Just visited San Juan on Freedom.

ATLfuzzy

I will say ship excursions were limited. Bacardi open , bike tours, both forts, old town, shops and restaurants. Of course rainforest devastated. I am not sure about rest of the island - I’m sure it isn’t in as good of shape.

Be flexible and you will find something to do. They were SO glad to see us.

We did walking food tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I saw a somewhat different SJ . . . Many or most of the shops on Fortelenza, the main shopping street, had generators sitting outside their doors, some gave you flashlights to see the merchandise in the stores, most of the local shops had “cash only”signs in their windows. Speaking to several employees in the various stores told a sad story about how difficult the every day necessities are to obtain.

This is just what we saw and experienced. I’m sure SJ conditions varied for everyone.

I saw a somewhat different SJ . . . Many or most of the shops on Fortelenza, the main shopping street, had generators sitting outside their doors, some gave you flashlights to see the merchandise in the stores, most of the local shops had “cash only”signs in their windows. Speaking to several employees in the various stores told a sad story about how difficult the every day necessities are to obtain.

This is just what we saw and experienced. I’m sure SJ conditions varied for everyone.

How could they vary? What date was your visit?

I will say ship excursions were limited. Bacardi open , bike tours, both forts, old town, shops and restaurants. Of course rainforest devastated. I am not sure about rest of the island - I’m sure it isn’t in as good of shape.

Be flexible and you will find something to do. They were SO glad to see us.

We did walking food tour.

I was thinking of doing that very tour! Did you enjoy it? I'm not a picky eater, but then again I really don't go for things like fish with the head still on. I'd love to hear about what you ate/drank on this tour, if you don't mind sharing...

I was thinking of doing that very tour! Did you enjoy it? I'm not a picky eater, but then again I really don't go for things like fish with the head still on. I'd love to hear about what you ate/drank on this tour, if you don't mind sharing...

I signed up for that tour later this month. So while I can't give first hand experience, I will say that it is highly rated on trip advisor and you can cut out the middle man (RC) and book directly through the tour company. With coupon code we paid $79 per adult, RC was charging $109 per adult in the cruise planner.

I signed up for that tour later this month. So while I can't give first hand experience, I will say that it is highly rated on trip advisor and you can cut out the middle man (RC) and book directly through the tour company. With coupon code we paid $79 per adult, RC was charging $109 per adult in the cruise planner.

Great tip, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How could they vary?

People will go down different streets. Talk to different people. Be bothered by different things.

Cruisers have been in SJ since 10/7 and I’ve mainly heard overall good things, so the OP doesn’t surprise me. Maybe the OP and responders here haven’t read all the posts I have and that’s why they seem surprised.

I wouldn’t be bothered by generators or flashlights. Others would. We are all different.

We arrived in Old San Jaun on Thanksgiving Day. While not everything was open we found enough restaurants, coffee shops, souvenir shops, etc. open and excited to have us. Several took our credit card. Walking along the pier in OSJ was a new experience for us and fun!

We did a land tour with Ellis and had a great time, even though some of the places we visited are a long way from recovery. Check out his facebook page and check his Nov, 25 post. We were his first tour since Maria. It will be one of our most rememberable times in PR. https://www.facebook.com/EllisPRTours

Do not hesitate to go to Puerto Rico!

Shirley

Yes the tour was GREAT! Highly recommended!!

Went to chocolate maker shop, had chocolate and a ham cheese sandwich on local bread ......then to place where we made mojotos and then had mofongo