Checked bag has small Swiss Army knife with wine opener, etc - Okay?

PaperSniper4

I keep a small knife with wine opener in my shaving kit when I travel. I always put it in my checked bag. Never had a problem having that in our cabin. I did once have a similar knife (2.75 inch blade) in my shore bag (containing t-Shirts, etc) when I went on shore from the Celebrity Century and I was "relieved" at the screening machine as I returned from shore. Not a big deal as I usually do not need nor carry even a small pocket knife ashore.

I have travel on Celebrity and most other of the major cruise lines without ever having a problem with that knife/wine opener in my checked bags. But I guess I am getting paranoid in my old age.....can anyone offer any evidence that Celebrity will confiscate my knife/wine opener in my checked bag? I know what Ceelb's web site says about any sharp item (what the heck is that?), but surely this doesn't apply?

Another question, I generally have a Leatherman "micra" tool in my pocket. Its scissors are handy for cutting the cable ties off my bags when I fly. Anyone offer any evidence that may cause a problem? Not that it's proof one way or the other, but I just completed a cruise on Carnival with that tool in my pocket every time I went on/off the ship.

Thanks for your experiences!

Doug

Your cork screw wine opener should be OK, but not the knife. I have a small pen knife, the kind with the tiny scissors, nail file, and 1" blade knife with tooth pick & tweezers. It went thru the x-ray machine with my cell phone and belt buckle, and they confiscated it for both legs of a B2B cruise back in 2013. Said it was a weapon. I argued with them and tried to equate it with the steak knife I get in the dining room, but they would not give in. Since then, I always leave it in my pocket when I walk thru the x-ray machine as it's not enough metal to set off the machine.

Your leatherman may make it thru if it's on your checked luggage, but I would not carry it on or off the ship.

My husband has had his Swiss Army confiscated when he carried it in his pocket. This was on Celebrity. These days he packs it and has had no problems.

The larger Swiss Army knife will set off the walk-thru machine.

DH’s Leatherman has resulted in a few trips to the naughty room, and the inconvenience of having to get it back at the end of the cruise. so he leaves it at home these days. We have a plastic corkscrew now, and that causes no problems at all!

I keep a small knife with wine opener in my shaving kit when I travel. I always put it in my checked bag. Never had a problem having that in our cabin. I did once have a similar knife (2.75 inch blade) in my shore bag (containing t-Shirts, etc) when I went on shore from the Celebrity Century and I was "relieved" at the screening machine as I returned from shore. Not a big deal as I usually do not need nor carry even a small pocket knife ashore.

I have travel on Celebrity and most other of the major cruise lines without ever having a problem with that knife/wine opener in my checked bags. But I guess I am getting paranoid in my old age.....can anyone offer any evidence that Celebrity will confiscate my knife/wine opener in my checked bag? I know what Ceelb's web site says about any sharp item (what the heck is that?), but surely this doesn't apply?

Another question, I generally have a Leatherman "micra" tool in my pocket. Its scissors are handy for cutting the cable ties off my bags when I fly. Anyone offer any evidence that may cause a problem? Not that it's proof one way or the other, but I just completed a cruise on Carnival with that tool in my pocket every time I went on/off the ship.

Doug

I always pack my Swiss army knife in checked bag--never a problem.

If you want scissors, get a cheap pair of folding travel scissors. I have a pair, never been a problem. They're TSA approved, small, and when folded don't even look like scissors. I think I got mine at a dollar store somewhere. Or maybe a craft store. Regardless, they were only a couple bucks.

You should be able to buy a cheap corkscrew on board, they have souvenir ones. Or get a very cheap travel one, they should be easy to find in most wine/liquor stores.

The good thing about those is if they do get confiscated, no worries - they're cheap and easy to replace if necessary.

I have a Swiss Army knife in my shaving kit that I've taken on more Celebrity cruises in checked luggage than I can remember.

Three cruises ago it was confiscated, and held till the end of the cruise when I collected it as we left the ship.

In the cruises since it has passed through with no problems.

I suspect based on my experience not all bags are inspected to the same level, and it's really a coin toss if it is located and if so confiscated.

This is on the Celebrity website and addresses your question:

The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Candles & Incense
  • Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • **Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

This is on the Celebrity website and addresses your question:

The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors. (See note below)
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Candles & Incense
  • Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • **Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages (Not sure what the double asterisk means since it was not included in this post.)

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

Not sure that anything on the Celebrity website actually answers anyone's questions.......They are so inconsistent with just about everything. The difference between the website and personnel in Miami vs. the on board experience is like night and day.

