread. Yes, the crew may make less money than western standards, but they make substantial incomes for their home countries. Therefore, they have incentives to remain employed by the cruise lines. Getting caught stealing guarantees a flight home the next day.

At their own expense.

My DH is very uncomfortable with our steward propping our cabin door open. Anyone can walk in without being noticed.

I would have to believe you are an honest, well inteded individual, as I believe myself to be as well. I would like to think that would apply to most passengers on board.

That being said, who would you think would take advantage of a propped open door - likely with a room steward in it or nearby, as that would be why it would be propped open - to come into your stateroom upon the random opportunity to pass by it when the door is propped open, and for what purpose? They would have to know the combination to your safe, or hope that any clothes they would take would fit, all while hoping to not be seen by the stateroom attendant, who would recognize that they are not you, who will either be in the stateroom or nearby.

I guess I'm just not that suspicious of other passengers on vacation with me and their nefarious intent.

I’m sorry this has happened to you. I don’t doubt you one bit. I can only say I don’t THINK it’s ever happened to us. We did have staff come in to varnish our balcony railing. We had prior notification. We had alcohol missing from our mini bar. The cruise line didn’t question our theft report at all. Just replaced and took the charge off. We have never even used the mini bar. I think it happens more often than we think. My DH is very uncomfortable with our steward propping our cabin door open. Anyone can walk in without being noticed.

Actually, it rarely happens. Otherwise, we would be reading about it here more often. I have never worried about something being stolen. I have much better things to do on my cruises than to worry about extremely rare incidents.

Besides, the crew value their jobs and would not jeopardize it by stealing. To think that they would so such things "more often than we think" is quite disrespectful to the people who work long hours to make your cruise comfortable.

As for your mini bar incident, I would guess that the prior occupants used some of the items and it was accidentally restocked incorrectly after they checked out of the room.

Once a long time ago we were on a ncl cruise and a ring disappear from our cabin, ring was given to my dad when he was in WW 2, I reported it and was told no way room steward would have done it , then they told me they did a through search of our small inside cabin, we then searched cabin and found a bag of jewelry including class ring , thAt was left from a previous cruise, which we gave to purser , positive they never returned it to owner. I know longer cruise ncl for that and other reasons.

I've had one friend who apparently left her safe open slightly when she left the room. Workers were in and out due to bathroom problems, They ended up taking $$ which can't be traced, but left all documents. My friend unfortunately blamed her cabinmate of being in room after she left, leaving the safe open, which of course ended the friendship (roommate denied to this day.). That was an error on my friend. Always check and make sure anything valuable is secured in your locked safe. And lock your packed suitcase, if leaving it in room , unattended for any amount of time . Sorry to hear your having such an unfortunate situation. ALWAYS re-check your cabin before exiting.

Your ship card, which serves as your room key, ship ID, and on board purchase card, has no value to anyone but you. There is no credit card information embedded on it that can be used by anyone. It is only linked to your on board account which records all purchases which are then charged to your credit card on file with Guest Services at the end of the cruise. It can only be used on board and only by you as your picture ID is confirmed at the register with each purchase.

If someone were to obtain your card it is replaced as you indicated and the old one deactivated.

Hi, thanks for the reply back very informative. Are you saying all Carnival ships have transaction terminals now with computer display monitor to confirm with picture i.d. upon transaction ? We never observed such a computer/display. When was this security system in placed ?

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the reply back very informative. Are you saying all Carnival ships have transaction terminals now with computer display monitor to confirm with picture i.d. upon transaction ? We never observed such a computer/display. When was this security system in placed ?

Thanks

To be honest, I guess I was drawing the conclusion that it was likely an industry standard practice as I've not been on Carnival, but have knowledge of this from RCI and Celebrity. There is a small screen on the register terminals that displays the card holder's picture when the card is swiped. It would make sense that others would have the same system as that would be the most secure way to protect the legitimate use of the card on board. Maybe others can confirm regarding Carnival.

Do you think I would make this up?

That is one of the possibilities.

Another possibility is that you tend to mislay things.

A third possibility is that you are an extraordinarily unfortunate and rare victim of serial thefts. Of course that could be the case, but in over a couple of dozen cruises I have never experienced a theft - nor have I heard of people having things stolen from their staterooms.

I am not accusing you of either carelessness or of making up the story — but since you raised that possibility, it should be considered.

To be honest, I guess I was drawing the conclusion that it was likely an industry standard practice as I've not been on Carnival, but have knowledge of this from RCI and Celebrity. There is a small screen on the register terminals that displays the card holder's picture when the card is swiped. It would make sense that others would have the same system as that would be the most secure way to protect the legitimate use of the card on board. Maybe others can confirm regarding Carnival.

On the card scanners that I have seen, the display screens are positioned in such a way that it is difficult for a passenger to see them. It is on the side of the scanner enclosure that the employee can see, not the passenger. So it would not be unusual for a passenger to never notice them.

Can't confirm Carnival (although have been on Carnival, can't recall), but can confirm that it works that way on Disney and Holland America.

Has anyone else experienced theft on cruises? the last 3 cruises I had things stolen

Took the time, don't know why, to read your entire post. In a nut shell you have no idea what happened or where. The VAST majority of Lost items were left on the ship by the passenger. You have just as much proof to point a finger at Longshoremen, sky caps, luggage handlers or a mirror. Do you think your stuff was that important for someone to lose their job where they support a family back home for the most part.

We have actually had the opposite happen a few times. The biggest was when my wife had a credit card fall out of her pocket while we waited in the auditorium for our tender. In the hallway just before you enter the boat, my wife realized that she lost her card. A kind soul saw it, picked it up and was looking for anyone who might have lost it. They saw our panicked faces and walked up and asked did you lose anything, we told them the cc and they handed it over.

Not in 41 cruises. But anything of value goes in the safe, jewelrywise. I can’t imagine something stolen on every cruise you’ve done. An old thread. Wonder if they stopped cruising?

For the sake of the crew repeatedly being accused, I certainly hope so.

Interesting that the only posts they have ever made have been only on this thread. Nothing else to comment on, nothing else to ask about, nothing else good or bad.