To the OP: I have always carried a Swiss Army knife as well as a scissors in my carry-on and have never had a problem.

Doug

On our first cruise ever hubby had a small swiss army knife in his checked suitcase. Southwest didn't mind but Infinity pulled his bag and when we returned from dinner there was a message to report to the purser's office to claim our bag because they "found a weapon" in his bag!! When we got there the purser was laughing as he turned over hubby's bag and I was laughing at the table filled with irons. He still carries it because it's so versatile but it hasn't been picked up again so you just never know, but if you want it, bring it. The worst that will happen is they'll hold it until the end of the cruise.

As for the scissor tool frankly I'd be more concerned about the airline confiscating than X. At least if X takes it, they'll give it back....the airlines just keep it!

Not to be picky, but it isn't the airline that keeps things--it's TSA.

Good point. I had TSA take a cheap, but sentimental give to me by my daughter, wine bottle opener from me when leaving Anchorage, AK. I told them I wanted it back. My wife took my book bag and I went back to the non scanned side of security and they handed it back to me after telling me that the airlines might check it for me.

Delta did. They put in a padded envelope and gave me a luggage ticket. Got to Atlanta and what did not show up? Went to lost luggage and the first pic was the envelope.

2 days later, someone delivered it to my house, leaving it on front porch.

Doug

I always carry our corkscrew/wine opener in our first aid kit in our checked luggage. The foil cutter is the knife type that is 1.25 inches long. No issues.

Doug

I have a large Swiss Army knife plus a wine opener that I put in checked luggage, not a problem.

Dave

Thanks to all who replied. After I posted my original question, my wife reminded me we will not have any wine of this Celebrity cruise. We're flying to the port, and won't have time to get our "free" bottles. In any event, we have drinks available to us at Michael's (we're in a suite this time). So, no need for the wine opener! I'll just remove the Swiss Army know with the wine opener before we leave home. My Leatherman tool is another problem. It does have a tiny knife blade and scissors on it....but I also like the screw driver tips on it; I think I've used those on every cruise I've taken....something always seems to come loose. Last cruise I used the screwdriver tip to tighter the knob on our closet door for instance. I don't yet now what I will do with the Leatherman.....if I do take it I will carry it in my checked bag, not on my person.

Sounds like my odds of having no difficulties are much higher than getting "caught" and having to get my knife/tool at the end of the cruise, but I don't want the hassle, so I will probably go "weaponless" on the cruise. Has anyone seen what you can do with a Bic pen? <g>

So I can't bring a 1" pen knife aboard but I can get all the steak knives I want in mdr. Can even request one from room service. This is security?

That was my logic also about 15 years ago when my smallish pocket knife was confiscated until the end of the cruise. I was a police officer at the time, and figured I'd request a meeting with their head of security to "talk logic". You know, professional courtesy and all that.....Well, I was able to talk to the gentleman, but no amount of logic on my part, including your comment, swayed him!:o

If I bring anything, it will be my little Leatherman Micra stored in my shaving kit, to remain in my shaving kit unless I need it to file something, cut something small (got a 1.5 inch blade), or use its scissors or the screw driver tips. I cannot imagine traveling without those tools ANYWHERE! So handy to have when things invariably need "tinkering". But, any of my knives, including the 2 inch, non-locking blade pocket folders, will remain at home. Hopefully I will not need them......if I need a knife, I can always sneak down to the MDR and borrow a steak knife, eh? ;)

That was my logic also about 15 years ago when my smallish pocket knife was confiscated until the end of the cruise. I was a police officer at the time, and figured I'd request a meeting with their head of security to "talk logic". You know, professional courtesy and all that.....Well, I was able to talk to the gentleman, but no amount of logic on my part, including your comment, swayed him!:o

If I bring anything, it will be my little Leatherman Micra stored in my shaving kit, to remain in my shaving kit unless I need it to file something, cut something small (got a 1.5 inch blade), or use its scissors or the screw driver tips. I cannot imagine traveling without those tools ANYWHERE! So handy to have when things invariably need "tinkering". But, any of my knives, including the 2 inch, non-locking blade pocket folders, will remain at home. Hopefully I will not need them......if I need a knife, I can always sneak down to the MDR and borrow a steak knife, eh? ;)

You don't need to sneak down to MDR to get a steak knife....just call your cabin attendant and ask him to bring you a fresh orange and a sharp knife...:halo: